The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Yankeesos98_display_image.jpg?1270474118

Now thats a brawl.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    all the videos have been taken down by MLB
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

ahh, damn it. Was just about to settle in with my lunch and watch that. Fuckers.
    scotty b was a girl though..... but we forgave him with the mvp

however he distracted the big animal so straw could get the sucker punch :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

ahh, damn it. Was just about to settle in with my lunch and watch that. Fuckers.

search for it..i dont get youtube at work..but all the other sites i just looked at said it was taken down
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is awesome

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... o.twitter1)

Armando Benitez vs. Tino Martinez and the Yankees

At 28-9, the 1998 Yankees had already shown that they were in the business of kicking ass and taking names when the Orioles came to town having lost five straight games to push them under .500. The O's were on track to snap their streak with a 5-3 lead in the eighth inning when the Yankees drew two walks while making two outs against tiring O's starter Sidney Ponson and reliever Alan Mills. A Paul O'Neill single off Norm Charlton cut the lead to 5-4 when Benitez, the Orioles' imposing but immature closer, was summoned for a four-out save. Instead, he served up a three-run homer to Bernie Williams to give the Yankees a 7-5 lead, then blatantly plunked Tino Martinez between the shoulder blades with a 90-something MPH fastball on his next pitch. "That was a real cheap shot," said Yankees broadcaster Jim Kaat.

Martinez jawed at Benitez on the way down to first base, and the 6-foot-4 reliever dropped his glove. Both benches and bullpens emptied, and things escalated when Yankees' lefty reliever Graeme Lloyd—a 6-foot-8 Australian native my friends and I called "The Big Dingo"—came charging out of the bullpen and grabbed Benitez's chin before throwing a few wild punches with fellow Yankee reliever Jeff Nelson joining the fray. Benitez connected on a blow to the back of Lloyd's neck as he retreated from the mound into foul territory. As he neared the dugout, he squared off with Scott Brosius, who threw no punches but captured his attention while Darryl Strawberry rolled up behind and connected on a sucker punch to Benitez's head before pushing him into the Oriole dugout. Strawberry was restrained by multiple Orioles at the edge of the dugout, but amazingly enough, the two would square off again minutes later after Mills punched Strawberry while an irate Martinez kept making his way towards Benitez. The second time, Stawberry's blow was more glancing, and his momentum carried him into the dugout where Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken tried to calm him down. Ultimately, it took around 15 minutes before order was restored and play resumed.

"This is like one of those hockey brawls where the umpires have to figure out who stays and who goes," said Yankees broadcaster (and former Oriole) Ken Singleton. "To a man, the Orioles refused to muster even feigned support for Benitez," wrote Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci. "The action of 'I'll hurt you if I can't beat you' totally misrepresents the Baltimore Orioles' tradition of good play and sportsmanship," said manager Ray Miller in apologizing to the Yankees. Benitez drew an eight-game suspension while Strawberry and Lloyd (three games) and Mills and Nelson (two games) received suspensions as well. The Yankees went on to win 114 regular season games and the World Series while the Orioles were swept by the Yankees en route to a nine-game losing streak. They haven't had a winning season since. —Jay Jaffe

Edit: Just to add, I was at the first game that Benitez played in for the Yankees. By far the loudest I have ever heard Yankees fans boo a Yankee, although Farnsworth certainly was close on a few occasions.
    Best baseball fight EVER! My cousins were at that game and they told me they were about to leave when Bernie hit the home run, decided to stay, and got a show right after the home run.

Someone on YouTube had put up the entire fight, but I think it was taken down.

Here are a couple clips:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxV01qyqEw8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkv4yY9C ... re=related
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Now thats a brawl.
    :thumbup:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    Best baseball fight EVER! My cousins were at that game and they told me they were about to leave when Bernie hit the home run, decided to stay, and got a show right after the home run.

Here are a couple clips:

Yes, Video! That's awesome. By far the best brawl. Tino was fired up.
    I was just reading up on this a little more. I forgot or didn't realize that Steinbrenner pretty much offered out Peter Angelos after the fight, thats awesome. Sarcastic I am sure, but awesome either way.

"[AL president Gene Budig] may say he wants Peter Angelos and I to go three rounds and settle it. I'm ready." -- Yankees owner George Steinbrenner
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,555

that one made what happened between the phils and giants the other look like a tea and strumpets get together.

if your'e gonna brawl---then BRAWL.....all they do nowadays is pull people off each other.

then again, back then everyone was suffering from roid rage so, you know.....zing :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Here are a couple clips:

Tino was always one of my favorites. I still remember watching that fight live as it was happening and I was 7 when that happened. I have a crazy memory.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
    that one made what happened between the phils and giants the other look like a tea and strumpets get together.

if your'e gonna brawl---then BRAWL.....all they do nowadays is pull people off each other.

then again, back then everyone was suffering from roid rage so, you know.....zing :lol:

I liked that Phils/Giants 1993 brawl in the 20s throwback unis.

Yeah the one last week was pretty weak.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • I was at the first game Benitez pitched for the Yankees. It was a routine 10-4 victory over the Indians and back in 2003 when my company was in Jersey City, occasionally I'd give up an off day to cover a game for some extra money, especially since we had the four-day work week. I don't remember anything about Benitez's appearance other than that his locker was in the back of the clubhouse right by Roger Clemens and how trying to transcribe whatever he said was a pain, especially before the days of digital recorders.

Two weeks later, I went to a game against Texas and he was traded to Seattle for Jeff Nelson.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
    Old Hoss Radbourne on twitter:
    Are the people who grow wroth at poor pitching performances by A.J. Burnett similarly vexed when the sun rises in the eastern sky?

:lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Are the people who grow wroth at poor pitching performances by A.J. Burnett similarly vexed when the sun rises in the eastern sky?

That's pretty funny. There was a good article by Jack Curry today about how the Yankees are being hypocritical by benching Posada but keeping Burnett in the rotation. Was spot on.
  • It will be interesting to see the secondary market at the stadium on nights he is scheduled to pitch, assuming he stays in the rotation the remainder of the year.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's pretty funny. There was a good article by Jack Curry today about how the Yankees are being hypocritical by benching Posada but keeping Burnett in the rotation. Was spot on.

it doesn't matter...the team has a whole just doesn't have enough

AJ and posada are not the only problems

looking back... i still am shocked we got that game 2 of the ws from him

soooo even though he blows ...he got them a ws for the low price of 80 something million
    It will be interesting to see the secondary market at the stadium on nights he is scheduled to pitch, assuming he stays in the rotation the remainder of the year.

tickets are dead no matter who pitches ...nobody wants to spend any money..people think they can scalp and buy for nothing ..doesn't work like that people
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Here are a couple clips:

what memories!!!!!

that was a team through and through!!!!!

nelson lloyd straw tino ...animals lol

next time i see tino in the suite iam going bring it up :mrgreen:
    Makes up for last night a bit

it doesn't matter...the team has a whole just doesn't have enough

AJ and posada are not the only problems

looking back... i still am shocked we got that game 2 of the ws from him

soooo even though he blows ...he got them a ws for the low price of 80 something million

I am not incredibly confident in this team but I am not giving up on them at all. Get into the playoffs and see what happens. As many holes as the Yankees have, the only team in the AL that I think can beat them is Boston. Get there and hope you get hot.

No doubt, I will always like AJ for game 2. Such a big outing.
    Honestly fellas, I want the Yankees to win as much as anyone but with Mo's recent struggles, Posada being terrible and Jeter getting up there, let's just enjoy seeing these guys in pinstripes. Going to be down to 2 from the 90's teams after this year and I am going to enjoy seeing #20 out there as much as possible over the next couple months. Not trying to be too nostalgic but these guys had one hell of a run. Even when Mo blows it and Posada strikes out looking, I can't get too worked up about it.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I don't feel like Mo's done yet, he usually goes through a rough period once a season.
    tcaporale wrote:
    I don't feel like Mo's done yet, he usually goes through a rough period once a season.

Nah, he's definitely not done, it just hasn't been his best year overall. Few blown saves, couple losses. He's definitely got something left in the tank, but the dude is 41 so if it goes, it goes. Then again, he may not be human so he may be perfect here on out.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Here are a couple clips:

what memories!!!!!

that was a team through and through!!!!!

nelson lloyd straw tino ...animals lol

next time i see tino in the suite iam going bring it up :mrgreen:

Wow, thats crazy!

I wonder of Strawberry was on probabtion back then?

I feel bad for those polite NYers who were yelling for the players to stop fighting! :roll:
    We are watching a special season. Fucking incredible.
    I have always liked Girardi, more than most but if AJ gets a start over Nova, I'm done.
    Watching the soccer game and missed Cano's home run. It was a shot?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Opposite field, about 5 rows back. A shot for a lefty.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Opposite field, about 5 rows back. A shot for a lefty.

Thats it? Kay was talking about someone hitting it over Mohegan Sun.