Options

Tips for survival for the MSG show!!!

Comments

• Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    question for everyone who said "there's so much to do in NY." Everyone always says this. but every time I've been there, I've never really done anything. what is there to do that you can't do in any other major city? (and don't say get take-out all night, because that's not "doing" something). This is a serious question, I'm not like ragging on NY or anything, I just don't get it.

For me, it's the combination of so much to do and having it all at your doorstep, and accessible by a subway system that runs for 24 hours that you pay just a mere $2.50 for (less if you have a monthly pass, which I do). I'm not sure if just visiting gets the full experience. I hated NYC when I first visited and by some fluke ended up getting a job here even though I didn't really want to move here but now I love it!

To name a few things:
    US Open by subway
    Bronx Zoo by subway
    Bronx Botanical Garden
    Met
    MoMa
    Lower East Side Tenement Museum
    Central Park
    Big Apple BBQ in Madison Square Park
    Chocolate Show

=)
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    SuzieM wrote:
    Chocolate Show

CHOCOLATE SHOW????? Please elaborate, SuzieM :D:D
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    Oxxys wrote:
    great tip, buying beers in the city is like paying for gas upstate

hmmm... define "pricey"... i'm coming over from London and we're paying something like 3.50 pounds or more for a pint of 'premium' lager...
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    For those of you who are about to visit for the first time, WELCOME from a nice jewish girl born and raised on this little island.
    I would not be worried about being mugged, lol.... stop listening to your red neck, back woods, country parents. This is the greatest city in the world!

Please, one favor to those of us who live here, when you stop to look up at the big tall buildings please dont just suddenly stop..... it jams up the sdiewalks. Please dont block the box..... for the love of god, please dont! You have no idea how much that pisses us off.
    Say thanks to our cops, a good bunch of them would rather be in the show but instead need to patrol so the rest of us stay safe.
    Tip you waiters, they are busting their ass to make a living. 2700 for a studio is a tough nut to crack, they are depending on you.
    Dont littler, I would not throw trash on your front yard, please dont throw it on my cement patch in front of my building.

Take a moment and go downtown. Go visit ground zero. If you have never been you should. No matter how you feel about the current state affairs in the middle east, it will humble you and remiond you that freesom is not free.

Enjoy the show.....
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    For those of you who are about to visit for the first time, WELCOME from a nice jewish girl born and raised on this little island.
    I would not be worried about being mugged, lol.... stop listening to your red neck, back woods, country parents. This is the greatest city in the world!

Please, one favor to those of us who live here, when you stop to look up at the big tall buildings please dont just suddenly stop..... it jams up the sdiewalks. Please dont block the box..... for the love of god, please dont! You have no idea how much that pisses us off.
    Say thanks to our cops, a good bunch of them would rather be in the show but instead need to patrol so the rest of us stay safe.
    Tip you waiters, they are busting their ass to make a living. 2700 for a studio is a tough nut to crack, they are depending on you.
    Dont littler, I would not throw trash on your front yard, please dont throw it on my cement patch in front of my building.

Take a moment and go downtown. Go visit ground zero. If you have never been you should. No matter how you feel about the current state affairs in the middle east, it will humble you and remiond you that freesom is not free.

Enjoy the show.....

Thanks for the advice! But my parents aren't backwoods or country at all. It surprises me that my mom thinks NY is dangerous since I have lived all over the world, but I think all moms worry.

And I agree, it is common sense in ANY city not to just stop and take photos, etc.

But otherwise good advice! :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! But my parents aren't backwoods or country at all. It surprises me that my mom thinks NY is dangerous since I have lived all over the world, but I think all moms worry.

And I agree, it is common sense in ANY city not to just stop and take photos, etc.

But otherwise good advice! :)
    Oh no...... people just stop..... walking walking walking CRASH.... all because Tom the tourist looked up. LOL

Tell your mom to call me. She'll love me and the city when I'm done talking to her!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    Oh no...... people just stop..... walking walking walking CRASH.... all because Tom the tourist looked up. LOL

Tell your mom to call me. She'll love me and the city when I'm done talking to her!

Yep, I hear ya! I am always a fast walker and I HATE when I am going about my business and people just STOP and bust out the camera or map. MOVE OVER people!

I'll have her call ya! ;) heehee
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    Yep, I hear ya! I am always a fast walker and I HATE when I am going about my business and people just STOP and bust out the camera or map. MOVE OVER people!

i hate it when people get to the top of an escalator and...STOP!!!!

and i'm not talking NY here, they do it all the time in London... it's like... i've gone upstairs and i've forgotten what i came up here for...and hey! who are all these people coming up the stairs behind me...?

sheesh! :rolleyes:

but of course i'm really nice and polite and tolerant. ;)

looking forward to my first trip to NY. (checklist... keep moving... don't look up... tip waiters... don't stop at the top of escalators... yada yada)
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options

I'll have her call ya! ;) heehee
    I cant wait....
    you can make a fake name for me if 3inputchick is going to require an explanation :D
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    SuzieM wrote:
    For me, it's the combination of so much to do and having it all at your doorstep, and accessible by a subway system that runs for 24 hours that you pay just a mere $2.50 for (less if you have a monthly pass, which I do). I'm not sure if just visiting gets the full experience. I hated NYC when I first visited and by some fluke ended up getting a job here even though I didn't really want to move here but now I love it!

To name a few things:
    US Open by subway
    Bronx Zoo by subway
    Bronx Botanical Garden
    Met
    MoMa
    Lower East Side Tenement Museum
    Central Park
    Big Apple BBQ in Madison Square Park
    Chocolate Show

=)

Good list.

There really is so much to do here :D
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Check out the Rose Planetarium at the Natural History Museum - best star machine in the world and real 3D Planets - best enjoyed in "enhanced" mode.

Find the hole in the wall deli on a side street near your hotel (trust me, it's there). That's where the cabbies and regular people get their coffee and cheap, simple breakfasts. Save your money for better dining later in the day.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    jrd wrote:
    i hate it when people get to the top of an escalator and...STOP!!!!

and i'm not talking NY here, they do it all the time in London... it's like... i've gone upstairs and i've forgotten what i came up here for...and hey! who are all these people coming up the stairs behind me...?

sheesh! :rolleyes:

but of course i'm really nice and polite and tolerant. ;)
    YEP! EVERYWHERE! Happens ALL the time at the metro stations in Prague too! I wasn't always so polite! :p *PUSH* :p
  • Options
    I cant wait....
    you can make a fake name for me if 3inputchick is going to require an explanation :D

baahaahaa! :D I'll have to come up with an explanation for that! :eek: :p
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206

That made me snort! LMAO! But today, after securing my tix, not even the SATC tour group blocking the sidewalk heading to Magnolia annoyed me ;)

As for cheap places to stay, I'd go with Chelsea Hostel. Cheap and CLEAN! You can get a bed in a share room (some share rooms are only 4 beds) for around $32 a night and a private room for around $80, I believe they're all with shared bathrooms (but the bathrooms are cleaned constantly). Best of all, it's out of midtown madness. You're not here to stay in your room, so I'd always go with a hostel ;)

http://www.chelseahostel.com/
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    I would avoid all of these crazy fans that want evryone sitting down folding your hands togehter and acting like its a seminar. So they can hear Ed.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    gotjamgotjam Posts: 34
    For those of you receiving visitors... SAY THANK YOU and GOOD MORNING for god's sake. I once saw an old lady fall down in the sidewalk, people would just walk around her. Not even once, in any of the grocery stores, pharmacies etc I got a thank you. Maybe I was just not lucky enough.

Enjoy the show.....
  • Options
    gotjam wrote:
    For those of you receiving visitors... SAY THANK YOU and GOOD MORNING for god's sake. I once saw an old lady fall down in the sidewalk, people would just walk around her. Not even once, in any of the grocery stores, pharmacies etc I got a thank you. Maybe I was just not lucky enough.

Really!? That's surprising. It's a myth that New Yorkers are rude and unhelpful... it's the total opposite, IMO. I always stop when I see someone struggling with a map and I've seen others do the same thing. I get stopped and asked questions about recommendations for places to eat, go, shop, where the subway is etc and I always stop and answer.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    I think if you're excited to be coming here, it would be a disappointment to stay in Jersey. It may be a little cheaper, but it's just not the same experience as being in the city.

(just don't block the sidewalks...)
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    manhattan wrote:
    I think if you're excited to be coming here, it would be a disappointment to stay in Jersey. It may be a little cheaper, but it's just not the same experience as being in the city.

I've done both. When I stay in Jersey, its just that I sleep there - I hang out in the city all day. The one drawback is that if you get tired (and you will), its not as easy to go back to your room to rest up before evening activities though you can. I guess it depends on how much NY stuff people want to do besides the show....
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    abyanksabyanks Posts: 59
    this isnt really related too much at all

but did anyone go in 2003 and bring a camera into the garden, it seems with that amount of people itd be hard for them to do or care anything about cameras but ... just wondering
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    manhattan wrote:

definitely dont stay in jersey

definitely dont block the sidewalks most people will run you over, we are a VERY busy city (sarcasm , someone said the world needs more of it)
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    the garden's gonna be sick. hahaha
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    It most certainly will be!
  • Options
    i spoke too soon. i read the first few posts, and you made the poster seem foolish. the rest isn't bad though, i appologize. my other post has been... "blacked out", if you will lol
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    wow that post makes u seem really dumb.

Mugged? WTF r u kidding me?
    pretty much this one.
  • Options
    i spoke too soon. i read the first few posts, and you made the poster seem foolish. the rest isn't bad though, i appologize. my other post has been... "blacked out", if you will lol

Oh right, gotcha ;)
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    my tip is don't were a phillies hat like i will be doing go phils
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    eddiemopeddiemop Posts: 8
    Since everyone seems to be so helpfull here could someone tell me where i can find a good musicstore(no virgin megastore), plaese. Was in NY a few years ago and didn`t find any, but then again I didn`t have the time to search for one eighter:)
    Stockholm 00
    Oslo 00
    Roskilde 00
    Barcelona 06
    Munich 07
    Katowice 07
    London 07
    New York both nights 08
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    eddiemop wrote:
    Since everyone seems to be so helpfull here could someone tell me where i can find a good musicstore(no virgin megastore), plaese. Was in NY a few years ago and didn`t find any, but then again I didn`t have the time to search for one eighter:)

Not too many left... you could try Generation Records on Thompson St or Rebel Rebel on Bleecker St (both in the village). There used to be a couple of good ones on St. Mark's Place in the east village -- not sure if they're still there. If you like obscure indie bands, try Other Music on east 4th St near Broadway.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    gotjam wrote:

Really? That's crazy. I once saw an old woman fall in the street, and me and about 7 or 8 other people immediately rushed over to help her. Of course there are some assholes, but they don't exist only in NYC. Most people here are pretty nice and courteous.
    Tone wrote:
    Really!? That's surprising. It's a myth that New Yorkers are rude and unhelpful... it's the total opposite, IMO. I always stop when I see someone struggling with a map and I've seen others do the same thing. I get stopped and asked questions about recommendations for places to eat, go, shop, where the subway is etc and I always stop and answer.

My experience too.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.