In My Tree
    Smile
    Sometimes
    Habit
    Pilate (was incredible at spectrum)
    Lowlight
    Grievance
    All or None

Yeah this was a pretty lame idea for a thread.

Grievance seems to get played a good amount of the time but it's one of my favorites so I guess I'd like to see it played even more. It was very nice to see Habit, Smile, and Tremor Christ in Philly....but of those....I'd only like to see Tremor Christ get more play. Smile, to me, is sort of supposed to be a song that you rarely get but when you get it, it's a big deal. Habit got a great response in Philly but I don't know how well it would hold up if it was played as often as something like Animal or Why Go.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    paakjerjr wrote:
    Hey lets be positive for once: Songs they should play more:

Tremor Christ
    In My Tree
    Smile
    Sometimes
    Habit
    Lowlight
    Grievance
    All or None

Yeah this was a pretty lame idea for a thread.

Grievance seems to get played a good amount of the time but it's one of my favorites so I guess I'd like to see it played even more. It was very nice to see Habit, Smile, and Tremor Christ in Philly....but of those....I'd only like to see Tremor Christ get more play. Smile, to me, is sort of supposed to be a song that you rarely get but when you get it, it's a big deal. Habit got a great response in Philly but I don't know how well it would hold up if it was played as often as something like Animal or Why Go.

Habit is one of my least favorite songs from PJ but they fucken ROCKED the SHIT out of it in Philly. They should add to the 'regulars' list. Also, I think YL needs to be put away STAT
  • Options
    I think YL needs to be put away STAT

First off, nothing needs to be put away STAT. As for Yellow Ledbetter, ya gotta remember that not everyone in the crowd has been to a Pearl Jam concert before. They deserve it just as much as I did in 1998. If ya don't dig it, you could beat the traffic. At Philly 2, we stayed for half the song and easily got out of the parking lot.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    An interesting thought for a band like PJ with such devoted and elitist concert-goers: Imagine how much mileage and hype they can get out of OFFICIALLY RETIRING songs (just like sports teams retire jersey numbers). They have so many songs that its not at all a drain on the whole concert experience losing, say, one song a tour to official retirement.

So lets be realistic in that they are not going to retire hit songs (nor should they because we were all casual fans at first and wanted to hear the hits)...

BUT: picture this... they announce the 2010 US tour AND announce at the 7/8 show they are going to retire "Glorified G" (or whatever... you get the idea). That performance of Glorified G they are sure to go absolutely all out, some awesome solo, maybe tag it a few times as they kiss it goodbye. Imagine the demand on those tickets... The retirment of one song would make the entire concert a big event. I think it would be pretty cool knowing you are hearing a song for the last time it would ever be played.
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    merlin401 wrote:
    An interesting thought for a band like PJ with such devoted and elitist concert-goers: Imagine how much mileage and hype they can get out of OFFICIALLY RETIRING songs (just like sports teams retire jersey numbers). They have so many songs that its not at all a drain on the whole concert experience losing, say, one song a tour to official retirement.

So lets be realistic in that they are not going to retire hit songs (nor should they because we were all casual fans at first and wanted to hear the hits)...

BUT: picture this... they announce the 2010 US tour AND announce at the 7/8 show they are going to retire "Glorified G" (or whatever... you get the idea). That performance of Glorified G they are sure to go absolutely all out, some awesome solo, maybe tag it a few times as they kiss it goodbye. Imagine the demand on those tickets... The retirment of one song would make the entire concert a big event. I think it would be pretty cool knowing you are hearing a song for the last time it would ever be played.

Interesting spin on this...
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    merlin401 wrote:

Lol -- somehow I don't think this idea will work. Nice try though -- at least it's an original idea which is a refreshing change from seeing all the griping about frequently played songs at shows.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    Ummm, how about we don't retire any songs? :roll:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    -Not too mention they should remove the middle jams from Even Flow, RVM, and the outro jam on Daughter. They have other songs that can have jams added to them, i.e. MITS, Come Back, Amongst the Waves, I Am Mine, and Unthought Known to name a few.

The jams are what make those songs so great live. When they play Daughter without any tags it just feels incomplete to me now. I am all for them adding jams for other songs too.
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:

I can do without......aw shit play it all, all the time!

Agreed.
    Just let them do their thing, they're pretty good at it ;)
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Well, "put away" means they can always be "taken back out." So the spirit is really, what's getting overplayed? And that's good insight by a bunch of folks, we're in a freakin fishbowl/echo chamber of pretty major fans here on this board -- heck, a lot of 10C members never read here, just wait for e-mail notification and come through to score tix.

Hits are hits for a reason. All good stuff....

At SFIII Eddie had to threaten us, "Don't make us play a bunch of slow songs!" So they get it, some songs lower the energy level and need to be used with care, others blow roofs! I found it funny reading comments about how philly DID NOT explode at the first sight of Ed with an accordian strapped on -- of course not, the majority of folks at that show prolly had no clue what that signified!

Yeah, for me -- any song that's a major SING-ALONG must stay in rotation, cause that's a major part of their shows. And uh, they're name is Pearl JAM -- so songs with jams in them, while admittedly some are getting a bit routine, should be featured. (THanks for Defense of RVM -- sooooo different the jam in the middle between LA and SD, San Diego being just freakin' OFF THE HOOK.)

But yeah, I'll join in:
    -Severed Hand (seems like a fast-song filler to me, these days, just catering to certain audience)
    -Given To Fly (seems like a mid-tempo sleepwalk filler to me, these days)
    -Love Boat Captain (no really, that one, just delete permanently)
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    Oh good grief... Wash!? Are you kidding me!? That's my all-time favourite song and I've never heard it live! They barely play it and... and... *wanders out of thread shaking head*
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    nukeboot wrote:
    Sorry, Jeff.

There's a reason Ed almost never puts Pilate on the setlists.

Like Pilate, I have a dog
    Like Pilate, I have a dog

Awful, just awful.

I have skipped that song since I got "Yield" in 1998 and the reason is that chorus. Just awful.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    BeeGirl86BeeGirl86 Pittsburgh Posts: 171
    paakjerjr wrote:
    Hey lets be positive for once: Songs they should play more:

Tremor Christ
    In My Tree
    Smile
    Sometimes
    Habit
    Lowlight
    Grievance
    All or None

I like the idea of being positive.....I would loooove to hear these songs more:

Immortality
    State of Love and Trust
    Nothingman
    Red Mosquito
    Off He Goes
    Low Light
    Brother
    Come Back

I have a special place in my heart for come back...I think the words are amazing and they have a very personal meaning to me....I have the lyrics tattooed down my back<3

But anyways....those are the songs I would love to hear more...and if I hadd to chooose one song, yeah right I could never chooose <3
    I miss you alreddie.
  • Options
    merlin401 wrote:

Lamest idea since starting this thread....Good grief Charlie Brown...
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Bushleaguer. I assume it's gone, but who knows...

There are 2 versions of NAIS and a Bu$hleaguer on the soundtrack. :roll:
  • Options
    CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    This thread is difficult for me.

Its like talking badly about one of my own children.

:(
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    This is one of the worst threads ever.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    VeddheddVeddhedd Posts: 98
    Just because you are burnt out on songs now doesn't mean you will be later. Keep rockin them all!!!
    2000: Atlanta, GA
    2003: Birmingham, AL
    2010: New Orleans Jazz Fest
    2011: PJ20, Alpine Valley
  • Options
    butte1butte1 Posts: 379
    With all due respect, the people that want to "retire" songs from set lists are usually the spoiled fans who've seen them 50+ times and apaprently are either ultra rich or have no jobs and responsibilities allowing them to see them that many times. For those of us who've seen them a "normal" amount of times in venues relative to where we live, we don't see them that often and we do not want ANY songs retired and we enjoy them immensly every single time we see them perform every single one of their songs. I've been a fan since before some people on this board were born, I love seeing them live, love all of the boots, the studios albuns, the bsides you name it. It is actually fans and threads like this that lead to the lottery system for those first two rows. You folks were too spolied and forgot what a concert is suppsosed to be. Quit being so elitist and arrogant and realize that just because a song may or may nor have a broader appeal or even commercial success does not make it a lesser song. It's the same band and same passion from that band that created "Jeremy" and whatever song makes you think makes you a better fan. So please jsut stop it already.
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    butte1butte1 Posts: 379
    MG79478 wrote:
    Everything but Oceans..... so I can finally hear that damn song!

Actually, Given to Fly, Last Kiss, Dirty Frank, Wash. Dirty Frank was cool to hear, but really kinda terrible. Wash is just terrible, especially as an opener. They should only open with 2 songs on a rotating basis next tour, Oceans and Unthought Known.

The best show openers EVER were Wash and Release. I'm hoping they open the two PJ20 shows with those two songs. I have no idea what you are even talking about..... (just shaking my head in disbelief)
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Options
    Mamasan80Mamasan80 Posts: 298
    edited August 2011
    butte1 wrote:
    With all due respect, the people that want to "retire" songs from set lists are usually the spoiled fans who've seen them 50+ times and apaprently are either ultra rich or have no jobs and responsibilities allowing them to see them that many times. For those of us who've seen them a "normal" amount of times in venues relative to where we live, we don't see them that often and we do not want ANY songs retired and we enjoy them immensly every single time we see them perform every single one of their songs. I've been a fan since before some people on this board were born, I love seeing them live, love all of the boots, the studios albuns, the bsides you name it. It is actually fans and threads like this that lead to the lottery system for those first two rows. You folks were too spolied and forgot what a concert is suppsosed to be. Quit being so elitist and arrogant and realize that just because a song may or may nor have a broader appeal or even commercial success does not make it a lesser song. It's the same band and same passion from that band that created "Jeremy" and whatever song makes you think makes you a better fan. So please jsut stop it already.

I fall into the category of "spoiled fans" - however I am neither ultra rich nor unemployed. That's a completely idiotic assertation.

I could def survive not seeing E-Flo, Small Town, Better Man, Jeremy, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter, or Daughter for the xxth plus time, but I respect the casual fan, and I know that's what they come to see. The bonus of that is the tremendous energy from the crowd those songs bring out, and it's pretty awesome to me. I often find myself scanning the crowd more during those songs than watching the band, because it is great to see people get to hear songs they love from a band they don't religiously follow.

That said, there are several songs I would love the band to retire, not because I'm "spoiled" but because they are a different sounding band than they used to be, and some of the songs sound terrible compared to their intended form... or some songs, like All Night or U, flat out suck.

If I never see Deep, Spin the Black Circle, or (yup, I said it) Leash again, I'll be fine - and not because they're bad songs, but because Ed just doesn't sing them the way they should be sung anymore. And, not for nothing, but with a band that is now as commercial as the peers they once railed against, Not For You is pretty hollow.
    Post edited by Mamasan80 on
  • Options
    HailHailOZHailHailOZ Posts: 350
    I don't post on here often mostly just a reader, but this topic peaked my interest and I can't believe after reading 6 pages of posts and no one mentions Yellow Ledbetter

Wholeheartedly second this motion. Way predictable set closer and frankly a bit of a downer sometimes where a more exciting ending might have been more appropriate.

...and have to agree with a lot of the "Ed just does't sing this with the same passion" comments. Robert Plant talking about Led Zeppelin songs once said something like " the emotion you can use to express emotions when you are young doesn't always translate to a performance later in life". PJ might like to avoid the Greatest Hits style setlist and play to their strengths instead. How many of us would be upset if this meant Pearl Jam only played clubs from now on...?
  • Options
    drmrkelleydrmrkelley Posts: 141
    HailHailOZ wrote:
    I don't post on here often mostly just a reader, but this topic peaked my interest and I can't believe after reading 6 pages of posts and no one mentions Yellow Ledbetter

Wholeheartedly second this motion. Way predictable set closer and frankly a bit of a downer sometimes where a more exciting ending might have been more appropriate.

...and have to agree with a lot of the "Ed just does't sing this with the same passion" comments. Robert Plant talking about Led Zeppelin songs once said something like " the emotion you can use to express emotions when you are young doesn't always translate to a performance later in life". PJ might like to avoid the Greatest Hits style setlist and play to their strengths instead. How many of us would be upset if this meant Pearl Jam only played clubs from now on...?

I'm hoping they never retire Yellow Ledbetter. I never get tired of hearing it even though it sucks because then you know the show is over. Maybe they should throw us a curve ball and open with it at PJ20.
    62698 E Troy, 81800 Indy, 42303 Champagne, 42503 Cleveland, 10204 Toledo, 10304 Grand Rapids, 91105 Kitchener, 51606 Chicago, 51706 Chicago, 62606 St. Paul, 8507 Chicago, 82109 Toronto, 82309 Chicago, 82409 Chicago, 5910 Cleveland, 9311 E Troy, 9411 E Troy, 91111 Toronto, 92112 Pensacola, 71913 Chicago, 101113 Pittsburgh, 101213 Buffalo UPCOMING: Cincy, Lincoln, Detroit, Moline, St Paul, Milwaukee
  • Options
    I agree....people who want songs retired are the ones that see them 80 times in a row..................
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 446
    For me it's not so much that they need to retire songs i hear all the time ... it's that i'd like to see them performed a bit differently. Take Even Flow (always midset) or Yellow Ledbetter (always at the end) ... if they simply repositioned them in a show once in awhile, it'd get my interest. Wouldn't it be cool to see them open with Even Flow? It's like when they opened with Alive in Newcastle ... that's one of my favorite versions of a song i otherwise don't really get too excited about.
  • Options
    people that start a statement 'with all due respect' dont respect at all.
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    people that start a statement 'with all due respect' dont respect at all.

Oh well..... :lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,943
    If you are calling for songs like Alive and Black to be retired then you have seen too many shows.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    alive
    jeremy
    betterman
    daughter
    e flow
    black

choke on that ya sheep

I agree with you on most of these! especially evenflow