Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    goldrush said:

reesdog said:

Maybe this should be a support group for vinyl addicts?

It is already, we support each other by saying... "Great record there!" Etc.. :)
    So you're basically saying that we're all enablers then?

My name is ____ and I have a vinyl problem! :)
    Yep, enable me, I don't give a fuck.. :)

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

reesdog said:

DewieCox said:

I caved on The Beatles In Mono box and bought a slightly used copy, and thought "what the hell?" better make it the whole set and added Yellow Submarine, Abbey Rd and Let It Be.

Also got the Black Crowes reissues and The Band's Music From Big Pink MoFi pressing.

Next on the list is a tt upgrade.

Nice, what turntable are you thinking on?
    I'm thinking a Pro-next Debut Carbon, but I'm open to suggestions and pointers.

Also....coupon code Jan1650 for 25% at ccmusic....tons of good vinyl and music DVDs/blurays
    Pro-ject? Not bad at all, but I'd recommend Rega, better tone-arms for sure..
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Yeah, I meant Pro-ject....I've been reading a lot of reviews and it seems those 2 are pretty close and the Rega is a bit more expensive.

Also found the U-turn Orbit. I remember their Kickstarter campaign from awhile back. Now it looks like you can get a slightly better table than the Pro-ject and Rega, but who knows how the product support will be in a year or 2, let alone 5-10 years. How hard would it be to source parts if they go out of business?

What's everybody recommend for a phone pre? Tube or solid state? Anybody built one? I bet there can be a lot of bang for the buck going that route.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    DewieCox said:

Yeah, I meant Pro-ject....I've been reading a lot of reviews and it seems those 2 are pretty close and the Rega is a bit more expensive.

Also found the U-turn Orbit. I remember their Kickstarter campaign from awhile back. Now it looks like you can get a slightly better table than the Pro-ject and Rega, but who knows how the product support will be in a year or 2, let alone 5-10 years. How hard would it be to source parts if they go out of business?

What's everybody recommend for a phone pre? Tube or solid state? Anybody built one? I bet there can be a lot of bang for the buck going that route.

Tube...definitely

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

DewieCox said:

Tube...definitely
    If u have the money go Tube.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Cool...I figured that would be the case.

Not sure I have the dough for that, right now. Would you guys go with a tt that has a built in switchable pre or find a cheaper standalone?
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Cool...I figured that would be the case.

Not sure I have the dough for that, right now. Would you guys go with a tt that has a built in switchable pre or find a cheaper standalone?

If you don't have the $ for a preamp right now, go with a switchable and you can always turn it off when you upgrade to the tube preamp.
    BUT
    if your receiver/amp already has a phono input, then you don't have to worry about the switchable on-board preamp.- save the cash and get a model without it.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    edited January 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

reesdog said:

Well that sucks, you cancelled it?! Fuck NY resolutions I say, no one ever sticks to them..

Yeah, but just put in my first bid for that Eno album on ebay..... =)
    OOH! Which Eno?
    Here Come The Warm Jets. The best one! (IMO) =)
    And I just won the auction!!!! image
    An EX+/EX+ 1st UK pressing!! =) ..... okay, it cost me $65 CAD (about $45 USD I think) - fuck that Canadian dollar right now. Ugh, it's tanking so bad; just awful for us poor Canucks. :frowning: But I am SO excited about this album!! And it was one of those fun auctions too, with a bunch of people strategically bidding at the end, lol. Those auctions get my heart racing, lol. Please, someone tell me they relate to that. :blush:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

reesdog said:

Well that sucks, you cancelled it?! Fuck NY resolutions I say, no one ever sticks to them..

OOH! Which Eno?
    An EX+/EX+ 1st UK pressing!! =) ..... okay, it cost me $65 CAD (about $45 USD I think) - fuck that Canadian dollar right now. Ugh, it's tanking so bad; just awful for us poor Canucks. :frowning: But I am SO excited about this album!! And it was one of those fun auctions too, with a bunch of people strategically bidding at the end, lol. Those auctions get my heart racing, lol. Please, someone tell me they relate to that. :blush:
    I used to do that, but I lost too much.
    now I just snipe the one's that I REALLY want.
    that is how I got my pre-amp at a good price.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Second-hand:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    From 1981.
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    Finally purchased a copy of The Tea Party's Splendor Solis on vinyl. One of my all time fav albums.

Was hoping for a re-issue some day, but not so sure it's coming and rarely ever see them for sale...
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    scurtis said:

Finally purchased a copy of The Tea Party's Splendor Solis on vinyl. One of my all time fav albums.

Was hoping for a re-issue some day, but not so sure it's coming and rarely ever see them for sale...

Awesome album! Sun Going Down is an especially great song.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,777
    scurtis said:

Great album!
    Pricey addition dare I ask....
    Hoping for reissue over here
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    Ryan Adams - 1989
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    RobbyD462 said:

scurtis said:

Great album!
    Yeah, me too. I figure it will come soon enough, now that they've reissued The Edges of Twilight.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Another green copy of 1989 Ryan Adams from Barnes and Noble - out of stock online and I believe will be very desirable in the near future
  • Options

Another green copy of 1989 Ryan Adams from Barnes and Noble - out of stock online and I believe will be very desirable in the near future

I doubt it. It may have sold out finally, but it took a while. There must be thousands of them out there.
  • Options
    RobbyD462 said:

scurtis said:

Great album!
    Yeah it was pricey for sure, I sold something from the collection to get it, couldn't justify it otherwise. Why I will likely never own Avacado, about the same price.

As for the reissue, I actually bought it cause they reissued Edges of Twilight first and not this one, and I read a FB post from the drummer saying he kept vinyl copies of Splendor Solis for his kids, tells me there are no plans right now to reissue - but if I were them I would, easy money I would think.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    No plans now, but eventually.... I'm not suggesting you should have waited for that btw. Sometimes you just NEED an album, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

No plans now, but eventually.... I'm not suggesting you should have waited for that btw. Sometimes you just NEED an album, lol.

haha yeah, that's how I felt.
  • Options
    Matthew Good Band
    Raygun EP
    Last of the Ghetto Astronauts
    Underdogs
    Beautiful Midnight

• Options
    Preordered the new RNDM album.
  • Options
    reesdog said:

Second-hand:
    From 1981.

Great pick up!!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Preordered the new RNDM album.

+1 thanks Soul your awesome! ;)

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

I don't think this will be nearly as valuable/desirable as you think it will be. I found several copies in stock in one of the stores. Unless, of course, you were planning on holding onto it for 20 years and then selling. *shrugs* Eh, what do I know?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Second-hand:

3x Vinyl compilation from 1993.

Strangely I ordered this online a couple of days before his passing, so glad I did, such a great collection of songs.

Here's the track listing...

A1 Space Oddity
    A2 Changes
    A3 Starman
    A4 Ziggy Stardust
    A5 Suffragette City
    A6 John, I'm Only Dancing
    A7 The Jean Genie
    B1 Drive In Saturday
    B2 Life On Mars
    B3 Sorrow
    B4 Rebel Rebel
    B5 Rock & Roll Suicide
    B6 Diamond Dogs
    C1 Knock On Wood
    C2 Young Americans
    C3 Fame
    C4 Golden Years
    C5 TVC 15
    C6 Sound & Vision
    D1 Heroes
    D2 Beauty & The Beast
    D3 Boys Keep Swinging
    D4 DJ
    D5 Alabama Song
    D6 Ashes To Ashes
    D7 Fashion
    E1 Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
    E2 Under Pressure (Queen And David Bowie)
    E3 Wild Is The Wind
    E4 Let's Dance
    E5 China Girl
    F1 Modern Love
    F2 Blue Jean
    F3 This Is Not America
    F4 Dancing In The Street
    F5 Absolute Beginners
    F6 Day In Day Out
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Did you get a new Turntable yet Dewie? This link might help you with your choice...
    http://www.whathifi.com/rega/rp3elys2/review
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

reesdog said:

OOH! Which Eno?
    Congratulations! :smiley: What a great album that one is! Right up there with "Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy)" and "Another Green World".

As for eBay auctions- I rarely do that anymore- too much for an aging cardio system! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    finally got a shipping confirmation from amazon on the two black crowes albums i ordered before xmas. cant wait- SYMM and SHaMC.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....