Options

Tips for survival for the MSG show!!!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    excellent link to cheap hotels. i will be booking one from this site. most are about half of everything else i looked at. now if i can just find a deal on airfare! Thanks for sharing. See you all there. Countdown to msg.
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    CHOCOLATE SHOW????? Please elaborate, SuzieM :D:D

It's exactly what it sounds like, it's packed full of vendors from all over the world who have anything to do with chocolate (some aren't even available in the US other than during this show). It runs for something like 3-4 days, you pay an entrance fee and go into this huge even space. You can buy chocolate, attend workshops, and of course, taste samples! There's also a fashion show where all the clothing is made of chocolate. Happens once a year.

http://www.chocolateshow.com/
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    i'm from Boston and i'll be the first to say NYC is the shit.fuck all that rivalry shit.it may be fun as far as sports go but beyond that we are all humans and it's only man made imaginary lines that divide us.

I'm fucking hyped,this will be my first time going to MSG!!

I LOVE YOU! I also love Boston, by the way.
    gotjam wrote:
    For those of you receiving visitors... SAY THANK YOU and GOOD MORNING for god's sake. I once saw an old lady fall down in the sidewalk, people would just walk around her. Not even once, in any of the grocery stores, pharmacies etc I got a thank you. Maybe I was just not lucky enough.

Those people were probably tourists!!

Oh, and for some other things to do, I highly recommend the Circle Line tour that goes around the island on a nice day, Top of the Rock, and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. And, there's a ton of free stuff in the summer, so just grab a Time Out New York for the time you're here to get the DL.
  • Options
    Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Tone wrote:
    Really!? That's surprising. It's a myth that New Yorkers are rude and unhelpful... it's the total opposite, IMO. I always stop when I see someone struggling with a map and I've seen others do the same thing. I get stopped and asked questions about recommendations for places to eat, go, shop, where the subway is etc and I always stop and answer.

Absolutely.

This June will my wife and I's 3rd trip to New York City in the last 2 and a half years.....it is hands down our favourite city in the world.

We were completely blown away by how nice and helpful the people of New York have been on our two visits so far. We would often be stood looking puzzled at subway maps and signs and it would not be 30 seconds before someone would stop and ask if they could help us....not us ask them for help, but actually stop and take time out of their day to help us. You would not find that happening in any British city I can think of.

We also found it a really safe city. At first the sheer size was a bit daunting, particularly arriving after dark but once you get your bearings then we felt safer walking around then we would do in London, or even at home in Cardiff.

We found New York to be one the friendliest places we've ever been and one of the main reasons we love it so much. Case in point also, we were there last year for the Halloween parade and my wife being a little bit shorter than myself was having struggle seeing but never once did anyone stand in front of her without checking that she could still see.

My tip for New York would be that although you can play it safe and follow the recommendations made in the Lonely Planet guide, where admittedly there are a lot of good tips to be picked up, but our best finds in NYC have been the places we've come across almost by accident. For the most entertaining breakfast you'll ever have, I recommend the Stardust diner on 51st street and Broadway......it's an unforgettable eating experience which we stumbled upon randomly and went back 3 times in our 5 night stay :)
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    Absolutely.

This June will my wife and I's 3rd trip to New York City in the last 2 and a half years.....it is hands down our favourite city in the world.

We were completely blown away by how nice and helpful the people of New York have been on our two visits so far. We would often be stood looking puzzled at subway maps and signs and it would not be 30 seconds before someone would stop and ask if they could help us....not us ask them for help, but actually stop and take time out of their day to help us. You would not find that happening in any British city I can think of.

We also found it a really safe city. At first the sheer size was a bit daunting, particularly arriving after dark but once you get your bearings then we felt safer walking around then we would do in London, or even at home in Cardiff.

We found New York to be one the friendliest places we've ever been and one of the main reasons we love it so much. Case in point also, we were there last year for the Halloween parade and my wife being a little bit shorter than myself was having struggle seeing but never once did anyone stand in front of her without checking that she could still see.

My tip for New York would be that although you can play it safe and follow the recommendations made in the Lonely Planet guide, where admittedly there are a lot of good tips to be picked up, but our best finds in NYC have been the places we've come across almost by accident. For the most entertaining breakfast you'll ever have, I recommend the Stardust diner on 51st street and Broadway......it's an unforgettable eating experience which we stumbled upon randomly and went back 3 times in our 5 night stay :)

ive lived in ny 22yrs (my age) and have not even scratched the surface of this fine city, so big, so many people to meet, things to do
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I think someone on this thread asked for a good, non-chain record store in NYC.

Academy Records is worth a look.

http://www.academy-records.com

12 W 18th St (West of 5th Ave)
    New York, NY 10011
    (212) 242-3000
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    i like nyc its an incredible city.

its safe, i walked by 4:am from 5th to battery place and no problem at all
    11.09.05 Kitchener