Options

Songs they should put away

Comments

• Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Sorry fans- NAIS and No More should be packed away and not played for a long time. What else should be on the short list?

Watch this and weep.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30BlueyXoyg

I've posted this before, but it may be the best live performance of any song they have ever done.

Great version, too bad they don't play with as much passion for each song as they used to. ;)
    Pudding in and pudding in...reminds me of Bill Cosby& Jello pudding pops. I always thought 'push it in' would have worked better, and been more effective there. Not to mention more pleasing to the ears. It really sounds like pudding. Can't stand this song by the way. It just goes nowhere. It has the same energy level beginning to end. There's no build IMO
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Bushleaguer. I assume it's gone, but who knows...

good call on that one...i guess we can also add Help, Help to this list too?

I sure hope not.. help help really is a brilliant song...
  • Options
    st1st1 Posts: 143
    Songburst wrote:
    They should retire playing live entirely.

Only that can stop the pissing and moaning about what songs they choose to play.

Or better yet: if you're sick of seeing evenflow 50 times a tour, stop going to 50 shows a tour.

Agreed.

These threads are irritating. I wouldn't want the band to think that people really don't want to hear their songs. I took my ten-yr-old to his first Pearl Jam concert on 10/28. He loves Even Flow and was very happy to sing along to it. I loved hearing Mankind on Monday. If all you want to do is complain about the setlist, here's a suggestion. Save your money and let someone who wants to see these songs have your spot in the arena.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    metsfan wrote:
    black

choke on that ya sheep

:cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    you heathens!!! think about all us poor folk in countries they HARDLY EVER COME TO....
  • Options
    Bitching about PJ set lists is the worst idea since going to a party with a boner in sweatpants....I'm just sayin'.... :? ;)

Its easier to tuck up with sweatpants though...
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    metsfan wrote:
    alive
    jeremy
    betterman
    daughter
    e flow
    black

choke on that ya sheep

this made me giggle for whatever reason :D

But seriously, F the evacuation and Pilate haters... pilate kicks ASS live... evacuation too for that matter
  • Options
    Although I have heard Corduroy, Even Flow or Evolution in almost all shows I have been to, I have to admit it was a little bit weird not to hear them in all Philly shows. Yep, I got this nice feeling when they played it on night #4. Besides, I wonder if the guys who were brought to the stage on Philly #2 thinks Even Flow should be retired...

I know quite a few places (South America mainly) where Pearl Jam could play a "greatest hits" set list and people would leave the concert extremely happy!!! I don't think that make them less hard core fans than anybody else (the videos from the 05 tour are insane!!!), it's just that we don't have the privilege of seeing them every year.
  • Options
    Black -- I still love the old version, but like mca47 said, they don't play it with as much passion as they used to. Kinda ruins it for me. Actually, the band does play it with passion, but Ed doesn't seem to feel the song anymore when he sings it. He used to ooze angst and desperation when he sang Black. Nowdays he just treats it like a sing-a-long. I don't get any emotion out of it anymore. :eh:
  • Options
    Black -- I still love the old version, but like mca47 said, they don't play it with as much passion as they used to. Kinda ruins it for me. Actually, the band does play it with passion, but Ed doesn't seem to feel the song anymore when he sings it. He used to ooze angst and desperation when he sang Black. Nowdays he just treats it like a sing-a-long. I don't get any emotion out of it anymore. :eh:

oh my GOD.... you people... ... this thread title should be changed to "songs the americans think they should put away when playing in america"
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    Wow! I hope they never stop playing any of these songs. Porch!!! Really!? That's one of my favourite songs and as for Baba O'Riley, I only heard that live for the 1st time on Friday... I mostly hear RITFW (which is fine with me too). I'm happy for them to play whatever they want to play... provided I hear Wash sometime soon.

Seeing Better Man and Daughter live saved both these songs for me... the radio KILLED them during the 90s to the point that I couldn't stand them... I LOVE them live... waiting for the tags alone is awesome!

As for Black... well, Molson was possibly the best version I've ever seen... if you don't think Ed was feeling it and blown away by the response, go watch every YouTube video you can find from that show!

Wow, just wow...
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    But seriously, F the evacuation and Pilate haters... pilate kicks ASS live... evacuation too for that matter

That's not very nice.

:lol:

But seriously, the band doesn't think much of Pilate or you'd see it played more.

Every band has a few stinkers. Even PJ.

And they know it.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    AnotherTourPleaseAnotherTourPlease Posts: 486
    edited November 2009
    doompony wrote:

oh my GOD.... you people... ... this thread title should be changed to "songs the americans think they should put away when playing in america"

I'd rather they not play Black than play a rote version of it. Compare the Pinkpop '92 performance to the Philly '09 version for example. I cried listening to Pinkpop. Didn't get any feeling out of that song at Philly. Just sayin'.
    Post edited by AnotherTourPlease on
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Songburst wrote:
    They should retire playing live entirely.

Only that can stop the pissing and moaning about what songs they choose to play.

Or better yet: if you're sick of seeing evenflow 50 times a tour, stop going to 50 shows a tour.

We're not pissing and moaning we're having a discussion. I've definitely loved every Pearl Jam show I've been to but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on what songs I don't want to hear.

Honestly, I've never liked Even Flow and wish I could just hear it once a tour. :geek:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,344
    Tone wrote:
    Wow! I hope they never stop playing any of these songs. Porch!!! Really!? That's one of my favourite songs and as for Baba O'Riley, I only heard that live for the 1st time on Friday... I mostly hear RITFW (which is fine with me too). I'm happy for them to play whatever they want to play... provided I hear Wash sometime soon.

Seeing Better Man and Daughter live saved both these songs for me... the radio KILLED them during the 90s to the point that I couldn't stand them... I LOVE them live... waiting for the tags alone is awesome!

As for Black... well, Molson was possibly the best version I've ever seen... if you don't think Ed was feeling it and blown away by the response, go watch every YouTube video you can find from that show!

Wow, just wow...

I totally agree with you and who ever said Black needs to have their heads checked yeah retire this thread .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Low light, what a buzzkiller and to a lesser extent unemployable.
    Get over here!
  • Options
    Evacuation, Pilate, and Do The Evolution. That's right, I said it. Oh, and RITFW - enough already, especially for a cover.
  • Options
    Just burn this thread.
    LET"S GO YANKS!
  • Options
    Just burn this thread.
    LET"S GO YANKS!

Ick....
  • Options
    I don't post on here often mostly just a reader, but this topic peaked my interest and I can't believe after reading 6 pages of posts and no one mentions Yellow Ledbetter, seriously enough is enough especially the predictability of it, as soon as you here those first notes you know the show is over and I for one thinks that sucks, not to mention the fact that the song has no permanent lyrics and back in the day when it was somewhat rare Ed used to change the lyrics to relate to such and such city or a topic or something that would make it original but now all you get to listen to is thousands of fans singing what "they think" are the lyrics (not that I don't like singing along myself or am I saying that sing-a-longs shouldn't happen, key part of shows in fact) and you don't even get to hear Ed.

As for other songs I might get some backlash on this too. But no more RITFW unless you have guest appearances (exception- that shrill voice from Sleater Kinney)

Also no more Do the Evolution, good song but once in a great while

Also I agree with the other posters I think a good tribute would be to retire Sweet Lew and Bugs with the Spectrum
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,486
    encore breaks
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    i guess we can also add Help, Help to this list too?
    What? Have you heard this gem live? It rocks!

The fast versions of Given To fly and Corduroy should be changed for normal speed versions and versions where Eddie cares about what he's singing. RITFW shouldn't be played at every show.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    They shouldnt "put away" any songs! Not everyones seen the band a million times if its your first show youd want to hear e flow, daughter, corduroy, alive, etc
    Also RITFW is a perfect closer i still hope to catch it live
    And NAIS?? They barely play it!!my 2nd fav track from binaural
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    metsfan wrote:
    alive
    jeremy
    betterman
    daughter
    e flow
    black

choke on that ya sheep

I pretty much agree with you, other than Black. Amazing that need to be rested so that they can fully appreciated again.
  • Options
    RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    Even Flow:643
    Alive:565
    Black:434
    Jeremy:416
    Porch:412
    Corduroy:403
    Daughter:401
    Better Man:377
    Do The Evolution:348
    Rearviewmirror:347

I would be very dissapointed if they don't play a few of these songs at a concert i attend.
    Unlike you lucky asses in the USA who can visit 4 concerts in a row in the same city we over here in Europe and the rest of the world are most of the time lucky with 1 concert in our area.

The should play around 150 songs per evening to satisfy us :lol:

Maybe for the next couple of decennia touring just visit 1 concert a tour and then decide which song should be put away :lol:
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • Options
    Evenflow :o:o :shock:

J/K
    Bitch Be Cool 8)
    BRISBANE 1998,2003,2006,2009!!!
    Christchurch 2009
    Oh I'm a lucky man to count those I love on two hands

come say hi on facebook http://www.facebook.com/sean.montgomery
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,090
    Ed, You've Got to Hide That Song Away.
  • Options
    Evacuation
    You Are
    Unemployable
    Big Wave
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,858
    Parachutes
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,096
    I really don't think they should put ANY songs away.......as long as they keep mixing it up like they've been doing, its fine by me :D:D .....

It's worth remembering that every concert could be someones first one - and I remember mine. I wanted/needed to hear all the 'obvious' songs, otherwise you just feel like you're missing out on something (the main one for me being NO YELLOW LEDBETTER!! :shock: that just seemed plain weird )

Just my 0.02
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22