NFL playoffs....

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741

i like college. i'm a psu guy myself. i just cant help but lose some interest once your team loses a game or two and has zero shot at winning a championship because of the fraudulent bowl system. still hard to believe its 2010 and they still utilize such an archaic way of determing a national champion. i really don't see how you can't still have all the other meaningless bowls and just have the top 4 teams in a bcs playoff type deal. you can have 2 semi final bowls on new years day and then still do the national championship a week later like they do now. to me, that's the simpliest way of changing things and appeasing the most people without changing the current system too drastically, thus ensuring sponsors and shit won't lose out on much more $....

I hear you Jeags, there are a lot of things wrong with the system but I think the BCS does get it right most of the time. The whole thing comes down to, how can you tell games like the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl they are meaningless semi-final games and in addition, can you expect the PSU, or some other schools fan base to travel all the way across the country two weeks in a row? I think if the Rose Bowl were a semi final game it would lose a whole lot of its swagger and would have trouble selling tickets.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

i like college. i'm a psu guy myself. i just cant help but lose some interest once your team loses a game or two and has zero shot at winning a championship because of the fraudulent bowl system. still hard to believe its 2010 and they still utilize such an archaic way of determing a national champion. i really don't see how you can't still have all the other meaningless bowls and just have the top 4 teams in a bcs playoff type deal. you can have 2 semi final bowls on new years day and then still do the national championship a week later like they do now. to me, that's the simpliest way of changing things and appeasing the most people without changing the current system too drastically, thus ensuring sponsors and shit won't lose out on much more $....

I hear you Jeags, there are a lot of things wrong with the system but I think the BCS does get it right most of the time. The whole thing comes down to, how can you tell games like the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl they are meaningless semi-final games and in addition, can you expect the PSU, or some other schools fan base to travel all the way across the country two weeks in a row? I think if the Rose Bowl were a semi final game it would lose a whole lot of its swagger and would have trouble selling tickets.
    does anyone outside of the Big Ten and Pac 10 care at all about the Rose bowl though? to everyone else in the country its just another BCS bowl game. they would have a lot more meaning to me if they were playoff games, not less. they wouldnt have any trouble selling tickets. the travelling is tough tough maybe, but the basketball teams do it all the time.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Yup, the San Diego Chargers ladies and gentlemen ... the Philadelphia Eagles of the AFC.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    MrSmith wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

does anyone outside of the Big Ten and Pac 10 care at all about the Rose bowl though? to everyone else in the country its just another BCS bowl game. they would have a lot more meaning to me if they were playoff games, not less. the travelling is tough tough maybe, but the basketball teams do it all the time.

Good question. The Rose Bowl has always been important to me since I am a PSU fan. I do think the Rose Bowl is a New Years Day staple though and in my opinion it would lose something if it were a semi final.

Difference with basketball and football is the number of people. A lot less people are travelling for basketball. You are talking 30,000 fans from each school in some of the bigger bowls.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,629
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you Jeags, there are a lot of things wrong with the system but I think the BCS does get it right most of the time. The whole thing comes down to, how can you tell games like the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl they are meaningless semi-final games and in addition, can you expect the PSU, or some other schools fan base to travel all the way across the country two weeks in a row? I think if the Rose Bowl were a semi final the game it would lose a whole lot of its swagger and would have trouble selling tickets.

but aren't those bowls even more meaningless now? 1 and 2 play in the bcs championship game a week after those games take place...and those games have absolutely no bearing on the championship game in this current system. under my plan, they will have more meaning. and they can rotate them each year.

not sure about travelling. you may have a point there. but fans travel for college basketball every march though. i don't know.

disagree on the swagger though. do you see less swagger in the nfc and afc championship games? that's essentially what this will be like. and if you make them the only two games on new years, i think it will add to the aura of the games.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you Jeags, there are a lot of things wrong with the system but I think the BCS does get it right most of the time. The whole thing comes down to, how can you tell games like the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl they are meaningless semi-final games and in addition, can you expect the PSU, or some other schools fan base to travel all the way across the country two weeks in a row? I think if the Rose Bowl were a semi final the game it would lose a whole lot of its swagger and would have trouble selling tickets.

but aren't those bowls even more meaningless now? 1 and 2 play in the bcs championship game a week after those games take place...and those games have absolutely no bearing on the championship game in this current system. under my plan, they will have more meaning. and they can rotate them each year.

not sure about travelling. you may have a point there. but fans travel for college basketball every march though. i don't know.

disagree on the swagger though. do you see less swagger in the nfc and afc championship games? that's essentially what this will be like. and if you make them the only two games on new years, i think it will add to the aura of the games.

I hear you and I am definitely in the minority on this but I do think the Rose Bowl would lose something if it were not the final game of the season for both teams. I don't know....it just seems like playing in the Rose Bowl is such an accomplishment and if it were only step one, it would lose something. I definitely hear what you are saying though. But really, do you really think Boise State or TCU would have put up at all of a fight against Texas or Alabama. I sure as hell don't.
  • well its official: winning your last couple regular season games when you're not fighting for a playoff spot means exactly jack shit now.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hear you and I am definitely in the minority on this but I do think the Rose Bowl would lose something if it were not the final game of the season for both teams. I don't know....it just seems like playing in the Rose Bowl is such an accomplishment and if it were only step one, it would lose something. I definitely hear what you are saying though. But really, do you really think Boise State or TCU would have put up at all of a fight against Texas or Alabama. I sure as hell don't.
    i dont put anything past Boise St at this point. they're one of the best programs in the country.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,629
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i don't really know. probably not. at least with a little playoff we'd get to find out...if they are in the top 4
    www.myspace.com
  • now who do i have to blow to get my hands on some NFC championship tix?

I do agree that the games would have a different atmosphere, much more like the AFC and NFC championship games probably. I guess that would be a good thing and I am probably just being nostalgic about it.
  • Doesn't seem like the Chargers do this every year???

Big season....
    High expectations....
    Get into the playoffs....

LOSE!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Favre VS. Jets Superbowl???

The media will eat this up....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Doesn't seem like the Chargers do this every year???

Big season....
    High expectations....
    Get into the playoffs....

LOSE!!!!!

thus why I said ....
    jimed14 wrote:
    Yup, the San Diego Chargers ladies and gentlemen ... the Philadelphia Eagles of the AFC.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,845
    Let's see if I can do better than last week :lol:

San Diego over NY Jets
    Balt. over Indy (almost beat them earlier in the year)
    Dal. over Minn. (I hate this pick but Dal. looks too good)
    New Orleans over Ari. (this could go either way. Arizona is playing real well, while the Saints kinda struggled towards the end).

LOL well on the bright side i still did better than last week :lol:

How the hell did the Jets win? :x

Yeah Speedy if jets and Minni make it the media will eat that up.

Vikings vs Saints should be a great game. I'm kinda pulling for the Saints though. 35-31

Jets vs Colts. Rematch from Super Bowl III. I'll go with the Jets though, 16-7
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    So hoping for Brett vs. Payton....now that's a Superbowl
    Sawyer wrote:

I'll bet the networks agree with you.

the hype for this would be off the charts.

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    jimed14 wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:

the nfl/networks would hype a wet fart if they needed to ;)
    Let's see if I can do better than last week :lol:

San Diego over NY Jets
    Balt. over Indy (almost beat them earlier in the year)
    Dal. over Minn. (I hate this pick but Dal. looks too good)
    New Orleans over Ari. (this could go either way. Arizona is playing real well, while the Saints kinda struggled towards the end).

LOL well on the bright side i still did better than last week :lol:

How the hell did the Jets win? :x

Yeah Speedy if jets and Minni make it the media will eat that up.

Vikings vs Saints should be a great game. I'm kinda pulling for the Saints though. 35-31

Jets vs Colts. Rematch from Super Bowl III. I'll go with the Jets though, 16-7

Holy shit man, you must quite possibly be the worst ever at picking winners ;) ....didn't you go 0-4 last week? Just horrid buddy....Jets Jets Jets!!
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    speaking of wet farts...

the pro bowl already sucked but now they move it to the week before the super bowl...which means that the players from the teams in the super bowl that were picked to go to the pro bowl, won't play :?

so the players from the 2 best teams aren't playing in the all star game...k :roll:
    norm wrote:
    speaking of wet farts...

the pro bowl already sucked but now they move it to the week before the super bowl...which means that the players from the teams in the super bowl that were picked to go to the pro bowl, won't play :?

so the players from the 2 best teams aren't playing in the all star game...k :roll:

Norm, are you really worried about the fucking pro bowl at this point? People actually watch that garbage? I know the players certainly don't give a shit about it..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    norm wrote:
    speaking of wet farts...

Norm, are you really worried about the fucking pro bowl at this point? People actually watch that garbage? I know the players certainly don't give a shit about it..

well that's my point?? no one gives a shit anyway why not just leave in hawaii and let all the guys play...shit i didn't say i watch the fucker but trying to make it relevant when it never will be is just...sad :lol::lol:
  • norm wrote:
    speaking of wet farts...

yeah i bet a lot of the players that just got kncked out of the playoffs wont be too crazy abut going either.

at first i liked the idea, but now i dont know. its pretty bad either way.
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    I accidentally slept through the Dallas game this morning, and apparently so did the Cowboys, uhggg :cry::cry::cry:

oh well, its about 1/100th as fun now, but I'm going for Old Man to win it all this year. I hold no grudges against no. 4. Its kind of a cool story so far that he finally had a good game against Dallas, WAIT NO ITS NOT :evil: :evil: :evil:

Oh well, go Favre :| Cowboys will be back in the hunt next year!
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    jimed14 wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:

can you imagine the amount of favre dick sucking ESPN and other networks are going to do if this happens. I would love to see it too, but will definately stay away from NFL related news for The two weeks prior to the SB
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    jimed14 wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:

can you imagine the amount of favre dick sucking ESPN and other networks are going to do if this happens. I would love to see it too, but will definately stay away from NFL related news for The two weeks prior to the SB

This is why I am hoping for a Saints/Colts superbowl.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Saints/Colts with the Saints going marching.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    fuck #4

i hope the Saints knock him into retirement.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    81 wrote:
    fuck #4

i hope the Saints knock him into retirement.

They will. But then he will just whore himself out to the next team after holding them hostage until training camp is over. Vikings fans aren't going to feel too great after he loses next week and then retires again and they are stuck with Tavarius Jackson.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13