The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Listening to O'Neil in the booth, I miss him playing. I'd love to see him play one more inning.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Newch91 wrote:
    Listening to O'Neil in the booth, I miss him playing. I'd love to see him play one more inning.

One of my favorite players. I wish I could hear his commentating. I bumped into him in a mall down here in Fla the year before he retired, and he was a super nice fella too.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    damm CC hurt eh? sucks
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Really? Gardner is awful. He's got a .355 career OBP. His playoff OBP - .290. He's hardly the solution. I'm sure we can find someone with a .300 playoff OBP. Hard to score if you're not on base.

Yeah, I mean, I'll gladly take a .355 career OBP from someone with his speed and defense but the playoff OBP is troubling. He sure as hell is not the reason they win or lose this year.

Edit: And yeah, I just looked back, from the 2010 deadline I believe. One person who's opinion I really respect around here also wouldn't do it, but I think that's crazy.

Trust me, I'm not Sabermetrics fan. I think that's over doing it. But, there are some basic statistics that squash many of these - just look at it - theories.

Jose Bautista? Really? Someone wouldn't take Jose Bautista for Brett Gardner? Cashman wouldn't even ask Toronto for that b/c he'd be the joke of every GM meeting forever and never be taken seriously.

I'm a Yankees fan, but I hate when fans overrate players they have. Is Brett Gardner really any better than Rajai Davis? Age 28 season: .360 OBP, 41 SB

Gardner's a nice player. A luxury if you will. But, he's a classic right place, right time guy.

I like SABR but I don't live by it, soem are good, some are bad and some are terrible. I think the triple slash line can tell you everything you need to know about a player.

Ha, yeah, it wasn't straight up. I said Gardner, Nova (2010 Nova), and maybe a lower level player and no one would do it. This was during Bautistas break out year and everyone thought he was a flash in the pan. But still, agreed. Anyday.

Gardner is helped out that his defense rates as the best left fielder in baseball so that helps out his case a lot over players like Davis. But like you said, Gardner works on this team because he is just a piece of a much bigger puzzle. He's a good piece of this team, but that's about it.
    Newch91 wrote:

I'll be seeing him play Sunday :lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

The commentary isn't counter to what you are saying.

Give me a team that can manufacture runs (the Yankees from 96-01) vs a HR hitting team (08-current) Yankee team in the playoffs any day of the week.

Ha, such nonsense. Those teams wouldn't have won shit without home runs. Lyritz, Tino, Jeter, Brosius, etc. All gigantic home runs, not bunts, steals and moving runners over that got them the dynasty they had.

You should watch NL baseball.

You're citing individual homeruns. Homeruns happen. Those teams didn't depend on the homerun and weren't effectively neutralized when they didn't hit them. This years Yankee team without the HR can not win. And even when they do hit homeruns it's more times than not is without runners on base. Just reference Granderson's, Cano's and Rodriquez's RBI totals in relation to their HR totals.

Here's the funny part - Yankees "Guillen Number" (% of runs by HR):

2009 40.98
    2001 40.17
    2000 38.58 (is 2% really that much difference?)

And do you really think they are not going to improve with RISP which will lower their current number from 42? Their first half RISP BA is an anomaly. They will hit to the "back of their card" by the end. Which is a scary thought. I mean, Cano is the worst so far. He's hitting like .140 with RISP. Do you really think that will continue?

BTW - I hate Gardner. One of the most overrated players there is. He's a nice 4th OF. I don't mind the Yankees having him b/c they basically have an All Star caliber player at every position. But, let's not make him out to be the solution to their RISP BA because he has a bit of speed. If he was on the Pirates, he wouldn't even be an afterthought.

Your missing the 2012 Yankees "Guillen number". An absurdly high 52.5% as of June 25th since all of a sudden your quoting statistics like an encyclopedia.
    DS1119 wrote:

You're citing individual homeruns. Homeruns happen. Those teams didn't depend on the homerun and weren't effectively neutralized when they didn't hit them. This years Yankee team without the HR can not win. And even when they do hit homeruns it's more times than not is without runners on base. Just reference Granderson's, Cano's and Rodriquez's RBI totals in relation to their HR totals.

There is more than half the season left dude. Like he said, this team will get back to their mean with runners on. The Yankees have the third highest OBP in baseball and the most home runs, that is obviously a very good recipe for success, especially considering they have the best fucking record in baseball.

Only Yankees fans can compain about a team currently on pace to win 100 games with only one other scary team in the leauge

This is so silly. Your complaint is unfounded based on statistical analysis. But, keep spouting it. It sounds good to folks who don't understand Baseball games are 9 innings and seasons are 162 games and WS droughts of only 8 years are welcome sights to most teams' fan base.

Seems to me you suffer from what I call "selective statistical analysis". :lol:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

There is more than half the season left dude. Like he said, this team will get back to their mean with runners on. The Yankees have the third highest OBP in baseball and the most home runs, that is obviously a very good recipe for success, especially considering they have the best fucking record in baseball.

Only Yankees fans can compain about a team currently on pace to win 100 games with only one other scary team in the leauge

Becasue it;s all lining up to what happened in 2010 and 2011. Regualr season warriors and playoff losers. Even Michael Kay has been touching on this subject for weeks now.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Becasue it;s all lining up to what happened in 2010 and 2011. Regualr season warriors and playoff losers. Even Michael Kay has been touching on this subject for weeks now.

Such nonsense. You know what happened in 2011? They had Freddy Garcia starting in the fucking playoffs and ran into a red hot Tigers team. Same with 2010. The playoffs are a crapshoot. Look at the past two world series winners and since you want to keep quoting the dynasty, look at the 2000 Yankees, that team was garbage compared the rest of our world series winners. The fact that anyone can use this as an issue is mind boggling.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Such nonsense. You know what happened in 2011? They had Freddy Garcia starting in the fucking playoffs and ran into a red hot Tigers team. Same with 2010. The playoffs are a crapshoot. Look at the past two world series winners and since you want to keep quoting the dynasty, look at the 2000 Yankees, that team was garbage compared the rest of our world series winners. The fact that anyone can use this as an issue is mind boggling.

All I'll leave this with is just look at the team record when they hit a HR and look at the record when they don't.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Strikes out the side. Love it!

He's definately gone back in time. Dare I say the ace of the staff now and he's pitching like it.
    I'll leave it at this. If the Yankees are playing baseball like this (homeruns and all) going into the playoffs they have a great shot to win the world series. That, however, is 80 or so something games away and things could be very very different, so let's just wait and see.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I'll leave it at this. If the Yankees are playing baseball like this (homeruns and all) going into the playoffs they have a great shot to win the world series. That, however, is 80 or so something games away and things could be very very different, so let's just wait and see.

Unless that magical five or seven games comes when they don't hit homeruns. Heck it doesn't even have to be five, in that series it could be as short as three.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

All I'll leave this with is just look at the team record when they hit a HR and look at the record when they don't.

That's fine, I don't disagree. And I will tell you the exact same thing. Look at the record, it's the best in baseball.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Unless that magical five or seven games comes when they don't hit homeruns. Heck it doesn't even have to be five, in that series it could be as short as three.

But it's the same for any team. The team that gets on a roll and hot in the playoffs wins. Get there and see what happens.

2008 Phillies, hot at the right time
    2009 Yankees, best team in baseball, hot for the 3/4 of the season
    2010 Giants, hot at the right time
    2011 Cardinals, hot at the right time
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I'll be seeing him play Sunday :lol:
    :lol: Lucky. I'll be at a party Sunday. Will probably have to DVR Old Timers Day.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    How 'bout that? A 2 out hit with a runner in scoring position.
    This doesn't look good.
    Ah, shit.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    pettitte was cruising for my fant team and now i see an injury delay. what happened
    davidtrios wrote:
    pettitte was cruising for my fant team and now i see an injury delay. what happened

Hit in the foot. Hopefully he's alright.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    How 'bout that? A 2 out hit with a runner in scoring position.

Right now the 47.5 % of the runs just went to 47.9%.
    If my research is right 5 teams have won a World Series after leading the league in regular season homeruns. I would have to think that at least one or two of those came with Ruth when he was hitting more homeruns than some teams combined. With the Yaankees currently scoring 52.5% of their runs on HR's this doesn't translate well to playoff success.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    edited June 2012
    Newch91 wrote:
    that Wise play gets better and better :lol:
    :lol:

This one?:

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/ ... o/11101316

:lol::lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    davidtrios wrote:

Holy crap. :fp:
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    davidtrios wrote:

let's hope so, im just glad he didnt take on off the face or pitching hand
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    my how quickly things have changed in the past few hours...both lefty's gone
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    DS1119 wrote:
    If my research is right 5 teams have won a World Series after leading the league in regular season homeruns. I would have to think that at least one or two of those came with Ruth when he was hitting more homeruns than some teams combined. With the Yaankees currently scoring 52.5% of their runs on HR's this doesn't translate well to playoff success.

I don't really know what that says. That takes absolutely nothing, including pitching into consideration. I'd take the article that says teams who hit home runs score more runs in the playoffs than teams who don't. I can't keep going, it's going nowhere like the Ryan Howard talk so.... Let's Go Yanks!