GA Aggression?

Comments

• Jelmot wrote:
    It would be nice if the 10C members had an exclusive zone, even if it was just a small section front and center. That way the GA folk who seem content on causing grief stay away from the truely awesome fans PJ have and PJ can easily acknowledge the 10C fans.

I completely agree.

I had a couple of experiences like the OP's in Manchester this year. We waited patiently with the other 10C peeps and the atmosphere was good. GA flooded in and suddenly the atmosphere changed. GA people were literally forcing their way through tight groups of friends and treading on others. I had a spat with one guy who tried to force (using his elbows no less) himself and several of his friends into a gap that was the size of a postage stamp amidst shouts from the people around him of "There's nowhere for you to go, we're like sardines as it is!". I was polite to him and asked him to move, he laughed and ignored me. I informed him that some people he forced out of the way had been queueing for hours and he just patronised, laughed at and belittled me. I kept my temper, said a few choice words and decided to move as I didn't want to be thrown out for punching the twat in the face. We moved back and found some other friends. Again, there was little space but enough for me and Dave to stand with them. Suddenly my friend was being barged into the people stood next to him by some woman with a GA wristband and a bad attitude who wanted to stand where he was. Needless to say he sorted the situation, but it simply shouldn't have happened.

We're considering some seated shows for the next tour because of Manchester. I'd love a seperate area for 10C.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Back to the crowd feeding energy to the band check out la night 2 right after alive - vedders saying exactly that. Is it an act? Who knows but it sure makes sense to me

taking a piss? Really you can't avoid the bathroom for a few hours? Even if not you have to ask yourself would you rather have an hour up close with the band queuing a while to get that chance and then see the rest of the show from a little further back or watch it all from the back of the floor in your seat ? With ga you have the option without being on a whim and a prayer for the lottery.

And never forget there are a fair amount of wankers at seated shows too by all accounts!!

Okay, let's say your statement is true for example's sake. Can you give an example where the band gave a sub-par show due to lack of crowd energy?

can you give me an example where the band played a great show for a dead/bored crowd?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    jrnyc wrote:
    GA sucks. Unfortunately there are always knuckleheads who will push their way to the front at last minute. Not fair to the people who are already there and dont want to stoop to the knuckleheads level to do battle with them.

Seats at a PJ show are not meant to be sat in, but the mark your territory so the knuckleheads cant steal your spot.

Exactly just because there is a seat behind you doesn't mean you can't rock out ... :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Back to the crowd feeding energy to the band check out la night 2 right after alive - vedders saying exactly that. Is it an act? Who knows but it sure makes sense to me

taking a piss? Really you can't avoid the bathroom for a few hours? Even if not you have to ask yourself would you rather have an hour up close with the band queuing a while to get that chance and then see the rest of the show from a little further back or watch it all from the back of the floor in your seat ? With ga you have the option without being on a whim and a prayer for the lottery.

And never forget there are a fair amount of wankers at seated shows too by all accounts!!

Okay, let's say your statement is true for example's sake. Can you give an example where the band gave a sub-par show due to lack of crowd energy?

can you give me an example where the band played a great show for a dead/bored crowd?

why didnt I put it like that
    pdalowsky wrote:
    slightly off topic though, i was amused once by a lady at an REM show who gave someone a real telling off because 'this is my spot'. maybe she was right but she didnt understand the nature of a GA show at all

yet everybody in here acts like that's what they expect and are entitled to at a GA show...
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    pdalowsky wrote:

A poster on the fanview of Adelaide said the GA crowd was lackluster. I thought this never happens for a GA show? ;)

I agree there are idiots at seated shows, but you normally don't have the violence like you do at a GA show. At a seated show I am not worried about being pushed around or pulled out of the way so some self-entitled twit can make his way to the front.

Although funny story with a reserved seated idiot at a NIN/JA show. Some overly drunk/stoned fool was pumping his fist during the NIN set and didn't quite have control of himself and nailed me in the back of the head. I just turned around, he apologized and I asked him to fist pump straight up in the air. It was an accident and he learned some self-control for the rest of the show.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Jelmot wrote:
    It would be nice if the 10C members had an exclusive zone, even if it was just a small section front and center. That way the GA folk who seem content on causing grief stay away from the truely awesome fans PJ have and PJ can easily acknowledge the 10C fans.

I completely agree.

I had a couple of experiences like the OP's in Manchester this year. We waited patiently with the other 10C peeps and the atmosphere was good. GA flooded in and suddenly the atmosphere changed. GA people were literally forcing their way through tight groups of friends and treading on others. I had a spat with one guy who tried to force (using his elbows no less) himself and several of his friends into a gap that was the size of a postage stamp amidst shouts from the people around him of "There's nowhere for you to go, we're like sardines as it is!". I was polite to him and asked him to move, he laughed and ignored me. I informed him that some people he forced out of the way had been queueing for hours and he just patronised, laughed at and belittled me. I kept my temper, said a few choice words and decided to move as I didn't want to be thrown out for punching the twat in the face. We moved back and found some other friends. Again, there was little space but enough for me and Dave to stand with them. Suddenly my friend was being barged into the people stood next to him by some woman with a GA wristband and a bad attitude who wanted to stand where he was. Needless to say he sorted the situation, but it simply shouldn't have happened.

We're considering some seated shows for the next tour because of Manchester. I'd love a seperate area for 10C.
    Rotterdam was the best exable..all great..our own space,no pushing no pro,,we was in our front rows only 10c,we have a special entry to go to the toilet-to merch-to beers..+plus all the friends was together... ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    pdalowsky wrote:

Sure, per Ed, the Seattle shows had a dead crowd, but I thought the shows were great.
    edited November 2009
    Was very surprised at how quiet and sedated the crowd was. I expected a lot more enthusiasm .

this above quote is from someone at last night's show it's only one person but still ...peoples perceptions are so random from one to another ..
    Post edited by josevolution on
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    Was very surprised at how quiet and sedated the crowd was. I expected a lot more enthusiasm .

this above quote is from someone at last night's show it's only one person but still ...peoples perceptions are so random form one to another ..

As much as I love my homeland... crowds in Australia are nowhere near the crowds over here (or Europe, for that matter, judging from what I've heard, although I've never experienced PJ in Europe).
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
    Tone wrote:

this above quote is from someone at last night's show it's only one person but still ...peoples perceptions are so random form one to another ..

As much as I love my homeland... crowds in Australia are nowhere near the crowds over here (or Europe, for that matter, judging from what I've heard, although I've never experienced PJ in Europe).

Ok i hope to some day see them in Europe allready saw them in South America ... :)
    Tone wrote:

Ok i hope to some day see them in Europe allready saw them in South America ... :)

I hope to see them in both South America AND Europe :D
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
    get to an Italian show ;)
    Would love to! Dimitris and I have also decided they're going to play Santorini ;)

Sure, per Ed, the Seattle shows had a dead crowd, but I thought the shows were great.

the reviews on that one were mixed. i'm glad you had a good time, but plenty of people seemed to think they were good but nothing special.
    "the reviews on that one were mixed. i'm glad you had a good time, but plenty of people seemed to think they were good but nothing special."

I can understand some of the reviews due to them playing heavily on the new album and some not being all too familiar with Backspacer yet. I think some didn't know what to expect so it was kind of hard to participate as we were taking it all in. It was as if Seattle were the Guinea Pigs for the new material. By the time they hit other towns fans were able to give the cd/vinyl some more spins and form their opinions on the new songs.

But then again I could be easy to please! If I could just find a woman like that... ;)
  • Tone wrote:
    Would love to! Dimitris and I have also decided they're going to play Santorini ;)
    yep 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    "the reviews on that one were mixed. i'm glad you had a good time, but plenty of people seemed to think they were good but nothing special."

I can understand some of the reviews due to them playing heavily on the new album and some not being all too familiar with Backspacer yet. I think some didn't know what to expect so it was kind of hard to participate as we were taking it all in. It was as if Seattle were the Guinea Pigs for the new material. By the time they hit other towns fans were able to give the cd/vinyl some more spins and form their opinions on the new songs.

But then again I could be easy to please! If I could just find a woman like that... ;)
    :lol: i wish you all the luck in the world....

men = simple

women = complicated.

men + women = difficult science
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    I saw 3 shows this summer. Calgary and both of the Seattle shows. Calgary had the most energy, actually it had alot of energy.

The thing of GA is you end up with alot more people in front of the stage, and usually the most energetic ones, because it takes some serious stamina to be at the front.

When I was younger I was a bigger fan of GA, as I didn't mind squishing my way to the front, the odds of ever being that close with a seated ticket were rare. Now in my 30's I seem to prefer to stand back about 15 ft or so just to be out the more dense part of the pit :)

Alot of people want to be at the front, so at a GA show you get that constant struggle of that many people wanting to be at the front, but there only being so much space. Not much you can do about that really.

But the calgary show did remind me how much energy the band gets from a giant GA audience. I think the last GA outdoor show i'd seen for PJ before that was seattle II '98, and that was quite the clusterf**k too :)
  • JelmotJelmot Posts: 19
    Just interested to hear how the GA areas went at the remaining Aus shows???
  • Jelmot wrote:

Perth - fight broke out
    Adelaide - minor fight in front of me
    Melbourne - bit of trouble, almost a fight
    Sydney - well behaved fun crowd
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Jelmot wrote:

Perth - fight broke out
    Adelaide - minor fight in front of me
    Melbourne - bit of trouble, almost a fight
    Sydney - well behaved fun crowd

i was about to start a fight on friday night with someone who had pushed through a bunch of people a finally got to me. turned arround and the guy ran off.
    Rod Laver Arena - Feb 18, 2003
    Rod Laver Arena - Nov 13, 2006
    Adelaide Oval - Nov 17, 2009
    Etihad Stadium - Nov 20, 2009
    BDO Melbourne - Jan 24, 2014
    New York - May 02 - 2016