GA Aggression?

Comments

• Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    pdalowsky wrote:

Rock shows are no different, the energy from GA shows feeds to the band, and the band thrive off it, have you heard the reports of how lame the crowds were in the states recently as compared to the Euro shows? There is no other reason than the GA status (and of course we are PJ starved mostly, and the Americans are given too mucyh PJ ;) ), this is emphasised by the two DVds touring band and Imagine in Cornice

So in a nutshell the actions of a few morons should not stop the overwhelming enjoyment of the majority.

Seating kills rock shows, for eg try sitting at a U2 show....you'll be tempted to read a book at the same time

So if the band feeds off the the energy of the crowd, why doesn't the band insist on GA seating all the time? It's not like the fans have any say in the set up of a concert. Just because there are seats at the show, it doesn't mean we are using them for anything other then a place holder.

I agree with your point on the enthusiasm shown at Euro shows, we are spoiled here in the States, and I'm not complaining one bit... But I will put the Philly shows up against any of the Euro shows. I think the atmosphere was really charged since they were the only shows on the entire East Coast where PJ has a very dense fanbase.

I agree with your observation about the corporate day at sporting events, it sucked the life out of the crowd for the World Series in Yankee Stadium. The real fans are pushed further from the field due to the crazy ticket prices.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    demetrios wrote:
    GA is for rock concert..so easy...u dont have to surf ,kick anyone,,or be stupid..

I'm sorry, but you are wrong there. GA is not just for rock concerts. Many (including I) get a better ROCK experience with reserved seats.

A total subjective argument D, and shows the divide generally between the US and Europe.

Rock shows greatly benefit over here from their GS status IMO

and bands definitely take great energy from a crowd, be in seated or GA. Thats a given.
  • there are all good..all we need is dates and the boys on stage..and ill have seat in the ground..standing!!!! 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    pdalowsky wrote:

Rock shows are no different, the energy from GA shows feeds to the band, and the band thrive off it, have you heard the reports of how lame the crowds were in the states recently as compared to the Euro shows? There is no other reason than the GA status (and of course we are PJ starved mostly, and the Americans are given too mucyh PJ ;) ), this is emphasised by the two DVds touring band and Imagine in Cornice

So in a nutshell the actions of a few morons should not stop the overwhelming enjoyment of the majority.

Seating kills rock shows, for eg try sitting at a U2 show....you'll be tempted to read a book at the same time

So if the band feeds off the the energy of the crowd, why doesn't the band insist on GA seating all the time? It's not like the fans have any say in the set up of a concert. Just because there are seats at the show, it doesn't mean we are using them for anything other then a place holder.

I agree with your point on the enthusiasm shown at Euro shows, we are spoiled here in the States, and I'm not complaining one bit... But I will put the Philly shows up against any of the Euro shows. I think the atmosphere was really charged since they were the only shows on the entire East Coast where PJ has a very dense fanbase.

I agree with your observation about the corporate day at sporting events, it sucked the life out of the crowd for the World Series in Yankee Stadium. The real fans are pushed further from the field due to the crazy ticket prices.

My understanding was that in the states you just dont tend to have GA at the arenas.....If im honest I was maybe being ignorant as to that belief, as over here every arena rock show is GA, If its optional the band always go for GA, maybe because you can get more people in.

Obviously I wasnt at the philly shows (which sounded awesome by the way), but my understanding from folk who went to both was that they are very different experiences. The crowd being far more enthusiastic in the Euro venues....i can only draw my opinions on this from the live at the garden DVD, touring bands dvd - and various other fan dvds, compared to the Italian one.....there is a gulf there.....and its a big one.

Philly aside, i think thats kinda the norm. At times that touring band dvd shows the crowd totally and utterly flat.

do you really think the band doesnt feed off the crowd? Like a footballer wouldnt raise his game to some strong support/
    pdalowsky wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

My understanding was that in the states you just dont tend to have GA at the arenas.....If im honest I was maybe being ignorant as to that belief, as over here every arena rock show is GA, If its optional the band always go for GA, maybe because you can get more people in.

Obviously I wasnt at the philly shows (which sounded awesome by the way), but my understanding from folk who went to both was that they are very different experiences. The crowd being far more enthusiastic in the Euro venues....i can only draw my opinions on this from the live at the garden DVD, touring bands dvd - and various other fan dvds, compared to the Italian one.....there is a gulf there.....and its a big one.

Philly aside, i think thats kinda the norm. At times that touring band dvd shows the crowd totally and utterly flat.

do you really think the band doesnt feed off the crowd? Like a footballer wouldnt raise his game to some strong support/

I agree the band does feed off of the crowd. But I believe the frenzy of a Euro crowd is more based on the frequency that the band plays Europe vs the States. On a normal tour I can catch 5 or so shows within 200 miles, so those of us on the East Coast have more opportunities to see a show and more casual fans have an opportunity to catch a show. But that is just my theory.

On the other point regarding GA vs Reserved, there are shows that are GA in the states. Springsteen has a GA section set up in the front of the stage, I was at a Kings of Leon show at the Spectrum in Philly that had a GA set up. And U2 has a GA floor for their shows. I honestly believe it has more to do with the insurance costs unfortunately. And the band/promoter has to decide whether the cost is worth it.

This argument can go on and on... But the main point is that we all enjoy a great PJ show! And I have been fortunate to have been in attendance of some epic shows. :D
  • "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    I just have three words for the people who say reserved seating crowds are not into it ..

MSG
    PHILLY
    BOSTON

Come and check out a show at one of these states .... ;)

Yup! I haven't been fortunate enough to experience Boston, but I plan to next time... but wow MSG and Philly! Incredible! :D
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • JelmotJelmot Posts: 19
    at a GA show...how do you go the the bathroom? get a beer? where's your tailgate experience all day long? that's part of the show routine which you can't get with GA shows, you need to line up and stand around all day long, waiting, while with seated shows you can do as you please all day long, then walk to your seat minutes before the show....much better option IMO.

I couldn't agree more. There's also an element of safety - and the aggressive fans are kept in their sections. Good call on the bathroom / beer point too.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Jelmot wrote:
    Went to Perth show last night and as always, absolutely loved it from start to finish! A truly stellar performance from the boys! Yellow Ledbetter was easily the song of the night!

The only thing that really surprised me was the amount of aggression shown by a small minority of arseholes at the show. I've been to all six shows in Perth and I've never seen any angry or aggressive behaviour from members of the crowd.....until last night. For example, at least three scuffles / fights broke out within metres from where our group was standing (about 4 metres back, in front of Ed) and we also saw a couple of younger teenage girls who were roughed up. Most of this seemed to be caused by overly intoxicated non-10C members (no red wristbands), intent on violently pushing and walking over anyone to get to the front. Needless to say that we did our best to put out these spot fires so that everyone could enjoy the show.

Like I said - this was the first time I'd ever seen Pearl Jam fans(?) behave in this way at a show; its always felt like a PJ community where everyone looks out for and respects everyone else. So I'm wondering if other members have seen this sorta thing go on at at recent shows. Do you think it's a General Admission problem, (as the most recent previous shows in Perth at Subiaco Oval and Burswood were all seated up the front). I mean, its rare to see this kind of behaviour at a Pearl Jam show right?

Given that Ed had to pause and speak to the crowd about being rough and having to ask that we all look after one another, I wonder if the best thing to do for future tours would be to just have seating all the way to the front. Because while I and many of you and thousands of others enjoyed the show, it looked like quite a few others nights were ruined because of this aggression.

Thoughts?

and people wonder why pj doesn't do ga in America. this all the proof you need as to why they wont ever do GA at arena's.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Thats cool, I just a heard a few boots where Eddie is havign a dig at the crowds....and i did read a shit load of comments on here about the crowds.
    ed has a dig at every concert from the night before. it's all part of the "act". he took at dig at vancouver and vancouver was one of the loudest crowds i've heard.
    I just have three words for the people who say reserved seating crowds are not into it ..

MSG
    PHILLY
    BOSTON

Come and check out a show at one of these states .... ;)
    +1

this is the crowd we've been waiting for-ed at philly 3
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• ZiggyStar wrote:
    doompony wrote:
    attention munters of auckland nz.

do not fuck with me. or i will cry. for reals. and mr snuggleton will be kickin ass and takin names

no one is fucking with you munky.....I'll get this look into my eye
    > :| <
    and fucking KILL THEM!! :x
    Oh fuck!? Not thelook!? Don't fuck with us in Auckland or you'll get it....
    New Zealand,95 Auckland 1 & 2, 98 Auckland & Wellington,
    Canada, Vancouver 2000
    Auckland & Christchurch 2009
    Melbourne 1&2 EV Solo 2011
  • cully10 wrote:
    i was right next to the fight that broke out on Stones side of the GA and it was caused by some younger fans hopped up on something, they were hasling a older guy around 35ish and then started flying in with the punches, the thing is this older guy was built like a brick crapper i certainly wouldnt have messed with him. sadly he got ejected for simply defending himself. i agree PJ fans have always been respectful i feel mainly because the majority of us are seasoned veterans but it seems a younger audience is ruining it for the rest. i enjoy GA standing because its a great atmosphere but not when things start like last night.

This concert was the first time I was so close to the front and it was somewhat ruined by arrogant idiots who felt it was their right to intimidate and bully everyone around them. The young kids throwing punches had been drinking spirits straight from the bottle (the small hip flask style glass bottles), burning everyone with their ciggies as they jumped around. The older guy that they were fighting with was worse. Im 6'3 and nearly 100kg and he just barrelled straight thru me. My wife saw him smack his girlfriend around. I think they got what they deserved. GA is always gunna get squeezy, everyone wants to see whats going on and sometimes tempers do flare up. Props to the security for removing these fools from the crowd quickly and without further violence!

It was an awesome night, my ears are still ringing and I would do it again :D:D:D:D

It would be nice if the 10C members had an exclusive zone, even if it was just a small section front and center. That way the GA folk who seem content on causing grief stay away from the truely awesome fans PJ have and PJ can easily acknowledge the 10C fans.
  • I just have three words for the people who say reserved seating crowds are not into it ..
    MSG
    PHILLY
    BOSTON

the east coast is where the rawk is

the west coast doesn't even come close! HA!!! LMFAO

note to all PJ fans...if u want to see a real PJ show hit the NORTHEAST. cause that shit is for real.
  • Is it out of the question for an exclusive 10C general admission section?
    I saw System of a Down the last time they played Festival Hall and the general Admission was split down the middle of the stage. So much of a difference when all of the idiots are on the other side.
    Back to the crowd feeding energy to the band check out la night 2 right after alive - vedders saying exactly that. Is it an act? Who knows but it sure makes sense to me

taking a piss? Really you can't avoid the bathroom for a few hours? Even if not you have to ask yourself would you rather have an hour up close with the band queuing a while to get that chance and then see the rest of the show from a little further back or watch it all from the back of the floor in your seat ? With ga you have the option without being on a whim and a prayer for the lottery.

And never forget there are a fair amount of wankers at seated shows too by all accounts!!
  • JelmotJelmot Posts: 19
    Matty05 wrote:
    cully10 wrote:
    i was right next to the fight that broke out on Stones side of the GA and it was caused by some younger fans hopped up on something, they were hasling a older guy around 35ish and then started flying in with the punches, the thing is this older guy was built like a brick crapper i certainly wouldnt have messed with him. sadly he got ejected for simply defending himself. i agree PJ fans have always been respectful i feel mainly because the majority of us are seasoned veterans but it seems a younger audience is ruining it for the rest. i enjoy GA standing because its a great atmosphere but not when things start like last night.

This concert was the first time I was so close to the front and it was somewhat ruined by arrogant idiots who felt it was their right to intimidate and bully everyone around them. The young kids throwing punches had been drinking spirits straight from the bottle (the small hip flask style glass bottles), burning everyone with their ciggies as they jumped around. The older guy that they were fighting with was worse. Im 6'3 and nearly 100kg and he just barrelled straight thru me. My wife saw him smack his girlfriend around. I think they got what they deserved. GA is always gunna get squeezy, everyone wants to see whats going on and sometimes tempers do flare up. Props to the security for removing these fools from the crowd quickly and without further violence!

It was an awesome night, my ears are still ringing and I would do it again :D:D:D:D

It would be nice if the 10C members had an exclusive zone, even if it was just a small section front and center. That way the GA folk who seem content on causing grief stay away from the truely awesome fans PJ have and PJ can easily acknowledge the 10C fans.

Couldn't agree more with that last paragraph. Surely if they're gonna opt for GA, then the 10C Members, the ones who pay their membership fees, go through thick and thin to get tickets and arrange to get to shows, turn up early and wait for hours to keep their spots, surely some kind of safer arrangement could be made. But then again, what about the non-10C fans. Surely they deserve a Pearl Jam show without either being violated or having to see violence and idiocy too?

After Perth, I'll be surprised if they do GA again. By the time the next tour rolls around, Perth will have a new indoor venue next to the old PEC and perhaps (fingers crossed) a newer and more capable sporting arena.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    my excitement over my first pj tour as a 10c member outweighed my aversion to big GA crowds. im trying not to think about it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Back to the crowd feeding energy to the band check out la night 2 right after alive - vedders saying exactly that. Is it an act? Who knows but it sure makes sense to me

taking a piss? Really you can't avoid the bathroom for a few hours? Even if not you have to ask yourself would you rather have an hour up close with the band queuing a while to get that chance and then see the rest of the show from a little further back or watch it all from the back of the floor in your seat ? With ga you have the option without being on a whim and a prayer for the lottery.

And never forget there are a fair amount of wankers at seated shows too by all accounts!!

Okay, let's say your statement is true for example's sake. Can you give an example where the band gave a sub-par show due to lack of crowd energy?

If a band can't perform to their fullest due to a less then enthusiastic crowd they should hang'em up. People are paying good hard earned money to see them play and they deserve the best from the band every time. I have yet to witness a sub-par performance by Pearl Jam, and I was at Seattle 1 & 2.

And as far as comments by Ed regarding the previous audience, it happens show to show. It's his way of trying to make the current audience feel special, it's show biz.
  • pdalowsky wrote:

Okay, let's say your statement is true for example's sake. Can you give an example where the band gave a sub-par show due to lack of crowd energy?

If a band can't perform to their fullest due to a less then enthusiastic crowd they should hang'em up. People are paying good hard earned money to see them play and they deserve the best from the band every time. I have yet to witness a sub-par performance by Pearl Jam, and I was at Seattle 1 & 2.

And as far as comments by Ed regarding the previous audience, it happens show to show. It's his way of trying to make the current audience feel special, it's show biz.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br0oiW2wQ1c
    Pearl jam as far as I have seen have never put on a sub par performance and i dont think at any time anyone suggested they do, but they sure do feed off the energy a crowd gives off.

They are professionals but its not hard to appreciate that when a crowd are really up for it the band will undoubtedly raise its game even beyond their exceptionally high standards.
    pdalowsky wrote:

I really cannot see how the comment Ed made at LA2 re the energy right at the end was anything to do with show biz, maybe the comments earlier on were made to keep the band fired up and I understand what you are saying there, but if you listen to what he says just before ledbetter i think you'll probably see it differently
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    Yet again two assholes showed up at the show last night and ED did mention them so why is it that this keeps happening go read the fan views ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Yet again two assholes showed up at the show last night and ED did mention them so why is it that this keeps happening go read the fan views ....
    jose where are u from man?where pj never gonna play?sound like Greece to me..dont see them coming here any soon..
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    last night
    just another example of why GA is no fun with a large crowd
    Yet again two assholes showed up at the show last night and ED did mention them so why is it that this keeps happening go read the fan views ....
    jose where are u from man?where pj never gonna play?sound like Greece to me..dont see them coming here any soon..

:lol::lol::lol: I live on Long Island was born in Chile ,but i believe they will never play here on Long Island again due to the last show here in 03 beeing booed that night didn't end well for the band ... :oops:
    pdalowsky wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

I really cannot see how the comment Ed made at LA2 re the energy right at the end was anything to do with show biz, maybe the comments earlier on were made to keep the band fired up and I understand what you are saying there, but if you listen to what he says just before ledbetter i think you'll probably see it differently

I will have to take a listen to it, haven't gotten the LA2 boot.
    Get_Right wrote:
    last night

I have to agree like you said if it's a small crowd even let's say 7k it's doable anything larger and you get too many jerks that will ruin it for at least some of the crowd ..
  • Yet again two assholes showed up at the show last night and ED did mention them so why is it that this keeps happening go read the fan views ....

:lol::lol::lol: I live on Long Island was born in Chile ,but i believe they will never play here on Long Island again due to the last show here in 03 beeing booed that night didn't end well for the band ... :oops:
    chile??awesome..i wanna see pj there..hope they play as rumors say on march..+BUENOS AIRES,,,,EPIC!!!
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    GA sucks. Unfortunately there are always knuckleheads who will push their way to the front at last minute. Not fair to the people who are already there and dont want to stoop to the knuckleheads level to do battle with them.

Seats at a PJ show are not meant to be sat in, but the mark your territory so the knuckleheads cant steal your spot.
    Get_Right wrote:
    last night

I have to agree like you said if it's a small crowd even let's say 7k it's doable anything larger and you get too many jerks that will ruin it for at least some of the crowd ..

maybe you are right, all I can say is we didnt see any of this kind of behaviour over here thankfully.....

slightly off topic though, i was amused once by a lady at an REM show who gave someone a real telling off because 'this is my spot'. maybe she was right but she didnt understand the nature of a GA show at all