(PJ related) CBS: Video Relay Interpreters Companies Busted

1235»

Comments

• aw! thanks i wish i could be there too. :)

She sounds very professional and seems to have common sense.

Alright! *High fist*
    hehehe
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    aw! thanks i wish i could be there too. :)

Seriously, girl...really wish you could. You'd be also very good at testing things out as well and giving her the feedbacks prior, during, and after! AND also I'd love to finally meet you in person!

I'm gonna beg my hubby's friend who has a very very very nice RV for that weekend - no way in hell am i gonna do the camping thing! I'm too old for that shit anymore. At least, I'm not 'physically' fit for that - not being used to camping for decades.
    She sounds very professional and seems to have common sense.

Yes, she is...that's why I really liked talking with her and always felt comfortable talking to her about anything. I didn't know she had a fan page on FB too! She has her own business doing this with the festivals for patrons with disabilities... I knew about this before, but didn't put 2 and 2 together. Yeah, sometimes I am slow on catching things. :roll:
    Alright! *High fist*
    hehehe
    :mrgreen:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Are you working on the letter? :)
    PJ: 07-16-06 ; 08-28-09 ; 10-23-10 ; 11-26-13 ; 05-13-24
    EV: 04-08-08 ; 07-05-11
    Mike: 07-07-11 ; 05-20-12
    Soundgarden: 07-21-11

10C #271XXX
    Since 2002
    Are you working on the letter? :)

Not yet... :oops:

Too much going on right now....

But wanted to tell you now that you're out of school... i laughed about your comment on your teacher talking like SEE communication mode... that got me laughing!

Made me think of one terp in college - who was sweet but her signing was so SEE...I literally fell asleep within 10 minutes in the class. She kept asking me if it was because of her signing??!!

I couldn't bring myself to tell her... she was such a sweetie so I lied and said it was because of the lunch I had just eaten and not having enough sleep cuz of kids and working part time, blah blah blah... she was like ohh ok, whew. :P

And the next time I saw that terp? She was on "Home Extreme Makeover" with a deaf family here in Michigan (friends of mine, but not close ones).... she was hired by the crew and saw her on the bus.

But she wasn't part of the show.... I was like :silent: I knew why. :P

Anyway... hahah.

I'll try to get to that letter... don't know when, though....
    ~Q Magazine

I've got a dilemma going on here on Lollapalooza this year.

My son enjoyed himself so much in 2008 that he'd like to go this year and I'm encouraging him to save up for the trip and also maybe volunteer there if there's room.

He wants to volunteer at Rothbury - preferably in helping with the stage. I hope he can get in...it'd be a great experience for him!

Anyway...with the rumors going on with the possibility of PJ playing at Lolla again and not because of PJ but because of the music festival and the city itself, hubby and I would like to go.

But I cannot go with those unethical interpreters who will be working there. I just can't. I do not work well with unethical people. It brings out the worse out of me, even worse than them. People are sick of me talking about this issue and it's gotten to the point where I have to let it go and move on. That is really difficult for me but I will try my best.

Hubby said I should try to separate them personally from their professionalism. Well that's easier said than done, especially after what happened in 2007 and it was hard enough biting my own tongue in 2008 at Lolla.

In 2008, I requested that local and qualified Chicago interpreters be involved...and requested their names as well. Well, they were involved, but names were refused.

I thought, whew...I don't have to watch them at the shows I requested.

Wrong. They were all over the place and what did the local interpreters do? Mostly nothing, watching them at work. If they got lucky, they did one song or so.

I saw several interpreters complaining in private about how they were ordered to "watch" and "help" us in the designated area. In other words, babysitting us!

I also saw one of the interpreters in charge hiding herself from me but I moved slightly closer and pretended to watch the interpreter at work, but was watching her through my sunglasses, ordering the local interpreters to go to that certain stage (unknown band at a small stage) in about 15 minutes with this authority attitude. I saw how it irrirated the local interpreters. It wasn't about teamwork but control and power struggle.

I heard two local interpreters walked out because they were angry and that they "didn't sign up for this". Bad move on their behalf...made them and the rest look bad, in my opinion.

I thought oh man I am SO not getting into this, I had already gotten myself in so much trouble with my husband because of so much time and energy I had put into fighting the case. I thought, at least those interpreters would use their power to speak up.

Did they? Nope.

I asked this deaf guy who travels all over the USA working various festivals about the recent Lolla 09...but he is the type who looks out for himself and protects his personal interests. For example, I knew he was working Outside Lands festival and there was NO access information for ASL interpreters or anything on their website. Even though I wasn't going, I knew of a few deaf/hoh people who might have been interested in going so I emailed Outside Lands, requesting information about sign language interpreters. No responses from anybody.

So I told this guy and another guy - this was their opportunity to make some changes and how to do things that I had learned and what not to do from the mistakes I've learned.

Did they? Nope. I asked this traveling guy whether he saw PJ and he said yeah...but no interpreter. "No deaf/hard of hearing people were there, I guess...so..." I said how do you know that? You are assuming that. Idiot. You didn't do anything to help them getting the access they needed. MORON!!!!

Nobody is speaking up so I have to shut the fuck up because it is only making me look worse, even here on the board. It's like I've got so loud that it's tuning people out.

I honestly don't know if I really could handle it standing in front of those same interpreters at Lolla for PJ...and biting my tongue, even for the sake of others. I did that for 2008 and it was hard. But for PJ...would be even much harder with the hard feelings I have towards those individuals.

Nobody else is complaining so...I have to sit back and let them run their own thing.

If it were you in my shoes, would you go to Lolla this year to see PJ with the same interpreters?
    ~Q Magazine

• people need to speak up.
    lazyasses!
    this why people with disabilities have such a hard time, because other lame ass people won't help speak up. well it's a part of the problem anyway.

me, my opinion i don't like festivals. so i wouldn't go. and if i knew it would def be a pain in the ass i really wouldn't go.

it's a shame.
    she/we should have GOOD access without all this bullshit. but she/we don't.

*people with disbilities

people need to speak up.
    lazyasses!
    this why people with disabilities have such a hard time, because other lame ass people won't help speak up. well it's a part of the problem anyway.

me, my opinion i don't like festivals. so i wouldn't go. and if i knew it would def be a pain in the ass i really wouldn't go.

it's a shame.
    she/we should have GOOD access without all this bullshit. but she/we don't.

*people with disbilities

agreed, but I can only speak out long enough...it's draining me out at this point and not a damn thing I can do but to do other things for the same thing, like writing the letter for the sake of others, not me. There are times when you have to step back and let things run its course...even for the worse, unfo.

BTW... there are issues to be improved for people in wheelchairs at the festivals. We need more like you involved. ;) At least you get to sit on an evaluated (sp??) platform and overseeing the abled-bodies people!
    ~Q Magazine

• IamMine wrote:
    [
    agreed, but I can only speak out long enough...it's draining me out at this point and not a damn thing I can do but to do other things for the same thing, like writing the letter for the sake of others, not me. There are times when you have to step back and let things run its course...even for the worse, unfo.

BTW... there are issues to be improved for people in wheelchairs at the festivals. We need more like you involved. ;) At least you get to sit on an evaluated (sp??) platform and overseeing the abled-bodies people!

that's what i'm saying.
    other deaf lazy fuckers need to help you.
    sorry, it really makes me mad, the lack of unity.

i remember begging for those elevated platforms when they were none.
    that has gotten better i must say.

that's what i'm saying.
    other deaf lazy fuckers need to help you.
    sorry, it really makes me mad, the lack of unity.

I know, it pisses me off too. :evil:

What's worse, some of them would rather be on the interpreters' sides and blinding themselves....so that way they'd get what they need and want, not having to deal with what I and others have to. That's why I will always be an outsider...but I'm okay with that. As long as I have my hubby and family... I'm just fine with that.
    i remember begging for those elevated platforms when they were none.
    that has gotten better i must say.

Yeah...the funny thing is... this disabilty office in Chicago... the man in charge is in a wheelchair himself...but a coward, in my opinion, when me and another deaf person bought up issues, not only ours but for his group as well.... dumbfuck wouldn't stand up for his group.

Why? cuz of the million of dollars contract with lolla and he didn't want to risk that, I think. coward. we ended up fighting for those people in wheelchairs as well. sheesh.

it has improved a lot for 2008 for people in wheelchairs compared to 2007... but those folks were so mad that they were lumped with us deaf/hoh people... they made noises and that's how they got their platform thing for 2008... but what about us? fuckers.

They actually yelled at me for "blocking" the wheelies when I was trying to wave the interpreters' attention...but I was conscious enough not to stand directly in front of them, but from the side. I guess people are not used to see arms/hands moving so much in the air? The worker, particularly one guy from the Access, literally yelled at me close in my face. Whoa... I do not deal with that very well so I snapped back at him. The royal bitch came out of me.

I told him to take me to the interpreters so I could see them and he refused and almost being a smartass going, "put it in the suggestion box" and "there's nothing else we can do for you."

Asshole, I just got here for the weekend and this is really a simple problem to fix!!

We hissed at each other then hubby came and stepped in to break us up... he was trying to be a peacemaker. He tried to explain to them but they wouldn't listen or understand.

(I get a kick out of this quote on their website: "We provide interpreting, coordination, advocacy, workshops and consultant services to festivals, conferences, theatres and interpreters across the United States. " HAHAHAHAHA....turns into a weak maniac laughter...)

Wheelies were relieved to see me gone. fuckers, lol. We don't work or unite well, like you pointed out in your papers. Jeez wheez.

why fight each other so much? it's idiotic.

Regardless...I think 2010 will bring some positive changes, despite some things will remain the same... the lands eventually have to re-shift from all the madness, greed, corruption, etc...
    ~Q Magazine

• you're right. thats sounds dumb. could've easily be fixed. move you over a bit so you won't be blocking the view.

the guy in office in a wheelchair.... all i gots to say is everything comes down to money.

yeah, i've never known where i fit in either. :roll:
    never been one to pretend i don't have a disability
    can make friends with the ablied-bodied poluation pretty quick. don't act all shy.
    don't mind hanging out with severely disabled people.

the guy in office in a wheelchair.... all i gots to say is everything comes down to money.

Yup...it isn't because of him being in a wheelchair...it's money. I see this too in the deaf organizations. That's why I fear when my group talks about turning our unofficial organization into a 503(c) non-profit.... eventually it's gonna end up just like others. but maybe I'm just being pessimistic.
    yeah, i've never known where i fit in either. :roll:
    never been one to pretend i don't have a disability
    can make friends with the ablied-bodied poluation pretty quick. don't act all shy.
    don't mind hanging out with severely disabled people.

You know....you had me thinking last night! I am not going to deny that it happens for the obvious reason...but then I look at my hubby. He doesn't have disability and he doesn't feel he fits in, either.

Had it not been for me and the kids, he would have been more detached from people. It is difficult to get in his space and only a few close friends. It isn't that he isn't friendly because he is, but he will not open up to anyone.

It's funny because I like to talk to people and share info...and he doesn't. :P We are day and night people but we balance each other.

I know at times it's frustrating when people behave like that, as if we were diseases...but for the most part, I don't really mind being an outsider. It does give me more freedom, if that makes sense.... :D

P.S. Yes, I know it's 4:30am.... I must be getting old, getting awfully harder and harder that I can't get 8 hours of sleep without waking up! haha
    ~Q Magazine

• Yeah, it’s one of the things I mention in my paper. The disabled community doesn’t have money to lobby for our needs and rights. That can be a big problem at times. money talks.
    I don’t think you’re being pessimistic, just realistic. I define myself that way too. When I was young, adults had painted this happy bright world for people with disabilities. When I grew up and discovered things on my own I’d felt like they had lied to me and I resented them for it.
    When I’ve been offered to be some kid with a disability mentor, I say to the person interviewing me, fine you feel and I feel that I’d be great at this. But I’m not going to candy coat anything for this kid.
    And a few occasions I can’t help but wonder if me being a realist doesn’t get me hired a as mentor.

Your bobby sounds like an introvert. Nothing wrong with that. Plenty people are. You’re right, you balance one another out. I can see that just by talking to you on the net. You have a lot to say! But you know what else they say, gotta look out for those quite ones……lol!

get some sleep!

Yeah, it’s one of the things I mention in my paper. The disabled community doesn’t have money to lobby for our needs and rights. That can be a big problem at times. money talks.

:P That is what annoys me the most... money, money, money... whatever happened to just passion and activism? Not enough... pfft.
    I don’t think you’re being pessimistic, just realistic. I define myself that way too. When I was young, adults had painted this happy bright world for people with disabilities. When I grew up and discovered things on my own I’d felt like they had lied to me and I resented them for it.

*nods* And they're still doing it today....I can't tell you how upsetting it is for me to watch parents of deaf children or even deaf people who use cochlear implants, bragging and telling how oh wonderful and life-changing it is - to hear and speak! You don't need to learn sign language! *dances*

Hallelujah! HAALLEEELLLUJJJAAHHH!!!!

I'm just going wtf....*groans*. At this one meeting for people with cochlear implants I attended to learn how to make the most of our devices... I had requested an interpreter.

Prior to that meeting, I couldn't fricken catch everything what everyone was saying and they were all dandy and happy, laughing and talking....I was like hmmm....this must be working very well for them 'cause they seemed to understand everything what others were saying.

At this meeting, I saw several people getting annoyed and irritated with me and the interpreter, especially when I was asking questions through her.

One lady finallly bursted, "It's not fair that she got an interpreter! I can't understand everything and I'm frustrated!" Several others agreed and I got the nasty look, like I was being unfair to them.

I told them calmly that if we worked together and be aware of exactly what we really need in order to get equal access for communication, we could.

What happened? the director was bombed with requests for CART and interpreters (both signing and oral)....

Meetings were delayed because of insufficient funding to get the services they needed. :P

Even the president of Alexander Graham Bell for the Deaf Association (AGB) has cochlear implants and whenever he was talking to the media, it looked like he was talking directly to the interviewer, but actually there is an oral interpreter behind (and hidden from the media) translating what the interviewer was saying.

This gives false impression and very deceiving.... so that's why I don't really talk too much about my cochlear implant anymore. It's not what they are painting it to be.... that it'd make one happy and living like everyone else. :roll:

Ok... *shuts up* I talk way too much... that's my problem, i know. :P
    But you know what else they say, gotta look out for those quite ones……lol!

No shit.... when Bobby talks, people listen very closely, especially when he's serious or angry. He thinks very heavily before he talks. I wish I had that kind of control.

Ah, I'll take a nap in a bit... after I do my chores. ;)
    ~Q Magazine

• IamMine wrote:
    This gives false impression and very deceiving.... so that's why I don't really talk too much about my cochlear implant anymore. It's not what they are painting it to be.... that it'd make one happy and living like everyone else. :roll:

Mind if I ask what exactly they are and what all they do? You keep mentioning them. I don't know anything about them, so I don't have any false impressions. Educate me please! :D
    PJ: 07-16-06 ; 08-28-09 ; 10-23-10 ; 11-26-13 ; 05-13-24
    EV: 04-08-08 ; 07-05-11
    Mike: 07-07-11 ; 05-20-12
    Soundgarden: 07-21-11

10C #271XXX
    Since 2002
  • dammit you like to type

and type

and type

and type

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

P.S. Ed has stock in CBS.......why?! Because! It's evolution, baby!
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
    dammit you like to type

and type

and type

and type

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

P.S. Ed has stock in CBS.......why?! Because! It's evolution, baby!

:) Aye, I do. I am better at it than actually speaking with my own voice. ;)

And you are more than welcome to just ignore this thread and you are not obliged to read. And that is really a funny PS.

dirtyfrank2005 - I'll answer your question soon.
    ~Q Magazine

Mind if I ask what exactly they are and what all they do? You keep mentioning them. I don't know anything about them, so I don't have any false impressions. Educate me please! :D

No, I don't mind...but I am not very good at explaining, so I found this video on YouTube showing and explaining what they are and what they do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WA7-k_UcWY

Sounds good for people with hearing losses, right? Except that it's customized for each individual with mappings (programming - for an example of mapping, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFx9nj17nn4).

Not everyone hears the same, nor do they respond the same way... for various reasons. Their ability to understand and interpret sounds... and for some, it takes intensive AVT training. It's not always a guarantee.

I have seen various results... some do very well, but even those who do well are still limited.

I had this one volunteer flying in here from Chicago, representing CochlearAmericas on Nucleus model I was choosing, coming to see me so she could share her story about her CI before I made a personal decision to go for CI.

Upon entering my house, she was like oh hold on, mind if I answer this phone? I said sure go ahead... she picked up her cell phone and talked into her phone. I was like oh wow...this stuff works.

I even had my mom and hubby call her...and they got her answering machine, but they were impressed with her.

Interestingly, I later found out that she spent years in speech therapy and almost all of her waking hours on listening... with her husband. But not anyone else - she could not talk to anyone else but her own husband. Growing up, her father could not accept her deafness so he spent a lot of money on speech therapists so that his daughter could talk like anyone else. She grew up learning to listen and speak in school and outside, just to please her dad.

That was deceiving because she left out the "limitations" - such as talking to people other than her own husband and not always understanding people with her CIs.

Another example, I saw this deaf guy with CI at Lolla... he didn't know sign language (very common for audiologists/teachers to tell parents NOT to teach or use ASL for their children with CIs for "fear" of losing their speech skills *scoffs*)... he seemed to communicate well with hearing people... until I caught him misunderstanding what one person said and I took him aside privately and told him. He was like oh thanks... opps. Then he admitted to me that he didn't always understand people... and pretended just by nodding. This is how he grew up with his CI.

jeez. Those are just two examples and I could list the worst ones.... such as one mother's 3 year old boy who received CIs on both ears not long after he was born... and couldn't develop a language until he was 2 1/2 when the mother decided to have him learn ASL after spending so much time in AVT training but it didn't do shit. He's doing much better now... but he's not walking normally - loss of balance because of CIs. This isn't uncommon.

Any other questions, lemme know. :D
    ~Q Magazine

• that just shows you need both. can't have one without the other. ASL and implant

i would not want to have ANY gaps in communication.
    sometimes i can tell when my CP speech is bad on one line and i just know somebody didn't understand me. people don't want to say what so when i get that feeling i automaticly repreat myself.

ask me to repeat. it's ok to say what to me. it's much ruder to just nod like you understood when we both know you didn't. :mrgreen:

edited January 2010
    Blondie, you were right – I was not being pessimistic, but being realistic. I am really bothered by this whole mess – the deaf organization I’m representing and the whole BEI interpreter law with DODHH. That guy with CP – his ass will be grass, too.

Firstly, I recently found out that the reason I was asked to give a speech on behalf of the president since he couldn’t make it to the MSU rally….was because he was training for his first day… as a BEI evaluator (testing interpreters if they were qualified to be an interpreter)! That conflicts with his position as the president of the organization, whose mission is to protect the rights of and provide services for the Deaf community. We’re supposed to be the watchdogs for the community.

I also was asked to apply for the BEI evaluator position but I turned it down because it would have been unethical and conflict of interest with my position – even with my unofficial position at the other organization.

But the president went ahead and applied for the job! And not only that, I also just found out that he applied and got a job with another deaf organization. Un-fucking-believable.

This organization I’m representing hasn’t had a good reputation with the community because they haven’t done shit, but all talking (or signing, for that matter).

I was being used to make this organization look good...because I have strong ethics. And I’m pissed as hell. Thank god my position is only for 2 years and then I’m done. At least I learned a few things.

We are having a board meeting tomorrow to discuss the concerns being bought up by the interpreters, as well as two national organizations being involved to investigate the DODHH who is setting up the new interpreter law system. They just announced it on their site: http://www.rid.org/UserFiles/File/pdfs/ ... 0final.pdf

Jesus! And the director? She is my good friend of 20 years...we fought hard to get her in the position to represent us at the state level. She always was and still is a fighter...she fought for me as well when I was going back to school when I was pregnant with our 3rd child, when she was my vocational rehabilitation counselor. She was – and still to this day – the only deaf and black female counselor in the state of MI.

So it is very very disappointing for me to watch her career going to be destroyed by this whole mess she’s involved in. It is very sickening in my stomach.

I am not good with the politics shit...especially watching people doing unethical things. It just makes me angry and feeling hopeless for the betterment of humanity.

I am not really looking forward to the board meeting tomorrow...and I don’t intend to say anything. Just sit there and listen, give my reports. I’m just too pissed to say anything at the meeting.

The land is re-shifting, blondie, it’s definitely re-shifting.
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

One more thing Blondie (and anyone else who hasn't gotten tired of my long ass posts by now) that I'd like for you to read when you have time...I wanted to share this with you (she gave us the permission to share with anyone, she doesn't care) because I will be gone for the weekend so I wanted to take this opportunity.

This is the mother of my friend I've been telling you about - she's an advocate for the deaf/hoh and also used to be an interpreter, she quit a few years ago.

Here's her thoughts in response to the whole DODHH mess:

Following are my personal thoughts, beliefs and opinions about the most recent issue related to the DODHH's proposed plan to limit interpreter employment - "the grid" for lack of a better term - based on one's type of certification and experience. These are just my ruminations, prompted by the letters and complaints I see circulating, and my outrage that they are being dismissed as "scare tactics." I am so revolted by all of this, that I don't care of if you share this with others.

1. The Michigan author(s) of the "grid" showing the plan for which interpreters can do what, are not named. I have been told that some members of the RRC saw revisions of the plan after they were already developed, without their knowledge or input. So, who are the actual authors, and who are the people who are proposing that some plan that limits interpreter employment based on type of certification, become part of the implementing regulations in MI?

2. I understand that Texas has a similar plan ("grid") that is RECOMMENDED or SUGGESTED, but is not enforced. Why should it be enforced in MI? How would it be enforced? Will DODHH make more money enforcing it, by collecting fees?

3. Neither Texas nor Michigan authors and proponents (whoever they are) identify the research or any kind of objective data, if any, this "grid" is based on. Personally, I doubt that any such research or data actually exists, though I don't know that for sure. But who ever come up with this plan doggone well better know and be able to point to it. No reason(s) are given for the determination of which interpreters will be allowed to accept what kind of assignments, or which tests are "better" than others, or why some number of years of experience accrued by some kinds of interpreters counts more than some tests do. It appears to be the subjective opinion of one or more unidentified person(s). If so, then this or any similar plan is arbitrary and unreasonable.

4. The unnamed author(s) of the plan, regardless of which version is being referenced, propose putting regulatory conditions and limitations on the employment of interpreters who have passed nationally recognized and respected tests, about which they, themselves, are not experts. No other state entity, including all other DLEG offices, divisions and commissions, limits by regulation or otherwise, employment opportunities depending on which test a person took or what kind of score a person got on a test, for anyone in all the other fields and professions that are regulated in this State. To my knowledge, no other state enforces these kinds of limitations, and to my knowledge, only one other state even recommends it.

5. The proposed plan(s) (it is rumored that there are a number of revised plans) for limiting the employment opportunities of interpreters in MI have only been shared with with SOME people. The documents are not available on line. A select group were given a copy of the original "grid;" even fewer - an elite, hand-picked few, it seems - were invited to discuss the secret proposal (secret because it has only been shared with some people and is not been made available to the public) with the DODHH "Director and Rules and Regulations standards subcommittee members. Guess the rest of us will have to wait for the "open" public comments period, since we have been denied access to the private, and by invitation only, comments session.. Oh, wait! By the time open public comment sessions are held, won't the limitations plan already be implemented? Too late for us, I think!

6. Disrespecting the opinions and rights of the public; flouting DELEG's commitment to transparency; disrespecting selected national certification tests; devaluing the time, money and effort most interpreters have spent on developing their skills and serving the Deaf Community; and paying DODHH to be able to interpret in MI certainly discourages interpreters from remaining in the field, and discourages prospective candidates from entering. Citing the arbitrary nature of the proposed plan(s) developed by unnamed individuals(s) and the disrespect shown to nationally certified interpreters who are not "approved" by those anonymous authors, and disrespecting the hard work and experience of QA interpreters, are not mere "scare tactics." The DODHH's own document, available at http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis/I ... 5252_7.pdf shows there is already a shortage of interpreters in Michigan, and that the shortage will continue. Add to that the disrespect the plan to limit interpreter employment opportunities shows to many interpreters, plus the disrespect shown to all concerned citizens who are not counted by the DODHH and the RRC as preferred enough to have full access to all information and to give feedback, are very real indication that the shortage of interpreters in MI will get worse than previously anticipated. Saying this is not a scare tactic.. In my opinion, this simply recognizes that it is human nature to leave a system (in this case, interpreting under the proposed conditions) that does not appreciate one's skills and efforts, and that does not respect *all* stakeholders. I believe that saying that the proposed limitations on interpreter employment will cause a worse shortage of interpreters is not a scare tactic. Under the current conditions, I believe it is the logical conclusion.

In my opinion, this is just the tip of the iceberg, and is far from being the only problematic issue with the entire process of developing implementing regulations for the new interpreter law, the BEI and matters related to it.

You can share my opinions with anyone -- I don't care. I'm not an interpreter any more. (But if I were still an an interpreter, given the current circumstances, I would quit!) I quit several years ago, for reasons unrelated to any of what is going on now. Implementing any of the proposed plans will not affect my pay or my employment or my career status. I don't have a financial or political axe to grind. I do, however, care very deeply about the Deaf Community and the interpreting community. I know about logic and reason; cause and effect. And I do know about ethics.

CJ
    ~Q Magazine

• 'I am not good with the politics shit...especially watching people doing unethical things. It just makes me angry and feeling hopeless for the betterment of humanity.'

GOD, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ON THAT ONE!! smiley-bangheadonwall.gif

i haven't read the whole posts. i will.
    but
    before they hire anybody don't they check for conflict of interest? or is it they don't care?

'

i haven't read the whole posts. i will.

Nah, don't even bother... that was just the iceberg...go any further and your head would just explode. I had a massive headache and today I'm just dazed about the whole thing. I am finding out more about things/people, getting to the truth and I am disgusted.
    '
    but
    before they hire anybody don't they check for conflict of interest? or is it they don't care?

Well, I don't know...I think that nobody thought it was even a big deal to even ask what he was doing that day for the job training....he didn't say and nobody asked. As for his new job at another organization, I asked around and found out that it doesn't conflict with this organization that he is president of because it is a job placement. As for the BEI evaluator position, that was confidential. I don't know why, though.... it's under the state of Michigan and government officers should not perform anything in confidential but share with the public. It's not a matter of security with this position! A lot of people didn't know about his "secret" job.

Interestingly, though...and I may come off as paranoid, but I think things are just too coincidental. I think certain person(s) is/are watching me here.

Because at the meeting, he said that he was a resident of Texas for 20+ years... and then talked about his new job that he couldn't attend the rally but "was laid off a few weeks later". He didn't say what his job was. :P Nobody asked, either - temporary job so why even bother ask? It has nothing to do with the meeting itself.

Why did he even bring that up? :P

I may let out a lot of information here...and knew it was public. But I am not that stupid. I have way, way, way more information that I shared here. My head is full of secrets and information. I call myself the Queen of Secrets and I'm not even bragging. That is a fact.

I may be slow at times, but I do eventually get there - the truth. Again, I'm not that stupid.

This whole thing is fucked up...and I don't want to be part of it. I do not appreciate being lied to. At all.

As for writing the letter to the PJ management... *shrugs* I think it's time for other deaf/hoh peeps out there to get off their asses and do it, not me. Why are they waiting for me to do it, hmm? I ain't the only one who would like to see this happen.
    ~Q Magazine

• start a fans that are deaf thread. i wannta see how many there're. but not here, like at a free pj site like red mosquito. (sp) no other deaf person has spoke up here that i remember.
    i would like to see if anybody chimes in and see what their interp expirences have been.

yup, i often ask my mom if when i get old will i just not care anymore, because caring really takes it out of you.
    i remember what Ed was like at my age. really all young people. angry and want to change the world.
    it's fucking exhusting.

(and yes, no spell check on this post) :)

start a fans that are deaf thread. i wannta see how many there're. but not here, like at a free pj site like red mosquito. (sp) no other deaf person has spoke up here that i remember.

They wouldn't. I'm actually surprised they haven't jumped in HERE, even if it's just one or two of them.

And I saw one deaf/hoh person was ridiculed at RM about two years ago.... this sends a message to others not to even bother coming. nice.

Plus...for others, they'd rather talk about it in ASL. Even at that online community where they communicate in ASL, maybe about 5 talked about it. Several have seen PJ but not with interpreters.

I have yet found one who had seen PJ with interpreters... except maybe in Seattle recently. Restlessoul mentioned being in front of interpreters in the fanview but when I PM'd him, he never responded to me. Oh well.

It's like... why even bother, you know? :roll:
    ~Q Magazine