Options

LOST- 6th and Final Season (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    thanks whoprincess... might have to check out that book... sounds interesting
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    I guy at my work was thinking the sideways world was Jack's own imagination and the characters were just playing out how he wanted them to play out.

having just watched the last episode i'm kind of thinking the same thing.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    I haven't read any Stephen King but friends have told me that his plots always come down to good vs. evil. Is he unoriginal?
    good example... similarly terrible plot... the key difference with king is that he is excellent at developing characters... thats why my favorite work of his isnt the sci-fi/horror stuff

if its true that there are only 6 ways a story can go, good writers have certainly taken those 6 paths in a whole lot of directions

Again Kilgore you are right on. I'm a big King fan and the good vs. evil is present in his work. Another similiar thing he does is blow up things at the end of novels.

Kilgore is right about King's development of characters. Note to Lost creators: if you are going to sell us that the show is about the characters and not the mystery you have been shoving down our throats for six years, you might want to make the characters interesting. King work in his Dark Tower series took a nosedive much like Lost did. I won't ruin it for those who haven't read it. The Dark Tower still had many more redeeming points that Lost just did not have.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Thanks, whoprincess, for that list. And thanks for the ticket drop info via pm a few weeks ago. I got a ticket!

What did you do grauate work in?
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    rrivers wrote:
    Thanks, whoprincess, for that list. And thanks for the ticket drop info via pm a few weeks ago. I got a ticket!

What did you do grauate work in?
    Congrats! I wondered how it worked out. Always glad to hear when good things happen for people. :D

To answer your question, I have a Master's in English. :shh:
    But that was long ago in a galaxy far away. ;)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    pdalowsky wrote:
    I'm interested to know how Kate, Sawyer, Claire, Alpert and so on lived the rest of their lives off the island now. Is Sawyer back to conning and so forth.. and also the adventures of Hurley and Ben protecting the island and helping Desmond get home..

we can only hope the extra 20 mins on the boxset deal with this stuff but I doubt it
    Is there really going to be an extra 20 minutes? Where did you find this info out?

I already have seasons 1 through 5.. hopefully its not just on the boxset, but also just season 6.
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    pdalowsky wrote:
    I'm interested to know how Kate, Sawyer, Claire, Alpert and so on lived the rest of their lives off the island now. Is Sawyer back to conning and so forth.. and also the adventures of Hurley and Ben protecting the island and helping Desmond get home..

we can only hope the extra 20 mins on the boxset deal with this stuff but I doubt it
    Is there really going to be an extra 20 minutes? Where did you find this info out?

I already have seasons 1 through 5.. hopefully its not just on the boxset, but also just season 6.

TV Guide is reporting that there will be as much as 20 minutes of additional footage on the upcoming Season 6 DVD release, due Aug. 24 on DVD and Blu-ray.

"It's in production now," a source told the site. "Damon [Lindelof] and Carlton [Cuse] wanted to offer fans answers to additional questions they couldn't get to in the body of the final show."

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/109/1092287p1.html
  • Options

TV Guide is reporting that there will be as much as 20 minutes of additional footage on the upcoming Season 6 DVD release, due Aug. 24 on DVD and Blu-ray.

"It's in production now," a source told the site. "Damon [Lindelof] and Carlton [Cuse] wanted to offer fans answers to additional questions they couldn't get to in the body of the final show."

Awesome!.. Definitely picking this up on Blu-ray. The other seasons are the best looking Blu-rays I've seen.
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

Awesome!.. Definitely picking this up on Blu-ray. The other seasons are the best looking Blu-rays I've seen.

It is going to be hard to resist, but I think I am going to pass on the August release. Why? Because the first release is always good, but they always have something better to release later. With Christmas a few months later I could see them doing an even better set. I guess we'll have to see though.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/109/1092287p1.html[/quote]

"wanted to offer fans answers to additional questions they couldn't get to in the body of the final show and sell DVDs."
  • Options

Richard Alpert is dead before the plane reaches LAX. All those years of immortality caught up with him real fast.
    PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,402
    For those who theorize that the end shot of the wreckage negated what Christian said and that they all died in the plane crash, ABC put that in there, not the producers:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra ... mages.html
    'Lost' exclusive: ABC sets the record straight about the series finale's plane crash images
    May 25, 2010 | 3:09 pm

You know those Oceanic 815 plane crash images that ran after Jack's (Matthew Fox) eye closed and the "Lost" logo appeared on our TV screens? Some "Lost" fans and TV critics have wondered if they were a last Easter egg from the producers, a clue meant to lead us to conclude that no one survived Oceanic 815's crash landing — and therefore everything we've seen over the last six years never really happened.

Well, ABC wants to clear the air: Those photographs were not part of the "Lost" story at all. The network added them to soften the transition from the moving ending of the series to the 11 p.m. news and never considered that it would confuse viewers about the actual ending of the show.

"The images shown during the end credits of the 'Lost' finale, which included shots of Oceanic 815 on a deserted beach, were not part of the final story but were a visual aid to allow the viewer to decompress before heading into the news," an ABC spokesperson wrote in an e-mail Tuesday.

That means, Losties, that we were not supposed to think that Christian Shepherd (John Terry) is a liar. What Christian told his son, when they were reunited at the church, should serve as guidance for our interpretation of the series' ending.

So let's review: Christian told Jack that he was dead and everyone else in the church was too — some had died before Jack, as we already knew, and some died long after. The sideways flashes then were a step in everyone's after-lives, a way to reconnect before moving on permanently. While there still may be unanswered questions related to that religious and spiritual conclusion to the "Lost" story, the photographs were really just a nostalgic, transitional touch added by ABC executives — and not executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

Love or hate it, that's the final answer.

— Maria Elena Fernandez
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    That never crossed my mind.
    Poncier wrote:
    For those who theorize that the end shot of the wreckage negated what Christian said and that they all died in the plane crash, ABC put that in there, not the producers:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra ... mages.html
    'Lost' exclusive: ABC sets the record straight about the series finale's plane crash images
    May 25, 2010 | 3:09 pm

You know those Oceanic 815 plane crash images that ran after Jack's (Matthew Fox) eye closed and the "Lost" logo appeared on our TV screens? Some "Lost" fans and TV critics have wondered if they were a last Easter egg from the producers, a clue meant to lead us to conclude that no one survived Oceanic 815's crash landing — and therefore everything we've seen over the last six years never really happened.

Well, ABC wants to clear the air: Those photographs were not part of the "Lost" story at all. The network added them to soften the transition from the moving ending of the series to the 11 p.m. news and never considered that it would confuse viewers about the actual ending of the show.

"The images shown during the end credits of the 'Lost' finale, which included shots of Oceanic 815 on a deserted beach, were not part of the final story but were a visual aid to allow the viewer to decompress before heading into the news," an ABC spokesperson wrote in an e-mail Tuesday.

That means, Losties, that we were not supposed to think that Christian Shepherd (John Terry) is a liar. What Christian told his son, when they were reunited at the church, should serve as guidance for our interpretation of the series' ending.

So let's review: Christian told Jack that he was dead and everyone else in the church was too — some had died before Jack, as we already knew, and some died long after. The sideways flashes then were a step in everyone's after-lives, a way to reconnect before moving on permanently. While there still may be unanswered questions related to that religious and spiritual conclusion to the "Lost" story, the photographs were really just a nostalgic, transitional touch added by ABC executives — and not executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

Love or hate it, that's the final answer.

— Maria Elena Fernandez
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    Lost final episode sucked...the end.
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    NJPJ wrote:
    tatararam.soutien!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    NJPJ wrote:

I enjoyed it and no matter what you say will not change that.
    The end.
  • Options
    were you a fan all the way through? what didn't you like about it?
    NJPJ wrote:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    NJPJ wrote:

Finally someone making sense on this thread!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    After a few days thought... Im not a fan of the ending, but it could be a lot worse... most of the time a finale doesnt come close to expectations and could even ruin a series (see Sopranos, The). I think the writers needed some sort of major event and/or major twist at the end. The whole "purgatory" thing was just fabricated from material introduced in the this season.

Also, if you look at the final conflict it is pretty unsatisfying. Like WTF was the point of Ben turning in the 2nd last episode? The final fight wasnt good at all, there were much better fights throughout the series. The final resolution to the whole thing was unplug a mysterious plug so light stops shining in a cave, throw the evil guy onto rocks, then plug the thing back in?

I saw much better conclusions written by fans on the internet over the course of the past few years. Pretty bad writing here iMO. The series (potentially one of the greatest serieses ever IMO) went out with a whimper. Also take into account that fans have been looking forward to a huge "mind f*ck" at the end for 6 years.
  • Options
    DivkaDivka Posts: 200
    NJPJ wrote:

I thought it was absolutely beautiful. The lives the characters lived on the island and because of the island were filled with hardship and tragedy, and the island story did not end happily. But those same people found a way to give their story a happy ending, and they did it together.

I thought the final episode was poetic - a really lovely way to wrap up a story unlike any other before it.
    When the stars exploded billions of years ago, they formed everything that is this world. Everything we know is stardust...
  • Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    I was a bit disappointed. I too found negatives and positives. I‘m one of the mystery fans, and they didn’t explain much of that at all. For me, the mystery made the show, it’s what kept me watching.
    Really I liked the final up until they explained the sideways world people were dead. I thought that was pretty lame and not clever at all.

My only complaint is they left out the only thing I wanted and though needed to be explained, which was ‘The Others’. Im happy for them not to answer everything, but for me the best part of the show and the mystery were ‘the Others’. We didn’t learn shit about Widmore and Elouise, why they couldn’t have babies on the Island, why they stole the kids, why they dressed up all dirty and tattered. What about the black ash around the temple and ‘Jacob’s’ cabin? That for me was the biggest mistake, why have all these events in the story at all?
    I can live without knowing the exact history of the Island and what happened after Hurley was the protector and Kate and everyone went home, but I thought ‘The Others’ questions definitely should have been answered, especially because The Others were just as big a part of the show as the Losties.
    I agree with whoever said, I can deal with being told 90% and leaving 10% to our own beliefs, but I feel here, they only gave us 50% of the story they worked so hard to make.
    I too agree they unnecessarily spent way too much time on the sideways timeline.

So who here still think they were dead the whole time on the Island? I’m sure I read somewhere the writers or directors said that wasn’t the case?
    My understanding was everything that happened on the Island was real, and everybody died at some stage, not necessarily on the Island, and then when they were all dead they all met up in ‘purgatory’.
    I was quite surprised when I read and heard people saying they thought the whole time since the plane crash everyone was dead.
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options
    I thought it was funny how Ben was trapped under the tree and it looked liked he was screwed. Then suddenly he was on the cliff with Kate, Sawyer and Hurley after the Jack/Locke fight.

And what was the deal with Jack bleeding in the neck (in the flash sideways) when Locke cut him with the knife?
    PJ:

• Options
    More answers to come my friends!! I just read this on E! online (link to the article at the bottom)

Lost Epilogue With Hurley and Ben Revealed!

One more reason to love Michael Emerson: He just spilled the goods on an amazing surprise for any Lost fan planning to buy the final, sixth-season DVD. (And trust me, now all of you will be buying it.)

There will be more Lost. There is more to the story, and we will get to see it! Praise Jacob! Or should we say...Hurley?!

"For those people that want to pony up and buy the complete Lost series, there is a bonus feature," Michael just told our Kevin Pereira of Attack of the Show!, which airs tonight at 7 on E!'s brother network G4. "Which is um, you could call it an epilogue. A lost scene. It's a lot; it's 12 or 14 minutes that opens a window onto that gap of unknown time between Hurley (Jorge Garcia) becoming number one and the end of the series."

Michael says this extra footage is not the premise for a spinoff. "It's self-contained. Although, it's a rich period in the show's mythology that ‘s never been explored, so who knows what will come of it."

That said, as I reported earlier, we'll find out what happens to Walt on the DVD as well. And so for the last time ever (sniff!), I think I get to say, Lost spoiler alert! Whatcha wanna bet that during Hurley and Ben's adventures on the island, they run into Walt a few years into the future, when he's oh, 18 and looking just as Malcolm David Kelley looks now?

Oh, genius show, I love you. Why must you make it so hard to let go? Just as we're trying to say good-bye, you dangle this most excellent carrot!

See all you fellow fans in the overnight campout line for the Lost season-six DVD.

In the meantime, don't miss my Idiot's Guide to Lost that just posted if you still have questions. It might clear things up!

________

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_w ... z0p5NBapd8
  • Options
    jervin007 wrote:
    I thought it was funny how Ben was trapped under the tree and it looked liked he was screwed. Then suddenly he was on the cliff with Kate, Sawyer and Hurley after the Jack/Locke fight.

And what was the deal with Jack bleeding in the neck (in the flash sideways) when Locke cut him with the knife?

Yeah I guess that was one of the bits they had to edit out to make it fit in the time slot.

I’m still curious to know if people think they were all dead the whole time on the island? And what made you think that?
    A few people at my work did (mainly people who barely ever watched the show) and I thought it was really interesting, because it never crossed my mind. I thought Christian explained it pretty well that it was only the sideways timeline where they were dead. And they all realized in the sideways timeline at the end that they had all been on the island before, and were now dead, and meeting up as a sort of ‘closure’. But maybe I was wrong, I’d love to hear other peoples ideas?
  • Options
    Red_Dot wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

Yeah I guess that was one of the bits they had to edit out to make it fit in the time slot.

I’m still curious to know if people think they were all dead the whole time on the island? And what made you think that?
    A few people at my work did (mainly people who barely ever watched the show) and I thought it was really interesting, because it never crossed my mind. I thought Christian explained it pretty well that it was only the sideways timeline where they were dead. And they all realized in the sideways timeline at the end that they had all been on the island before, and were now dead, and meeting up as a sort of ‘closure’. But maybe I was wrong, I’d love to hear other peoples ideas?

they were not all dead on the island. everything that happened on the island (and even off the island before the Oceanic 6 went back) was real. Christian said so.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    More answers to come my friends!! I just read this on E! online (link to the article at the bottom)

Lost Epilogue With Hurley and Ben Revealed!

a.) Yeah because there was nothing in the finale that could have been cut out to include this. The concert was very vital.

b.) This epilogue won't answer anything, but if it does, I hope it's riveting answers like there's a light cave with a plug!
  • Options
    Red_Dot wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

they were not all dead on the island. everything that happened on the island (and even off the island before the Oceanic 6 went back) was real. Christian said so.

Yeah that’s what I thought, but then people started saying they were dead the whole time on the Island. I definitely did not get that impression and was wondering if there was anyone who still thought that.
    I think I definitely need to see the part where Christian speaks again, the whole time I was kind of like “What……oh my God…really”? and didn’t take it all in.
  • Options
    So, I'm re-watching season 1, and can't for the life of me remember what happened to the other surviving passengers.. weren't there like 50 something of them???

When the island stopped jumping them through time, was it long after they died? And if so, you gotta wonder what year Sawyer, Kate and Claire flew back to in the end.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,371
    I kinda enjoyed the ending and I'm quite happy for them to leave some things unexplained, the endless debating of what something may or may not mean is part of the fun after all (like when people have their own take on song lyrics). I would have been more disappointed if they had come up with really lame explanations for the various mysteries. However, I think the moving the island and time travel storylines were too far fetched and we could have done wiithout them add they didn't add anything significant to the plot.

I think, overall, Lost has been one of the best tv shows in recent years. Certainly not The Best Ever (The Sopranos is pretty untouchable in my opinion) but definitely up there with some of the better shows.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    An interestig take on the show
    http://www.spoilertv.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19342&start=0

Some of it is a little off, but an interesting opinion

This was a great article, and helped me understand and clear a lot of things up. I recommend reading it.
    Thanks for posting!