Okay, I'm Gonna Say This...FOOD INC. Related

Comments

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    And does anyone actually believe that the people who made this film don't have their OWN agenda? They just decided out of the kindness of their hearts to make a film that exposes all the evils of the food industry? With no benefit, or profit to them? Please. Talk about naive and uninformed. Next you're going to tell me that the multi-BILLION dollar American Cancer Society actually WANTS to find a cure for Cancer. I'm sure there's some vegenazi foundation behind the scenes, that have a majority sharehold in Kashi or some nonsense.
    exactly.

while it is good that this movie makes people think about where their food comes from, there's an agenda behind it, and some of what is presented is outright false.

people shouldn't take what this movie offers at face value, but rather get educated further rather than listening to just one side. it's all about balance.

i love the band, but when it comes to some issues, they are misguided. just my 2cents.

and yeah, ed, please stop smoking. talk about feeding a huge business monster!
  • I respect and am appreciative that Pearl Jam is wanting us to be aware of what we are eating. I am the Executive Chef at WALKERS in Billings, Montana and I understand the message 100%...this is not new news to me, but still vital information...with that being said, God damn it guys...by you smoking cigarettes, you are promoting and supporting the tobacco industry and all it does to decay the fabric of our country and our citizens, just like the food movie you are encouraging us all to watch and act upon...even the preview you post for us to view on your site mentions the parallels between the modern food producers and the American tobacco companies...Ed, I could fucking care less if you smoke American Spirits, you are still promoting and encouraging this bullshit to your children and mine by doing it...I admire Pearl Jam more than any other band I have ever had the pleasure of listening to, but enough is enough...call me an asshole everyone, fire at will...but I am not wrong, and I know this to be the truth....so...just give me some truth...I just had to say it... :oops:

P.S. I smoked 2 1/2 packs of Marlboro Reds a day for 8 years, had my first puff off a cigarette in the third grade because all my heroes smoked...I haven't had a cigarette or an urge (thank God) for 10 years now...I just quit one day because I was poisoning myself and filling the bank accounts of WEALTHY slave owning families...no regrets here....sorry to be so preachy, just speaking from my own experience...

Also, I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea to sticky this one MODS...there is validity here...

AMEN! Preach it, Brother Snoopy.

And I bet YOU weren't even the lead singer of one of the greatest rock bands in the world, watching and hearing your vocal abilities decay just a little more and more after each passing year of smoking.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A singer who smokes is like a guitarist who spars with a brick wall.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Evergreen wrote:
    zootown wrote:
    Evergreen wrote:
    Good God...people. We live in a free country and last I heard, smoking was legal.

Before you get on a soapbox about insurance and everything else dealing with smoking, maybe you should do some research. I believe obesity related disease is the #1 factor in the USA and it's impact on healthcare is higher.

Another great example....Im not saying that there are not other things that are bad in our society, I take issue when Leathermandi or anyone tries to argue that smoking is only a personal choice; it affects all of us. And if you think the good ole US of A is truly free....wow!

People are arguing because Pearl Jam decided to take a stand and make us aware of something that effects our life and some people tried to invalidate that because Ed smokes, and that is ridiculous.

That is the issue, and the mentality that so many people have in shoving crap down out thoats. Yes, put it out there to make people aware, but do not fucking critize them, tell them they are wrong, or expect them to be role models because they do something that is legal.

There is SOOOO much wrong with this country, I am sure each and everyone of us attributes SOMETHING that is wrong for others or the environment. So, to me, NO ONE has the right to judge and demean someone because he or she smokes.

My problem is with how people approached this.

You know, I am all for not judging others, but if there is ONE TRUTH in this world it is life and death. And I do feel the need to intervene and speak out if some members of our society feel that they have the right to bring on other's untimely suffering and death. Smoking does this. If smoking didn't affect others in such a dramatic and incessant way, then yeah, smoke em. But the reality is that it does. I have NO opinion on this movie, and I really don't care that much if Eddie smokes....but smoking is an inherent "bad" that needs to be regulated.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Ed, I could fucking care less if you smoke American Spirits, you are still promoting and encouraging this bullshit to your children and mine by doing it...I admire Pearl Jam more than any other band I have ever had the pleasure of listening to, but enough is enough...call me an asshole everyone, fire at will...but I am not wrong

Yes you are wrong dude. Eddie is encouraging your kids to smoke because he smokes? Does he say "smoke cigarettes like I do"? That would be encouraging someone to smoke. But he's just as much encouraging people to smoke as he's encouraging people to dress like him or talk like him. If you begin smoking cigarettes because Eddie Vedder does, there's no hope for you in this society anyway because you're going to be influenced by insane things all your life.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    Think for yourself, question authority....
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Has anybody brought up cigs are just as addictive as heroine? Pretty ironic heroine is illegal but cigs are not.
    I’m going to say the ‘s’ word on here… ready?
    The South whole economy was tobacco. It still might be, I dunno. I think that’s why cigs are treated so differently.
    My mom’s a nurse. She knows damn well what can happen to her. But she smokes. She’d wasted money trying everything to quit. I just stand by shaking my head. Nothing will work. At least for her. And here’s the crazy thing, she didn’t start smoking until her 40’s! It was a social thing turned into an anxiety coping mechanism.

So I know it’s hard to quit. Hard isn’t even the right word. So I try to take that into consideration. But to me, smoking is STUPID.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 492
    Another great example....Im not saying that there are not other things that are bad in our society, I take issue when Leathermandi or anyone tries to argue that smoking is only a personal choice; it affects all of us. And if you think the good ole US of A is truly free....wow!

People are arguing because Pearl Jam decided to take a stand and make us aware of something that effects our life and some people tried to invalidate that because Ed smokes, and that is ridiculous.

That is the issue, and the mentality that so many people have in shoving crap down out thoats. Yes, put it out there to make people aware, but do not fucking critize them, tell them they are wrong, or expect them to be role models because they do something that is legal.

There is SOOOO much wrong with this country, I am sure each and everyone of us attributes SOMETHING that is wrong for others or the environment. So, to me, NO ONE has the right to judge and demean someone because he or she smokes.

You know, I am all for not judging others, but if there is ONE TRUTH in this world it is life and death. And I do feel the need to intervene and speak out if some members of our society feel that they have the right to bring on other's untimely suffering and death. Smoking does this. If smoking didn't affect others in such a dramatic and incessant way, then yeah, smoke em. But the reality is that it does. I have NO opinion on this movie, and I really don't care that much if Eddie smokes....but smoking is an inherent "bad" that needs to be regulated.

Stay away from people that smoke and places where you might come in contact with it.
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Ed, I could fucking care less if you smoke American Spirits, you are still promoting and encouraging this bullshit to your children and mine by doing it...I admire Pearl Jam more than any other band I have ever had the pleasure of listening to, but enough is enough...call me an asshole everyone, fire at will...but I am not wrong

Yes you are wrong dude. Eddie is encouraging your kids to smoke because he smokes? Does he say "smoke cigarettes like I do"? That would be encouraging someone to smoke. But he's just as much encouraging people to smoke as he's encouraging people to dress like him or talk like him. If you begin smoking cigarettes because Eddie Vedder does, there's no hope for you in this society anyway because you're going to be influenced by insane things all your life.

So, then, by your rationale, Ed starting to smoke because of Kurt Cobain killing himself(see post mentioning this on the first couple pages of this thread) is a perfectly sane thing to do?

It is human nature to emulate celebrity appearances, behaviors, habits and in many cases, causes...if that was not the case, we would never see celebrity endorsed auctions, every woman in the US wouldn't go out and get a FRIENDS haircut, and we wouldn't be out chasing the latest fashion because so-and-so wears them....OBEY makes a flannel and it is called a VEDDER shirt, for Christ sakes...why???? Because people worship and EMULATE famous people...and it's only $76, what a deal! I know I'm off topic with this last bit, but hey, this thread is all over the place now :lol:

http://www.store13.com/index.php?_a=vie ... ductId=585

Obey-flannel-shirt.jpg
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588

It is human nature to emulate celebrity appearances, behaviors, habits and in many cases, causes...if that was not the case, we would never see celebrity endorsed auctions, every woman in the US wouldn't go out and get a FRIENDS haircut, and we wouldn't be out chasing the latest fashion because so-and-so wears them....OBEY makes a flannel and it is called a VEDDER shirt, for Christ sakes...WHY???? Because people worship and EMULATE famous people...and it's only $76, what a deal!

Obey-flannel-shirt.jpg

WHY??? Because they know people will buy them...If people would stop buying, they will stop making.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • OGT92 wrote:

It is human nature to emulate celebrity appearances, behaviors, habits and in many cases, causes...if that was not the case, we would never see celebrity endorsed auctions, every woman in the US wouldn't go out and get a FRIENDS haircut, and we wouldn't be out chasing the latest fashion because so-and-so wears them....OBEY makes a flannel and it is called a VEDDER shirt, for Christ sakes...WHY???? Because people worship and EMULATE famous people...and it's only $76, what a deal!

Obey-flannel-shirt.jpg

WHY??? Because they know people will buy them...If people would stop buying, they will stop making.

Um, yeah...that's what I said :?
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    And does anyone actually believe that the people who made this film don't have their OWN agenda? They just decided out of the kindness of their hearts to make a film that exposes all the evils of the food industry? With no benefit, or profit to them? Please. Talk about naive and uninformed. Next you're going to tell me that the multi-BILLION dollar American Cancer Society actually WANTS to find a cure for Cancer. I'm sure there's some vegenazi foundation behind the scenes, that have a majority sharehold in Kashi or some nonsense.
    exactly.

while it is good that this movie makes people think about where their food comes from, there's an agenda behind it, and some of what is presented is outright false.

people shouldn't take what this movie offers at face value, but rather get educated further rather than listening to just one side. it's all about balance.

i love the band, but when it comes to some issues, they are misguided. just my 2cents.

So, what is the agenda behind this documentary, you two smarty pants? You seem to think that independant documentaries are filmed with an agenda in mind, yet usually they're made low budget and for the sake of getting info that is NOT readily available through mass media. Why don't you watch before judging the crap out of it.
    demetrios wrote:
    sad thing is these freebie dvds, the words & information it brings, will never make it to the schools. where it should be learned & taught at. it doesn't past school code, cause the fast food chains are the one's who are donating & supplying the schools with their food. the school board can't say shit. money talks.

That's right. The food and health industry is not looking out for our better interests, but rather money. No wonder obesity is a rampant epidemic. But Food, Inc. has an "agenda" behind it.... :roll:
    I do also worry about the movie being thrown into the trash, by fans who don't care. What a shame.
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    $76 for a flannel shirt - fuck me!!! You're joking right?

I made a point of wearing the same flannel shirt and Levis to LA3 that I wore to my first PJ show in 95. I think it cost me $7 Aussie and is still going strong. I had to buy it ten sizes to big to allow for the shrinkage factor, but it's a beauty. Baby blue!

Kinds reminds me of the fashion labels all jumping onboard in the 90s and producing 'Grunge' fashion. Shit for a few years there I was fashionable and didn't even have to try or spend anything like $76 on a shirt. In 94 I could have replaced my entire wardrobe for $76!!!
  • B-RyeB-Rye Posts: 130
    Evergreen wrote:

Stay away from people that smoke and places where you might come in contact with it.

Seriously? That's some backward logic....

I get the reasoning behind wanting to be free to do what you want with your body, with regards to smoking, there are times when it is socially responsible to have laws or statutes in place to give further incentives to society to make the right choice. If you truly feel that there shouldn't be any laws or guidlines regarding things of this nature (seatbelts, smoking, whatever) that is leaning towards classical conservatism and a free market governed society ironically enough.

Regardless on the legalities of weather or not you should be free to harm yourself if you want, as soon as that harm extends to others who have no choice, or if it negatively effects others (ie...non smokers have to avoid public places where people smoke) it shouldn't be acceptable. If not due to legal reasons, just out of plain common courtesy.

Also, how did this whole thread turn into the food industry and veganism vs. the tobacco industry? Can't we just agree that smoking is bad AND chemically altered food is bad? (I don't think it is inherently wrong to eat meat however). I think we're allowed to focus on more than one problem at a time in this world.
    There are rules and regualtions in place, at least where I am from. Plus, I don't think I wrote a thing about not wanting regulation.

Where did you get all that from my post? Seriously? You got A LOT out of my one line post.

There are regulations. You have a choice, I have a choice. It is still legal. You can't smoke in bars here, but you can in a designated area. I am not a smoker, so I don't go hang out in the designated area...that is the kind of thing I was talking about.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    exactly.

So, what is the agenda behind this documentary, you two smarty pants? You seem to think that independant documentaries are filmed with an agenda in mind, yet usually they're made low budget and for the sake of getting info that is NOT readily available through mass media. Why don't you watch before judging the crap out of it.
    demetrios wrote:
    sad thing is these freebie dvds, the words & information it brings, will never make it to the schools. where it should be learned & taught at. it doesn't past school code, cause the fast food chains are the one's who are donating & supplying the schools with their food. the school board can't say shit. money talks.

That's right. The food and health industry is not looking out for our better interests, but rather money. No wonder obesity is a rampant epidemic. But Food, Inc. has an "agenda" behind it.... :roll:
    I do also worry about the movie being thrown into the trash, by fans who don't care. What a shame.

It would be naive to think that even low budget documentaries aren't filmed with some kind of bias....think Micheal Moore. Sometimes it is intentional to combat the government/corporate bias and control of information, but you should still be aware of it. I'm not saying that the documentarians intentions are to deceive the masses, they want people to be aware, but the best way to do that is usually highlighting the most glaring issues.

Also it should never be assumed that an entire industry, or single business even, should have any other motivation than profit. That is the nature of the capitalistic society we live in. Good or bad, for capitalism to work, the pursuit of profits must be governed by an unbiased third party (supposedly the government). As it stands now, I doubt many people would argue that the rules of capitalism, so to speak, are governed unbiasedly. I'm ranting...but my main point is that profit seeking isn't inherently bad, it just has to be kept in check and have a proper incentive structure. Remember a business is not an individual and can't be held to the same moral expectations that rational, emotional, thinkers can.
    Evergreen wrote:
    There are rules and regualtions in place, at least where I am from. Plus, I don't think I wrote a thing about not wanting regulation.

Where did you get all that from my post? Seriously? You got A LOT out of my one line post.

There are regulations. You have a choice, I have a choice. It is still legal. You can't smoke in bars here, but you can in a designated area. I am not a smoker, so I don't go hang out in the designated area...that is the kind of thing I was talking about.

Sorry, I didn't mean to infer all that from your post...I just used it as a jumping off point, no offense intended. I tend to ramble too....I'm not aware of the actual regulations where you live, I just remember in Ontario when they started banning smoking in bars and public places, etc, people used to often retort "if you don't like the smoke, don't come close" Having designated areas are great. Anyway, sorry again, no ill intent.
    B-Rye wrote:
    Evergreen wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to infer all that from your post...I just used it as a jumping off point, no offense intended. I tend to ramble too....I'm not aware of the actual regulations where you live, I just remember in Ontario when they started banning smoking in bars and public places, etc, people used to often retort "if you don't like the smoke, don't come close" Having designated areas are great. Anyway, sorry again, no ill intent.

No offense taken...I like to debate.

It has it's ramification, though...sorry. I live in a hippie town in AZ called Cave Creek and it is mostly restaurants and bars...a live music bed. I have seen a few small towns in AZ...Prescott is another one (whiskey row) and places are going out of business because of the smoking ban, sad to say. The town catered to bikers, now people don't have work and have lost businesses, as the towns have lost revenue also.
  • I am surprised that over the course of this thread, no one has brought up anything about Eddie's drinking. He drinks wine heavily on stage at every concert. I am a recovering alcoholic and an ex-smoker and I find the drinking more insidious and as dangerous as smoking. That being said, we are all adults here and changing lifestyles is hard. Eddie can conquer his addictions at whatever pace he chooses. Maybe he will ask us to watch "The Days Of Wine And Roses", or "Leaving Las Vegas", someday.:)
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Evergreen wrote:

evergreen- I respect a person's right to choose just about more than anything else in this country...however, being fed bunk and/or dangerous foods and smoking are two issues that are bigger than individual choice...that's the point I am trying to make in my posts. I am a previous smoker, quit in 92, and yes I do tend to avoid smoky places or designated areas, that is all well and good. But again, I feel impacted by smoking no matter what my personal choices are.....legislation, the environment, inflated medical and insurance costs that are my problem, not just the smokers. Plus, Im sorry, but when a parent who is needed by their family dies at 50 due to smoking related illnesses, then there are victims who had ZERO say over this tragedy being inflicted on them. Dont you think those other family members would have chosen a different outcome than losing their parent or loved one? I am not naive enough to think we need to outlaw smoking, its just not realistic. But it does press my button when I hear someone say "its my personal choice and none of your business" when it comes to smoking....that's bullshit!
    I hold the pain, release me!
    zootown wrote:
    Evergreen wrote:

evergreen- I respect a person's right to choose just about more than anything else in this country...however, being fed bunk and/or dangerous foods and smoking are two issues that are bigger than individual choice...that's the point I am trying to make in my posts. I am a previous smoker, quit in 92, and yes I do tend to avoid smoky places or designated areas, that is all well and good. But again, I feel impacted by smoking no matter what my personal choices are.....legislation, the environment, inflated medical and insurance costs that are my problem, not just the smokers. Plus, Im sorry, but when a parent who is needed by their family dies at 50 due to smoking related illnesses, then there are victims who had ZERO say over this tragedy being inflicted on them. Dont you think those other family members would have chosen a different outcome than losing their parent or loved one? I am not naive enough to think we need to outlaw smoking, its just not realistic. But it does press my button when I hear someone say "its my personal choice and none of your business" when it comes to smoking....that's bullshit!

I lost a love one because of obesity relate diabetes. Just as people have lost loved one from drinking, cars, bungee jumping, extreme skiing, drugs...the list goes on and on. Smoking is a personal choice, just as overeating is.

What do you weigh, where do you shop, what do you drive? Are you a responsible consumer, do you recycle, do you buy American? Do you use plastic at the grocery store, do you use cloth diapers for your baby? What is YOUR corbon footprint? That all effects me also, in the long run. But, I am not going to tell you you are wrong because you drive a (insert name here) or because you eat fritos, because it is your choice.

I am also NOT going to place the burden on people that do unhealthy things with the "role model" thing. That is what is getting me...no one is reading my posts. I am not saying that smoking is good, I am saying it is a choice and while it is a choice people have the right to do so without being critisised, especially when they were putting a good thing out there...Pearl Jam endorsing the movie.
    edited October 2009
    Evergreen wrote:
    I am also NOT going to place the burden on people that do unhealthy things with the "role model" thing. That is what is getting me...no one is reading my posts. I am not saying that smoking is good, I am saying it is a choice and while it is a choice people have the right to do so without being critisised, especially when they were putting a good thing out there...Pearl Jam endorsing the movie.
    I think what it is, is that a lot of fans think that Eddie and whatever vice he may have, he should get over it because he's a public figure AND someone his fans put on a saintly pedestal. Who honestly gives a shit what he wants to do. Smoking may be bad, but we all have choices, and if you don't like his choice, you have the choice of not standing near him when he lights up his cigarette. We're all so judgemental, aren't we.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    this thread makes me want to have a smoke, a glass of wine, and a poterhouse
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Evergreen wrote:
    I think what it is, is that a lot of fans think that Eddie and whatever vice he may have, he should get over it because he's a public figure. Who honestly gives a shit what he wants to do. Smoking may be bad, but we all have choices, and if you don't like his choice, you have the choice of not standing near him when he lights up his cigarette. We're all so judgemental, aren't we.

THAT is exactly what I have been trying to say. I just don't get the "he is influencing my kids" mentality. I choose to smoke (a more "natural" form of a crop) and I drink and that is my choice. God help the person that comes up to me and tells me to stop because i am influencing their kid or making them spend more on health care or something of the such.

Yes, I have tons of passions about the environment, and I will be honest in that I get REALLY ticked off at irresponsible people, or people that don't fucking care and still drive monster cars and use plastic bags, liter our beaches, and on and on and on, but I DO NOT ctritise them, I offset their behavior by volunteering more or donating more...a positive action.

Unless you are perfect in every single way and cause no harm to anyone, eat all home grown food, walk to work, make your own cloths from farm animals you raised and do not have any consumer waste and 0 carbon footprint, then you have no room to judge, as you are doing SOMETHING that effects someone else.
    Post edited by Evergreen on

So, then, by your rationale, Ed starting to smoke because of Kurt Cobain killing himself(see post mentioning this on the first couple pages of this thread) is a perfectly sane thing to do?

It is human nature to emulate celebrity appearances, behaviors, habits and in many cases, causes...if that was not the case, we would never see celebrity endorsed auctions, every woman in the US wouldn't go out and get a FRIENDS haircut, and we wouldn't be out chasing the latest fashion because so-and-so wears them....OBEY makes a flannel and it is called a VEDDER shirt, for Christ sakes...why???? Because people worship and EMULATE famous people...and it's only $76, what a deal! I know I'm off topic with this last bit, but hey, this thread is all over the place now :lol:

Obey-flannel-shirt.jpg

what I'm saying is that it's your responsibility to explain to your children that wearing a flannel shirt makes you looks like a scumbag and that smoking gives you lung cancer. Hell I still remember the first time I saw A Hard Day's Night when I was a kid. Because the Beatles smoke in the film, my dad was sure to tell me that it's it's bad for you because he had the good sense to know that I may think it's "cool" since they did it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,484
    I hope Ed reads this and just considers quitting...
    I hope Ed reads this and thinks "Damn Snoopy, look at this shit storm you've kicked up! :lol: "

People should remember that we are still free to make up our own minds about things.

Speaking as a lifelong non-smoker with only one fully functioning lung, I still believe that people have a choice to put whatever they want into their bodies. If you don't want to smoke it's your choice, you're not being forced to do it. If you want to smoke that's your choice too, nobody should force you to stop. Whatever your choice is, it's important to respect the people who have made the opposite choice. My mum smokes. I have never so much as considered it. A lot of my friends smoke. They don't smoke near me because they know about my lungs and I don't go into the smoking areas in bars when we're out.

Yes Ed is a role model and people look up to him but that doesn't mean that he is perfect. He's a human being and every one of us needs something to help us get through things at some point. Every hero has a weakness. Just think about any of the musicians, actors, public figures that you have admired in your life and try to think of one that is perfect.

Make your own choices, live your own lives, but respect those who may have a different opinion to you instead of starting on an "I'm right/you're wrong" rant about it.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • yataheyatahe Posts: 168
    jecica wrote:
    I love smoking....

I enjoy a casual smoke here and there too.

I think America harps on people who smoke because of the media. Also, nicotine patches and gum is an money making industry. Why arn't there commercials on t.v. warning people against eating fast food that is full of cholesterol and therefor artery clogging (heart disease, strokes, heart attacks)...or "this meat that has alot of unnatural qualities that can aid in cancer and disease".

People are so judgemental sometimes. You don't see people eating "bad" food and hiding behind something because they literally don't want to be seen in fear of being judged by others. I have felt that way in publc before when i had a cigerette in my hand. People are so judgemental and it is hurtful.

Listen, I think the fact is we are all going to die someday and it's like everyone is trying to live forever which in these bodies is not possible. I would rather have a glass of wine a night and smoke a cigerette a day in pure enjoyment (hopefully till im old) than spend my time worrying about every little thing that is going to kill me.

Going back to the original poster. This movie is a good way to educate people on the foods we eat. But to say someone is a hypocrite because they smoke? I don't even think the issue should be what you personally think is good for your body (and therefor is good for everyone else) but the fact that there are people out there knowing the truth about foods and still making them purchasable. I think they (the people promoting this movie) are just wanting the food administration to have a higher standard for people. Same could be said for the chemicals they put in cigerettes but the disclaimer that smoking is bad for you is on the box. In my mind, natural cigerettes are better ( I see some of you shaking your heads)-but i do.

In the defense of the people that feel they have to mass produce food, maybe it is because it is what the people are buying (and the amounts).

This whole subject actually reminds me of that song Hunger Strike. Because if the farmers don't mass produce, for better quality, will that mean prices would go up ? and maybe there would be less supply?

Many different thoughts here, take them or leave them :roll: :P
    *KRISTAL*XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
    http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1434776887
    kristal_007@msn.com
    goldrush wrote:
    People should remember that we are still free to make up our own minds about things.

Speaking as a lifelong non-smoker with only one fully functioning lung, I still believe that people have a choice to put whatever they want into their bodies. If you don't want to smoke it's your choice, you're not being forced to do it. If you want to smoke that's your choice too, nobody should force you to stop. Whatever your choice is, it's important to respect the people who have made the opposite choice. My mum smokes. I have never so much as considered it. A lot of my friends smoke. They don't smoke near me because they know about my lungs and I don't go into the smoking areas in bars when we're out.

Yes Ed is a role model and people look up to him but that doesn't mean that he is perfect. He's a human being and every one of us needs something to help us get through things at some point. Every hero has a weakness. Just think about any of the musicians, actors, public figures that you have admired in your life and try to think of one that is perfect.

Make your own choices, live your own lives, but respect those who may have a different opinion to you instead of starting on an "I'm right/you're wrong" rant about it.

:clap: