Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179

Went a bit mad today. The OK Computer is a Parlophone press. Got all these at Barnes and Noble. Radiohead are 2nd to PJ in my book. :)
    photo FullSizeRender_zpswyvtt6u4.jpg

Yep, thats the secret. Barnes and Noble is selling the good sounding release of OK Computer, not the crappy reissue that was last released that sounds like garbage.
    How do you tell the difference? I'm in the market for this album...
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,678
    Godspeed-Asunder…
    Brian Jonestown Massacre-Revelation
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited April 2015

This is a weird one, the jacket says, "Capitol Records." But when you open the record the records say,"Parlophone." The only reason I knew about this is from frequenting other audio forums. I have have both versions and trust me, the Parlophone version is much better. It's like hearing it for the first time again. :) OKC is one of my favorite records anyway.
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

This is a weird one, the jacket says, "Capitol Records." But when you open the record the records say,"Parlophone." The only reason I knew about this is from frequenting other audio forums. I have have both versions and trust me, the Parlophone version is much better. It's like hearing it for the first time again. :) OKC is one of my favorite records anyway.

Gonna have to go home and check my matrix.
    thanks for the heads up.
    I have the original release of The Bends on Parlophone and I can tell you.... it sounds WAY better than the Capital reissue.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    reesdog said:

boyo79 said:

Not new vinyl but a new setup. Speakers finally arrived this week so now the new setup is complete. Sounds great! :)

Looks great! Is that new turntable too, what kind is it and what kind of speakers?
    Thanks! A huge improvement in sound :)

Turntable is a Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1700 and the speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 9.0.
    mfc2006 said:

two words: fucking awesome!!!

enjoy!

I've been piecing it together bit by bit over the last few months and now it's all complete I'm delighted:)
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,800
    lolobugg said:

thanks for the heads up.
    I have the original release of The Bends on Parlophone and I can tell you.... it sounds WAY better than the Capital reissue.

Me too and I agree
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,758
    edited April 2015
    RobbyD462 said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for the heads up.

Me too and I agree

All of them? I have the US 2008 Capitol Records reissue, and it sounds great. Are you just talking about the most recent one?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I have the 08 Capitol version and I've never been blown away by it. Not at all bad sounding, but a different pressing my explain why OkC was one of the few album I've disagreed with prevailing wisdom on sound quality of records. I always see people listing it among other great sounding records and thought maybe they were listening with their eyes more than their ears.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,800
    PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for the heads up.

Me too and I agree

All of them? I have the US 2008 Capitol Records reissue, and it sounds great. Are you just talking about the most recent one?
    I have both Capitol and the parlophone

I usually always prefer the original to the remastered/reissues but both sound good.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    New:

Hookworms ‎– The Hum.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2014 - Mastered at Abbey Road Studios.

A great new-ish band from the UK, well worth checking out...
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

I have the 08 Capitol version and I've never been blown away by it. Not at all bad sounding, but a different pressing my explain why OkC was one of the few album I've disagreed with prevailing wisdom on sound quality of records. I always see people listing it among other great sounding records and thought maybe they were listening with their eyes more than their ears.

I can say that the Capital pressing of Kid A is amazing.
    it is one of my reference records along with pretty much any recent Wilco album when adjusting my stylus/system/etc.
    plus its a 10 inch which makes it even better for tweaking my different stylus combinations.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for the heads up.

Me too and I agree

I usually always prefer the original to the remastered/reissues but both sound good.
    Oh yes, originals over reissues always.... but money often stops me from being able to do that (sometimes I'll pay huge amounts for OG, but not usually). :( I was just happy to get The Bends on 1 disc instead of 2. The most recent reissues were changed to 2 discs. God I hate that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for the heads up.

Me too and I agree

Oh yes, originals over reissues always.... but money often stops me from being able to do that (sometimes I'll pay huge amounts for OG, but not usually). :( I was just happy to get The Bends on 1 disc instead of 2. The most recent reissues were changed to 2 discs. God I hate that.
    I found the OG Bends for pretty cheap in my local record stores used bin.
    it is usually feast or famine. I have noticed that since vinyl has become popular, there are less great "finds" now. the last record that I found where I was like wtf?? it was Soul Coughing El Oso.
    I was like who the fuck traded this in??? but thank you

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for the heads up.

Me too and I agree

it is usually feast or famine. I have noticed that since vinyl has become popular, there are less great "finds" now. the last record that I found where I was like wtf?? it was Soul Coughing El Oso.
    Love finds like that. My last great find was Mike Watt's "Ball hog or tugboat?" on Blue vinyl. $10.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for the heads up.

Me too and I agree

Love finds like that. My last great find was Mike Watt's "Ball hog or tugboat?" on Blue vinyl. $10.

Damn, that is a find!!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I took back Amnesiac, Kid A and Hail to the Thief. One side of Amnesiac had problems. Kid A had noise in the quiet parts and Hail had a whooshing sound. Not impressed with the Capitol versions. They are all awesome recordings. The search continues.
  • Options

I took back Amnesiac, Kid A and Hail to the Thief. One side of Amnesiac had problems. Kid A had noise in the quiet parts and Hail had a whooshing sound. Not impressed with the Capitol versions. They are all awesome recordings. The search continues.

don't have the other 2 but my Kid A sounds excellent.
    I will have to check the matrix on it too. assumed it was Capital but maybe not.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited April 2015
    RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for the heads up.

Me too and I agree

While this debate over which pressing of OK Computer is happening I've decided to put my 2008 Capitol reissue on and I can't hear any issues, sounds fine to these ears... :)

Post edited by reesdog on
  • Options
    Oh.... I thought we were talking about The Bends, SMH.
    Pretty sure I have the 2008 Capitol Records version of OK Computer too, and I think it sounds good...
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

Yep. If you dont have this one, head over to B&N right now and pick it up. Plus the price is great too.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Pretty sure I have the 2008 Capitol Records version of OK Computer too, and I think it sounds good...

Think we were talking about Radiohead pressing's in general PJ_Soul... :) I think my best sounding Radiohead record is 'In Rainbows', wow!

• Options
    reesdog said:

PJ_Soul said:

Think we were talking about Radiohead pressing's in general PJ_Soul... :) I think my best sounding Radiohead record is 'In Rainbows', wow!

Wow. I just bought In Rainbows, and have only played it once so far, but my thought was that it didn't sound as good as my other 2 RH albums.... But then, I was drunk and had just come home from a very very loud concert without earplugs.... so yeah. ;)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I really like the Kid A Capitol pressing and In Rainbows is pretty good too. I think Hail To the Thief is far and away the best sounding Radiohead album I own. King of Limbs might be next, but I can't get much into the music.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404

Raconteurs--Live at the Ryman

Spinning this tonight!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mfc2006 said:

Raconteurs--Live at the Ryman

Spinning this tonight!

Its a good one..enjoy!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,881
    Metallica St Anger 150gram and Beatles Number 1s 180gram
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 923
    Esbjorn Svensson Trio- Tuesday Wonderland
    Padang Food Tigers- Born Music
  • Options
    Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
    Looking at ordering some vinyl from amazon.ca, the nearest record store to me is about a 5 hour drive so I get there much. Curious to know how these vinyl sound, so if anyone one has them I like a little feed back. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Here's the list:
    Fugazi - First Demo, The Argument
    RHCP - Stadium Arcadium
    Ryan Adams - Gold, Demolition
    Temple of the Dog
    Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Drive By Truckers - Dirty South, Southern Rock Opera
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Johnny Cash - American IV
    Lou Reed - Transformer
    The War on Drugs - Salve Ambient
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179

Looking at ordering some vinyl from amazon.ca, the nearest record store to me is about a 5 hour drive so I get there much. Curious to know how these vinyl sound, so if anyone one has them I like a little feed back. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Here's the list:
    Fugazi - First Demo, The Argument
    RHCP - Stadium Arcadium
    Ryan Adams - Gold, Demolition
    Temple of the Dog
    Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Drive By Truckers - Dirty South, Southern Rock Opera
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Johnny Cash - American IV
    Lou Reed - Transformer
    The War on Drugs - Salve Ambient

Gold and demolition sound great. As does cease to begin.

1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,678
    slave ambient is awesome. temple of the dog is sweet too.