Options

*** Philadelphia 4 Fanviews Here 10/31/09 ***

Comments

• Options
    KB61743 wrote:
    inmyrvm wrote:
    on2legs wrote:
    The crowd zoned out halfway thru because all of the lame Phillies fans were bummed about the score of the baseball game instead of concentrating on the concert.

Philly dropped the ball on this one... never would have happened in NY or Boston.

Let them close Mellon Arena............. we'll show them.

Damn straight.

Well said - c'mon back to the burgh. We're ready for yinz....

I think crowd is so hit and miss. If the people RIGHT around you are great, you'll think the crowd was great. If you have a few people around you that are not into it, it sucks your whole impression of the night.

For example, the WORST crowd I have ever witnessed for any concert with any band was seeing Pearl Jam at the Gorge (G.A. lawn). But i'm not going to say Seattle has horrible fans or whatever. Maybe I was just simply in the wrong area and couldn't move around to find a place that was rocking out. I'm sure some places were.

There were plenty of places rocking out last night, I'll at least say that much. I was on the bleachers and couldn't put my drink on the floor because the entire seating section was moving so much from people jumping that it would immediately tip over.

Sorry to anyone who had a lackluster few people around.
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Zoso wrote:
    the only thing that annoyed me was when we heard people behind us complain when just breath and the end was played haha. I mean cmon you don't like them shut up and sit through them or as ed said go take a piss. I had a great time stand, sit whatever just enjoy the show... and enjoy the show we did! Thanks Pearl Jam.
    wow thats sad

i thought the end and just breathe were amazing
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Had not been able to catch a show since 2001. Drove 7 hours w/o a ticket. Scalpers were asking high dollar. But 10C members get the props as the best fans! Thank you! :D As for the show... awesome and unforgettable. To see them in that arena with the history of both is chilling - in its good form. The band is professional, tight, and relentless - 3.5 hours!? :shock: The hits were excellent but (to me) the highlights were what I didn't expect: Pilate, Bugs, Crown of Thorns, and an absolutely blistering version of Porch. The Whip It cover was well-done and provided some good comedic relief. The slower/mellower set showed the spectrum :roll: of their songwriting ability and was excellent, as well. The fans around me were all on good behavior and vocal for the duration, although some did appear start running out of gas (including myself). It was a long day (or days) and I'm sure almost everyone was exhausted by the end. What a tremendous performance by a great band that paid tribute to a great venue. Thankful to live in a time where they're recording and performing. Thanks to all the band, the fans, Philly, and the Spectrum! Incredible!
  • Options
    merlin401 wrote:
    This really was the perfect way to close out the building. The guys pulled out ALL the stops (and I do mean ALL the stops). Eddie was really a trooper too. He hurt himself pretty bad at the beginning of Porch when he smashed his face into the microphone stand on the first word of the song and gutted it out (with the help of some singing). But he was bleeding and was holding his mouth/getting ice (or soemthing) form a fan during any moment he could during that song.

But I'll say this also: There's a select group of shows in the Pantheon of Legendary Pearl Jam shows (Randalls Island, State College, MSG, Philly 05, SD 06, Gorge, Mansfield III, SD 06, Grand Rapids, just a few more)

The guys put an incredible amount of effort into making this a legendary show. And it was. It was a tremendous spectacle. The balloons, the streamers, the costumes, the rarities, the first time played, the length. Incredible.

But Philly III the night before required no effort to be legendary. That was just perfection all around from the fans, the band, the set list, everything.

Tonight was a legendary Pearl Jam event. The night before was a legendary Pearl Jam concert. Had to be there both days to believe it!

This summarizes my experience of the two concerts I attended perfectly. I had the privilege of being at one of the other Pantheon shows mentioned above (Mansfield 3) and Philly 4 topped that for me. But Philly 3 topped any concert experience I have ever had. Now, in all fairness, I was sitting in lottery seats for Philly 3 and was up in 413 for Halloween and that obviously vastly changed my experience. Even so, I think merlin401 really nailed the difference between these 2 incredible experiences.

Just a few words about the crowd. I usually hate when people whine about one crowd being better than another, but I feel compelled to comment on what I saw from 413. The rest of the house really seemed to be rocking out just fine, but my section sucked. Almost everyone sat the whole time, many were on their cell phones throughout the evening, and they barely perked up for anything that wasn't a greatest hit. The whole thing was summed up for me when the woman next to us went to take a pee during "Crown of Thorns"! Did it ruin my enjoyment of the evening? Of course not, but it certainly did not enhance the experience either. I suspect this was because we were up in the nosebleeds away from other 10C members. Again, I am not complaining about 10C seats, PJ, etc. because I would not trade the experience of being in the house for this show, but the intensity from my section was definitely subpar. I felt like the band deserved better from the crowd in my immediate vicinity anyway.
    96: 10-2 Hartford
    03: 7-11 Mansfield 3
    04: 9-28 Boston 1
    08: 6-28 Mansfield 1
    09: 10-30 Philly 3, 10-31 Philly 4
    10: 5-15 Hartford, 5-17 Boston
    11: 9-3 Alpine Valley, 9-4 Alpine Valley
    13: 10-15 Worcester 1, 10-16 Worcester 2, 10-25 Hartford
    16: 4-29 Philly 2, 5-1 MSG 1, 8-5 Fenway 1, 8-7 Fenway 2
    18: 9-2 Fenway 1, 9-4 Fenway 2
    21: 9-26 Ohana
    22: 5-6 LA, 5-7 LA, 5-16 Fresno
    EV SOLO: 8-2-08 Boston 2, 6-8-09 Albany 1, 6-15-11 Providence, 6-16-11 Boston, 6-18-11 Hartford, 11-1-12 Las Vegas
    Tres Mts: 3-27-11 Boston
  • Options
    One of the most memorable moments from last night:

Mike McCready disappears in a hurricane of confetti and comes up rocking out on guitar looking like he has been tarred and feathered by Rip Taylor.
  • Options
    First off, great show. PJ kicked ass for 3.5 hours and played every song that a PJ fan could ever want to hear at a single concert. As for 10C and there ticket procedure/system... GO F*CK yourselves... I was as far away from everything as possible... 400 level, 5th row (second to last). Couldn't see the stage, screens, and couldn't hear anything but the songs. I understand that I sacrificed my seniority a couple of times in the past because I forgot to "re-up" and this is my fault. However, it is RIDICULOUS that I did not know where my seats were until the day of and THEN, I could not even give the seats away to scalpers (in order to upgrade). How is it that I bought these tickets BEFORE they were on LIVENATION or whatever, and still, I am MILES AWAY from the stage. I have several friends who bought them at the normal sale and had great seats (relatively speaking). I would have paid $175-200 per ticket to be lower level for this show without a doubt and I would definitely have done this if I knew where my seats were. **Thank you 10C for ALMOST ruining one of the best concerts ever...** I will, of course, remain a PJ fan for life but 10C is bullsh*t and I will save my yearly dues.

AND PS to all the "Senior" 10C members...you are always the least excited and least animated sections at every show. If someone did not know better, they would think that PJ was actually an opening act based on how "sleepy" the first 30-40 rows looked. BLAH... It should be an open lottery system so you TOOLS can be properly dispersed amongst the crowd.
  • Options
    Sooooo tired. I just got back home from Philly. I can't even put into words how great it was. The energy was amazing,they played all the songs I was hoping to hear and the Devo costumes were great. Hope there's a lot of video and photo's up to see tomorrow.
    Love you
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    first off, and my only rant about seats... i was kind of disappointed that i was in the rafters with 10club. i understood fully when they put it out that more seats were sold than usual, and my number is shitty (brand new account this year :( ), etc.. but i never once thought that they would even secure seats that high (for fanclub...) because, come on, last show ever in the spectrum, and pearl jam, they were sure to sell out no matter what. also, the people in my section were SURPRISE!! not 10club members who bitched about their seats KNOWING what they were getting into in advance.. and they were sitting down.. on their blackberries.. bitching about the phills.. constant updates of the phills.. probably not even real pj fams.. barely moving. STATUES! :? i just wish that i would have known where i was earlier, because comcasttix dropped 200 level seats three days before the show; my friend got some!! ;)

but regardless, i was and still am so thrilled i was in the building because the show was fucking incredible! i've been a fan for years, and knew they would knock out some rare ones tonight... i almost died when BUGS!! was played. for some reason all the silliness in the song makes me feel good. :lol: and to the people bitching about the crowd... i was up wayyyy high and let me tell you, it was great to see the floor really move. it was incredible. i mean sure there were some moments when it was slow, and the slow moments/songs were good breath catchers. (not that my section needed it!) i don't think anything can really top this experience. thank you boys!! you guys are amazing. i, and i'm sure i speak for many, love you for all the effort that was put in to last night to make it as epic as it was. hail, hail!!! :D:D:D i'm going to carry this energy and pj high for days!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Bugs! I told you!!! :lol:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    I must post a longer review of the show tomorrow similar to my San Diego review, but gotta get some sleep sooner or later! :mrgreen:

I came over from Phoenix and boy am I SO glad that I did! The show was awesome! I was able to hear 5 songs that I was desperately hoping to hear! Insignificance, Inside Job, Smile, Glorified G and finally SATAN'S BED!!!

I was also able to hang out for a little bit of time with some of WMMR's DJ's including the awesome Pierre Robert and also Nick who introduced me to the band, without him I would be off saving money on concert tickets and all other kinds of PJ addictions listening to country music! (Whew thanks for introducing me to this band!!)

The Spectrum. What can I say? I had never been to the venue before the FINAL show, but I knew about the history of the building and the relationship that it has with the people of Philadelphia and I am honored to have spent some time with the great people of Philly in closing down the Spectrum!

Unfortunately I had to come straight back to PHX after the show, but I look forward to spending some more quality time with my favorite band and it's spectacular fans in Philly. Maybe next year?

More later....
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Kloddz wrote:
    Bugs! I told you!!! :lol:
    :lol: yes u did
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Great show.
    I don't know why it still blows my mind that people think Pearl Jam is going to change it's spots because it's Halloween, closing a venue, playing a new place, playing a festival, playing MSG etc.. And then they are disappointed...??? What the hell?

I had a blast!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,537
    I was sitting 3rd row in front of Mike and, aside from catching 7 of Mike's pics between the 4 shows, i was also fortunate enough to receive Mike's setlist after this last show. i'll post pics of the setlist when i get the chance,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    kemicskemics Posts: 54
    100 Pacer wrote:
    I was sitting 3rd row in front of Mike and, aside from catching 7 of Mike's pics between the 4 shows, i was also fortunate enough to receive Mike's setlist after this last show. i'll post pics of the setlist when i get the chance,...

We don't need to see Mike's Setlist, we know what it says.

ROCK
    ROCK
    ROCK
    ROCK
    ROCK
    ROCK HARDER
    ROCK
    ROCK
    ROCK
    ROCK
    ROCK
    ROCK HARDER
    ROCK
    ROCK
    ROCK
    ROCK
    BLOW THE CROWD AWAY
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm starring at you the whole fuckin' time." E.V.
  • Options
    First, it was a cool event. They started strong, and then fell off towards the end of the first set, and kicked it back in at the end of the second set and into the encore. The band was a bit "off" for a while. I don't think Mike really got going until the middle of the second set. Setlist was strange - I think they were trying too hard appease BOTH the die-hard 10 clubbers with rare tunes and the Philly sentimentality with sing-alongs. It ended up with a cool mix that should sound cool on the boot, but it didn't really flow well live.

I agree that the crowd was stunningly lame, especially for the last show in such a historic stadium. Having seen quite a few shows there, that place CAN rock. It's not all Philly fans that are the problem, like some here seem to infer. But, while there were some cool, jammin' sections, there wasn't enough energy getting fed back to the band. Section 407 in the nosebleeds was NOT one of those cool sections (I'd be pissed about my 10c seats, but serves me right for waiting 15 years too long to sign up). To the lumps in the seats behind me yelling for Bruce, singing f-ing "Glory Days" and telling my wife and I to sit down - go F yourselves.

But, hey, it was a historic event. We saw some great songs, Ed and the fellas played damn hard, and I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday night.
    The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.
    --Thomas Pynchon, The Crying of Lot 49
  • Options
    Night 4 stands apart from the other three shows in that it contained something for everyone. For those have never seen Pearl Jam before, it contained just about all of their biggest songs (Even Flow, Alive, Black, Jeremy, Porch, Daughter, Small Town, Corduroy, Better Man, Evolution, The Fixer, etc.) and for those who are long time Pearl Jam fans, you got to see some real rarities (Bugs, Sweet Lew, Out of My Mind, Pilate, Crown of Thorns, Smile). Old songs (20 songs from 1995 or earlier), new fresh songs (8 songs from Backspacer). Pearl Jam in Devo costumes, paying Whip It for Halloween. 3 and ½ hour set with 40+ songs. Appropriate send off songs (Why Go, and Last Exit to begin the show and Smile (I miss you already) and Alive late in the show. Streamers, confetti and balloons during RITFW. Finally and most appropriately, the show ended with Yellow Ledbetter/The Star Spangled Banner. I can’t think of a better ending than playing the Star Spangled Banner at the end in Philadelphia, the cradle of liberty.

For those of you who went to all four shows, it may not have been the perfect follow-on show to the other 3 because of all the hits played, but if you had to pick only one Pearl Jam show to see for your entire life, this would be the one.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree 100%
  • Options
    This show was absolutely amazing!! The best thing I have ever seen! I hate that it had to end.
  • Options
    Amazing show..sad that it's over but I will never forget it
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,938
    Hold On wrote:
    Pearl Jam in Devo costumes, paying Whip It for Halloween.

This is completely lost on me - can some body explain? I watched the youtube clip and was even more confused.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Hold On wrote:

This is completely lost on me - can some body explain? I watched the youtube clip and was even more confused.

:shock:
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited November 2009
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Options
    Hold On wrote:

It was Halloween.. They dresses as Devo and played Devo's biggest hit in costume.. What is confusing about that??
    Watch this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw

if you are still confused, then you need more help than a message board :lol:
  • Options
    lol... Not everything has some far out meaning behind it.. It was Halloween and they came out dressed as Devo.. Ed even hinted earlier by wearing a Devo shirt. It was a goof, hilarious as hell to watch, and if people dont "get it" they need to get a sense of humor. lol.. Review to come in a few.. I'm still recovering from the travel. I tried to find the Italian Market they went to on Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia and my GPS put me in a very rough neighborhood. Glad to be back home!
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,938
    I think the confusion is born more out of never hearing of Devo or that song before in my life. :shock:
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    It was a joke designed to make fun of themselves - they played Got Some right after Whip it, which bears a striking resemblance to Devo's gut feeling. Classic moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qcw67KL ... re=related
    (seek to 1:44)
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    DeLukin wrote:
    It was a joke designed to make fun of themselves - they played Got Some right after Whip it, which bears a striking resemblance to Devo's gut feeling. Classic moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qcw67KL ... re=related
    (seek to 1:44)
    :lol: thanks for that..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Where to begin?? Well, I arrived at the venue around 5:15 and picked up my tickets.. SEC 107 Row 9.. OUCH!! I have a pretty decent number (272XXX) So needless to say I was not happy with BACK of the floor.. I didn't get upset.. I figured I'd go in and have a look.. It was even worse than I thought.. In the past I probably would have pitched a fit.. I've finally learned to take the high road.. I simply went back to the 10club window and asked if there was a mistake.. The guy (sorry, didn't catch his name.. beard/phillies shirt) checked the ledger and assured me no mistake was made, told me they were great seats.. I explained to him that me being 5'8 (barely) 3 rows from the very back of the arena floor was not "great" seats.. I told him that I realized how many 10clubbers were here and that I was thankful to even be in the building. I then let him know that I did not expect front and center and asked if he had anything up top.. even nose bleeds.. He then handed me SEC 311 Row 8 and I graciously thanked him... See.. Tenclub ALWAYS comes through for us!! My friend and I then re-entered the arena and found our NEW upgraded/downgraded seats.. This show was not about Pearl Jam or Tenclub.. It was about The Spectrum.. And from my new position it was the perfect vantage point to see her in all her splendor.. The band came out and played Why Go and Last Exit for her.. Then with our help she sang back to them Corduroy.. Let me tell you fellow fans.. You looked and sounded beautiful.. We did the old girl proud.. Forget all the "lame crowd" threads.. from where I stood the place was packed and dripping with love. This was to be my only visit to this beautiful rock and roll artifact before she is no more.. I'm with Ed.. Rome and Greece kept theirs.. Why shouldn't we keep ours?? But alas.. We are America.. We want to be SAFE, COMFORTABLE, and CONVENIENCED.. We are willing to sacrifice Intimacy, History, and Resources so we can get out of a building a little faster and get around a little easier.. Can't stop "progress" so here we were rallying around a campfire singing a few songs to send her off this mortal coil.. No rumoured special guests.. can't say I was disappointed. All in all a very special night at a very special place we all will miss dearly.. Goodbye Spectrum.. You truly were "America's Showplace"
  • Options
    incredible show. i think its hilarious that there are people here bashing the crowd.
    Well, thats just like, your opinion man.
  • Options
    Ok.. At least you didn't break into a complaint on how the cover was lame or some other nonsense - so your post is understandable. The complaints online and off about how there was no special guests or this, that and the next are really starting to get nauseating considering all the thought and hard work the band put into that last show, all week long in philly, and really each every show they play. And.. Who do they do this for? Us! Love you Pearl Jam!