Options

Songs they should put away

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    :evil:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I wish they would retire Last Kiss...that is one song I wish I could never hear again!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Agreed that DTE isn't a great song, but I will say that it generates a LOT of
    crowd energy. Can't forget the story about the night they played it at MSG
    and the stage started bouncing. '03?
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    In My Tree
    Indifference
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    Agreed that DTE isn't a great song

I think it's far and away their best song
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Low light, what a buzzkiller and to a lesser extent unemployable.

No Way!!! (no pun intended) I love hearing those songs live!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    i guess we can also add Help, Help to this list too?
    What? Have you heard this gem live? It rocks!

The fast versions of Given To fly and Corduroy should be changed for normal speed versions and versions where Eddie cares about what he's singing. RITFW shouldn't be played at every show.

I agree 100 %. Given to Fly is 2nd fav PJ song and even I don't like what they've done to it lately.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    I wish they would retire Last Kiss...that is one song I wish I could never hear again!

us mass-holes think alike!!!

and cropduster was fucking awesome live...why would someone not want to hear that?!?!?!
  • Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    can't say I want anything to go away completely but I'd be fine with only seeing daughter, betterman, evenflow and corduroy once every 10 shows or so. know this will never happen, they are almost obligated to play them.

last kiss can take a hike though:)
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    metsfan wrote:
    alive
    jeremy
    betterman
    daughter
    e flow
    black

choke on that ya sheep

i'd say that list makes you the sheep fanboy ;)
  • Options
    FY51755 wrote:
    How many more posts until someone types out Riot Act's track listing?!

Dont you dare!

not the whole thing, but at least:

cropduster
    lbc
    you are
    get right
    green disease
    help help
    bushleaguer

also:

no more
    last kiss
    big wave
    gone
    evacuation
    gods dice
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,093
    nukeboot wrote:
    Agreed that DTE isn't a great song

I think it's far and away their best song

Agreed........I NEVER get tired of DTE, hearing it live myself or on bootlegs, love, love, love this song :D
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I know I started this thread but I'll give someone a dollar to tabulate the totals. (Times like these make me wish there was a poll option in this forum. I wonder why they did away with them?)
  • Options
    this thread is lame

there are no songs that they should retire. end of story.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Bushleaguer. I assume it's gone, but who knows...

Hopefully it is not gone forever, but very well could be. There are only a select few songs I would rather not hear again live such as Last Kiss, but I know there are fans who like the songs I don't care for. I just want them to keep mixing up the setlists on future tours the way they have been this year. They should avoid doing any song in two consecutive shows (meaning all shows, not just in cities that get more than one).
  • Options
    SlicknessSlickness Carlsbad, California Posts: 39
    Get_Right wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    alive
    jeremy
    betterman
    daughter
    e flow
    black

choke on that ya sheep
    I actually agree with this. Not total retirement, but a good rest for the next tour

add crazy mary and last kiss as well

sorry dude- but get right might fall under this category too

I like this idea too. Those songs are WAY over played! They have so many sick tunes that they could leave these out.
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    Everything but Oceans..... so I can finally hear that damn song!

Actually, Given to Fly, Last Kiss, Dirty Frank, Wash. Dirty Frank was cool to hear, but really kinda terrible. Wash is just terrible, especially as an opener. They should only open with 2 songs on a rotating basis next tour, Oceans and Unthought Known.
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:
    Everything but Oceans..... so I can finally hear that damn song!

Actually, Given to Fly, Last Kiss, Dirty Frank, Wash. Dirty Frank was cool to hear, but really kinda terrible. Wash is just terrible, especially as an opener. They should only open with 2 songs on a rotating basis next tour, Oceans and Unthought Known.

Good call on Wash...no wonder it didn't make Ten. I don't even think it would've made Riot Act.
  • Options
    No More
    Bushleaguer
    Gone
    World Wide Suicide
    Last Kiss
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Rocking in the Free World
    Love Boat Captain

-Not too mention they should remove the middle jams from Even Flow, RVM, and the outro jam on Daughter. They have other songs that can have jams added to them, i.e. MITS, Come Back, Amongst the Waves, I Am Mine, and Unthought Known to name a few.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    alive
    jeremy
    betterman
    daughter
    e flow
    black

choke on that ya sheep
    I actually agree with this. Not total retirement, but a good rest for the next tour

add crazy mary and last kiss as well

sorry dude- but get right might fall under this category too

Why are you picking songs that hardly ever get played anyway? kind of a pointless thread really
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    Duffman_99 wrote:
    Although I have heard Corduroy, Even Flow or Evolution in almost all shows I have been to, I have to admit it was a little bit weird not to hear them in all Philly shows. Yep, I got this nice feeling when they played it on night #4. Besides, I wonder if the guys who were brought to the stage on Philly #2 thinks Even Flow should be retired...

I know quite a few places (South America mainly) where Pearl Jam could play a "greatest hits" set list and people would leave the concert extremely happy!!! I don't think that make them less hard core fans than anybody else (the videos from the 05 tour are insane!!!), it's just that we don't have the privilege of seeing them every year.

they played a greatest hits set at lollapalooza in 07 and it was one of the best shows i've ever seen. the crowd was so amped it was incredible. way better show than the vic a few nights before. it was cool to get a show full of rarities, but it definitely reminded me that there is a reason those songs became hits and get played live often... and it's becos they're great songs that get the crowd involved. also reminded me why some of the more obscure songs remain obscure and aren't played often... becos they're not tthat great and kinda duds live.
  • Options
    doompony wrote:
    you heathens!!! think about all us poor folk in countries they HARDLY EVER COME TO....

I hear you - sorry you missed Black in NZ last time (I was at the Auckland show, you missed a cracker! Ledbetter involved lifeguards, a lifejacket, and a sausage thrown into the crowd lol)

Man there is some bitching on this board - some people go to waaaaaaay too many shows if they can bitch about hearing Even Flow "too often." As one poster said - a lot of people in the audience may be there for the first time, so they have to think of those guys as much as they think of the guys who brag about seeing the band 5,000 times. Joe Dimaggio (I think) once said that there was always a kid seeing him play for the first time or last time, and that he owed that kid his best. Couldn't have said it better myself.

As for the poster who said if PJ advertised they weren't going to play their big hits on tour they would get a lot of hardcore fans in the crowd - you're right, they would, but they'd only be able to play House of Blues-sized venues due to the small crowds. A lot of people on this board are hardcore fans and love the "undiscovered gems," but the truth of the matter is 99% of the fans at a PJ concert would much rather hear "Black" than "Black Red Yellow." Even a mailed-in, passionless performance of "Porch" would be a treat for most people. Hell, I'm firmly in the "I don't like Backspacer" camp, and if I went to see them play and all they did was Backspacer, I'd still go home a happy man.

The only thing I'd change is the covers... they might have more room for their lesser-known songs if they weren't covering The Who and Neil Young every night. I love The Who and Neil Young, but I'd rather see PJ play "Out Of My Mind" and "Rats" than "Rocking in the Free World" and "Love Reign O'er Me."
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options
    I wanna add Grievance to this list.
  • Options
    Come Back (Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...)
    Thumbing My Way (Zzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzz...)
    Last Kiss (Barf......)
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    It's a fact that on the 2000 tour, the ONLY song played at EVERY show was 'Corduroy', and that was a decade ago. Put it on the shelf for a tour or two.

You know, yes it gets played a TON, but it's my all-time favourite song to hear live. I NEVER tire of it . . . and I would actually be disappointed if it wasn't played at a show I was at.

Please keep Corduroy alive!

I agree with Last Kiss (barf....) :D NOT a good concert song.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options

Wash and now Grievance? Whats next on "your list"? Immortality, Present Tense, and Tremor Christ.....
  • Options

Wash and now Grievance? Whats next on "your list"? Immortality, Present Tense, and Tremor Christ.....

Hell nah- Immortality is a top 3 song and PT top 10 of all-time! TC doesn't get played enough!
  • Options
    nevmiles wrote:
    ]

You know, yes it gets played a TON, but it's my all-time favourite song to hear live. I NEVER tire of it . . . and I would actually be disappointed if it wasn't played at a show I was at.

Please keep Corduroy alive!

Its almost the best opener.
    While the line "the waiting drove me mad" is often times over used on the boards, there is nothing like it when 15000+ are screaming at the beginning of a show.

And after reading this thread more, you all either need to stop going to shows or something.
    Philly 4 was my 29th seeing them, and I could see all of the songs on everyones list and be very happy.
  • Options

Hell nah- Immortality is a top 3 song and PT top 10 of all-time! TC doesn't get played enough!

Glad you agree with those. I was begining to think you have the worst taste ever and may add those to your list. In all seriousness, you still have a strange taste... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Glad you agree with those. I was begining to think you have the worst taste ever and may add those to your list. In all seriousness, you still have a strange taste... :mrgreen:[/quote]

;)