Okay, I'm Gonna Say This...FOOD INC. Related

Comments

• JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    When I first started reading internet chatter about Food, Inc. a few months ago, it sounded like an updated and bigger budget The Future Of Food. I have not found the new film online for free yet, so I have not seen it.

The Future Of Food is free for anyone to watch on hulu.com. It's an 88 minute documentary. It has great information. It provides an easy-to-understand overview of the fast and devastating change in world agriculture from independent family farms to techno/pharma corporately owned patents. There's a story of a farmer in Canada who fought Monsanto (and lost) when the chemical company negligently spilled its genetically modified seeds onto his land. Unfortunately, some segments have a woman narrator whose voice will lull the audience to sleep...but if you can stay awake, the film is packed with knowledge that needs to be shared.

Hey, it's FREE!
    I agree. Haven't sen Food, Inc. yet, but The Future of Food is a total eye opener. Very recommended viewing.
  • billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    Jeanwah wrote:
    When I first started reading internet chatter about Food, Inc. a few months ago, it sounded like an updated and bigger budget The Future Of Food. I have not found the new film online for free yet, so I have not seen it.

The Future Of Food is free for anyone to watch on hulu.com. It's an 88 minute documentary. It has great information. It provides an easy-to-understand overview of the fast and devastating change in world agriculture from independent family farms to techno/pharma corporately owned patents. There's a story of a farmer in Canada who fought Monsanto (and lost) when the chemical company negligently spilled its genetically modified seeds onto his land. Unfortunately, some segments have a woman narrator whose voice will lull the audience to sleep...but if you can stay awake, the film is packed with knowledge that needs to be shared.

Hey, it's FREE!
    I agree. Haven't sen Food, Inc. yet, but The Future of Food is a total eye opener. Very recommended viewing.

totally recommended ,should be seen by as many people as possible .It really lets you see where the trends and sources of our food is headed...
  • Lock this thread already.
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• The day I let a band, or some movie help me decide what I should or shouldn't eat will NEVER come. Let people make up their own damn minds. I love how Ed has been SO vocal about being Pro-Choice right from day one. How it's a woman's right to choose what she puts in, or takes out of her own body, but I guess that doesn't apply to food, just babies. ANd for the record, some of the most un-healthiest people I've ever met in my life have been vegetarians, and vegans especially. I'm going to eat whatever the hell I feel like.
  • october22 wrote:
    you have a great point... and you bring up a lot of interesting questions. good post.

Really? Ok, please quote one interesting question.

I might have missed it.

dude, you need to chill... this is the internet, not the playground. life is too short to get so upset about an internet post.

all i meant was, he brought up some interesting questions, (to me, maybe not you) that made me do a 'double take', if you will. sometimes i realize that i stand up for everything that Pearl Jam does as a band and blindly follow them and tell everyone about what they do, and sometimes without a doubt. what the OP did for me, was kind of open my eyes to fact that well hey, they are human too and they also have their own vices. which is totally fine. that's what makes us human. when the OP brought up the fact that the film mentions the parallels between the modern food producers and the American tobacco companies, and how how some of them (PJ) still do smoke, it just put my view of the band in perspective. it didn't change it, or make me hate them, or made me post a thread pointing it out, no, but it once again reaffirmed my suspicions that they are in fact HUMAN.

try to go outside and breathe some fresh air. this internet can get a lil' stuffy sometimes. ;)
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    The day I let a band, or some movie help me decide what I should or shouldn't eat will NEVER come. Let people make up their own damn minds. I love how Ed has been SO vocal about being Pro-Choice right from day one. How it's a woman's right to choose what she puts in, or takes out of her own body, but I guess that doesn't apply to food, just babies. ANd for the record, some of the most un-healthiest people I've ever met in my life have been vegetarians, and vegans especially. I'm going to eat whatever the hell I feel like.

I don't think anyone is telling anyone what to do and what they should eat or not. This film (and others like it) give you the information to enable you to make an informed choice. Some people may not be aware of some practices in the food industry or the consequences of some of the actions of said industry. Maybe if they knew, they may rethink some of their eating/drinking habits. That's all. Info - you do what you want with it.
  • PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    Evergreen wrote:
    "encouraging this bullshit to your children and mine by doing it"

That is ridiculous to state. It is your responsibility to raise you kids and if you are expecting rock stars to be good role models, then maybe re-think what you want your kids exposed to. I am sorry, but I can NOT believe that people give the guy shit about smoking. Just enjoy the music people and leave the other stuff to him. I am sure you have some bad habits and that is ridiculously heavy to be placing that responsibility on Ed.

No one relies on 'rock stars' or any celebrities to be role models for their children, it just happens. If you don't believe it, take a look around this website. How many people saw, and still see Pearl Jam as a role model in some way?

Any celebrity that may be looked up to by anyone, in any way, that also smokes, promotes smoking.
    The day I let a band, or some movie help me decide what I should or shouldn't eat will NEVER come. Let people make up their own damn minds. I love how Ed has been SO vocal about being Pro-Choice right from day one. How it's a woman's right to choose what she puts in, or takes out of her own body, but I guess that doesn't apply to food, just babies. ANd for the record, some of the most un-healthiest people I've ever met in my life have been vegetarians, and vegans especially. I'm going to eat whatever the hell I feel like.
    You've missed the point and you've made yourself look pretty insecure about your eating habits at the same time.

Luckily for you, the band isn't deciding. Instead a band gave you a film made by many people containing information.

Do you make up your own mind on things without getting appropriate knowledge beforehand? Judging by your sadly agressive post I'd say you probably do.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    ed smokes so he and his band cant help promote awareness on a particular subject? or say "hey, check this movie out"? :roll:

if that were so, nobody could share a fucking opinion or take a stand on an issue

come on folks
    my2hands wrote:
    ed smokes so he and his band cant help promote awareness on a particular subject? or say "hey, check this movie out"? :roll:

if that were so, nobody could share a fucking opinion or take a stand on an issue

come on folks
    I understand what you are saying, but you've misunderstood the first post. It's not a case of 'oh you can't preach about issue A because you are a problem in completely-unrelated-issue B'. The original poster said that the changes this video wants to make are similar to the market changes with cigarettes and in both cases it is a health issue at the heart of it. The video says this. Bearing that in mind, it is a little bit ironic that someone promoting this smokes, especially when they are a celebrity looked up to by many (see: here).

It is unfair, no doubt, but that's just how it is.
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I don't understand why people have to be so damn lazy. God gave us the ability to easily grow all the food we need, and control how that food is grown. Screw the grocery stores. You couldn't eat all the food you can grow in just a small section of an average sized back yard. Most plants will keep producing fruit and veggies over and over. It takes very little work, and the reward is some of the best food you've ever eaten.
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I don't know what this food inc business is but.. i swear to god.. . who gives a FUCK if ed smokes? Didn't your mother ever teach you to mind your own? It's not like you see him lighting up on the target commercial. Its something that he does in his private life and it has nothing to do with any of us. There's only been about a bajillion threads already on this subject... Lets be honest here... i know tons of people who get cancer who have never smoked, so whats the real threat of smoking anymore? Why is everyone so focused on a smoke free America when its all a bunch of crazy asses anyhow. Its just like getting in a car.. you MIGHT get in an accident, you may not ..I'm not advocating smoking but i'm not advocating people bitching about it either. You take just as big as a risk as a smoker getting in your car every morning. I don't see how the original poster could do the same thing they are basically bitching about... so yeah, eat healthy, smoke cigs it really doesn't matter.
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,031
    Thing is there are people producing things that are very bad for you which have been exposed, and then there are people who are producing things that are bad for you that most people are not aware of. If you want to take the 'ignorance is bliss' approach then that's up to you, personally I appreciate as much info about what these people are up to in the name of profit as can be made available to me...they want you to stay ignorant so you can be easily exploited after all...
    Nature drunk and High
  • jecica wrote:
    I love smoking....

I said most. :P But I understand.
    i know tons of people who get cancer who have never smoked, so whats the real threat of smoking anymore? Why is everyone so focused on a smoke free America when its all a bunch of crazy asses anyhow.
    Are you serious? Ed COMPLETELY aside here, are you serious about what you're saying about smoking? That because people get cancer without smoking it's pretty much ok to smoke.
    Its just like getting in a car.. you MIGHT get in an accident, you may not ..I'm not advocating smoking but i'm not advocating people bitching about it either. You take just as big as a risk as a smoker getting in your car every morning. I don't see how the original poster could do the same thing they are basically bitching about... so yeah, eat healthy, smoke cigs it really doesn't matter.
    It's nothing like that analogy. If you get in a car, you will not crash. Unless there is an accident. If you smoke, you will harm you body, because that's what it does.

You know cigarette packs don't say 'Smoking can kill' or 'Smoking may kill' they say 'Smoking kills'.
  • And does anyone actually believe that the people who made this film don't have their OWN agenda? They just decided out of the kindness of their hearts to make a film that exposes all the evils of the food industry? With no benefit, or profit to them? Please. Talk about naive and uninformed. Next you're going to tell me that the multi-BILLION dollar American Cancer Society actually WANTS to find a cure for Cancer. I'm sure there's some vegenazi foundation behind the scenes, that have a majority sharehold in Kashi or some nonsense.
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    I don't know what this food inc business is but.. i swear to god.. . who gives a FUCK if ed smokes? Didn't your mother ever teach you to mind your own? It's not like you see him lighting up on the target commercial. Its something that he does in his private life and it has nothing to do with any of us. There's only been about a bajillion threads already on this subject... Lets be honest here... i know tons of people who get cancer who have never smoked, so whats the real threat of smoking anymore? Why is everyone so focused on a smoke free America when its all a bunch of crazy asses anyhow. Its just like getting in a car.. you MIGHT get in an accident, you may not ..I'm not advocating smoking but i'm not advocating people bitching about it either. You take just as big as a risk as a smoker getting in your car every morning. I don't see how the original poster could do the same thing they are basically bitching about... so yeah, eat healthy, smoke cigs it really doesn't matter.

Wow. :shock: I actually do care if Ed smokes only because I happen to believe that smoking has significantly affected his voice...yeah, it's still good, but not great anymore, especially in the higher octaves. Your other points come across amazingly naive (I resisted saying ignorant here). If you truly believe that the smoker himself/herself is the only one who "pays the price" for smoking and big business tobacco, YOU ARE CLUELESS AND NEED TO EDUCATE YOURSELF!. Wow! Im not trying to be rude, but this is something that some 13 year old might say, how old are you?
    I hold the pain, release me!
    zootown wrote:

Wow. :shock: I actually do care if Ed smokes only because I happen to believe that smoking has significantly affected his voice...yeah, it's still good, but not great anymore, especially in the higher octaves. Your other points come across amazingly naive (I resisted saying ignorant here). If you truly believe that the smoker himself/herself is the only one who "pays the price" for smoking and big business tobacco, YOU ARE CLUELESS AND NEED TO EDUCATE YOURSELF!. Wow! Im not trying to be rude, but this is something that some 13 year old might say, how old are you?

First of all, you are being rude. Second of all...So he owes you what you think is his "better" voice? Maybe the smoking has nothing to do with it at all? The voice changes with age. He owes you nothing and i sound like the 13 year old? Instead of calling out a random guy who just so happens to be in a band that you like and and happens to smoke, do something to help cancer victims. Offer to speak at a school about not smoking. If you really gave a shit about whatever you are trying to prove you'd do something other than calling people clueless and uneducated on a band's message board. Pick and choose your battles.There will always be people who smoke and people who don't. Who we should be concerned about is the pharmaceutical companies, you know..the people making millions off of giving people pills that rewires their brains and makes them off themselves? People are aware of and in charge of themselves. If someone wants to smoke, they will smoke. It does not matter if your hero does or if you're mom and her mom does... people are responsible for themselves. I've seen heroin addicts, had heroes who were heroin addicts, so automatically i should have all the interest in the world of trying heroin? Please :roll:
    Leathermandi- you should reread my post. No where in there did I say that Eddie owes me anything....so Im not even sure where your rant was directed, I mentioned Eddie only to make a separate point that I think his voice has been impacted by his incessant smoking. As far as my other points, I stand by them. Smoking affects many more people in this society other than those who smoke, and thank you, I do speak out against it every chance I am ask. Your comparison of driving a car and smoking is totally inaccurate and naive. Yes, they are both dangerous activities...but I think it is safe to say that in many cases and for many people, driving a car is a necessary risk of our society...choosing to smoke, becoming addicted, and then continuing to feed said addiction is far from necessary, wouldn't you agree? Also, comparing heroin addiction and smoking....another ridiculous comparison. Heroin is ILLEGAL last time I checked, much more deadly and not available at the corner gas station....just saying...
    edited October 2009
    zootown wrote:
    Leathermandi- you should reread my post. No where in there did I say that Eddie owes me anything....so Im not even sure where your rant was directed, I mentioned Eddie only to make a separate point that I think his voice has been impacted by his incessant smoking. As far as my other points, I stand by them. Smoking affects many more people in this society other than those who smoke, and thank you, I do speak out against it every chance I am ask. Your comparison of driving a car and smoking is totally inaccurate and naive. Yes, they are both dangerous activities...but I think it is safe to say that in many cases and for many people, driving a car is a necessary risk of our society...choosing to smoke, becoming addicted, and then continuing to feed said addiction is far from necessary, wouldn't you agree? Also, comparing heroin addiction and smoking....another ridiculous comparison. Heroin is ILLEGAL last time I checked, much more deadly and not available at the corner gas station....just saying...

How is my comparison with car accidents and smoking NOT accurate? I bet you any amount that the death tolls from both(car accidents vs smoking cancer victims) are probably near the same. Obviously its a loose comparison, but it did provide me with the point i was trying to make. Why focus on something that will never change? A drug is a drug .. legal or not. I can think of far worse things society does to doom us than smoking. That's all i'm saying and care to ;)
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Plankton wrote:
    my2hands wrote:

come on folks
    I understand what you are saying, but you've misunderstood the first post. It's not a case of 'oh you can't preach about issue A because you are a problem in completely-unrelated-issue B'. The original poster said that the changes this video wants to make are similar to the market changes with cigarettes and in both cases it is a health issue at the heart of it. The video says this. Bearing that in mind, it is a little bit ironic that someone promoting this smokes, especially when they are a celebrity looked up to by many (see: here).

i understood it just fine, actually
  • Has anyone ever seen "FAST FOOD NATION". A very interesting movie. It sounds like its about Fast Food, but its really about illegal immigration and big business...specifically the beef business. I'm curious if anyone else has seen this movie and what they thought.
    Gorge
    edited October 2009
    zootown wrote:

How is my comparison with car accidents and smoking NOT accurate? I bet you any amount that the death tolls from both(car accidents vs smoking cancer victims) are probably near the same. Obviously its a loose comparison, but it did provide me with the point i as trying to make. Why focus on something that will never change? A drug is a drug .. legal or not. I can think of far worse things society does to doom us than smoking. That's all im saying and care to ;)

Glad your wacko reasoning "provides your point" :roll: I sure do enjoy paying inflated insurance premiums because of the billions of dollars spent keeping smokers alive in our medical system. Oh, and I love counseling kids whose parents and grandparents are dead from lung cancer or other smoking-caused diseases. Oh yeah, what about all of those folks who have developed lung problems from breathing second hand smoke-Im sure they would love your reasoning! They have never even smoked a cigarrette! Oh yeah, and those big tobacco companies, they NEVER push any other legislation in Congress that would harm Americans, do they? Now, I bet you could come up with a bunch of other arguments whose point is "_________ is worse or just as bad as smoking"...gee, maybe if you point out all of the other bad things in our society, somehow it will justify smoking as okay. Adios!

PS> Just for fun (and to prove you wrong), according to The Center for Disease Control, tobacco causes more deaths every year in America than AIDS, illegal drug use, suicide, homicide, alcohol use and MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS COMBINED!!!!!. So, I would be happy to accept your bet! :twisted:
    Post edited by zootown on
  • EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 492
    Good God...people. We live in a free country and last I heard, smoking was legal.

Before you get on a soapbox about insurance and everything else dealing with smoking, maybe you should do some research. I believe obesity related disease is the #1 factor in the USA and it's impact on healthcare is higher.
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited October 2009
    The thing we all need to understand...

Whether it is the fast food, GM food, organic, tobacco, alcohol, motor vehicle, pharmaceutical, elective surgury, costmetics, fashion or whatever industry you care to mention, we have massive corporations hell bent on fattening their bottom line at the expense of our health and our finances. Whether is is purchasing toxic foods, dangerous goods or just purchasing something we do not require - these corporations employ a wide range of techniques to appeal to our desires and wants to make us purchase their products - generally under false pretences.

We trust too many of these corporations to do the righ thing and provide us with good products but it is painfully obvious that they present us with choices that are in fact bad. The corruption of our politicians, the media and often science, has allowed these corporations to make massive profits without exposure. The dumbing down, or at best, distraction of our society, has allowed this to happen. Watchdogs are silenced. Whistleblowers are discredited and real individuals suffer. But this doesn't matter just so long as those at the top of the chain are creaming in the rewards and enough drones down the line rely on these practices for their livelyhood.

I find it highly offensive that anyone could possibly be against education or the revelation of the facts. A movie or book that tries to educate is slammed - 'we have the right to choose' they scream. Well do you really? Do you really have the right to choose what goes into your bodies? I can say no to shit food, but do I know what has happened in the manufacturing or farming process in the so-called heathy choice I try to make? I can say no to I can say no to tobacco, but then have to walk behind a smoker on the footpath and breathe in their junk. I can say no to driving dangerously, but then get cleaned up by a drunk driver. I can say no to illegal drugs only to be recommended something legal and far more damaging an addicitve in the name of medicine/health.

I purchase free range eggs and chicken only to find 'free range' can be used provided the chicken gets an extra few inches of wing space in their cage. I purchase 'fresh' fruit and vegetables, only to find the labelling of 'fresh' does not necessarily meet with the dictionary definition of fresh. I purchase cosmetics or clothes from companies who claim not to test on animals to find they purchase research from someone else who does. It fucking stinks and we're all the poorer for it.

Thank you to the film makers and writers who expose the truth. I am a member of a community, not a simple consumer placed on this earth to make another man rich.
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
    Evergreen wrote:
    Good God...people. We live in a free country and last I heard, smoking was legal.

Before you get on a soapbox about insurance and everything else dealing with smoking, maybe you should do some research. I believe obesity related disease is the #1 factor in the USA and it's impact on healthcare is higher.

Another great example....Im not saying that there are not other things that are bad in our society, I take issue when Leathermandi or anyone tries to argue that smoking is only a personal choice; it affects all of us. And if you think the good ole US of A is truly free....wow!
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,577
    what's funny is, it's a freebie dvd & everybody is flipping out. imagine if pearl jam was giving out safe sex dvds. if that would of happened, the world would probably explode or something.

sad thing is these freebie dvds, the words & information it brings, will never make it to the schools. where it should be learned & taught at. it doesn't past school code, cause the fast food chains are the one's who are donating & supplying the schools with their food. the school board can't say shit. money talks.
  • EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 492
    zootown wrote:
    Evergreen wrote:

Another great example....Im not saying that there are not other things that are bad in our society, I take issue when Leathermandi or anyone tries to argue that smoking is only a personal choice; it affects all of us. And if you think the good ole US of A is truly free....wow!

People are arguing because Pearl Jam decided to take a stand and make us aware of something that effects our life and some people tried to invalidate that because Ed smokes, and that is ridiculous.

That is the issue, and the mentality that so many people have in shoving crap down out thoats. Yes, put it out there to make people aware, but do not fucking critize them, tell them they are wrong, or expect them to be role models because they do something that is legal.

There is SOOOO much wrong with this country, I am sure each and everyone of us attributes SOMETHING that is wrong for others or the environment. So, to me, NO ONE has the right to judge and demean someone because he or she smokes.

My problem is with how people approached this.
    my2hands wrote:
    Plankton wrote:
    my2hands wrote:

come on folks

i understood it just fine, actually
    :lol: Alright then. I guess your post was responding to others and not the thread starter.
  • I hope Ed reads this and just considers quitting.

and remember here in Queensland Australia smoking in the stadium will earn him a fine. It's a much nicer place to go out into public places since the laws to ban smoking in most areas came in 8-)
    Bitch Be Cool 8)
    BRISBANE 1998,2003,2006,2009!!!
    Christchurch 2009
    Oh I'm a lucky man to count those I love on two hands

come say hi on facebook http://www.facebook.com/sean.montgomery
    How is my comparison with car accidents and smoking NOT accurate? I bet you any amount that the death tolls from both(car accidents vs smoking cancer victims) are probably near the same. Obviously its a loose comparison, but it did provide me with the point i was trying to make. Why focus on something that will never change? A drug is a drug .. legal or not. I can think of far worse things society does to doom us than smoking. That's all i'm saying and care to ;)

Plankton wrote:
    It's nothing like that analogy. If you get in a car, you will not crash. Unless there is an accident. If you smoke, you will harm you body, because that's what it does.

You know cigarette packs don't say 'Smoking can kill' or 'Smoking may kill' they say 'Smoking kills'.

Honestly, to make that comparison is disgusting because you're playing down the dangers of smoking. You're saying you take a risk rather than simply take something that absolutely has negative outcomes.