• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    stay classy

garnett wasn't even the best player on that team :lol:

you never cease to amaze
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

college basketball and the NBA are totally different worlds though. brad stevens and what he does in college has no relevance to the NBA. as I said above the only way to win big in the NBA is by having one of the top 5 (and 5 might be a stretch) players. no chance to win a title without one of those. that's just how the game is setup in the NBA. it makes no difference if your coach is Phil Jackson or Latoya Jackson if you don't have one of those top players...right now the sixers have average talent and get a mediocre draft position. Unless they tank a season or two or somehow convince one of the top players (about a 1% chance) to come here in the next few years there is zero chance of winning big with this GM or any of the coaches mentioned. so can't be excited for the hire because without one of hose top players it's fairly insiginificant anyway.

do you think any team is winning a title in the next 5 years that doesn't have Lebron, Durant, Duncan (and this is probably his last chance), and maybe chris paul or derrick rose (if he ever actually decides it's time to play again) on it? I don't.

celtics won multiple titles without a top 5 player

#getaclueforonce

the Celtics have only won one title since 1986 and that was in 2008 and Kevin Garnett was 3rd in the MVP voting that year.

the 2004 Detroit Pistons are the only team in the last 20 years to win a title without a top 5 player.

#kissmyassyouknowitallpieceofshit
    #learntogooglebeforeopeningyourbigfnmouth

when getting owned, resort to name calling. hilarious

unlike some who frequent these treads, you don't have to worry about me running and telling on you
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    The Fixer wrote:

unlike some who frequent these treads, you don't have to worry about me running and telling on you

you can't even admit you were wrong from two posts up. :fp: typical

let me repeat it slowly for you...Celtics haven't won multiple titles since the 80s and garnett was 3rd in mvp voting in the year they did win.

#thusendeththelesson
    edited May 2013
    The Fixer wrote:
    stay classy

garnett wasn't even the best player on that team :lol:

you never cease to amaze

3rd in MVP voting and Defensive Player of the Year. #tryagain
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

let me repeat it slowly for you...Celtics haven't won multiple titles since the 80s and garnett was 3rd in mvp voting in the year they did win.

#thusendeththelesson

yeah, I was wrong. I thought boston won twice.

MVP voting. That is what you use to support your argument. :lol::lol:

Carmelo Anthony was only player besides lebron to get a first place vote this year. By your logic that means he's the second best player in the league.

You need help bro. lots and lots of help
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

#thusendeththelesson

yeah, I was wrong. I thought boston won twice.

MVP voting. That is what you use to support your argument. :lol::lol:

Carmelo Anthony was only player besides lebron to get a first place vote this year. By your logic that means he's the second best player in the league.

You need help bro. lots and lots of help

yes but Durant finished 2nd in the mvp voting, carmelo third. #tryonceagain
    pjhawks wrote:

ok, so you're saying carmelo is third best player in the league. Funny
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

show me where I ever said Carmelo was one of the top 5 players.

are you still disputing my comment about you need a top 5 player to win an NBA title? that's how all this started. please feel free to list the ones over the last 25 years or so who have won a title without one. you can use google if you like. i'll wait to be proven wrong as opposed to the opinion of a know it all.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

show me where I ever said Carmelo was one of the top 5 players.

are you still disputing my comment about you need a top 5 player to win an NBA title? that's how all this started. please feel free to list the ones over the last 25 years or so who have won a title without one. you can use google if you like. i'll wait to be proven wrong as opposed to the opinion of a know it all.

you said garnett was a top 5 player based on mvp voting. carmelo was top 5 in mvp voting. try to keep up, it's not that difficult.

It certainly helps to have a top 5 player, but it's not a requirement as you claim. Boston and Detroit are two examples. Dallas and Miami (pre-lebron) could make arguments as well.

Also, the real debate wasn't about NBA titles...it was more about sabermetrics being used as an effective tool for accurate performance analysis. Juggler wiped the mat with you, so I don't blame you for trying to change the subject. It's entertaining to see which posts you choose to respond to...and which you conveniently choose to ignore.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    what does # mean?
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    you said garnett was a top 5 player based on mvp voting. carmelo was top 5 in mvp voting. try to keep up, it's not that difficult.

It certainly helps to have a top 5 player, but it's not a requirement as you claim. Boston and Detroit are two examples. Dallas and Miami (pre-lebron) could make arguments as well.

Also, the real debate wasn't about NBA titles...it was more about sabermetrics being used as an effective tool for accurate performance analysis. Juggler wiped the mat with you, so I don't blame you for trying to change the subject. It's entertaining to see which posts you choose to respond to...and which you conveniently choose to ignore.

uhh my 1st response, and all subsequent ones, to you in this thread was in response to you saying Celtics won multiple titles (wrong) without a top 5 player (wrong).

anyways let';s go with FACTS:

17 of the last 20 title teams have included Lebron, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Jordan or Olajuwon. or as we like to call them 6 of the top 20 or so players in the history of the league. wow

only 2x has a team won without a 1st team all league player (2011 mavs with nowitzki who was 2nd team all league and 2004 pistons)

so yea your chance of winning one without a top 5 player are pretty darn low which was the point of the argument.

so unless hinkie convinces Lebron, Durant, Derrick Rose and maybe Chris Paul to come here or somehow performs a miracle and gets a top 5 player with a mediocre draft pick his advanced degrees and advanced stats aren't helping shit.

thanks for playing. goodnight
    edited May 2013
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I love the Hinkie hire. Hopefully this the beginning of the end of this endless cycle of terribleness.

Now get a young coach who can help the rebuild process

sabermetrics for basketball, dear god :fp:

if you don't get one of the top 5 players in the NBA you have ZERO chance to win a title. .

Here is your quote, which is accurately inaccurate

Detroit did it
    Boston did it
    Dallas did it
    Miami did it (pre-lebron) - this one is debateable

we are running out of space in your loss column. at least you will have the first pick again this year
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I love the Hinkie hire. Hopefully this the beginning of the end of this endless cycle of terribleness.

Now get a young coach who can help the rebuild process

if you don't get one of the top 5 players in the NBA you have ZERO chance to win a title. .

Here is your quote.

Detroit did it
    Boston did it
    Dallas did it
    Miami did it (pre-lebron)

we are running out of space in your loss column. at least you will have the first pick again this year

Shaq was on the 2006 Miami title team (and was 1ast team all nba) pre-LeBron - you are wrong again. seriously try google before you respond next time. http://www.google.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Here is your quote.

Detroit did it
    Boston did it
    Dallas did it
    Miami did it (pre-lebron)

Shaq was on the 2006 Miami title team pre-LeBron - you are wrong again. seriously try google before you respond next time. http://www.google.com

if you think shaq was a top 5 player in 2006 then you need even more help than I thought (which is a scary thought)
    shaq point totals in 2006 finals

13.6 PPG

Another good call by you...that's definitely a top 5 nba performance. :roll:
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    shaq point totals in 2006 finals

13.6 PPG

Another good call by you...that's definitely a top 5 nba performance. :roll:
    What's was his WAR???? :lol:
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

if you think shaq was a top 5 player in 2006 then you need even more help than I thought (which is a scary thought)

actually he is officially recognized by the NBA as a top 5 player in 2006 by being voted 1st team all league that season. again that's a historical fact written in NBA history books, not an opinion.

and you didn't even realize he was on that team until I pointed it out to you so not sure how you can even say that he was or wasn't a top 5 player that year.

i'll go with the official NBA records as opposed to your opinion.

thanks for playing.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

actually he is officially recognized by the NBA as a top 5 player in 2006 by being voted 1st team all league that season. again that's a historical fact written in NBA history books, not an opinion.

and you didn't even realize he was on that team until I pointed it out to you so not sure how you can even say that he was or wasn't a top 5 player that year.

thanks for playing.
    Why keep wasting your time? The dude will never tell you your correct.
    Go Birds!!!!
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/six ... ytics.html

Hall of Famer Larry Brown agrees with me on advanced statistics in basketball. feel free to bash him as well guys ;)
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    what does # mean?

It's a twitter hashtag.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

thanks for playing.

I think this is a silly argument but Shaq wasn't a top 5 player in 2006 but Wade was.

CP3 is overrated.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    pjhawks wrote:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20130521_Larry_Brown__Old-school_coaching_means_more_than_analytics.html

Hall of Famer Larry Brown agrees with me on advanced statistics in basketball. feel free to bash him as well guys ;)

is that supposed to surprise anyone? :?
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:
    what does # mean?

It's a twitter hashtag.

what is twitter?
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:
    what does # mean?

It's a twitter hashtag.

what is twitter?

Google it.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    pjhawks wrote:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20130521_Larry_Brown__Old-school_coaching_means_more_than_analytics.html

nope, great basketball minds like his and mine think alike :D
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

well he's 72 years old. i wouldn't expect someone that old to change his ways. yet in the article, he actually seems more open to advanced stats than you. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

thanks for playing.

dude, you are using awards voted on by beat writers and announcers.

you think shaq was still top 5 in the nba in 2006.

I have tried. there is no helping you. truly an exercise in futility
    pjhawks wrote:

well he's 72 years old. i wouldn't expect someone that old to change his ways. yet in the article, he actually seems more open to advanced stats than you. :lol:

I thought he was being facetious. I should have known better.

doug collins also said he'd rather blow his brains out than read statistical analytics (and when asked about analyzing the game he pointed to his gut and his head...what an idiot). That worked out well for him

Advanced stats are not the be-all-end-all, but for people to mock and ignore them is a caveman philosophy. I will never understand why people are violently opposed to potentially better methods. Like I said before, I think people shun analytics because they feel intimidated due to a lack of understanding/knowledge. These types of people probably hated laptops, the internet, cell phones, and ipods when they first came out.

I'm fired up about what hinkie brings to this organization. I have stated for the last decade that my biggest gripe about this team has been their lack of direction...having no discernible plan. Having a real GM is a huge step for them (think about how pathetic that is for the franchise in general). If nothing else they now have someone to lead this team. The fact that he brings cutting edge statistical theories is just an added bonus. And to those who love throwing around shortsighted claims and inaccuracies, he is also said to be one of the more ardent scouts for someone at his professional level, whether it be in person or on tape.

I really don't see the downside to this hire...probably because there isn't one. Everything with the sixers will be nascent. Based on their recent history, that is a very good thing.
    Trading Iggy and Vucevic and getting no return is why Doug's gone. Doug was to stuck in his ways and when you trade value and get nothing in return the end is near. I'm not a Doug guy but when you trade ur best player and a 7ft center your gonna be much worse. If Bynum played this season the Sixers probably win the east.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    If Bynum played this season the Sixers probably win the east.

wait what
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg