The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He wasn't. They picked some pitcher up off waviers and had to put him on the 40 man. Since Gardner has been out since April or whatever, he was transferred to the 60 day (retroactively) to make room for the new guy. He is going to take dry swings next week and the Yanks are aiming for the end of July.

You have to get on base to be able to steal and right now Damon has an OBP under .300. Ibanez is a better hitter (and left fielder) at this point in his career. Yankees don't have room for nostalgia and Damon is just not that good at baseball anymore. No power, no average. Ibanez and least gets into one here and there.

This team has 23 wins in the last 30 games.

I know they picked up a pitcher but he's nothing really. Damon on the Yankees however is a different player then Damon on the Indians. All I'm saying is this team needs someone to create something on the basepaths. They have zero right now. Granderson's there best bet for that but he seems to be more worried about hitting home runs now...which he should. It's the only way the team can win.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He wasn't. They picked some pitcher up off waviers and had to put him on the 40 man. Since Gardner has been out since April or whatever, he was transferred to the 60 day (retroactively) to make room for the new guy. He is going to take dry swings next week and the Yanks are aiming for the end of July.

You have to get on base to be able to steal and right now Damon has an OBP under .300. Ibanez is a better hitter (and left fielder) at this point in his career. Yankees don't have room for nostalgia and Damon is just not that good at baseball anymore. No power, no average. Ibanez and least gets into one here and there.

This team has 23 wins in the last 30 games.

I know they picked up a pitcher but he's nothing really. Damon on the Yankees however is a different player then Damon on the Indians. All I'm saying is this team needs someone to create something on the basepaths. They have zero right now. Granderson's there best bet for that but he seems to be more worried about hitting home runs now...which he should. It's the only way the team can win.

But why? Like I said, over the last month this team is playing .750 ball (that obviously won't last). Why would you change anything? I don't get the knock on hitting home runs. The whole playoff argument doesn't really make sense to me considering you probably aren't going to get sustained rallies against better pitchers but need to take advantage of mistakes. The Yankees put mistakes in the stands. I don't see how that is an issue.

The whole hitting with runners in scoring position will even itself out. The lineup is too good to not get hits in those situations. I'm not a little bit worried.

Edit: And I don't get how Cashman and the Yankees can rely on Damon being a better player on the Yankees than he is on the Indians.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

But why? Like I said, over the last month this team is playing .750 ball (that obviously won't last). Why would you change anything? I don't get the knock on hitting home runs. The whole playoff argument doesn't really make sense to me considering you probably aren't going to get sustained rallies against better pitchers but need to take advantage of mistakes. The Yankees put mistakes in the stands. I don't see how that is an issue.

The whole hitting with runners in scoring position will even itself out. The lineup is too good to not get hits in those situations. I'm not a little bit worried.

Edit: And I don't get how Cashman and the Yankees can rely on Damon being a better player on the Yankees than he is on the Indians.

I would just reference the last few Yankee playoff exits to teams that rely on winning with homeruns. Like I said I hope Gardner can make it back. That team needs a player like him and if he won't be ready they better find one.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I would just reference the last few Yankee playoff exits to teams that rely on winning with homeruns. Like I said I hope Gardner can make it back. That team needs a player like him and if he won't be ready they better find one.

I hear you with that and it is a valid point but I think timely hitting is the bigger issue. Yanks had a chance to win in game 5 last year with the bases loaded and couldn't get a hit. Playoffs are a crapshoot and unless you are head and shoulders better than everyone like 2009 (who hit a whole lot of home runs and wouldn't have won without them) it's all about getting hot at the right time. Either way, the Yanks seem confident Gardner will be back, although they weren't really concerned with Pineda either.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    although they weren't really concerned with Pineda either.

Exactly. They seem to be able to hide the severity of injuries very well in recent years. It goes from day to day, to month to month, to season ending quite alot with them. :lol:
    CC to the DL. :fp:
    DS1119 wrote:

Welp, hopefully it's as minor as they are making it out to be, especially given our posts just above. This recent stretch has certainly given them some room to weather this storm.
    HA. This is almost the exact same qupte he gave last year about Jeter

“I talked to our doc and he was talking to me about the DL situation,” Brian Cashman said. “(Steve) Donahue was telling him CC was like, ‘Well, maybe miss a start, I don’t know about DL.’ I said, ‘Well start preparing, because I’m going there tomorrow and he’s going on the DL.’ I came in here and it was a one-way conversation. I did all the talking. I know what he wants to do, but this is what we’re going to do. You have to protect players from themselves. He’s a competitor and he wants to be out there. He feels he can pitch with it right now, but we’re not going to mess with it.”
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Welp, hopefully it's as minor as they are making it out to be, especially given our posts just above. This recent stretch has certainly given them some room to weather this storm.

I think I read abdominal strain. Somewhat quoting David Wells from a few years back "you can't strain fat". :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I think I read abdominal strain. Somewhat quoting David Wells from a few years back "you can't strain fat". :lol:

:lol: Yeah, that was great. Think this is a minor groin issue, hopefully minor.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Actually a great statistical article on SI.com about this.

Teams that rely on HRs lose a lower % of their runs in the post season than teams that don't. Your conjecture is a common fallacy. Bottom line - a HR is still a hit. You generally get fewer hits against better pitchers in post season. So, while HRs also reduce, easier to score runs with a HR than stringing together hits or using up outs to move runners.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    DS1119 wrote:

Has anyone else noticed in the last couple years a lot more of these mid-season "vacation DLs" (As I like to call them)?

Perfect timing to get CC some rest and guarantee he doesn't have to deal with turning down All Star appearance.

He's not the only one. Colby Lewis of Texas, etc. Now, maybe they're real. But, it seems if I were a GM and needed to "rejuvenate" one of my players, the all star break is like the end of a quarter in basketball (When coaches sub out stars with 30 seconds left to get them a longer continuous break while missing the least amount of actual game time).

I guess time will tell, but this CC injury comes out of nowhere and appears he only actually misses 2 or 3 starts or so. They are in the playoffs, so why not take 20 innings off his arm and still give him plenty of time to ease himself back?

I know it's early to be thinking playoffs. But, I've noticed a lot of these "injuries" since enhancers (including amphetimenes, etc) have been taken out of the game (And no, I'm not accusing CC of anything. Let's just remember roids, uppers, etc may have had more of an impact in keeping guys "healthy" for 162 more than actually making them hit further or throw harder).

Teams that rely on HRs lose a lower % of their runs in the post season than teams that don't. Your conjecture is a common fallacy. Bottom line - a HR is still a hit. You generally get fewer hits against better pitchers in post season. So, while HRs also reduce, easier to score runs with a HR than stringing together hits or using up outs to move runners.

In all fairness you can believe the stats. I'll believe my eyes. When the Yankees don't hit hit homeruns they don't win. As of June23rd game with the Mets.

Yankees record when hitting a homerun 40-14
    When they don't 2-14 ( may have actually given them one too many wins here actually)

Those are the stats I look at. Wins and losses.
    DS1119 wrote:

In all fairness you can believe the stats. I'll believe my eyes. When the Yankees don't hit hit homeruns they don't win. As of June23rd game with the Mets.

Yankees record when hitting a homerun 40-14
    When they don't 2-14 ( may have actually given them one too many wins here actually)

Those are the stats I look at. Wins and losses.

The commentary isn't counter to what you are saying.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Exactly. You have a link? It's a lot easier to take advantage of one mistake and hit it out of the park than it is to string together hits against a good pitcher.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Exactly. You have a link? It's a lot easier to take advantage of one mistake and hit it out of the park than it is to string together hits against a good pitcher.

http://mlb.si.com/2012/06/25/new-york-y ... runs-risp/

Give me a team that can manufacture runs (the Yankees from 96-01) vs a HR hitting team (08-current) Yankee team in the playoffs any day of the week.
    DS1119 wrote:

Give me a team that can manufacture runs (the Yankees from 96-01) vs a HR hitting team (08-current) Yankee team in the playoffs any day of the week.

Ok. I'll take the 2009 Yankees you can have the 2001 Yankees. Thank you.
    DS1119 wrote:

Ha, such nonsense. Those teams wouldn't have won shit without home runs. Lyritz, Tino, Jeter, Brosius, etc. All gigantic home runs, not bunts, steals and moving runners over that got them the dynasty they had.

You should watch NL baseball.
    DS1119 wrote:

As long as I have the 98, 99, and 00 teams I'll give you 08, 10, and 11. Thanks.
    DS1119 wrote:

Here's the funny part - Yankees "Guillen Number" (% of runs by HR):

2009 40.98
    2001 40.17
    2000 38.58 (is 2% really that much difference?)

And do you really think they are not going to improve with RISP which will lower their current number from 42? Their first half RISP BA is an anomaly. They will hit to the "back of their card" by the end. Which is a scary thought. I mean, Cano is the worst so far. He's hitting like .140 with RISP. Do you really think that will continue?

BTW - I hate Gardner. One of the most overrated players there is. He's a nice 4th OF. I don't mind the Yankees having him b/c they basically have an All Star caliber player at every position. But, let's not make him out to be the solution to their RISP BA because he has a bit of speed. If he was on the Pirates, he wouldn't even be an afterthought.

2009 40.98
    2001 40.17

And do you really think they are not going to improve with RISP which will lower their current number from 42? Their first half RISP BA is an anomaly. They will hit to the "back of their card" by the end. Which is a scary thought. I mean, Cano is the worst so far. He's hitting like .140 with RISP. Do you really think that will continue?

BTW - I hate Gardner. One of the most overrated players there is. He's a nice 4th OF. I don't mind the Yankees having him b/c they basically have an All Star caliber player at every position. But, let's not make him out to be the solution to their RISP BA because he has a bit of speed. If he was on the Pirates, he wouldn't even be an afterthought.

I got destroyed here a while back when I had Gardner in a package for Bautista :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

As long as I have the 98, 99, and 00 teams I'll give you 08, 10, and 11. Thanks.

As long as you give me the pitching staffs from 98 and 99, I'll give you the pitching staff from 2011.....

This is so silly. Your complaint is unfounded based on statistical analysis. But, keep spouting it. It sounds good to folks who don't understand Baseball games are 9 innings and seasons are 162 games and WS droughts of only 8 years are welcome sights to most teams' fan base.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

2009 40.98
    2001 40.17

I got destroyed here a while back when I had Gardner in a package for Bautista :lol:

Really? Gardner is awful. He's got a .355 career OBP. His playoff OBP - .290. He's hardly the solution. I'm sure we can find someone with a .300 playoff OBP. Hard to score if you're not on base.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

2009 40.98
    2001 40.17

Really? Gardner is awful. He's got a .355 career OBP. His playoff OBP - .290. He's hardly the solution. I'm sure we can find someone with a .300 playoff OBP. Hard to score if you're not on base.

Yeah, I mean, I'll gladly take a .355 career OBP from someone with his speed and defense but the playoff OBP is troubling. He sure as hell is not the reason they win or lose this year.

Edit: And yeah, I just looked back, from the 2010 deadline I believe. One person who's opinion I really respect around here also wouldn't do it, but I think that's crazy.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Strikes out the side. Love it!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:

I have no clue where all these strike outs are coming from. It's unreal.

I'd love to see the Yanks rough up Ubaldo. I really wanted to the Yanks to go after him last year. I was definitely wrong on that one.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I mean, I'll gladly take a .355 career OBP from someone with his speed and defense but the playoff OBP is troubling. He sure as hell is not the reason they win or lose this year.

Edit: And yeah, I just looked back, from the 2010 deadline I believe. One person who's opinion I really respect around here also wouldn't do it, but I think that's crazy.

Trust me, I'm not Sabermetrics fan. I think that's over doing it. But, there are some basic statistics that squash many of these - just look at it - theories.

Jose Bautista? Really? Someone wouldn't take Jose Bautista for Brett Gardner? Cashman wouldn't even ask Toronto for that b/c he'd be the joke of every GM meeting forever and never be taken seriously.

I'm a Yankees fan, but I hate when fans overrate players they have. Is Brett Gardner really any better than Rajai Davis? Age 28 season: .360 OBP, 41 SB

Gardner's a nice player. A luxury if you will. But, he's a classic right place, right time guy.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I have no clue where all these strike outs are coming from. It's unreal.
    Doesn't matter to me where they came from. As long as he's striking out people and dominating and winning, I'll take it.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful