GA Aggression?

JelmotJelmot Posts: 19
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Went to Perth show last night and as always, absolutely loved it from start to finish! A truly stellar performance from the boys! Yellow Ledbetter was easily the song of the night!

The only thing that really surprised me was the amount of aggression shown by a small minority of arseholes at the show. I've been to all six shows in Perth and I've never seen any angry or aggressive behaviour from members of the crowd.....until last night. For example, at least three scuffles / fights broke out within metres from where our group was standing (about 4 metres back, in front of Ed) and we also saw a couple of younger teenage girls who were roughed up. Most of this seemed to be caused by overly intoxicated non-10C members (no red wristbands), intent on violently pushing and walking over anyone to get to the front. Needless to say that we did our best to put out these spot fires so that everyone could enjoy the show.

Like I said - this was the first time I'd ever seen Pearl Jam fans(?) behave in this way at a show; its always felt like a PJ community where everyone looks out for and respects everyone else. So I'm wondering if other members have seen this sorta thing go on at at recent shows. Do you think it's a General Admission problem, (as the most recent previous shows in Perth at Subiaco Oval and Burswood were all seated up the front). I mean, its rare to see this kind of behaviour at a Pearl Jam show right?

Given that Ed had to pause and speak to the crowd about being rough and having to ask that we all look after one another, I wonder if the best thing to do for future tours would be to just have seating all the way to the front. Because while I and many of you and thousands of others enjoyed the show, it looked like quite a few others nights were ruined because of this aggression.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• We were on the other side of the walkway infront of Jeff and Mike (my stepson was the 12 year old Eddie spoke to and gave him his pick) and the 10c people around us were beautiful, respectful and gracious. But we could see a bit of crap happening on the other side of the centre walkway. Bummer.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Hmmmm....so I better be prepared to throw a few punches.....

*cracks knuckles*
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    attention munters of auckland nz.

do not fuck with me. or i will cry. for reals. and mr snuggleton will be kickin ass and takin names
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

*cracks knuckles*

there may have to be a call to arms! glad I am seated in adeliade. hopefully this wont happen again.
    Rod Laver Arena - Feb 18, 2003
    Rod Laver Arena - Nov 13, 2006
    Adelaide Oval - Nov 17, 2009
    Etihad Stadium - Nov 20, 2009
    BDO Melbourne - Jan 24, 2014
    New York - May 02 - 2016

Powered by Pearl Jam
    doompony wrote:

do not fuck with me. or i will cry. for reals. and mr snuggleton will be kickin ass and takin names

no one is fucking with you munky.....I'll get this look into my eye
    > :| <
    and fucking KILL THEM!! :x
  • JelmotJelmot Posts: 19
    We were on the other side of the walkway infront of Jeff and Mike (my stepson was the 12 year old Eddie spoke to and gave him his pick) and the 10c people around us were beautiful, respectful and gracious. But we could see a bit of crap happening on the other side of the centre walkway. Bummer.

Your stepson is the luckiest kid in the world! Great to hear all was fine where you guys were!

I just reaallly felt for some fans, particularly 10C members who went through everything to get tickets, get in early etc, who were pumped up bigtime for the show, but were violated in any way. Sorta took the shine off a bit.
  • I think it is a reflection on what we have become as a society in the last 3 years.
    Haven't you noticed all the news on violence in Melbourne and other cities in Australia in the last year or so?
    Wasn't like this last time PJ were here.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited November 2009
    I think it is a reflection on what we have become as a society in the last 3 years.
    Haven't you noticed all the news on violence in Melbourne and other cities in Australia in the last year or so?

I agree, but do you feel a seated floor instead of GA would help to make it so that society's violence could be avoided for the duration of the show?
    Post edited by Jelmot on
  • I remember some pretty shitty stuff in mosh pits in the early 90s. I remember at the 98 PEC shows protecting girls who were being fully groped. To me, the good people have just become so much better and show the dickheads for what they really are.
  • PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    Humans are the most intelligent things on this planet, but once you get enough to form a crowd they quickly turn into a single body of utter stupidity.
  • I remember some pretty shitty stuff in mosh pits in the early 90s. I remember at the 98 PEC shows protecting girls who were being fully groped. To me, the good people have just become so much better and show the dickheads for what they really are.

95 Ent Cent was by far the most full on...ripped shirts, lost shoes...was glad I wore my Doc Marten boots that night...back then crowdsurfing was full on..so you had people coming over the top from all sides...as well as the crowd surging from all round...
  • Plankton wrote:
    Humans are the most intelligent things on this planet, but once you get enough to form a crowd they quickly turn into a single body of utter stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. :cry:
  • JoelMartin wrote:
    I think it is a reflection on what we have become as a society in the last 3 years.

I agree, but do you feel a seated floor instead of GA would help to make it so that society's violence could be avoided for the duration of the show?

It would cut out the pushing and shoving but it's always the idiotic few that stuff it up for all.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

*cracks knuckles*
    BLARG FILTH SMASH!!

*cracks knuckles and neck starts lifting 100kg in each hand*

yep I'm ready to throw some motha fookers who push me and my peeps around in to the rear end stands
    Bitch Be Cool 8)
    BRISBANE 1998,2003,2006,2009!!!
    Christchurch 2009
    Oh I'm a lucky man to count those I love on two hands

come say hi on facebook http://www.facebook.com/sean.montgomery
  • i was right next to the fight that broke out on Stones side of the GA and it was caused by some younger fans hopped up on something, they were hasling a older guy around 35ish and then started flying in with the punches, the thing is this older guy was built like a brick crapper i certainly wouldnt have messed with him. sadly he got ejected for simply defending himself. i agree PJ fans have always been respectful i feel mainly because the majority of us are seasoned veterans but it seems a younger audience is ruining it for the rest. i enjoy GA standing because its a great atmosphere but not when things start like last night.
  • i have a solution give us 10C members our own section at the front and put the GA behind us, we show our ID and if we start anything we lose our membership or get banned.... easy!
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Just remember who YOU are.
    Pearl Jam, Mr Suggleton, Kenny Koala and 10C members don't do that shit.
    Dickheads will always be DICKHEADS.
    Don't let agro make you TENtative, NO WAY.
    Show them force in numbers.
    I didn't have many numbers around me, and yea I got pushed passed and shoved, but what I did have was being surrounded by people who were there for PJ.
    TIP...Rock out Hard, Dickheads see this as an inpassable route because they might accidently get head butted to EVENFLOW or have Eyes poked out by hand signals. F@*king Pussies.
    ZiggyStar wrote:

*cracks knuckles*
    BLARG FILTH SMASH!!

*cracks knuckles and neck starts lifting 100kg in each hand*

yep I'm ready to throw some motha fookers who push me and my peeps around in to the rear end stands

You could pick up two of me in each arm!!

Look after us, Filthy!!
  • I work for bands and clubs in Melbourne, and go to alot of gigs, alot of the time I watch the crowd and it's the same thing time after time, a bunch of guys on a mission to get right to the front no matter what. In 2006 I was 2nd front row at Placebo and the night was just ruined by having to constantly defend myself and the girls around me from being pulled backwards and thrown to the ground by people wanting to be front row.. I've already spoken to a few 10C members who are going to Melbourne gig on friday night and if this happens we're all gonna look out for each other and make sure these dicks don't ruin our night..

I don't think it matters if any of us 10c members have never spoken before, or don't know each other, regardless of if your like me and never post, or you have 3k posts under your belt, we should ALL look out for each other at gigs, I really hope this doesn't happen in Melbourne
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    [quote="ashtrayheart"the night was just ruined by having to constantly defend myself and the girls around me from being pulled backwards and thrown to the ground by people wanting to be front row.[/quote]

That, I believe, is total bullshit. Aussie guys would not let that happen twice.
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    JoelMartin wrote:

Of course, everyone is in an assigned seat instead of people battling for "seats" that arent assigned. Assholes will always be assholes, but they cant take someones seat away from them like they can in GA.
  • doompony wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    doompony wrote:

no one is fucking with you munky.....I'll get this look into my eye
    > :| <
    and fucking KILL THEM!! :x
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:8-)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • fight for your seat!!!!!!!!!1this is a rock concert people.. :D
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    This is why I don't like GA... I can't handle the aggression cause as much as there are great people around, there are always a large number of asshats that push, shove, elbow, kick and do just about anything to get to the front. I can't imagine these GA crowds can be as insane as they were in Australia in '95, though... it was beyond intense at Eastern Creek and Canberra. Weren't chairs ripped off the floor in Melbourne and people jumping over the walls from the elevated areas to get to the floor? Not to mention the fence coming down at the Music Bowl. My worst GA experience was RHCP at the Hordern in '92, I didn't even make it through the 2nd support act before needing to be pulled out by security... I was the last girl left on the rail but I just couldn't do it... one too many people stage-diving on my head and being body slammed into the rail. No thanks.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Tone wrote:
    This is why I don't like GA... I can't handle the aggression cause as much as there are great people around, there are always a large number of asshats that push, shove, elbow, kick and do just about anything to get to the front. I can't imagine these GA crowds can be as insane as they were in Australia in '95, though... it was beyond intense at Eastern Creek and Canberra. Weren't chairs ripped off the floor in Melbourne and people jumping over the walls from the elevated areas to get to the floor? Not to mention the fence coming down at the Music Bowl. My worst GA experience was RHCP at the Hordern in '92, I didn't even make it through the 2nd support act before needing to be pulled out by security... I was the last girl left on the rail but I just couldn't do it... one too many people stage-diving on my head and being body slammed into the rail. No thanks.
    understand your though..but 92 is away from 2009 GA..people are more calm..
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206

Indeed ;) I'm very glad to hear it... shame there are some dipshits out there that still want to ruin it. All this been said, I would do GA in Europe in a heartbeat and I had fun at Lolla and the crowd at SF Outside Lands was fantastic, there was no aggression at all, which was really nice... everyone was stoned, lol.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Tone wrote:

Indeed ;) I'm very glad to hear it... shame there are some dipshits out there that still want to ruin it. All this been said, I would do GA in Europe in a heartbeat and I had fun at Lolla and the crowd at SF Outside Lands was fantastic, there was no aggression at all, which was really nice... everyone was stoned, lol.
    :lol: something like that,,ok Berlin was very dangerous this year btw..
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    That totally sucks that asshats like this will ruin someone's night these shows have no place for aggression at all ,you can have you're GA all you wan't i'm glad we have all seats at the venues here USA ,EVERYONE can enjoy the shows for what it is a musical experience not a shoving match dimmwits ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    That totally sucks that asshats like this will ruin someone's night these shows have no place for aggression at all ,you can have you're GA all you wan't i'm glad we have all seats at the venues here USA ,EVERYONE can enjoy the shows for what it is a musical experience not a shoving match dimmwits ......

I didn't know that all the U.S shows were seated. If this is the case, I can't see why management decided to do General Admission for the current Australian tour.

If anyone at PJ HQ reads this - For the next Australian tour, please revert back to seated floor plans.