Options

Tips for survival for the MSG show!!!

Comments

• Options
    i'm from Boston and i'll be the first to say NYC is the shit.fuck all that rivalry shit.it may be fun as far as sports go but beyond that we are all humans and it's only man made imaginary lines that divide us.

I'm fucking hyped,this will be my first time going to MSG!!
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Good for you! I'm yet to go to the Prudential Center. How is it?

ill let u know tom. lol

1st time for me

i hear its nice

and watching the postgame after wed. night

the female bartenders look amazing !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    ill let u know tom. lol

1st time for me

i hear its nice

Yum, sexy female bartenders. Enjoy!

First goal, Dawes. 3-2 Rangers victory!
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    yeah but isn't there anything you want to do in any other city? I've been to NY like maybe, I dunno, 5 or 6 times? It's always been fairly boring- I feel like when you go to NY you're just going to do whatever it is you need to do there and get out. it's so big that there's not enough time to actually seek out fun things to do. obviously when you live there the plethora of stuff to do must turn out to be convenient. but for visiting...I've had much more fun in san francisco, seattle, denver, chicago, london, berlin, copenhaagen, paris, and boston. I've enjoyed the architecture and overall landscape much better in many of these cities as well.

If you like fashion, you can find almost any designer store, right in the city. As I haven't been to the other cities you name, perhaps that's true there as well, but my child has quite an interest in fashion,(almost 14 but has been a fashionista since about 8), so just walking on 5th avenue, looking in windows like Versace, Louis Vuitton, and the like sends her into paroxysms of joy.

I don't know. There's just something in the air in New York - it is very intoxicating. I can't explain it.

I am looking forward to being their for Pearl Jam, The Cure, and (for my kid, My Chemical Romance).

I really should get one of those I love NY shirts, even if they are touristy, because I really do love it. They can bury me there.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    JaneNY wrote:
    If you like fashion, you can find almost any designer store, right in the city. As I haven't been to the other cities you name, perhaps that's true there as well, but my child has quite an interest in fashion,(almost 14 but has been a fashionista since about 8), so just walking on 5th avenue, looking in windows like Versace, Louis Vuitton, and the like sends her into paroxysms of joy.

I don't know. There's just something in the air in New York - it is very intoxicating. I can't explain it.

I am looking forward to being their for Pearl Jam, The Cure, and (for my kid, My Chemical Romance).

I really should get one of those I love NY shirts, even if they are touristy, because I really do love it. They can bury me there.

The intoxicating thing in the air is the exhaust from all that traffic :)
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    ill let u know tom. lol

1st time for me

i hear its nice

i hear there is a frozen bar there also.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i dont know what to tell ya ??
    your def. in the minority on this one

that being said we have plenty of tourists so by all means book another city

well I'm just saying I don't get why everyone's always saying it's the most fun place to go (for visiting, I've never lived there, so I don't know what it's like to live there). seems to be an overhyped destination.

haha also, I've never been a "tourist" there. I've gone there for business, to visit people, for various events at columbia, and for pearl jam shows of course. Honestly I don't know what pure tourists do in most american cities. when people come to visit boston for the first time and say they want to site see, I'm at a loss even though I know there is plenty of site seeing. I'm like um...duck tour? freedom trail?
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    It's always been fairly boring- I feel like when you go to NY you're just going to do whatever it is you need to do there and get out. it's so big that there's not enough time to actually seek out fun things to do.

Basically what you're saying is, there is so much to do, I just can't choose and sit bored at my hotel. :rolleyes: Next time, just choose to do some of those things. Just cause you can't do it all, doesn't mean you should do none of it.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    If you like fashion, you can find almost any designer store, right in the city. As I haven't been to the other cities you name, perhaps that's true there as well,

hmm, I dunno. definitely paris and london. definitely not true in boston (well kind of, there's some of that stuff but not a whole lot). but I'm not big into fashion and/or shopping so I haven't really noticed.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Basically what you're saying is, there is so much to do, I just can't choose and sit bored at my hotel. :rolleyes: Next time, just choose to do some of those things. Just cause you can't do it all, doesn't mean you should do none of it.

no that's not it...maybe it's just because if you live as close by as boston the only reason you go there is to take care of something specific. the one time I had a lot of time to kill there was for the MSG '03 shows. There wasn't much to do during the day. I didn't like just wandering around aimlessly there as do in other cities.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    There wasn't much to do during the day. I didn't like just wandering around aimlessly there as do in other cities.

Like I said. Pick something to do if wandering isn't you're thing. There are a million things to choose from. You just weren't looking.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    NYC

lets not forget that smell

cant find that anywhere

newspapers exhaust and urine

IM HOME!
  • Options
    oh and incidentally Green-Wood Cemetary is the 2nd largest Graveyard in the world- second only to some other larger one in France.
    It is also a registered National Landmark.

You have to go out and cease the opportunities as they befall you-
    dont wait around and expect these things to come to you- they are there for the taking.

enjoy.

The only thing anyone needs to prepare themselves for is shaking the stage again as we did in 2003 , for the likes of only Grateful Dead, Iron Maiden , Bruce Springsteen, and of course, Pearl Jam .
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    NYC

cant find that anywhere

IM HOME!

maybe in your neck of the woods-
    nothing but breezy salty ocean air out by me !
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    you'll be fine.

my only suggestion is to pick up booze and pregame in your hotel room. the bars can be a little pricey in midtown.

edit: you don't have a hotel yet. stay in jersey and take the path to 33rd street.

great tip, buying beers in the city is like paying for gas upstate
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    maybe in your neck of the woods-
    nothing but breezy salty ocean air out by me !

That would be the differnce between the rockaways and GCT/midtown!
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,661
    well I'm just saying I don't get why everyone's always saying it's the most fun place to go (for visiting, I've never lived there, so I don't know what it's like to live there). seems to be an overhyped destination.

Bars are open until 4am..... that would be my guess.
  • Options
    I think I'd be more scared to go to Kentucky! just kidding
  • Options
    CrazywormCrazyworm Posts: 27
    Allie wrote:
    I got mugged in broad daylight but that was almost 10 yrs ago. I got my purse snatched in the village on Broadway.

but, and Im guessing the OP is a guy, you sound guy-ish, I think guys don't really have a problem

and it's magnitude...not magnatooooood ;)

here this might help:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04102008/entertainment/how_to_pass_for_a_native_new_yorker_105910.htm
    there are 'cheap' places to eat over there by 34th Street, where MSG is. There's a Chinese buffet. I don't know how healthy it is but it is 'affordable'

and for God's sake, I would not recommend for someone to stay in Jersey

HAHA, you cracked me up..Some words I get stumped on so i just sound them out!!
  • Options
    Didn't read all the posts but I just got back from NYC.

If you fly into JFK, take the Airtrain/Subway into the city. $7 and a good experience.

Also, for cheap thrills I suggest taking the Staten Island Ferry back and forth. It is free and they sell 16 oz. cans of Beck's for $4. You get to see the city from the water, see Lady Liberty, and have a reasonalbly priced can of suds.

Safety is not an issue.
  • Options
    seeing as how im a 5'3 19 year old girl... pretty sure id just yell "FUCK YOU" then run away into a crowd. good thing about nyc is that theres always crowds to hide in

Now THAT is a new youker right there!! You go girl! I will yell and run with you!! We don't want any stinking Massholes in NYC!!

JUst kidding...my best friend is a Mass hole :)
    Pearl Jam
    Houston, 9/5/92, Nacogdoches,11/20/93, Austin, 9/16/95, Dallas, 7/5/98, NYC MSG, 7/8/03, Letterman 10C fan show, 5/4/06, Irving plaza, 5/5/06, Camden 6/1/06, NYC MSG, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    Mansfield, 6/28/08, Austin @ ACL 10/4/09, Newark 5/18/10, MSG 5/21/10, Austin @ ACL 2012

Eddie Vedder
    NYC United Palace Theatre, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, Washington DC, 8/16/08, NYC Beacon Theatre 6/21/2011
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    URthekey wrote:
    Bars are open until 4am..... that would be my guess.

Is it only 4am? I tell ya, I was once in the city for work, so I was leaving my hotel about 6am to catch a NY Waterways shuttle, and I walked past some club where the night was trying to keep going. Some people standing outside in silver lame looked like they'd had a lively night. And this was a Monday morning. The city that never sleeps.

p.s. That leads me to another idea which I've done. You can park in Weehawken, and take the NY Waterways ferry into the city. Then NY Waterways has buses that take you around the main routes to wherever you're trying to go, and that part is free. The parking is pretty cheap. My main thing is I usually avoid bringing my car into the city in some way or another.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    You can also stay in the suburbs outside NYC and take Metro North. You can choose the Harlem or Hudson line, they both take you into Grand Central and I'm sure the hotels would be way cheaper.
    "We were but stones... your life made us stars..."
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Allie wrote:
    and it's magnitude...not magnatooooood ;)

I have been reading through this post only to see if anyone commented on that......thank you ;)
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    What is there to do in NYC?

The most important thing of all of course!

Get the best hot dog ever at Papaya King.
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Get_Right wrote:
    NYC

cant find that anywhere

IM HOME!

and pretzels!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Didn't read all the posts but I just got back from NYC.

If you fly into JFK, take the Airtrain/Subway into the city. $7 and a good experience.

Also, for cheap thrills I suggest taking the Staten Island Ferry back and forth. It is free and they sell 16 oz. cans of Beck's for $4. You get to see the city from the water, see Lady Liberty, and have a reasonalbly priced can of suds.

Safety is not an issue.

great staten island ferry tip. best cheap thrills fur sure.
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    To the original poster: my mom is SO scared about me going to New York! When I got my 10c tickets I called her and mentioned the trip. I thought she was going to start crying on the phone. :eek: It is funny because I have lived all over the world and travelled to places that are probably more dangerous to New York...but you know moms. :rolleyes:

I am SOOOO excited about this trip. It was always my goal to move there straight after university but then I got caught up in travelling and other things so I never made it over even for a visit.

So I CAN'T WAIT!! :D:D

And thanks for all of those who posted links for hotels!
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    To the original poster: my mom is SO scared about me going to New York! When I got my 10c tickets I called her and mentioned the trip. I thought she was going to start crying on the phone. :eek: It is funny because I have lived all over the world and travelled to places that are probably more dangerous to New York...but you know moms. :rolleyes:

I am SOOOO excited about this trip. It was always my goal to move there straight after university but then I got caught up in travelling and other things so I never made it over even for a visit.

So I CAN'T WAIT!! :D:D

And thanks for all of those who posted links for hotels!

maybe this time you'll love it so much you'll stay!!!
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    ogre1213 wrote:
    maybe this time you'll love it so much you'll stay!!!

Maybe! ;) It is on my list of places to move to next year so if I love it, we'll see! :D