edited May 2011 in The Porch

.....thats all im saying
have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    I hope you are right....

Do you speak from knowledge or is this just a wild guess?
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    I have my fingers crossed...I need my live P.J. fix.
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    its not a wild guess......it has some knowledge behind it.......waiting for some people to get back to me to confirm it.................
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
    joe2468 wrote:

.....thats all im saying

• Options
    joe2468 wrote:
    its not a wild guess......it has some knowledge behind it.......waiting for some people to get back to me to confirm it.................

I was kind of hoping that US shows would not be announced until after Christmas but I'll buy tickets if they do go on sale next week!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,947
    I was kind of hoping that US/CDN shows would not be announced until after Christmas but I'll buy tickets if they do go on sale next week!
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,890
    why so early? 6, 7 months in advance? I was shocked when U2 put tix on sale for a July date at Soldier Field a couple weeks ago. seems like PJ isnt too far behind.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    Joe knows his shit.
  • Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    That would be sweet! Thanks for the info
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    why so early? 6, 7 months in advance? I was shocked when U2 put tix on sale for a July date at Soldier Field a couple weeks ago. seems like PJ isnt too far behind.

I agree! It's kind of ridiculous that bands are putting tickets on sale so far in advance. It's as if the promoters are in the hole and trying to cover some cashflow issues.

"We're short this month, well let's put tickets up for sale for (Fill In The Blank Band), I don't care if the tour isn't until 2011! We need cash!"
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options

I agree! It's kind of ridiculous that bands are putting tickets on sale so far in advance. It's as if the promoters are in the hole and trying to cover some cashflow issues.

"We're short this month, well let's put tickets up for sale for (Fill In The Blank Band), I don't care if the tour isn't until 2011! We need cash!"

that's the first reason that came to mind for me too, that the promoters and ticket sellers are just trying to fatten their 2009 numbers.
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    That's the thing. It isn't all that early. Given the Europe dates, if a US/Canada tour is announced in the next 2 weeks, it would almost surely be BEFORE Europe, so likely mid April to the end of May. That is really only 4 months early, which is typical for Pearl Jam.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options

that's the first reason that came to mind for me too, that the promoters and ticket sellers are just trying to fatten their 2009 numbers.
    At the expense of sounding like a nerdy accountant here, I doubt that is the reason. Although I have never been involved with this industry specifically, my guess is that they don't "recognize" the revenue for a concert until the show happens. So these shows would not fatten up 2009 profit numbers. Would give them cash in the bank though, which they may need - although a large portion of that likely goes directly to the artist almost immediately.

Also unsure on the artist's end when they get paid. They may not get a cent either until the show happens. But in all likelihood they get a substantial portion up front to allow them to arrange the logistics of the tour, which likely includes many up front costs for things like merch, equipment, etc.
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    That's the thing. It isn't all that early. Given the Europe dates, if a US/Canada tour is announced in the next 2 weeks, it would almost surely be BEFORE Europe, so likely mid April to the end of May. That is really only 4 months early, which is typical for Pearl Jam.

yeah, but I would expect an April US tour to be announced in February, and then a June Euro tour around April. the 2009 dates were anounced on July 9 with the first show on Sept. 21.

doesnt matter to me, just found it interesting. I'd rather know as early as possible, so this is good.
  • Options
    Aaron 23Aaron 23 Allen, TX Posts: 534
    I am all sorts of down with Pearl Jam announcing their dates early. In fact, if they'd like to PM me their dates through 2050, right now, I will be sure to save up and attend whenever/wherever! :D
  • Options
    Yes! we get to hear the upcoming dates in Boston, Chicago, Philly, San Diego, New York, Camden. :roll:

same ol same ol.
  • Options
    I honestly don't know if I could handle more PJ after that stand in Philly. I say let Europe have them for while.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Yes! we get to hear the upcoming dates in Boston, Chicago, Philly, San Diego, New York, Camden. :roll:

same ol same ol.
    as long as Boston is on that list ! :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:

yeah, but I would expect an April US tour to be announced in February, and then a June Euro tour around April. the 2009 dates were anounced on July 9 with the first show on Sept. 21.

doesnt matter to me, just found it interesting. I'd rather know as early as possible, so this is good.
    True, but that was one of the tightest time frames between an announcement and the related shows. For the '05 Canadian tour, the tickets were sold by 10C in April for September shows (5 months). 2008 was 3 months ahead of time, 2007 was 4-5 months). Maybe they need more time with international tours than they do with US tours.
  • Options
    But the question is which cities?
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options

same ol same ol.
    as long as Boston is on that list ! :D
    :lol:
  • Options
    "At the expense of sounding like a nerdy accountant here, I doubt that is the reason. Although I have never been involved with this industry specifically, my guess is that they don't "recognize" the revenue for a concert until the show happens. So these shows would not fatten up 2009 profit numbers. Would give them cash in the bank though, which they may need - although a large portion of that likely goes directly to the artist almost immediately.

Also unsure on the artist's end when they get paid. They may not get a cent either until the show happens. But in all likelihood they get a substantial portion up front to allow them to arrange the logistics of the tour, which likely includes many up front costs for things like merch, equipment, etc."

Speaking as a nerdy accountant too, :geek: I agree it has nothing to do with padding the Profit and Loss, but with covering cash flow. And I would think it is more the promoter's then the band.

And it is smart on the promoters to sell the tickets now rather then after the holidays when people realize how much they overspent on gifts when that credit card statement comes! ;)
  • Options
    what do you think the likelihood is they'll do a cross canada tour again like in 2005? If they announce US dates, should I snag those tickets and book a flight to Seattle banking on they may not come back to the Peg on this tour?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    what do you think the likelihood is they'll do a cross canada tour again like in 2005?

i think it's pretty likely and seeing as how i have no idea take that for what is worth.....nothing.
  • Options
    US dates are def coming soon, no way they announce European dates and no US dates :)
  • Options
    I honestly don't know if I could handle more PJ after that stand in Philly. I say let Europe have them for while.
    blasphemy
  • Options
    by the spring / summer comes we will be ready for some more pearl jam :)
  • Options
    by the spring / summer comes we will be ready for some more pearl jam :)

True, but I won't go crazy like I did this year..... I say that now... :oops:
  • Options
    i am thinking the same thing, but once those dates are put out there, you get that adrenaline and say F*ck it lol
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    "At the expense of sounding like a nerdy accountant here, I doubt that is the reason. Although I have never been involved with this industry specifically, my guess is that they don't "recognize" the revenue for a concert until the show happens. So these shows would not fatten up 2009 profit numbers. Would give them cash in the bank though, which they may need - although a large portion of that likely goes directly to the artist almost immediately.

Also unsure on the artist's end when they get paid. They may not get a cent either until the show happens. But in all likelihood they get a substantial portion up front to allow them to arrange the logistics of the tour, which likely includes many up front costs for things like merch, equipment, etc."

Speaking as a nerdy accountant too, :geek: I agree it has nothing to do with padding the Profit and Loss, but with covering cash flow. And I would think it is more the promoter's then the band.

And it is smart on the promoters to sell the tickets now rather then after the holidays when people realize how much they overspent on gifts when that credit card statement comes! ;)

And it is smart on the promoters to sell the tickets now rather then after the holidays when people realize how much they overspent on gifts when that credit card statement comes! ;)[/quote]

As a nerdy CPA who DOES work with music clients:

The promoter gets their funds from the ticket issuer (Ticketmaster) after the show.

The band gets their money after the show. Their agent may collect a 50% deposit from the promoter now, but that money sits in the agent's "client trust account" until after the show.

The idea is to keep the monies with a secure middleman, ie. the agent & Ticketmaster.