*** Philadelphia 4 Fanviews Here 10/31/09 ***

Comments

• I don't even know where I should begin. I am still trying to process all the awesomness that I encountered.

First off, I want to say that this was by far the greatest experience ever. The look of awe has still not left my face. I made the trek by myself and had plans to meet up with many other 'strangers'. It couldn't have gone any better and I felt very welcomed by all.

I get so upset with the negativity of some of the posts on here. Take it for what its worth---> Some people attending may not be huge fans like the rest of us. Guest of fellow 10C members/girlfriends or boyfriends of fans/ people that thought it would be cool to see Pearl Jam/ peeps that couldnt get tix to the Phillies/ etc... I know that I dont have much to compare it to, but you get out of a concert what you put into it. I had an absolutely wonderful time. Didnt matter what seat I had. There was so much hype about special guests and them playing til 2am and such- why would that matter? A stellar 2 hr set like usual would have still been amazing. The fact that I was there for only night 3 & 4 and got 70+ songs out of them including my #1 of all time- absolutely priceless and astounding!!!!

All the wonderful people from the pre-parties and the after-fun was great as well. Many memories and new friends were made. I think we should all be a bit more appreciative of what kind of fans this band has. It is the most unique and wonderful/caring group of people.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    One of the best nights of my life. Everyone's covered most of it already. Went with my daughter to 4, and 3. I shared State College with my younger daughter, and was glad to share this special show with my older daughter. It is clear the band took these shows seriously. They seem so casual, but keeping that many songs (including somewhat obscure numbers that they probably had to re-learn after not playing them for years) fresh in their head at the same time is quite a feat. They played so well and I'm in awe of them pulling out so many less played numbers. You could tell they wanted to give it the best they could possibly do out of respect for specialness of the event, and that came through very clear. They always give a good show, but they really really cared a lot about doing this right and gave it everything they had. And thank you for Crown of Thorns. It took me 32 shows to hear Crown of Thorns. So awesome to hear it at last.

I will never forget it and am grateful to have been able to be a part of this historical night.

Also a big thank you for the group rate at the Radisson. It was awesome to stay at such a nice hotel at motel prices. It was such a nice thing for them to do that for us.

And thank you for the Food Inc. video! On 10/31, the first 2000 10C members to pick up their tickets got the free DVD.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Best show of all-time. You'll never see a better rock n roll show. Some could argue they've seen one as good. But there's never been a better one played, by anyone, anywhere.

Agreed! To continue with the "Rocky" theme, it's like the scene at the end of "Rocky Balboa," when Rocky's son says [paraphrasing], "I've never seen anything more amazing!"
  • Wow, that was epic!! It was a family road trip from Beantown- me, husband, brother and-mom. I was in section 307 with mom, bro and hubby one section over. I thought I would be way far out but that Spectrum was tiny so I could see pretty well and of course the screens always help. Loved seeing people dressed up- some of my faves- Oscar the Grouch and The Count- yes, although I hope they took their bulky heads off for the people behind them. Hulk Hogan, Love Boat Captain, Bee girl, Satan from South Park. Hubby said there was a Terrence and Philip duo, so sad I missed seeing them. Overall, maybe best PJ concert ever. It really had something for everyone- again, I was with my mom who knows Pearl Jam and likes Pearl Jam but isn't a hard core fan- and she had a wonderful time because they played a lot of their recognizable hits. Last time I went to a rock concert with mom- R.E.M.'s monster tour, so it was a wonderful treat to have her there. Also, she was blown away at how everyone sings along to every song, VERY LOUDLY :)

MY GOD they played crown of thorns! I can die happy!! Whip it was a riot, lots of rare stuff, many of my favorite songs like I got shit and lowlight! I was in heaven.

Cons- dude that place was soaking wet, I almost tripped to my death multiple times. But worse? lots of smoking cigarettes- is this really allowed or was it because it was the last night nobody regulated? Pot smoke isn't as harsh, but my entire section was up in gross cig smoke. I'm pregnant and it was really quite difficult at times to breathe. Also, I saw some people on this post state that our section and others sections were lame for sitting down- again, as a pregnant lady I was downright exhausted after dancing for the long set. It was actually nice to sit down, get away from the smoke and chill, especially during the slower first encore. I don't know what other people's excuses are, but that's mine ;) And come on, it was a loooooong night. Doesn't make us any "less" of a fan. :roll:

:P I thought Philly fans were great!

Overall just an amazing night and I am already feeling quite nostalgic. So sad it's over. Thanks again PJ and come to Boston in the Spring/Summer, preferably after April so I'm post-pregnancy, k? Thanks ;)
  • elle74elle74 NJ Posts: 58
    Sea wrote:
    October 31, 2009 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Wachovia Spectrum Arena
    Opening: Bad Religion

Set List: Why Go, Last Exit, Corduroy, Severed Hand, The Fixer, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, You Are, Amongst The Waves, Even Flow, Pilate, Unthought Known, Daughter/Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 (Waters), Johnny Guitar, Rats, I'm Open, I Got Shit, Glorified G, Out Of My Mind, Black, Insignificance, Life Wasted

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, The End w/string quartet, Low Light, Speed Of Sound, Jeremy w/string quartet, Inside Job, Bugs w/string quartet, Spin The Black Circle, Porch

2nd encore: Whip It (Devo), Got Some, Crown Of Thorns (Mother Love Bone), Satan's Bed, Sweet Lew, Do the Evolution, Better Man/Save It For Later (English Beat), Smile, Alive, Rockin' In The Free World (Young), Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
    Please try to keep the thread for Fanviews....
    Thank you :)

I'm still in amazement! Amazing week and weekend. THANK YOU Pearl Jam for the best shit I've ever seen :!:

P.S. Anyone have a good pic of them in their Devo getup? Mine are all blurry for some reason, and I kept getting pissed when the pics wouldn't come out, so I gave up so I could enjoy it....LOL :roll:
    Shows: * Jones Beach Music Theatre - Aug 24, 2000 * Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003 * PNC Bank Arts Center - Jul 14, 2003 * Continental Arena - Jun 01, 2006 * Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008 * Madison Square Garden - Jun 25, 2008 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 27, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 28, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 30, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 31, 2009 * The Prudential Center - May 18, 2010 * Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010 * Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010 * Philadelphia, PA Made in America Sept 2, 2012 * Barclays Center - Oct 19, 2013 * Barclays Center - Oct 20, 2013
    EV Solo Shows: * NJPAC Newark, New Jersey - 08/07/2008 * Tower Theater Upper Darby, Pennsylvania - 06/12/2009 * Lyric Opera House, Baltimore, Maryland - 06/14/2009 * Beacon Theatre, New York, New York - 6/21/2011 * Beacon Theatre, New York, New York - 6/22/2011 * Tower Theater Upper Darby, Pennsylvania - 6/25/2011 *
  • wow.... just checked the set list and all I can say is...

'that must have been 1 incredibly long & amazing performance'

now i'm gonna have to get the bootleg and hear for myself! :lol::lol:
  • Demetrios was right - G2 was the place to be after the preparties and before the show. It gave me my wings i needed to make the show with a setlist second to none. My son found a new mentor and got Sweet Lew. I got Shit and Outta My Mind. Many thanks to all who made that happen, the gentleman that wrote the check, and the band for making it the best experience of my 40+ shows and 35 years of attending concerts. Words are difficult to describe the emotion this show gave but it was the whole series that made it historical in my opinion.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Black-12Black-12 Posts: 249
    Ok, posted the other night right after the show and it somehow didn't upload. It was such a life changing week for me. I meet so many good friends, had so much fun at pre-parties and after parties. The most important thing was the music. If I never had the preveilage of seeing another show again I could be content from what I experancied this week.

I came, I rocked hard and gave it my all. I have left with new life long friends, I'm actually in New York city with one right now!

Pearl Jam is trully the best band in the world. They are the sound track to my life.

All I can say is thanks!
  • bethiebethie Posts: 19
    Crown of Thorns is my one song. The one song that I could die happily if I heard live. I knew closing the spectrum was a special night and I knew they only play it at special times. Although, I wasn't holding my breath. I wasn't sure what to do when I heard the first chords. Who do I shout it to? Who do I call to tell them that I am now hearing one of my favourite songs live? I turned to the girl next to me, who I could tell was a huge fan. I turned to her and said, "This is my one" We high fived.

I bought tickets through the ten club, for my best friend and I. She's never seen Pearl Jam, so it was her birthday gift. I told her "this is going to be a show to write home about" I told her how great it was going to be, and to watch the fans, that we have our little things we do during songs. It was fantastic. She had a blast.

Balloons and confetti, like a huge party. Only thing we were missing was ice cream! I have never had an experience like that before. The one thing that I can't stop thinking is, "I picked a good band to have as my favourite"
  • 10/30 show was ridiculously good. I wish i could find good quality mp3s for all four shows. PJ should release this as a live set. Anyone hear any rumors?
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,357
    Ok, I've spent the last hour watching videos on youtube and I'm not understanding where people are getting the idea that the crowd was lame. Every clip I've seen, the crowd seems LOUD and really into it.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    this was my 30th show

best show ive ever seen by anyone

sec 105 row 7 was a BLAST

we were representing the whole show...MAN it was crazy in there!

thank you pearl jam!

thank you 10c!

thank you philly!

easily the best week of my life

1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• alphawolf wrote:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    this was my 30th show

best show ive ever seen by anyone

sec 105 row 7 was a BLAST

we were representing the whole show...MAN it was crazy in there!

thank you pearl jam!

thank you 10c!

thank you philly!

easily the best week of my life

UNBELIEVABLE right?

ahhhhhh....celebrating 30 shows...and what a show for it to be! kudos to us both! :lol:
    and hey, sounds like you were in my seats that i had 10.30. i really enjoyed friday from that view - not too shabby for my 10c #. 10.31 i really lucked out with a friend sharing his tix, so got 103, row 8.... :shock: great times. (and hey even 10.31 my # scored section 202 row 7 i believe..so still nice i believe)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Stasis wrote:
    Now, I'm not sure if Ed was serious about never playing Alive again. What does everyone here think?
    I thought I heard the same thing while at the show, but a review of the video (see link in my sig) shows that he said they're never playing a show that long again.
    I'm a little curious how Ed's face is, that was a NASTY pop to the mouth during Porch, I thought he poped a tooth out.......
    Yeah... I was wondering what was up with that. He came over to our side of the stage to get something, but I thought it was just a quick fix for a throat issue. Didn't realize he hurt his mouth. What kind of pop did he take.... the mic, something from the audience, etc.?
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Yeah... I was wondering what was up with that. He came over to our side of the stage to get something, but I thought it was just a quick fix for a throat issue. Didn't realize he hurt his mouth. What kind of pop did he take.... the mic, something from the audience, etc.?
    I think the mic hit him in the mouth (like he stepped on the base and it came up to fast and hit him). He was putting ice on it during the Porch jam and it didn't seem like it bothered him much after that from what I saw.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Amazing weekend down in Philly (went to nights 3 & 4)...Unbelievable. Everyone has pretty much said all there needs to be. I'll just leave these video links here for those who are interested.

My Videos From Saturday 10/31:

Why Go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMjwJQ53s78
    Severed Hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D7TJx_dvOA
    You Are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J15f3FYSk-0
    Pilate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_9KL12Jke0
    Outta My Mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOWN953rPUM
    Just Breathe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YggJVdW0hA
    Bugs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia4j8012xgQ
    Whip It: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtBgmriQRZo
    Crown Of Thorns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrmEKJBkz1s
    Sweet Lew: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3T98689LeI
    Smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFdt31Cftow
    Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyuzrQuqueY
  • if anyone is interested you can d/l my high quality pix a the following links:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cc333f
    pt 1

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r8jcmj
    pt2
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • The Rock wrote:
    Ok, I've spent the last hour watching videos on youtube and I'm not understanding where people are getting the idea that the crowd was lame. Every clip I've seen, the crowd seems LOUD and really into it.
    I was there. I don't know what they are talking about. The crowd was really into it both nights. I kept looking out at the crowd because it was so amazing to see how animated everyone was. The shows were great!
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • best show ever. it wasnt a concert it was an experience
    Doesnt fucking matter anyway
  • does anyone have a video of 3 days? (last exit)
  • jaimelyn wrote:
    Wow, that was epic!! It was a family road trip from Beantown- me, husband, brother and-mom. I was in section 307 with mom, bro and hubby one section over. I thought I would be way far out but that Spectrum was tiny so I could see pretty well and of course the screens always help. Loved seeing people dressed up- some of my faves- Oscar the Grouch and The Count- yes, although I hope they took their bulky heads off for the people behind them.

Cons- dude that place was soaking wet, I almost tripped to my death multiple times. But worse? lots of smoking cigarettes- is this really allowed or was it because it was the last night nobody regulated? Pot smoke isn't as harsh, but my entire section was up in gross cig smoke.

hey there - i was oscar! my gf was the count - and coming from outside of boston ourselves. for the record, we took off the entire costume for the show, waaaay too hot - plus, yeah, that would have been obnoxious to the people behind us (although, our seats were under the stairs in 305 in the last row, so i couldnt even stand up to block someone if i wanted to) :)

smoking there was out of control - and the guy next to me was smoking clove after clove - ugh - so harsh.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    udscore wrote:
    10/30 show was ridiculously good. I wish i could find good quality mp3s for all four shows. PJ should release this as a live set. Anyone hear any rumors?

i hear there are bootlegs coming any day now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DeLukin wrote:
    I think the mic hit him in the mouth (like he stepped on the base and it came up to fast and hit him). He was putting ice on it during the Porch jam and it didn't seem like it bothered him much after that from what I saw.

My musician friend said it looked like he got shocked by his mic. That made sense to me b/c it didn't look like he hit it particularly hard.
  • jaimelyn wrote:
    lots of smoking cigarettes- is this really allowed or was it because it was the last night nobody regulated? Pot smoke isn't as harsh, but my entire section was up in gross cig smoke. I'm pregnant and it was really quite difficult at times to breathe.

That's strange. I was confused by the lack of smoke on the 2nd night. It sure wasn't like the old days. Occasionally you smelled a little reefer, but there was no cigarrette smoke at all.

Maybe somone lit up and then more people lit up and it was like a chain reaction?
  • I just want to say........THANK YOU PEARL JAM!!!!!!!!
    This goes out to everyone involved .The crew, management,10C.
    I caught all 4 shows and it was one f%%kin incredible week.It seemed like it would
    never get here and the next thing you know its 12:45 sat night and I'm drinking my post show beer in the lot.
    Don't care about all the complaining about the crowd ,setlist , and any other BS.All I know is I spent time
    Rocking with some of the best friends and fans I know of.Not to mention the The greatest live band I have ever witnessed and I have seen plenty in my 36 years of concert going.The greatest thrill was having my 15 year old daughter next to me for that epic show on sat niteShe had to sit a few times cause it was tough to keep up with her 50yr old dad.The band never ceases to amaze with the way they bring it .......I always walk away with a new
    appreciation for these guys and the last 4 shows have just solidified their place in Rock History for me.
    THANKS AGAIN
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    A big thank you from section 301...an amazing experience..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I already posted but I have add my voice to those who loved the Devo cover. It was the funniest thing ever. (In addition to the surprise of Bugs and Jeff's smile during that)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • liven2hit wrote:
    As for 10C and there ticket procedure/system... GO F*CK yourselves... I was as far away from everything as possible... 400 level...
    Not gonna argue that... I was first row in my 400 level seat, but waaaaaaaayyy in the back. I had only joined a few weeks before in the hopes that they'd add some NYC dates, and said, "Why not?," when they added the extra Philly show on a Saturday. I didn't expect great seats unless I won the lottery, but Sec 406 was brutal. I turned down better seats on the public sale figuring that the fan club seats would be equal or better. Was definitely disappointed with how that worked out. However....
    ...I could not even give the seats away to scalpers (in order to upgrade). How is it that I bought these tickets BEFORE they were on LIVENATION or whatever, and still, I am MILES AWAY from the stage.
    Cost me another $50 per ticket in wheeling dealing to be 15th Row on the side of the stage with a great view 8-) :P
    AND PS to all the "Senior" 10C members...you are always the least excited and least animated sections at every show. If someone did not know better, they would think that PJ was actually an opening act based on how "sleepy" the first 30-40 rows looked...
    That view must have been far away, because that's not what I was seeing from where I was. In addition, while being a concertaholic, I'm no where near a PJ super fan like most here, but the 10C members around me definitely added to the night. Hearing their awe and excitement as the rarities kept coming let me know just how special the night was. One guy was a bit miffed at my photography/video work when I went down closer a few times, but even he was civil about it. Hell... even the Philly fans were decent and weren't abusing me for having on a blatantly Yankees (last Stadium game) shirt. In addition, I tolerate being surrounded by weed, so don't begrudge me texting to get score updates or to rub it in to my friends about how freakin' awesome the show and seats were. All in all, a great night from my perspective.

~~~~~~~~~
    Hold On wrote:
    ...if you had to pick only one Pearl Jam show to see for your entire life, this would be the one.
    Definitely came away with that feeling after seeing them for the first time, but I'll risk it by going again ;)

It is very possible that I was wrong about the 10C sections. After all, I was closer to Citizens Bank Park than I was to the PJ stage...
  • does anyone else think its wrong to like the PJ version of Crown of Thorns over Andy woods and MLB????
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    liven2hit wrote:
    liven2hit wrote:
    As for 10C and there ticket procedure/system... GO F*CK yourselves... I was as far away from everything as possible... 400 level...
    Not gonna argue that... I was first row in my 400 level seat, but waaaaaaaayyy in the back. I had only joined a few weeks before in the hopes that they'd add some NYC dates, and said, "Why not?," when they added the extra Philly show on a Saturday. I didn't expect great seats unless I won the lottery, but Sec 406 was brutal. I turned down better seats on the public sale figuring that the fan club seats would be equal or better. Was definitely disappointed with how that worked out. However....
    ...I could not even give the seats away to scalpers (in order to upgrade). How is it that I bought these tickets BEFORE they were on LIVENATION or whatever, and still, I am MILES AWAY from the stage.
    Cost me another $50 per ticket in wheeling dealing to be 15th Row on the side of the stage with a great view 8-) :P
    AND PS to all the "Senior" 10C members...you are always the least excited and least animated sections at every show. If someone did not know better, they would think that PJ was actually an opening act based on how "sleepy" the first 30-40 rows looked...
    That view must have been far away, because that's not what I was seeing from where I was. In addition, while being a concertaholic, I'm no where near a PJ super fan like most here, but the 10C members around me definitely added to the night. Hearing their awe and excitement as the rarities kept coming let me know just how special the night was. One guy was a bit miffed at my photography/video work when I went down closer a few times, but even he was civil about it. Hell... even the Philly fans were decent and weren't abusing me for having on a blatantly Yankees (last Stadium game) shirt. In addition, I tolerate being surrounded by weed, so don't begrudge me texting to get score updates or to rub it in to my friends about how freakin' awesome the show and seats were. All in all, a great night from my perspective.

~~~~~~~~~
    Hold On wrote:
    ...if you had to pick only one Pearl Jam show to see for your entire life, this would be the one.
    Definitely came away with that feeling after seeing them for the first time, but I'll risk it by going again ;)

It is very possible that I was wrong about the 10C sections. After all, I was closer to Citizens Bank Park than I was to the PJ stage...

at least there is a lottery now so the front row should be a good mix of old and new members
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville