Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Career is over.

:evil:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,793
    I miss igotid88
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    igotid88 wrote:
    I just about to post this when I saw that you did.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,785
    What a crazy week for injuries :(

So many memories

Fuck
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Shagging Fucking Batting Practice. Ugh.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    talk about a tyson punch to the gut
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    :( mo

If it is over it is disapointing, but what a fantastic career. So many good memories
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,791
    :(
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I'm not a Yankee fan but that's truly irrevelent because Mariano Riveria has been a class player and even better pitcher on the field. He was, still was the best to continue to keep that #42....I wish for him ALL the best and for a quick recovery.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    I can't believe he tore his ACL and they think he may have torn his meniscus, too. Tom Verducci mentioned that Yavani Gallardo tore his ACL on 5/1/08 and came back to start a game on 9/24 that year and start a game in the LDS, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that Mo could make a late-season return. If the meniscus is torn, though, that will make it more difficult--especially considering Mo is 42 years old and Gallardo was 22 when he was injured (and didn't have the meniscus tear to go with it).

It would be bad from a team standpoint if he's out for the year, but it will be heartbreaking if that's how his career ends. I really hope his rehab goes well and he decides to come back next year so he can go out the way he deserves.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    he will be back. his career isn't ending injured in kansas city.

his last pitch will be thrown at yankee stadium next year.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    This is what my cousin told me last night:

"The Yankees without Mo is like an oreo without the cream filling."
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i can't believe the manager would have him shagging fly balls in a meaningless situation. :fp:

sorry guys.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    81 wrote:
    i can't believe the manager would have him shagging fly balls in a meaningless situation. :fp:

sorry guys.

He's done that his entire career
    81 wrote:

sorry guys.

It sounds weird, but he's actually done that for his whole career. When Torre was managing, Mo used to try to convince him to let him play CF during a game.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    81 wrote:

sorry guys.
    Been doing it for 20+ years... freak accident.

I hate the Yankees but Mo is beyond the Yankees. Best at his position, ever.
    Sorry to hear it.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    Newch91 wrote:
    This is what my cousin told me last night:

"The Yankees without Mo is like an oreo without the cream filling."

The Yankees are going to buy some more cream filling sometime soon haha. And I doubt he will retire and not play next year. He had 44 saves and a 1.91 ERA last year. If anyone can still be productive at 43 (besides Moyer), its Rivera.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    g under p wrote:
    I'm not a Yankee fan but that's truly irrevelent because Mariano Riveria has been a class player and even better pitcher on the field. He was, still was the best to continue to keep that #42....I wish for him ALL the best and for a quick recovery.

peace

Yeah, this. Some players are just beyond all of that and Rivera is one of them. He's the guy you always wanted your team to beat. I wanted the Rangers facing Rivera down by one in the 9th. Outside of Jeter he's the only Yankees player I actually liked in recent years. Wishing him a quick recovery as well.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    81 wrote:

sorry guys.

It sounds weird, but he's actually done that for his whole career. When Torre was managing, Mo used to try to convince him to let him play CF during a game.

Torre always said he was the best defensive center fielder on the Yankees. Girardi talked this year about getting him into a game in center before he retires.

After sleeping on it, I don't think that's it. We'llhear Enter Sandman again. The only thing I worry about is the motivation to get back into game shape with the rehab at his age.

Just fucking brutal. I can't even look at those pictures of him on the ground. Shows what kind of guy he is that he is staying with the team since he feels like he let them down. There will never be another like him.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It is interesting Rivera's career era+ is 203. I don't think anyone else had a era+ more than that and the as far as hitters go the only person i can think of that had an ops+ over 200 was babe ruth

He is/was will be remembered as a truely special player
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    After sleeping on it, I don't think that's it. We'llhear Enter Sandman again. The only thing I worry about is the motivation to get back into game shape with the rehab at his age.

Just fucking brutal. I can't even look at those pictures of him on the ground. Shows what kind of guy he is that he is staying with the team since he feels like he let them down. There will never be another like him.

That was tough to watch him on the ground like that. It's tough to see him coming back...ACL at that age is going to be a brutal recovery. But if anyone can do it, this guy would.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That was tough to watch him on the ground like that. It's tough to see him coming back...ACL at that age is going to be a brutal recovery. But if anyone can do it, this guy would.

I hear you. I'm obviously worried but I am holding out hope he'll be back. And in some cheesy way, if he isn't up for a full season grind, I hope the Yankees get him back on the mound one time at Yankee stadium to close out a game.
    From a Boston blog....

http://www.overthemonster.com/2012/5/4/ ... ano-rivera

From the people here, to the comments on Hardball Talk and Over the Monster, no one wants it to end like this. Not many people in sports have that much respect.
    I honestly think at this point the only thing keeping Hughes from being moved into the 7th-inning role is the fact that Garcia was just horrendous so they need to keep him in the rotation. Maybe Mitchell will wind up having a nice year for them in relief and be a guy they use to get to Soriano and Robertson.
    igotid88 wrote:

Just watched this. Jesus...
    Pete Abe shared this in the comments section of his post on Mo at Extra Bases

PeteAbraham wrote:

If I can share a little story:

In 2009, the Globe offered me this job and I was torn. I had worked for the same company (Gannett) since college and was loyal to them because they had treated me well. I also had so many great friends in New York. But I was from Massachusetts, my family all lives here and my dream since I was 14 was to work for the Globe. I never imagined in a million year that I would love living in New York.

I was torn for a few days, no sleep, asking everybody what they thought. It was hard. Mariano heard about it somehow and pulled me aside in the clubhouse.

"I hear you're thinking of leaving us," he said.

I explained my dilemma and he looked right at me, putting one hand on my shoulder.

"Look in your heart, you'll know what to do," he said.

I decided then I needed to go home or I would regret it forever. I told Mo how much he helped me the next day and he smiled.

Literally every time I've seen him since, he asks me how I'm doing in Boston and smiles. I'm really bummed that he's hurt. I've liked a lot of guys I've covered over the years. I've respected a lot of them. Mo is one of the small handful I've really admired.

The Red Sox - Yankees rivalry is so awesome. But I think even Sox fans are probably sad over this. You want to beat Mo's brains in on the field, not see him get hurt in BP.

Bad, bad day for baseball.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

PeteAbraham wrote:

In 2009, the Globe offered me this job and I was torn. I had worked for the same company (Gannett) since college and was loyal to them because they had treated me well. I also had so many great friends in New York. But I was from Massachusetts, my family all lives here and my dream since I was 14 was to work for the Globe. I never imagined in a million year that I would love living in New York.

I was torn for a few days, no sleep, asking everybody what they thought. It was hard. Mariano heard about it somehow and pulled me aside in the clubhouse.

I explained my dilemma and he looked right at me, putting one hand on my shoulder.

I decided then I needed to go home or I would regret it forever. I told Mo how much he helped me the next day and he smiled.

Literally every time I've seen him since, he asks me how I'm doing in Boston and smiles. I'm really bummed that he's hurt. I've liked a lot of guys I've covered over the years. I've respected a lot of them. Mo is one of the small handful I've really admired.

The Red Sox - Yankees rivalry is so awesome. But I think even Sox fans are probably sad over this. You want to beat Mo's brains in on the field, not see him get hurt in BP.

I agree, it's one thing to beat the Yankees as a Red Sox fan but it was a whole other deal to beat Mo as you call him. That was special because HE was special and i do apologize for misspelling his name in an earlier post.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

PeteAbraham wrote:

I agree, it's one thing to beat the Yankees as a Red Sox fan but it was a whole other deal to beat Mo as you call him. That was special because HE was special and i do apologize for misspelling his name in an earlier post.

Peace

:thumbup:
    For whatever it's worth. Bob Nightengale is reporting, via Reggie Jackson that Mo has always planned to pitch next year and that he probably still will.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    For whatever it's worth. Bob Nightengale is reporting, via Reggie Jackson that Mo has always planned to pitch next year and that he probably still will.

I hope Reggie's saying that because Mo told him that and it's not just him assuming it.