*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    pjhawks wrote:
    i'm just open minded and realize that the more info you can get on something, the better you can be.

here is my final say on this matter:

I've left your one quote above because that quote and my response below pretty much sums up my feelings on this subject as it pertains to the NBA.

your quote above is just a false premise. there is a point where the information you are providing is meaningless and the time you take to provide said information is wasted time. haven't you ever had to read a report at work that was 20 pages long, but in reality the 1 page summary is all you needed to know? just because someone charts something doesn't mean it's valuable.

as I will now say for about the 3rd or 4th time, basketball is not a complicated game, just because some really smart guys with Harvard and Stanford advanced degrees tell you it is doesn't make it so. my 1000 or so games playing basketball, seeing well over 500 live games, and watching thousands of other games tells me differently.

let's just leave it as we agree to disagree.

(PS: good to know you are open minded on the NBA, but still cling to old adages in the NFL about running the football :D )

where are you getting 20 pages from? these are stats like fg%. they take up a few spaces on a single sheet of paper. your 2nd paragraph, no offense, just typifies the dumbing down of this country to me. do you read usa today? :lol:

yes, i've seen countless games myself too. so has doug collins. yet doug collins continually allowed this team to take long 2's instead of coaching them to take step back beyond the arc and attempt a more efficient shot. doug's teams continually avoided driving to the basket and drawing a foul like it would have given them the plague. i like doug. i think he did a good overall job with the talent on this roster, but i think he could have benefited from utilizing some aspects of advanced stats.

the eagles offense was much more efficient when it had a better run pass ratio as opposed to throwing it 65% of the time with a qb like mike vick. that was never going to work and it's one of the reasons andy reid got himself fired.

Doug Collins has won more playoff series in the past 4 years than your new hires old team yet somehow your new hire is a 'great' hire already. like that other guy don't let facts get in the way of a good story. I love philly fans sometimes, I really do :fp:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

where are you getting 20 pages from? these are stats like fg%. they take up a few spaces on a single sheet of paper. your 2nd paragraph, no offense, just typifies the dumbing down of this country to me. do you read usa today? :lol:

yes, i've seen countless games myself too. so has doug collins. yet doug collins continually allowed this team to take long 2's instead of coaching them to take step back beyond the arc and attempt a more efficient shot. doug's teams continually avoided driving to the basket and drawing a foul like it would have given them the plague. i like doug. i think he did a good overall job with the talent on this roster, but i think he could have benefited from utilizing some aspects of advanced stats.

the eagles offense was much more efficient when it had a better run pass ratio as opposed to throwing it 65% of the time with a qb like mike vick. that was never going to work and it's one of the reasons andy reid got himself fired.

Doug Collins has won more playoff series in the past 4 years than your new hires old team yet somehow your new hire is a 'great' hire already. like that other guy don't let facts get in the way of a good story. I love philly fans sometimes, I really do :fp:

use your brain, dude.

pjhawks: apparently a fan of long 2's in basketball and throwing the ball 80% of the time in football. :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
    use your brain, dude.

pjhawks: apparently a fan of long 2's in basketball and throwing the ball 80% of the time in football. :thumbup:

like that other guy, when the facts dispute your claims resort to insults. don't put words in my mouth. at no point did I ever say anything like that about 2 point shots.

sorry for using official numbers about wins and losses and playoff wins to dispute the claims about how great the new hires old team has done with their advanced analytics guru's.

wouldn't you think that people who tout statistics would care most about the most important statistic in sports, you know wins and losses? funny how they don't especially when it doesn't support their case.
    pjhawks wrote:
    use your brain, dude.

like that other guy, when the facts dispute your claims resort to insults. don't put words in my mouth. at no point did I ever say anything like that about 2 point shots.

sorry for using official numbers about wins and losses and playoff wins to dispute the claims about how great the new hires old team has done with their advanced analytics guru's.

wouldn't you think that people who tout statistics would care most about the most important statistic in sports, you know wins and losses? funny how they don't especially when it doesn't support their case.

i didn't mean to insult you. i just asked you to use your brain. so, if you were previously...sorry. again nearly every team uses advanced stats in the nba, including the two teams in the finals.

instead of broad stroking literally everything your posting here, what specifically did you like about doug collins' coaching style? i'm sure you can easily answer this question...since, you know, you spend a lot of time watching the sixers and the nba and can so easily site a won/loss record.

ooooooooooh, wait...you've already said you don't watch the sixers or the nba and have hardly ever posted in here before the last few weeks. so, yeah...you have no point of reference, yet you continue to argue. :?
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    use your brain, dude.

i didn't mean to insult you. i just asked you to use your brain. so, if you were previously...sorry. again nearly every team uses advanced stats in the nba, including the two teams in the finals.

instead of broad stroking literally everything your posting here, what specifically did you like about doug collins' coaching style? i'm sure you can easily answer this question...since, you know, you spend a lot of time watching the sixers and the nba and can so easily site a won/loss record.

ooooooooooh, wait...you've already said you don't watch the sixers or the nba and have hardly ever posted in here before the last few weeks. so, yeah...you have no point of reference, yet you continue to argue. :?

i used facts and nba records to dispute the notion of this being a 'great' hire. the genius of the stats guys from Houston is not their advanced statistics it's in convincing people, despite the 8 win difference and 1 playoff series win in 6 years, that they are in fact geniuses.

12 years ago tonight was game 3 of the NBA Finals in Philly. those were good times...but hey we got cap space to look forward to ;) enjoy that.

i'm just disputing the notion the hinkie is a 'great' hire as a couple of people in here have asserted. he just might be, but as i asked before where is the evidence that this is true? where on his resume and his previous team does that assertion come from?
    you do not watch or pay attention to the nba so you looked up a won loss record without having any knowledge of where the franchise was at that particular time. and you have failed to acknowledge the "fact" that 23 teams utilize advanced stats including the 2 in the finals. you've also failed to acknowledge what you liked about doug collins' coaching. i guess we'll just chalk that up as another baseless point by you, since you've declined to elaborate twice now.

you keep saying "great" and "genius" as if someone actually said that. :? this again, speaks to the fact that you do not know what you are talking about, and don't know what you are actually arguing. i liked the hire, mainly because it shows the franchise is continuing to think outside the box. that's all. never said it was great. never once called him a genius. you also never said who you'd prefer in his place....probably because you don't watch the nba and have no idea who the other candidates were.

i'm sorry but the bottom line is you are speaking out of your ass. you do not watch this league. you've admitted as much. you talk about how shitty it is and then make snarky remarks about the cap space without acknowledging the complete and utter idiocy of your words. one of the main reasons the league sucks is precisely because of their overbearing cap restrictions. this isn't baseball. it put teams in mediocre limbo like the sixers were in since the larry brown days. tough to get out of contracts, tough to be bad enough to get a good draft pick, then if you get a good draft pick you have to deal with the nba draft being a total crap shoot. it's almost impossible to get over the hump because of their cap restrictions without being lucky. == the fact that this has to be pointed out to you is, again, more proof that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. again.===
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Hinkie doing work. Love the trade.
    pjhawks wrote:
    use your brain, dude.

dude, the next time you're right about sports on this board will be the first.
    The Fixer wrote:

haha...i figured you would like this. sucks to lose jrue. i really liked him and think he can be a good pg in this league for a long time.....

but once it appeared bynum wasn't going to play and everything fell apart, it was tank time for me too. and jrue is obviously the sixers' most valuable asset. they got a 7 ft center with a ton of potential. the knee thing has to be a concern, especially with this franchise. and his offensive game has a long way to go. but dude can defend, block shots, and rebound. athletic as hell. and a cool early nineties haircut.

i was not a big fan of williams at college. but who knows? he's huge for a pg and plays good defense. can't shoot though.

--big thing here is they will be terrible next year. they might not win 20 games....then they will have 2 high lottery picks next year (trade is 1-3 protected, i think) in the best draft class in 10 years. the draft is almost always a crap shoot (even at the top--just look at tonight)--but next year's looks like there will be some beasts. like i keep reading about this wiggins kid who will be at kansas next year that everyone wants.

sixers will also have $$ to spend. next year's free agent class, i believe, is supposed to be good too.

fresh start. different way of thinking. that's why i liked the hinkie hire. guy's certainly putting his stamp on the franchise right off the bat. good stuff.
    www.myspace.com
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Does anyone even still care about the Sixers?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Does anyone even still care about the Sixers?

through the good times and the bad. always.
    www.myspace.com
    brett brown is the new coach. don't know much about him except that he's a long time spurs assistant. not a bad place to pick a coach from.
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I like what was done. Sad to see Jrue go but to quote Bill Simmons, "they weren't going anywhere with Jrue". I started to lose track of all the players we drafted then traded in the second round. I guess we acquired some more picks.

Sixers and Celtics are in a tank race for Wiggins.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    brett brown is the new coach. don't know much about him except that he's a long time spurs assistant. not a bad place to pick a coach from.

Better than some retread. Someone with a winning mentality.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I like the moves. as I've said all along you can't win without a top 5 player. this at least gives the sixers a chance of getting one next year. going to be a very long few seasons though.

only bad thing is Evan Turner is still here.

I like Carter-Williams a lot. if they are patient enough with him I think he is going to be a very good NBA player.

the draft is hard to watch since so many of the drafted players get traded.
    pjhawks wrote:
    I like the moves. as I've said all along you can't win without a top 5 player. this at least gives the sixers a chance of getting one next year. going to be a very long few seasons though.

only bad thing is Evan Turner is still here.

I like Carter-Williams a lot. if they are patient enough with him I think he is going to be a very good NBA player.

the draft is hard to watch since so many of the drafted players get traded.

This will be Turner's last year on his rookie deal, right?

Turner tweeted an hour after Jrue was traded and he said, "wait, did Jrue get traded". Everyone was like, it should've been you. They were some strong rumors that he almost was traded near the end of the 1st round. Now I'm going to the Sixers site to see who we actually wound up keeping from the 2nd round. :lol:

So let me get this straight, none of the trades from last night can be announced until July something?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I like what was done. Sad to see Jrue go but to quote Bill Simmons, "they weren't going anywhere with Jrue". I started to lose track of all the players we drafted then traded in the second round. I guess we acquired some more picks.

Sixers and Celtics are in a tank race for Wiggins.

the hinkie era is off to a good start. i wish we can just fast forward one year. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    So we only wound up with MCW and Kazemi last night? What happened to the kid from Baylor? I know we traded Rice and Wolters but don't recall hearing about the Baylor kid.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    So we only wound up with MCW and Kazemi last night? What happened to the kid from Baylor? I know we traded Rice and Wolters but don't recall hearing about the Baylor kid.

all in all they ended up with noel, big lips, kazemi, the pelicans '14 first round pick and the bucks' '14 2nd round pick....i think they also have dallas' 2nd next year.
    www.myspace.com
    edited July 2013
    The Fixer wrote:

haha...i figured you would like this. sucks to lose jrue. i really liked him and think he can be a good pg in this league for a long time.....

but once it appeared bynum wasn't going to play and everything fell apart, it was tank time for me too. and jrue is obviously the sixers' most valuable asset. they got a 7 ft center with a ton of potential. the knee thing has to be a concern, especially with this franchise. and his offensive game has a long way to go. but dude can defend, block shots, and rebound. athletic as hell. and a cool early nineties haircut.

i was not a big fan of williams at college. but who knows? he's huge for a pg and plays good defense. can't shoot though.

--big thing here is they will be terrible next year. they might not win 20 games....then they will have 2 high lottery picks next year (trade is 1-3 protected, i think) in the best draft class in 10 years. the draft is almost always a crap shoot (even at the top--just look at tonight)--but next year's looks like there will be some beasts. like i keep reading about this wiggins kid who will be at kansas next year that everyone wants.

sixers will also have $$ to spend. next year's free agent class, i believe, is supposed to be good too.

fresh start. different way of thinking. that's why i liked the hinkie hire. guy's certainly putting his stamp on the franchise right off the bat. good stuff.

My biggest issue with this franchise (and I have voiced it thousands of times over years) is that they never had a plan. This is one of the reasons why I loved the Hinkie hire...if nothing else, this dude is going to meticulously implement his plan. Fact that he uses advanced metrics and is a die hard player evaluator are added bonuses for me.

This team has been going nowhere since 1983. It's about time that they have some direction. I love what they did last week and I'm really excited about Hinkie leading their future.

It feels like we just got an expansion team in philly. Everything is nascent. Love it.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    edited July 2013
    JK_Livin wrote:

all in all they ended up with noel, big lips, kazemi, the pelicans '14 first round pick and the bucks' '14 2nd round pick....i think they also have dallas' 2nd next year.

Yeah, next year they have 2 firsts (pick from NO is top 5 protected) and 2 seconds. Not to mention a shitload of cap space. I believe that after next season, the only player signed is thad young (who they should look to move). That is awesome considering all of the crap on this roster during the brown/king/collins/stefanski eras. The franchise got a much needed enema.

Best part about MCW was his interview. Nice to see an athlete coming out of college who can put a sentence together, which is rare these days.

Spurs Assistant who coached the Aussie National team sounds like a solid move as well. I'm sure he has some type of analytic background. the cavemen fans who sounded so dumb ripping the Hinkie hire will prob hate that move too.

Hinkie for President (Harris can be his ticket mate)
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    JK_Livin wrote:

Big lips...they got delmon young?
    The Fixer wrote:

My biggest issue with this franchise (and I have voiced it thousands of times over years) is that they never had a plan. This is one of the reasons why I loved the Hinkie hire...if nothing else, this dude is going to meticulously implement his plan. Fact that he uses advanced metrics and is a die hard player evaluator are added bonuses for me.

This team has been going nowhere since 1983. It's about time that they have some direction. I love what they did last week and I'm really excited about Hinkie leading their future.

It feels like we just got an expansion team in philly. Everything is nascent. Love it.

they had a plan last year. it was to trade for one of the best centers in the game. we saw the kind of mismatch a dominant center presented to the heat in that pacers series. blame the docs who signed off on it. either way...that whole thing completely blowing up in everyone's face lead us to hinkie ball and us finally agree about something with this team.

their timing could not be any better with this draft coming up. best one in a decade and we got 4 picks, 2 lottery ones (hopefully).

i can't wait to see this wiggins kid at kansas next year. college basketball is always awesome but will be even more entertaining this year.

HINKIE BALL!
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/patt ... star-.html
    www.myspace.com
    So is Brett Brown our coach or what?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    The Fixer wrote:

they had a plan last year. it was to trade for one of the best centers in the game. we saw the kind of mismatch a dominant center presented to the heat in that pacers series. blame the docs who signed off on it. either way...that whole thing completely blowing up in everyone's face lead us to hinkie ball and us finally agree about something with this team.

their timing could not be any better with this draft coming up. best one in a decade and we got 4 picks, 2 lottery ones (hopefully).

i can't wait to see this wiggins kid at kansas next year. college basketball is always awesome but will be even more entertaining this year.

HINKIE BALL!

the plan was dumb. bynum has always been injury prone. and the rest of the guys they signed were all terrible. doug collins was awful. it was a disaster waiting to happen
    JK_Livin wrote:
    So is Brett Brown our coach or what?

I really don't think it matters. I read something that said curry is coaching the summer leagues. They werent expecting to make any formal coaching announcements until those leagues wrapped up.

If they really want the first pick just bring collins back...and tell him to bring his boys kwame brown, tony battie, and royal ivey :lol:
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

HINKIE BALL!

the plan was dumb. bynum has always been injury prone. and the rest of the guys they signed were all terrible. doug collins was awful. it was a disaster waiting to happen

yeah. so you can disagree with the plan but there was one there. and i think the risk was worth the reward. easy to critique it in hindsight.

but i've said since they took over that i've appreciated this ownership's group's willingness to take chance to turn this franchise's fortune around. such a breath of fresh air in contrast to the former owner.

onward an upward.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah. so you can disagree with the plan but there was one there. and i think the risk was worth the reward. easy to critique it in hindsight.

I never liked the bynum trade or their plan from the beginning. Hated the re-signing of hawes, who I have voiced my hatred of numerous times. He'd be a solid player if he didn't have to sit down to pee.

so yeah, not everyone loved the 'plan' as much as you did. I tried telling you that this team was going nowhere fast. you wouldn't listen

I give harris credit...he got rid of the turd collins. got rid of dileo. phased out the cartoon character adam aron. then, like I said when he was hinkie was hired, made the best move this franchise has had since acquiring moses.

Now, finally, it's time to be excited about this franchise again.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I never liked the bynum trade or their plan from the beginning. Hated the re-signing of hawes, who I have voiced my hatred of numerous times. He'd be a solid player if he didn't have to sit down to pee.

so yeah, not everyone loved the 'plan' as much as you did. I tried telling you that this team was going nowhere fast. you wouldn't listen

I give harris credit...he got rid of the turd collins. got rid of dileo. phased out the cartoon character adam aron. then, like I said when he was hinkie was hired, made the best move this franchise has had since acquiring moses.

Now, finally, it's time to be excited about this franchise again.

yeah we can agree to disagree on that trade. we've done that plenty of times. and until someone can say with 100% certainty that they completely ignored the doctor's recommendations, then i'm fine with it. it was worth the risk. easy to disagree with it, obviously, given how it turned out. so i understand that argument.

harris is trying to win. took a shot last year and it took a shit in his mouth. now he's sacrifising an entire year to capitalize on a good '14 draft. these are things that never happened under the former regime. definitely something to be excited about--agreed.
    www.myspace.com
    I did not know about the picks we owe Miami.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/7/2/448704 ... g-nba-2013
    Tom O.
    -The Writer