Options

LOST- 6th and Final Season (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    With all that was left open (Hurley telling Ben he was a great #2, etc), I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a movie in the next few years.

There's not going to be a movie.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    My question is, if they nuked the island in the 70s, what reality is Kate, Sawyer, Claire going back to when they fly away in the end?

Anyone? Thoughts???
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    rrivers wrote:
    just BAD writing... and the bad writing led to bad acting... and the bad acting led me to not care about a single character

people act like the writers/creators are so smart for being able to tie everything together

THEY HAD 6 YEARS TO DO IT! good movies do more with characters in 2 hours

sorry to keep being a hater... just bored and looking to stir up trouble... get to the bottom of what the appeal really is

Yeah people on here love to talk about how anything can happen on this show and it is so smart. Having random mysterious things happen without any explanation is not smart writing. You are so right about good movies developing characters much more than these characters were developed over six years. And I love the argument over how some people were into the characters and some were into the mystery so if you were into the characters you were happy. Um, why is it too much to ask to have the character payoff and the mystery payoff?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    rrivers wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    just BAD writing... and the bad writing led to bad acting... and the bad acting led me to not care about a single character

people act like the writers/creators are so smart for being able to tie everything together

THEY HAD 6 YEARS TO DO IT! good movies do more with characters in 2 hours

sorry to keep being a hater... just bored and looking to stir up trouble... get to the bottom of what the appeal really is

Yeah people on here love to talk about how anything can happen on this show and it is so smart. Having random mysterious things happen without any explanation is not smart writing. You are so right about good movies developing characters much more than these characters were developed over six years. And I love the argument over how some people were into the characters and some were into the mystery so if you were into the characters you were happy. Um, why is it too much to ask to have the character payoff and the mystery payoff?
    In your opinion, that is what you wanted and what you needed to make it work. For you. I am sure there are shows you love and think are great that other people think are garbage. You made it clear on here many times that you have not liked the show for years. I am sorry it did not work out for you and you may have wasted a lot of time in it.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    edited May 2010

What are they saving? What is the island? Why do I care that they saved it? These are questions central to the show that are unanswered.

The mysteries are not irrelevant. I get that "Lost" refers to the characters and how they were lost in their previous lives. Because they set everything up and had no idea how to tie it all together into a cohesive, compelling story, now they say it is all about the characters and the mysteries don't matter. Why in every preview it said, "questions will be answered" and on the front of the DVD for the last season it says "all mysteries will be revealed"? It's not like these are the most nuanced, developed characters.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,521
    rrivers wrote:

In your opinion, that is what you wanted and what you needed to make it work. For you. I am sure there are shows you love and think are great that other people think are garbage. You made it clear on here many times that you have not liked the show for years. I am sorry it did not work out for you and you may have wasted a lot of time in it.
    +1 im sorry u didnt get into,but be sure today number 1 subject to talk in all the world by miilion of people is LOST
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

In your opinion, that is what you wanted and what you needed to make it work. For you. I am sure there are shows you love and think are great that other people think are garbage. You made it clear on here many times that you have not liked the show for years. I am sorry it did not work out for you and you may have wasted a lot of time in it.[/quote]

Yeah God forbid a discussion with opposing viewpoints actually happens here.

Just because people are discussing the show doesn't make it good.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

What are they saving? What is the island? Why do I care that they saved it? These are questions central to the show that are unanswered.

Didn't they say the island was a gateway to hell? I thought that was pretty well explained by the wine bottle cork scene with jacob. At least, that's my interpretation.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    It's all relative. "Good" is an opinion. If you didn't like the show, there's not much you can add to a thread about it.

What I like about it is that it is so confusing.. that even if randomly, poorly written, it makes me think, even if its thinking much about nothing. It's fiction. Not fact. It doesn't have to make sense.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    It's all relative. "Good" is an opinion. If you didn't like the show, there's not much you can add to a thread about it.

What I like about it is that it is so confusing.. that even if randomly, poorly written, it makes me think, even if its thinking much about nothing. It's fiction. Not fact. It doesn't have to make sense.

Thanks for letting me know when and where I can post. Maybe you can point me to a topic where I can add to a thread. Of course you could argue if you liked the show there is nothing to add because all you will post is what you liked about the show. Maybe if people with different opinions posted it would make for interesting discussion?

By the way, thanks for this sentence "What I like about it is that it is so confusing.. that even if randomly, poorly written, it makes me think, even if its thinking much about nothing. It's fiction. Not fact. It doesn't have to make sense". It is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. It makes you think about nothing and you like that? I apologize for asking my fiction to make sense. I know I am asking a lot.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    If you didn't like the show, there's not much you can add to a thread about it.
    ha... i like that logic...

life we would be pretty boring if everyone played by those rules

and i dont really feel like i wasted too much time with the show cause i wouldnt have been doing anything better with that time anyway... maybe posting here :lol:

and look how relevant i am in today's conversation by having sat through it!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options

and i dont really feel like i wasted too much time with the show cause i wouldnt have been doing anything better with that time anyway... maybe posting here :lol:

I'm talking about people disussing the events in the show, not their opinions of it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    rrivers wrote:
    I apologize for asking my fiction to make sense. I know I am asking a lot.
    For the most part, the show does make sense. For the parts that don't, its fun to fill in the answers. Some people like stuff more straight forward, some people don't. Personally, I don't like it when things are too straight forward. They left a lot of stuff unexplained, and I'm cool with that.

It could have ended better IMO. The first two seasons were stronger than the last two, but I was entertained.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options

I'm talking about people disussing the events in the show, not their opinions of it.
    hmm... seems like the show has been pretty dependant on peoples opinions since the beginning... its not a documentary... the "events" are only as spectacular as you believe them to be... i've based my opinion on concrete things like writing, acting, etc...

im not gonna beat a dead horse when people are clearly very happy and excited by last night though... just thought i'd see if people were willing and able to discuss the actual merit of the show... its always confused me... people say "i hate x, y, and z about the show but i cant stop watching it!"... now that the dust has cleared i figured people would be able to look at it more objectively

enjoy the buzz :mrgreen:

• Options
    My question is, if they nuked the island in the 70s, what reality is Kate, Sawyer, Claire going back to when they fly away in the end?

Anyone? Thoughts???
    There's only one reality, the "alternate" reality is only after you die.

They are flying back to the same life they took off from in the Ajira plane.
    "Money is no object," I said, "but I am on a budget."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Just because people are discussing the show doesn't make it good.[/quote]

No, I guess I took what you are saying as a slam against the people that enjoyed the show, the acting and the writing. Its fine that you did not like the show and maybe you did not get it, or did not like how it ended. You have made a few posts about what you did not like, but it is annoying when you are saying negative things against the people's opinions that like the show and the direction it went in.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I haven't been completely happy with this last season but there was enough of interest to keep me watching. I wasn't just "hooked" on the show; I liked a lot of what happened. Some of the episodes that seemed to be polarizing, like the one a couple of weeks ago about Jacob, MIB, and their mother, I didn't love OR hate. (I thought that one was OK but it had more than a few weaknesses.) I found the sideways world irritating for the first few episodes because people seemed to behave so ridiculously. Claire accepts a ride from Kate, who had held a gun to her head a few minutes earlier, then they become such BFFs that Claire gives her a credit card! :roll: :wtf: Once I figured out it was supposed to be unrealistic, it was kind of entertaining.

I'm one of the "character" fans but I still have my complaints. I don't like the way Widmore was bumped off since he seemed important to the story. Why was he so eager to possess the island? The only reason Lapidus survived the explosion on the sub was because they needed someone to fly the plane. I never understood his appeal and didn't expect him to last till the bitter end. What was Ilana's back story? And so on.

For the finale, I thought unplugging/plugging the hole was kind of dumb but the whole idea of a special light on the island seemed dumb too. As for the epic showdown between Jack and Smokey, I don't know what could have been done to really make it satisfying. I wasn't expecting an MMA smackdown. When Smokey was finally dead on the rocks it reminded me of Lord of the Flies.

I went into the finale with lowered expectations. I had a feeling we'd never learn the meaning of the numbers or why the island seemed to move in time and space. What made Desmond special? After paying so much attention to the Dharma Initiative, I'd like to know how they knew about the island in the first place. Oh well.

For the people who are saying that movies develop characters better than Lost did, I would say Sometimes. Also, films and TV series are 2 different genres. For a film, the time is limited and filmmakers want you to leave your house and go to a theater to watch (or rent the DVD). People who make TV series want to keep you tuning in week after week. If their ratings are good, they can sell ad time for higher prices. The more revenue, the higher the quality of the production. But a single TV episode still doesn't cost as much as it does to make a movie.

I've criticized the show many times and love to make fun of it. But I still enjoyed it or I would have stopped watching, as I've done with other shows. I thought the finale was pretty good, better than I expected.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Another question I have is why was Smokey so selective in whom he killed and who he let live? They never brought back Echo or really explained his importance. The island brought both him and his brother there.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,499
    After hearing people discuss it and mulling it over myself today, I'm really not pleased with how things wrapped up. It finished with far too many major plot points unresolved or unexplained for my taste. I've heard a multitude of theories, but none seem to be any more fact-based or concrete than those I came across 3 months or 3 years ago.

I think about how Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Prestige) and David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Mulholland Drive) have done a far better job of making me feel that I captured 90%, but am still left with 10% to debate and discuss. I really envy those who felt satisfied with how things came together because I'm not at all. I will gladly cop to being a drooling idiot who needs his tv entertainment spoon fed if I could have concrete answers to about a hundred questions.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

Just because people are discussing the show doesn't make it good.[/quote]

No, I guess I took what you are saying as a slam against the people that enjoyed the show, the acting and the writing. Its fine that you did not like the show and maybe you did not get it, or did not like how it ended. You have made a few posts about what you did not like, but it is annoying when you are saying negative things against the people's opinions that like the show and the direction it went in.[/quote]

I'm just disagreeing with people and it's not because I didn't get the show. Don't know why that's annoying.

Glad you enjoyed it!
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    After hearing people discuss it and mulling it over myself today, I'm really not pleased with how things wrapped up. It finished with far too many major plot points unresolved or unexplained for my taste. I've heard a multitude of theories, but none seem to be any more fact-based or concrete than those I came across 3 months or 3 years ago.

I think about how Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Prestige) and David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Mulholland Drive) have done a far better job of making me feel that I captured 90%, but am still left with 10% to debate and discuss. I really envy those who felt satisfied with how things came together because I'm not at all. I will gladly cop to being a drooling idiot who needs his tv entertainment spoon fed if I could have concrete answers to about a hundred questions.

I feel the same way. I think it was LikeanOcean who compared it to Star Wars where they explained the force and it was lame. This was a good point that I meant to mention in a previous post. I do agree that explaining everything could have been very lame. But pjl44 makes good points that way too much was left out there and the frustrating thing for me is that I feel like Cuse and Lindelof didn't even try to come up with answers.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    rrivers wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

I feel the same way. I think it was LikeanOcean who compared it to Star Wars where they explained the force and it was lame. This was a good point that I meant to mention in a previous post. I do agree that explaining everything could have been very lame. But pjl44 makes good points that way too much was left out there and the frustrating thing for me is that I feel like Cuse and Lindelof didn't even try to come up with answers.

I'm going to agree they should have answered more than they did, but it still was enough to keep me entertained. I think they dug the question hole too deep and had a hard time wrapping it all up. Maybe another season would have fixed that, but I also think they might have dragged it all on too long. Really, Lost would have been better at 4 seasons, or perhaps a mini-series. They should go back and edit out unfinished stuff, maybe make it more lean.

I still love Lost, but I think as far as sci-fi shows tackling faith goes, Battlestar Galactica was a little better.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

No, I guess I took what you are saying as a slam against the people that enjoyed the show, the acting and the writing. Its fine that you did not like the show and maybe you did not get it, or did not like how it ended. You have made a few posts about what you did not like, but it is annoying when you are saying negative things against the people's opinions that like the show and the direction it went in.[/quote]

I'm just disagreeing with people and it's not because I didn't get the show. Don't know why that's annoying.

Glad you enjoyed it![/quote]

Again, what I found annoying is when you seemed to slam people that liked the show for no reason, that is all.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    talk about hitting the lotto! the writers were in such a rare and fortunate spot where doing as little as possible was most beneficial... when the majority of the fans watch the show to play detective why make anyone feel dumb for guessing incorrectly? just go back to the character development (which hasn't really been central since season 1) and leave people feeling warm and fuzzy... those against warm and fuzzy feelings can continue debating and creating fan fiction... from a PR standpoint the finale was actually GENIUS! doesn't really alienate anyone... not bad, not mind-blowing

something nice to say finally :mrgreen:

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,521
    i read all the post and this getting stronger!!im proud to be a fan in the best band and tv series in the world
    pearl jam and lost...!!!!whooohoo...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    i read all the post and this getting stronger!!im proud to be a fan in the best band and tv series in the world
    pearl jam and lost...!!!!whooohoo...

+1. Couldn't have said it any better.

These two are pretty much the same song and they got to me last night during the finale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdjQQD-lNA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxxuYUWsTXU

Thank you Michael Giacchino!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    FearTheBeardFearTheBeard Posts: 666
    Don't know if this was posted, but pretty funny...

http://techland.com/2010/05/24/the-lost ... st-before/
  • Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    something pretty weird about jack creating an imaginary (and creepy looking) son for himself in dreamland... doesnt seem that necessary to him meeting up with his island friends

working out daddy issues? :?

I got the feeling that Jack's son was pretty much a deus ex machina to show the passage of time they've spent in purgatory. Since the sideways time line had no real "time" they could have been there for years and years, so the son was a plot device used to show the viewers that Jack had been there for quite awhile.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    and WHAT does electromagnetism have anything to do with all this?? just an attempt at adding another sci-fi element? it doesnt seem like jack was any worse off after pluggin up the whole than desmond was... maybe if widmore wasnt so conveniently and thoughtlessly killed off that wouldve been explained

• Options

Glad you enjoyed it![/quote]

Again, what I found annoying is when you seemed to slam people that liked the show for no reason, that is all.[/quote]

Find me one place where I slammed people for liking the show. I mentioned reasons I didn't like the show.