Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather March 13, 2010

Comments

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... ito-boxing

Manny Pacquiao takes his place among the greatest fighters of all time

Manny Pacquiao, surely, has every right now to be considered among the top two or three greatest fighters of all time.

Who was better? Sugar Ray Robinson, probably. Sugar Ray Leonard, possibly. Muhammad Ali, perhaps. Joe Louis? Little Jimmy Wilde? Henry Armstrong? The debate just got more heated.

What the little man did to Antonio Margarito, fully 17lb heavier than him, in Texas on Saturday night – even from this televisual distance – was extraordinary in many ways.

If Audley Harrison woke up after the worst night of his own career and watched tape of the fight – which delivered the Filipino his eighth world title at a different weight, this one at light-middle – it surely will have made further inroads into his shattered self-esteem.

Hours earlier in Manchester Harrison disgraced himself. He weighed three stone more than David Haye, stood three inches taller than him, outreached him by eight inches ... and landed one punch worth the name before being blasted into the night in round three.

Audley compounded his crime by refusing to admit he had let himself down. He offered one lame excuse after another. He could not face up to the truth that in his first and last challenge for the world heavyweight title he froze.

What Pacquiao did, meanwhile, against the unnaturally tough Margarito over 12 of the most exhilarating rounds boxing has seen in several years was beyond mere boxing.

This was a fight that dragged them both to the limit of their commitment to an undertaking that often seems to defy logic.

"I can see," Margarito said on his stool at the end of the 10th, ignoring the purpled, bleeding lumps around his eyes. "Please don't stop the fight."

Midway through the next round Pacquiao – who had taken plenty of punishment himself – briefly paused in his assault and cast a pleading glance towards the referee, urging him to stop it. The referee took a cursory look at Margarito's horrible wounds and waved it on, an astonishing misjudgment.

In the final round Pacquiao, maybe for the only time in his career, went through the motions, unwilling to inflict further punishment, just doing enough to secure the win.

It was an act of subtle compassion. He could have destroyed an opponent once caught going into a fight with loaded gloves who, only a week ago was filmed mocking the Parkinson's Disease shaking of Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach. But he did not. He guided his beaten foe to the line.

He is a great champion, perhaps an even greater human being.

Anyone who needs convincing now that Pacquiao is already worth his place among boxing's all-time elite (including Floyd Mayweather Jr) is as blind as Margarito almost was in the ring on Saturday night.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    I believe the Pac-Man asked the ref to stop the fight, just another sign of how great a champion this guy really is. This after Margarito mocked Freddie Roach and he still held back punishment even though he could have continued the destruction of AM.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    g under p wrote:
    I believe the Pac-Man asked the ref to stop the fight, just another sign of how great a champion this guy really is. This after Margarito mocked Freddie Roach and he still held back punishment even though he could have continued the destruction of AM.

Peace

The fight should have been stopped and Manny is right, boxing is not about hurting a person long term. I am usually all for letting it go as long as possible and giving the guy losing a shot at getting lucky with one swing but that clearly was not going to happen from the 10th on. Margarito was slow, weak, had that horrible gash and both eyes were shut. There was no reason for the fight to go on and Manny did the right thing. He looked at the ref once or twice in the 11 asking him to stop it as he was toying with Margarito.

As for the mocking, there is obviously no love lost between the camps leading up to the fight but Manny didn't want to do permament damage.
    It's pretty obvious why Mayweather wont fight Manny

Manny can take punches from these guys there is no way Mayweather can hurt him

I can't wait for the next round of excuses

:roll:

I don't think Floyd will really try and hurt him all that much. Get in and out, play defense, and let the fight go 12. It will be interesting to see, Manny will want to brawl and Mayweather will play defense.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It's pretty obvious why Mayweather wont fight Manny

Manny can take punches from these guys there is no way Mayweather can hurt him

I can't wait for the next round of excuses

:roll:

I don't think Floyd will really try and hurt him all that much. Get in and out, play defense, and let the fight go 12. It will be interesting to see, Manny will want to brawl and Mayweather will play defense.

You follow boxing much more than I do...is this fight ever gonna happen ?

Or are we just pissing in the wind
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    8 weight classes!! ... that's ridiculous!! ...

i'm not sure why manny won't take the steroid test ... anyways - the fight should have been stopped, if not by the ref but at least by his corner ... i guess he just wanted to say he didn't get knocked out - which is honorable in a way but could be a real stupid decision ... from what i read - manny was running the clock in the 12th a bit and didn't want to hurt him some more ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    8 weight classes!! ... that's ridiculous!! ...

i'm not sure why manny won't take the steroid test ... anyways - the fight should have been stopped, if not by the ref but at least by his corner ... i guess he just wanted to say he didn't get knocked out - which is honorable in a way but could be a real stupid decision ... from what i read - manny was running the clock in the 12th a bit and didn't want to hurt him some more ...

Why should he have to take any tests that aren't required for boxing ?

I wouldn't either....Mayweather is just ducking him
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Why should he have to take any tests that aren't required for boxing ?

I wouldn't either....Mayweather is just ducking him

well ... assuming he is fighting clean ... what's it gonna hurt to do it ... if that's what its gotta take to make this fight happen ...
  • My drinking team has a hockey problem

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ja ... ao-twitter

Floyd Mayweather challenges Manny Pacquiao on Twitter to 5 May bout

• 'Step up punk,' writes Mayweather on Twitter
    • Mayweather clear to fight after recent court ruling

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 11 January 2012

Floyd Mayweather Jr has taken his quest for a fight with Manny Pacquiao to Twitter. The unbeaten boxer called out the Filipino superstar on Tuesday, daring Pacquiao to meet him on 5 May.

Mayweather and Pacquiao are boxing's top two stars, and they have circled each other warily for more than two years. Both have said they're eager to fight, yet neither has agreed to a deal for what's likely to be the most lucrative bout in boxing history.

Mayweather has stepped up his campaign since Pacquiao's narrow win over Juan Manuel Márquez last November, culminating in Tuesday's gauntlet-throwing. "Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see," he wrote. "My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk."

Mayweather first proposed the date last November, when his adviser Leonard Ellerbe revealed that they had booked the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The promoter Richard Schaefer, chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions, said: "We have informed the pay-per-view industry and I have the arena on hold."

The bout seemed unlikely to take place until last week, when a Las Vegas judge agreed to postpone Mayweather's jail sentence in a domestic violence case until June. Pacquiao has yet to respond to Mayweather's challenge, and his last Twitter update was almost a month ago.
    What a sorry excuse from Pacquiao now. They really think they are going to make more money off an extra 20,000 seats. Please. I would have to imagine less than 1% of the purse is from gate receipts.

"Manny Pacquiao's camp says there is no economic sense in setting up a bout with Floyd Mayweather on May 5 after the unbeaten American publicly challenged the Filipino champion via Twitter. Pacquiao's financial adviser Michael Koncz told The Associated Press on Thursday that a 45,000-seat boxing arena being built in Las Vegas won't be finished before the end of May and staging the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in a smaller venue is 'foolish from an economic standpoint.'"
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    The great intellect Mayweather says Manny is "not the sharpest knife in the drawer." Not everyone can be as educated as you, Floyd :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    The great intellect Mayweather says Manny is "not the sharpest knife in the drawer." Not everyone can be as educated as you, Floyd :roll:

They're both idiots. Glad they will probably end up fighting when they are 50. Fucking garbage.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

They're both idiots. Glad they will probably end up fighting when they are 50. Fucking garbage.

That's exactly what will happen. Both of these guys will be broke and washed up and then they will fight. Everyone involved in this on both sides is a fucking idiot. This would be one of the biggest fights in the history of boxing. Since boxing is probably the 15th most popular sport these days, I think they could use the boost. So dumb.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    why will Floyd not agree to 50/50? sounds about right to me :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

Last time I heard, I thought they were at 50/50 and Floyd called him personally to tell him that. The last issue was that they couldn't agree on a date, both of which were within a month of each other. Fucking clowns.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Last time I heard, I thought they were at 50/50 and Floyd called him personally to tell him that. The last issue was that they couldn't agree on a date, both of which were within a month of each other. Fucking clowns.

Whether it's 50/50 or not at this rate the fight won't happen IF Floyd keeps getting into trouble and ending getting locked up.

Either way The PAC MAN will gobble him up. I saw Pacquiao fight in Vegas and he should get 50/50 he's as much or more of a draw than Floyd. Due to the HUGE following i saw from Indonisia they packed Mandalay Bay arena.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

edited April 2015
    Post edited by g under p on

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I'm going out to watch it. I hope to spend less than 350,000
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    So I hear there's a figbt this weekend. Anyone I know?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    My brother was going to show the fight in the bar area of his bowling ally until he called Dish Network up and they said it would cost $16,500.

Jason P said:

My brother was going to show the fight in the bar area of his bowling ally until he called Dish Network up and they said it would cost $16,500.

Tell him to stream it on the first row web site for free. What a fuckin scam
    Jason P said:

I was wondering how that worked for bars. Holy shit.
    Wife is going out of town this weekend. Going to order the fight and have a bunch of people over Saturday. Derby and NBA/NHL playoffs going on too....Saturday is going to be a great day.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

Jason P said:

He was screwed because Dish had to take in to account the total capacity of the bowling ally, instead of just the bar alone. I think they charge $35 per occupant.
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

He was screwed because Dish had to take in to account the total capacity of the bowling ally, instead of just the bar alone. I think they charge $35 per occupant.
    Or he could stream the fight for free!!
  • JUST A GIRLJUST A GIRL Posts: 372
    Anyone can steam the fight for free. But that doesn't mean a business establishment should break the law and risk their licenses to show a fight illegally. That's in the best interest of no one.

Oh, and NO ONE CARES!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Tell me more about this free streaming....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

Tell me more about this free streaming....

I can't remember it off the top of my head, but the website is called something like www.thefirstrow.eu. There are a shit ton of ads and many Windows will open up on your device. But once the event is on, it's worth it.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Have a few guys coming over. Going to be a long, fun day
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015