Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I was looking at the Debut Carbon Esprit DC or the 1Xpression Carbon Classic. Leaning towards the Esprit, as the extras seem the most useful right now and it frees up some money for a better phono, speakers or other accessories.

I'm looking at the Azur 651p for the phono. Not set on it, but it's the one that's jumped out at me in reviews and such.

Far as cables....I just want something not from the bottom of the barrel.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    DewieCox said:

I was looking at the Debut Carbon Esprit DC or the 1Xpression Carbon Classic. Leaning towards the Esprit, as the extras seem the most useful right now and it frees up some money for a better phono, speakers or other accessories.

I'm looking at the Azur 651p for the phono. Not set on it, but it's the one that's jumped out at me in reviews and such.

Far as cables....I just want something not from the bottom of the barrel.

My understanding of the 651 is that it only adds the capability to handle MC & MM, whereas the 551 is MM. If those TT are both MM, I don't think there's a sonic difference. You should research a little before you spend the extra hundred.
    Regarding cables, I just picked up a bunch of monoprice cables. They are nice, thick, sound fine to me. They are only a few bucks a piece so I replaced a bunch of RCA around the house. If you aren't a hard core cable snob (don't mean that offensively), Monoprice is the way to go.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    RKCNDY said:

looks pretty
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    It is...I hate to throw it on the turntable. Mine is an old rickety one...kinda like forcing Sophia Vagara wear a burlap sack on the red carpet.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    RKCNDY said:

Very Nice! Hopefully I will get one someday.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    mrussel1 said:

My understanding of the 651 is that it only adds the capability to handle MC & MM, whereas the 551 is MM. If those TT are both MM, I don't think there's a sonic difference. You should research a little before you spend the extra hundred.
    Regarding cables, I just picked up a bunch of monoprice cables. They are nice, thick, sound fine to me. They are only a few bucks a piece so I replaced a bunch of RCA around the house. If you aren't a hard core cable snob (don't mean that offensively), Monoprice is the way to go.

Awesome and thanks!!

What kind of cable ends should I be looking for...looks like the red white stereo cables and a ground from turntable to phono pre. Then same thing connecting the preamp with receiver?

What about receiver to speakers? Just strip the wire back and put that in the receptacles? I'd like something a little more secure.

On the phono pre's...what about something like this?

http://www.haglabs.com/collections/phono-preamps/products/cornet3

Only thing is, reviews are hard to come by.

No offense taken on the cable comment....I know quite a bit about that rabbit hole. I've spent hours on end reading and listening to different guitar cable, only to end up with Monster and Mogami stuff from Guitar Center. My cables just need to be quiet and durable. I can make up the rest in a different part of the chain
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    DewieCox said:

mrussel1 said:

Awesome and thanks!!

What kind of cable ends should I be looking for...looks like the red white stereo cables and a ground from turntable to phono pre. Then same thing connecting the preamp with receiver?

What about receiver to speakers? Just strip the wire back and put that in the receptacles? I'd like something a little more secure.
    The TT from Pro-ject should come with the RCA and ground. That will attach to your pre-amp and ground there. Then, yes, you run RCA to your pre/pro, AVR, amp or whatever your amplifier process is. If it's a long run and your amp supports XLR, then you should consider RCA>XLR cables, but for short runs, definitely not necessary.

For the speaker run, I agree. I hate loose strand connection. If your speakers and amp support banana plugs, you definitely want to buy those. So get oxygen free wire, 12-14 gauge (12 for long runs), and buy banana plugs for the ends. They are easy to put together, more secure and look much better. Important... Banana plugs must be shielded. You have to finish the job by using heat shrink around the gold pieces. It's easy, cut a piece, slide it in, and then take a lighter to it. It tightens and conforms. If you don't, touching two gold sides together could short your amp. If your amp and/or speakers don't accept banana plugs, you can always solder the ends. Not as pretty, but it works and creates clean connection. If you get the heat shrink, I'd suggest a black and red (or white) roll so you can tell the differences between +/-.

Here are the products
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5841
    http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-109436-Copper-Speaker-Banana/dp/B0097JLQVC/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1455293489&sr=1-4&keywords=banana+plugs
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=2869&seq=1&format=2
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,056
    ^^^^^^^^ the monoprice stuff works great!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,422
    Brandi Carlile S/T - reissue

Brandi Carlile - Give Up The Ghost - reissue
  • Options
    BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    Joseph Arthur - Days Of Surrender (green vinyl)
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    New:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2010 Reissue.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Original US copy of Ten

photo pearljamten_zpsz7jz5sdr.jpg
  • Options

Original US copy of Ten

photo pearljamten_zpsz7jz5sdr.jpg

Nice!
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,364
    Joseph Arthur - Days of Surrender

Arrived in Sydney this morning, 4 days after they said shipping would start! That's how you ship vinyl 10C :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,365
    Joseph Arthur - Days Of Surrender
    Stereo Embers - Wrong Way/Ways Of The World 7"
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    New:
    2015 Limited to 500 copies.
  • Options
    Second-hand:

Cypress Hill ‎- Black Sunday.
    2013 Reissue.
  • Options
    Settled on a turntable and phono pre...Going with a Rega RP3 and Parasound Qphono.

Also ordered a bunch of accessories and records, with a premium on sound quality...

Kind of Blue Mono
    A Love Supreme
    Are You Experienced
    Astral Weeks

Also snagged a couple Rich Robinson reissues...Paper and Llama Blues

Can't wait to get the new setup rolling.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Settled on a turntable and phono pre...Going with a Rega RP3 and Parasound Qphono.

Also ordered a bunch of accessories and records, with a premium on sound quality...

Kind of Blue Mono
    A Love Supreme
    Are You Experienced
    Astral Weeks

Also snagged a couple Rich Robinson reissues...Paper and Llama Blues

Can't wait to get the new setup rolling.

Zphono? I haven't seen a Qphono. I'd like to if you have a link. i didn't see anything. Parasound makes nice equipment.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,800
    The Fragile-NIN -completes my set of originals
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,515
    The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
    Foo Fighters - Saint Cecelia
  • Options
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/14948/Parasound-Zphono-Phono_Pre_Amps

So many in the sub-$500 range and the handful of front runners all have similar reviews.

Haven't ordered the phono yet, so if anybody has more input,I'm all ears. I'm going with an Ortofon 2m blue cartridge.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    David Bowie's Blackstar and The White Stripes' Under Great White Northen Lights
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,800
    edited February 2016
    DewieCox said:

So many in the sub-$500 range and the handful of front runners all have similar reviews.

Haven't ordered the phono yet, so if anybody has more input,I'm all ears. I'm going with an Ortofon 2m blue cartridge.

Blue is killer. I'm running the Black.Crazy good cartridge!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,033
    Got RHCP hits today. Its flat and quite on gray vinyl. Pressed at Pallas US. Cut by Chris Bellman. Unfortunately Chris had to work with a crappy master.

• Options

Got RHCP hits today. Its flat and quite on gray vinyl. Pressed at Pallas US. Cut by Chris Bellman. Unfortunately Chris had to work with a crappy master.

Are you saying it's just ok?

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    RobbyD462 said:

DewieCox said:

Blue is killer. I'm running the Black.Crazy good cartridge!
    Gah! I want that. I've still got loser-red. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Marty Robbins’ Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs (Newbury Comics Exclusive)
    Remastered by Vic Anesini at Sony’s Battery Studios and the lacquer was cut by Kevin Gray.
  • Options
    photo image_zpsoucxg1b6.jpeg