Options

*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,202

Well, that's big

that's what she said ( :tongue: sorry couldn't resist)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,278

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

Spurs started a dynasty by tanking.

yup. they just had much better luck than the sixers have had thus far.
    yup it's bad luck to have the worst start and longest losing streak in NBA history. :rock_on:
    Ah, that's the intentional part. Luck comes into play when those ping pong balls get selected.
    I guess the process has been changed. Hopefully Colangelo can make something out of the absolute mess Harris and Hinkie has put out there the last two years. As tonight shows this franchise is light years away from any sort of contention.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,446
    Good hire with but I don't see how anything has changed in the short term. I couldn't care less if they don't win another game this season. They would've been super active in free agency and trades next summer regardless. Brining in a guy like him, even if it's just an advisory type role from afar, can only help...

Kudos to Harris for this move.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,632
    how did that fucker get to be where he is, anyway?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

how did that fucker get to be where he is, anyway?

He took uber.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    The Sixers should discount tickets to the fans attending and watching the atrocity out on the court.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

Good hire with but I don't see how anything has changed in the short term. I couldn't care less if they don't win another game this season. They would've been super active in free agency and trades next summer regardless. Brining in a guy like him, even if it's just an advisory type role from afar, can only help...

nothing changed really? they just hired a new boss for the genius that some people called Hinkie. Not a good sign for Hinkie or his future here.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    pjhawks said:

nothing changed really? they just hired a new boss for the genius that some people called Hinkie. Not a good sign for Hinkie or his future here.
    New boss? Dude, he's working from home in Phoenix. Think this has more to do with image and appeasing the NBA and people like you than it does changing their course of action. Next year was already going to be the year they start to compete anyway. So I don't see how that will change. An experienced guy like Collangelo can only help when they start to put the pieces together. Smart move by Harris.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,632
    stephen a. REALLY ripped your team this morning.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    only the Juggler believes Hinkie won't be affected by this move.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    imalive said:

i feel better when dopes LIKE this guy and pjhawks rip my teams.

man, you love yourself some espn.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,826
    edited December 2015

imalive said:

i feel better when dopes like this guy and pjhawks rip my teams.

The ever more humorous part is where they don't read the story from above. The best part Tom Ley points out is if you don't believe in the Sixers approach then why didn't you (the other teams) in instilling lottery reform?

I love this article as much as I love the Sixers, and Hinkie, making a joke of how the draft is set up.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

only the Juggler believes Hinkie won't be affected by this move.
    hardly. you're probably not familiar with deadspin because they are one those crafty new age blogs you deride all the time but they have been as anti hinkie as you over the years. no surprise what so ever to see this take from them.

the way i see it after the colangelo hire, the nba is happier, the old guard media and casual fans like you are happier, the sixers perception goes up, and the sixers 2016 off season will play out about as it would've played out anyway, only with it going much smoother with jerry's sweet 76 year old touch.

regarding the articles deadspin linked to and others--journalists knew nothing about this until yesterday. most of the established media resents what hinkie's been doing and they get most of the info from agents, who also have an axe to grind with hinkie....so of course the narrative is what is is right now.

absolute worst thing that can come of this is they really do change course right away and make some moves for them to get better this season and miss out on simmons....and then go overspend on free agents and end up in the same situation they were in in the late/post iverson years. time will tell.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

imalive said:

i guess everyone in America including the Commissioner of the NBA is a dope then since every sane and rational human being sees this team and franchise as a utter disgrace at the moment.
    i respect your stubbornness though Juggler.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    pjhawks said:

imalive said:

i guess everyone in America including the Commissioner of the NBA is a dope then since every sane and rational human being sees this team and franchise as a utter disgrace at the moment.
    ah, yes. because the popular opinion is ALWAYS the correct one....

tell me what you think will happen differently after yesterday's press conference.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    edited December 2015
    I don't think it is a good look for the Sixers that the rest of the owners felt the league needed to step in to do something about this. It is a joke. A joke that the league has allowed, but it is a joke. If someone like the Marlins were doing this, you would be singing a very different tune. It makes it all the more sad that it is a pretty historic franchise.

You are crazy if you think this isn't an indictment on Hinkie. Tanking so far has netted the Sixers almost nothing. Every player they have is a work in progress and is no sure thing. I can't really see a way that he sees this thing all the way through, but I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. I think you are crazy if you think this is all PR and Colangelo is not going to be involved and make decisions.

With the risk of sounding like an incredibly old and grumpy man, I do think this sets an awful precedent for kids. They have literally taken the spirit of competition out of the sport, and I don't think that's a good thing to do. Obviously this is a business and that's not the Sixers' responsibility, but I guess I just find it sad.

I don't think the Sixers are any closer to being good and/or a contender than they were two years ago.

That said, I do agree that some form of tanking was necessary to turn the franchise around, it has just been taken to an insane level.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

imalive said:

tell me what you think will happen differently after yesterday's press conference.
    well 1st veteran players will be brought in. Colangelo already stated that is lacking and will change.

secondly Hinkie will be stripped of his power and fired or leave by the end of next season at the very latest. You don't bring someone of Colangelo's stature to oversee a failing department/manager and not have changes made.
  • Options

I don't think it is a good look for the Sixers that the rest of the owners felt the league needed to step in to do something about this. It is a joke. A joke that the league has allowed, but it is a joke. If someone like the Marlins were doing this, you would be singing a very different tune. It makes it all the more sad that it is a pretty historic franchise.

You are crazy if you think this isn't an indictment on Hinkie. Tanking so far has netted the Sixers almost nothing. Every player they have is a work in progress and is no sure thing. I can't really see a way that he sees this thing all the way through, but I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. I think you are crazy if you think this is all PR and Colangelo is not going to be involved and make decisions.

With the risk of sounding like an incredibly old and grumpy man, I do think this sets an awful precedent for kids. They have literally taken the spirit of competition out of the sport, and I don't think that's a good thing to do. Obviously this is a business and that's not the Sixers' responsibility, but I guess I just find it sad.

I don't think the Sixers are any closer to being good and/or a contender than they were two years ago.

That said, I do agree that some form of tanking was necessary to turn the franchise around, it has just been taken to an insane level.

you can't just skip over the fact that it is a joke that the league allowed to take place. this is the system that is in place and the sixers are trying to exploit as much as they can. i have no problem with that what so ever.

never said colangelo will not be involved with decisions but he is 76 years old and lives in phoenix. in now way, shape or form, is he going to be hinkie's "boss." i think pr played a huge factor in him coming here, especially if its true that silver played a role.

and as far as the sixers being a disgrace yada, yada yada....big deal. they were expected to be terrible this year once embiid was set to have his second surgery and they didn't get one of the top 2 picks last year. but they have an abundance of first round/lottery picks this summer, saric and hopefully embiid coming back, more cap space than the rest of the league, and unlmited assets to pull off trades----so if the sixers find themselves still stuck in this same rut this time next year, your post is valid and hinkie will be on the hot seat. but right now? right at the tail end of the tank? no.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

You said it perfectly here Cliffy. All points made are 100% spot on and my exact feelings but you summed it up just right. kudos.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

imalive said:

well 1st veteran players will be brought in. Colangelo already stated that is lacking and will change.

secondly Hinkie will be stripped of his power and fired or leave by the end of next season at the very latest. You don't bring someone of Colangelo's stature to oversee a failing department/manager and not have changes made.
    that's all you got? veterans and hinkie will be fired?

do you expect them to try to trade for veteran players who can help them win games this season or are you thinking that will happen in the offseason? just curious...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015

you can't just skip over the fact that it is a joke that the league allowed to take place. this is the system that is in place and the sixers are trying to exploit as much as they can. i have no problem with that what so ever.

never said colangelo will not be involved with decisions but he is 76 years old and lives in phoenix. in now way, shape or form, is he going to be hinkie's "boss." i think pr played a huge factor in him coming here, especially if its true that silver played a role.

and as far as the sixers being a disgrace yada, yada yada....big deal. they were expected to be terrible this year once embiid was set to have his second surgery and they didn't get one of the top 2 picks last year. but they have an abundance of first round/lottery picks this summer, saric and hopefully embiid coming back, more cap space than the rest of the league, and unlmited assets to pull off trades----so if the sixers find themselves still stuck in this same rut this time next year, your post is valid and hinkie will be on the hot seat. but right now? right at the tail end of the tank? no.

I didn't skip over that fact and stated at the end that I think they needed some form of tanking.

There was obviously some amount of PR involved but I guess I just don't see how someone with Colangelo's resume would come into a situation where he is part of a disgraced franchise, not only from a fan perspective but also a player, ownership and league perspective, if he didn't have a massive amount of power.

It's not yada, yada, yada. I mean, you talk shit about teams like the Marlins, Mets, Knicks, etc. but this is a whole new level of awfulness. A Spurs team without Leonard or Duncan won by 51 points last night. The Sixers also have nothing to show for it. I mean, you are banking on Saric and Embiid? Like I said, I get the tanking thing and I agree that it was the only option, but the biggest indictment on this entire thing is that they are no closer than they were before this started. A lot of draft picks this year and a ton of question marks. That's all they got. it's not like they are bad but have someone like Anthony Davis.

Edit; And as you can see, I clearly don't know what the answer is, but I don't think this has worked out well by any stretch of the imagination.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    This move obviously can't hurt. The ping pong balls haven't bounced our way the past 2 years. Sadly, that's the plan. I'd still rather have a ping pong ball than Evan Turner.

I didn't know Leonard and Duncan sat last night. That makes it worse. I loved Pop's comments after the game.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Also, who does the league want the Lakers to hire for their mess or is that ok?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Also, who does the league want the Lakers to hire for their mess or is that ok?

Hopefully a new coach
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

This move obviously can't hurt. The ping pong balls haven't bounced our way the past 2 years. Sadly, that's the plan. I'd still rather have a ping pong ball than Evan Turner.

I didn't know Leonard and Duncan sat last night. That makes it worse. I loved Pop's comments after the game.

That's what is tough. "The process" is be terrible and hope for luck. It's like being a mush and sitting at a black jack table all night to get your losses back. At some point the plan needs to change. What happens if they don't get Simmons? Another year of this? Two? At some point there needs to be more of a plan than hoping ping pong balls fall the right way, right?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I didn't skip over that fact and stated at the end that I think they needed some form of tanking.

There was obviously some amount of PR involved but I guess I just don't see how someone with Colangelo's resume would come into a situation where he is part of a disgraced franchise, not only from a fan perspective but also a player, ownership and league perspective, if he didn't have a massive amount of power.

It's not yada, yada, yada. I mean, you talk shit about teams like the Marlins, Mets, Knicks, etc. but this is a whole new level of awfulness. A Spurs team without Leonard or Duncan won by 51 points last night. The Sixers also have nothing to show for it. I mean, you are banking on Saric and Embiid? Like I said, I get the tanking thing and I agree that it was the only option, but the biggest indictment on this entire thing is that they are no closer than they were before this started. A lot of draft picks this year and a ton of question marks. That's all they got. it's not like they are bad but have someone like Anthony Davis.

Edit; And as you can see, I clearly don't know what the answer is, but I don't think this has worked out well by any stretch of the imagination.
    He's title is Chairman and he is staying in Phoenix. Of course he's going to have a lot of say in things but he is by no means the boss. Money talks dude. I could easily see someone of his stature accepting this cushy position, at his old age, for the right amount of money, especially if he doesn't have to leave Arizona, plus he can see this team is at the end of their tankathon. So when they finally start to make moves to be competitive next summer, whose going to get the credit? Jerry Colangelo!! It's a win win for him.

And yeah it is yada yada, dude. One of the reasons I've talked shit on the Knicks is because they've been so horrific over the years despite them actually trying to be good. It's comical....now I'm giving them credit because I think they may have hit a home run with Porzingas. Sixers probably should've taken him.

Not banking on just Saric and Embiid. Banking on those two, plus potentially 2 top 5 picks, 2 or 3 other first round picks, more cap space than anyone in the league, and tons of assets to improve the team via trade.

The fact that they lost by 50 last night means nothing to me because this season means nothing to me. If they are losing by 50 next year, then they've got big problems. Right now, it's all about next summer (just like it was before yesterday's press conference and let night's game).
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015

He's title is Chairman and he is staying in Phoenix. Of course he's going to have a lot of say in things but he is by no means the boss. Money talks dude. I could easily see someone of his stature accepting this cushy position, at his old age, for the right amount of money, especially if he doesn't have to leave Arizona, plus he can see this team is at the end of their tankathon. So when they finally start to make moves to be competitive next summer, whose going to get the credit? Jerry Colangelo!! It's a win win for him.

And yeah it is yada yada, dude. One of the reasons I've talked shit on the Knicks is because they've been so horrific over the years despite them actually trying to be good. It's comical....now I'm giving them credit because I think they may have hit a home run with Porzingas. Sixers probably should've taken him.

Not banking on just Saric and Embiid. Banking on those two, plus potentially 2 top 5 picks, 2 or 3 other first round picks, more cap space than anyone in the league, and tons of assets to improve the team via trade.

The fact that they lost by 50 last night means nothing to me because this season means nothing to me. If they are losing by 50 next year, then they've got big problems. Right now, it's all about next summer (just like it was before yesterday's press conference and let night's game).
    I think you are underestimating the ego of a former owner (and in general extremely powerful person in sports) with hundreds of millions of dollars. I don't think he gets involved with the Sixers for his legacy at the end of a "tankathon".

I get what you are saying, but at this point it's just so antithesis to sports in general and at some point the plan has to deviate. There is a difference between being young and bad and working for draft picks and legitimately losing games on purpose by crafting a roster that has maybe 2.5 NBA players.

Like I said to JK, what happens if the Lakers get the first pick and the Sixers don't get their pick or Simmons? Another year of this? 2? 3?

Who would be willing to come to the Sixers on a free agent deal? Are Noel and Okafor even going to progress on this team as constructed?

Are the Sixers any closer to winning or being a good team than they were 2 years ago?

Edit: It's also so bizarre to me that people would defend Hinkie rather than celebrate an extremely successful basketball person coming in like Colangelo. What does Hinkie bring to the table at this point? He did his, job, no? Why would you want him here?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I'm not underestimating anything. I said he will be involved with all decisions but he's not the "boss" of Hinkie like Hawks said. He's working from home on the other side of the country. I think you are underestimating that fact. That said, I love the hire. He's got tons of contacts, most assuredly has better relationships with agents than Hinkie, and will probably be more in the forefront so Hinkie can remain lurking in the shadows like he wants. It's a smart move by Harris.

How do you expect the plan to "deviate" today? With all that I mentioned they have coming next summer, the plan will have no choice but to "deviate" at that time. That has always been the plan. If they don't get Simmons, well you still have Saric, possibly Embiid, 3 other first round picks, tons of cap space and plenty of ability to pull of trades to become a better team in '16/'17. Keep in mind, not only do they get the Lakers pick (top 3 protected of course) but can swap with the Kings if they want due to the Stauskas trade. They've given themselves a hell of a shot at getting what they want, finally. And that would be a significant infusion of talent in one offseason.

Making some short sighted short term goal to win games this year, like I think Hawks was insinuating, would hurt those chances.

Ask me in August if they are any closer to winning. Right now it's a pointless question when they are as incomplete as they are.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wait until Marshall is healthy and this whole thing turns around.

::hides::
    Tom O.
    -The Writer