The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,230
    nice game by Dewayne Wise tonight.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    Im going to post all the HOPE Week stuff in here this week since it's just fucking awesome. So much hate for the Yankees but just a class organization.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/06/26/h ... rge-munoz/

The New York Yankees are proud to continue HOPE Week 2012 (Helping Others Persevere & Excel) on Tuesday by celebrating the charitable work performed by Jorge Munoz. Yankees players Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, Hiroki Kuroda and Boone Logan will honor Jorge Munoz by surprising him in the kitchen of his home and helping him cook the daily meal he prepares for 140 people. Later that afternoon, Munoz and his family will be the Yankees’ special guests for their 7:05 p.m. game vs. Cleveland. They will watch batting practice from the field and be part of pregame on-field ceremonies. Shortly after the start of the game, Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman along with Yankees front office staff and former HOPE Week honorees will join Munoz in traveling back to Queens to assist in distributing food to the hungry at Munoz’s usual time and location (9:30 p.m. underneath the elevated subway tracks at Roosevelt Avenue and 73rd Street).

THE STORY OF JORGE MUNOZ, “AN ANGEL IN QUEENS”
    http://www.anangelinqueens.org/

Known as the “Angel in Queens,” Jorge Munoz, 48, emigrated from his native Colombia in the 1980s with his mother and sister, and spent his subsequent years working in retail stores and as a school bus driver. In 2004, he drove past a group of mostly Latino day laborers who were standing underneath the elevated subway tracks on the corner of Roosevelt Avenue and 73rd Street in Jackson Heights, Queens. They told him that on days they cannot find work, they go hungry.

Identifying with their plight, he began bringing them food. That first night it was eight brown bag sandwiches. Now, eight years later, he is responsible for feeding as many as 140 individuals a night with meals ranging from chicken with rice, to beef with pasta, to pork with beans. While some neighborhood businesses contribute supplies, the majority of cooking is done by Munoz, his sister and an assistant cook in the tiny Queens home he shares with his mother, his sister and her son.

Since beginning his work with the hungry in 2004, he has established his own nonprofit and served over 70,000 meals to New Yorkers who otherwise could not afford to routinely enjoy a hot meal. Jorge has missed serving food just one night over the last seven years due to an impassable snowstorm. He continues despite being laid off from his job in December.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    That Right Fielder for Arizona the yanks picked in the draft looked pretty good in the college world series.
    Rob Refsnyder (or something like that). Looked like he had a good arm and some power.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    That Right Fielder for Arizona the yanks picked in the draft looked pretty good in the college world series.
    Rob Refsnyder (or something like that). Looked like he had a good arm and some power.

Yeah, that sounded like a good pick in the 5th round.

Yanks farm is stacked (Mason Williams hit another home run last night. Send him and Sanchez to Tampa). Big league team has the best record in the game. Only one starting pitcher locked into a big long term contract. I'd say things are pretty damn good right now for the Yankees.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Yanks farm is stacked (Mason Williams hit another home run last night. Send him and Sanchez to Tampa). Big league team has the best record in the game. Only one starting pitcher locked into a big long term contract. I'd say things are pretty damn good right now for the Yankees.

Yanks should promote Tyler Austin as well, kids a beast

62 games
    14 hr
    54 RBI
    1.045 OPS
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Yanks should promote Tyler Austin as well, kids a beast

62 games
    14 hr
    54 RBI
    1.045 OPS

Yes, kid is a beast. Look at that OPS. That Charleston team can hit.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,230
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Im going to post all the HOPE Week stuff in here this week since it's just fucking awesome. So much hate for the Yankees but just a class organization.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/06/26/h ... rge-munoz/

The New York Yankees are proud to continue HOPE Week 2012 (Helping Others Persevere & Excel) on Tuesday by celebrating the charitable work performed by Jorge Munoz. Yankees players Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, Hiroki Kuroda and Boone Logan will honor Jorge Munoz by surprising him in the kitchen of his home and helping him cook the daily meal he prepares for 140 people. Later that afternoon, Munoz and his family will be the Yankees’ special guests for their 7:05 p.m. game vs. Cleveland. They will watch batting practice from the field and be part of pregame on-field ceremonies. Shortly after the start of the game, Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman along with Yankees front office staff and former HOPE Week honorees will join Munoz in traveling back to Queens to assist in distributing food to the hungry at Munoz’s usual time and location (9:30 p.m. underneath the elevated subway tracks at Roosevelt Avenue and 73rd Street).

THE STORY OF JORGE MUNOZ, “AN ANGEL IN QUEENS”
    http://www.anangelinqueens.org/

Known as the “Angel in Queens,” Jorge Munoz, 48, emigrated from his native Colombia in the 1980s with his mother and sister, and spent his subsequent years working in retail stores and as a school bus driver. In 2004, he drove past a group of mostly Latino day laborers who were standing underneath the elevated subway tracks on the corner of Roosevelt Avenue and 73rd Street in Jackson Heights, Queens. They told him that on days they cannot find work, they go hungry.

Identifying with their plight, he began bringing them food. That first night it was eight brown bag sandwiches. Now, eight years later, he is responsible for feeding as many as 140 individuals a night with meals ranging from chicken with rice, to beef with pasta, to pork with beans. While some neighborhood businesses contribute supplies, the majority of cooking is done by Munoz, his sister and an assistant cook in the tiny Queens home he shares with his mother, his sister and her son.

Since beginning his work with the hungry in 2004, he has established his own nonprofit and served over 70,000 meals to New Yorkers who otherwise could not afford to routinely enjoy a hot meal. Jorge has missed serving food just one night over the last seven years due to an impassable snowstorm. He continues despite being laid off from his job in December.

This is a video on the person the Yankees are helping today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KTN0xXiHgI
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Have some big contracts coming due and some arbitrations. I really don't understand how Cashman thinks he's going to trim payroll by 2014. WOn't/can't happen. Cano, Granderson, Hughes, Nova, etc. plus all of the fat already on the books. :nono:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Have some big contracts coming due and some arbitrations. I really don't understand how Cashman thinks he's going to trim payroll by 2014. WOn't/can't happen. Cano, Granderson, Hughes, Nova, etc. plus all of the fat already on the books. :nono:

I don't think $189 is going to happen either, but I also think it all depends on how things play out over the next year or so. I do think it may be a Granderson or Cano situation, which is understandable. Cano is going to get paid. I believe Hughes is a free agent after next season and obviously there is a long long way to determining what he will make and if he is even back. Nova will only be in his first arbitration in 2014 so he will still be incredibly cheap. The only way they get to $189 in 2014 is if they have major contributions from minor leaguers.

Also, winning a world series makes them a lot of money. I know the goal is 2014 but if they win they can pay the luxury tax for a year or two then get to $189 once some of the big contracts are off the books.

Either way, the have the best record in the game, along with the most resources (regardless if they get to $189) and a stacked farm. Things would be a whole lot worse.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't think $189 is going to happen either, but I also think it all depends on how things play out over the next year or so. I do think it may be a Granderson or Cano situation, which is understandable. Cano is going to get paid. I believe Hughes is a free agent after next season and obviously there is a long long way to determining what he will make and if he is even back. Nova will only be in his first arbitration in 2014 so he will still be incredibly cheap. The only way they get to $189 in 2014 is if they have major contributions from minor leaguers.

Also, winning a world series makes them a lot of money. I know the goal is 2014 but if they win they can pay the luxury tax for a year or two then get to $189 once some of the big contracts are off the books.

Either way, the have the best record in the game, along with the most resources (regardless if they get to $189) and a stacked farm. Things would be a whole lot worse.

Oh I'm not saying things could be worse it's just every so often that 189 figure comes up for 2014 and it makes me :lol: . Even with the players currently on the books for 2014 and if they fill out the remainder of the roster with players at the league average they are owell over 189. The Tex and Arod contracts are quite the burden.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Oh I'm not saying things could be worse it's just every so often that 189 figure comes up for 2014 and it makes me :lol: . Even with the players currently on the books for 2014 and if they fill out the remainder of the roster with players at the league average they are owell over 189. The Tex and Arod contracts are quite the burden.

Oh, no doubt. I don't see it happening unless they tank a year.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    my dad and i are taking my boys to their first game on sunday. He got 4 tickets from his brother on his birthday. when I asked him today for the seat number/section, I found out that they're fucking wheel chair seats :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

Sitting in the concourse on folding chairs is not how I envisioned my kids first game. hoping i can upgrade by sunday.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    my dad and i are taking my boys to their first game on sunday. He got 4 tickets from his brother on his birthday. when I asked him today for the seat number/section, I found out that they're fucking wheel chair seats :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

Sitting in the concourse on folding chairs is not how I envisioned my kids first game. hoping i can upgrade by sunday.

Ha, well at least it's old timers day. Going to be a lot of fun.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Let's have a great home stand....jump on this team early
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Listening to a Johnny Damon interview pregame on the radio and boy is it apparent he wants to come back. I almost have a feeling that if Gardner continues to have issues I think the Yanks make a play for him.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    DS1119 wrote:
    Listening to a Johnny Damon interview pregame on the radio and boy is it apparent he wants to come back. I almost have a feeling that if Gardner continues to have issues I think the Yanks make a play for him.
    :roll: no thanks.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    :roll: no thanks.

Really? I'd sign up for another half year with Damon.
    what a catch by wise ;):lol::lol:

great effort

not to mention how smart ny fans are..put the ball in his glove instead of picking it up :D BRAVO

solid 7 from Hughes
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    That was A-Bomb!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Always nice to get home from my soccer game to 5-0. Team is rolling. Cory Wade blows though. He's gone once Aardsma is ready.

Baltimore is about to lose and Tampa is losing. Would be nice if both lost and the Yanks have a 4 game lead
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    Would have liked the complete game for Hughes.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    4 game lead
    I miss igotid88
    that Wise play gets better and better :lol:
    Gardner transferred to the 60 day DL. I think they need to make a move. Wise is not the answer.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    that Wise play gets better and better :lol:
    :lol:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    DS1119 wrote:
    Gardner transferred to the 60 day DL. I think they need to make a move. Wise is not the answer.

He was only transferred to the 60 day to make room for the dude they picked up, it has nothing to do with any setbacks or anything. Who do you want them to pick up? Damon is not an option considering he can't play the field, and is batting .212 and slugging .328 (!)

I would absolutely love for them to make a play for Carlos Gonzalez if the Rockies ever put him on the block, but I can't see that happening and his splits make me slightly nervous. A move like that would make me feel a lot better about Granderson walking after next year. Would take a real big haul.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

He was only transferred to the 60 day to make room for the dude they picked up, it has nothing to do with any setbacks or anything. Who do you want them to pick up? Damon is not an option considering he can't play the field, and is batting .212 and slugging .328 (!)

I would absolutely love for them to make a play for Carlos Gonzalez if the Rockies ever put him on the block, but I can't see that happening and his splits make me slightly nervous. A move like that would make me feel a lot better about Granderson walking after next year. Would take a real big haul.

I think he was transferred becasue of the setbacks. IDK. I would be really surprised, although I'm hopeful, if he plays this year. I would love to see Damon back in the lineup. Someone that can create something on the basebaths. Right now the team is station to station and a homerun hitting team. When the homers don't come, they don't win.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I think he was transferred becasue of the setbacks. IDK. I would be really surprised, although I'm hopeful, if he plays this year. I would love to see Damon back in the lineup. Someone that can create something on the basebaths. Right now the team is station to station and a homerun hitting team. When the homers don't come, they don't win.

He wasn't. They picked some pitcher up off waviers and had to put him on the 40 man. Since Gardner has been out since April or whatever, he was transferred to the 60 day (retroactively) to make room for the new guy. He is going to take dry swings next week and the Yanks are aiming for the end of July.

You have to get on base to be able to steal and right now Damon has an OBP under .300. Ibanez is a better hitter (and left fielder) at this point in his career. Yankees don't have room for nostalgia and Damon is just not that good at baseball anymore. No power, no average. Ibanez and least gets into one here and there.

This team has 23 wins in the last 30 games.
    Oh and daytime baseball going for the sweep. Keep it rolling Andy.