Options

Tips for survival for the MSG show!!!

CrazywormCrazyworm Posts: 27
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Im about to travel to NY for both MSG shows, Im Excited!!! Im from Kentucky, so a trip of this magnatoood is a big deal for me. Is there any secrets for a man on a budget, but will come at all cost, even if I have to dress like a bum(so I have less a chance of getting mugged) and sleep on the side of the road..Anywhere cheap to stay for a couple of nights?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    Crazyworm wrote:
    Im about to travel to NY for both MSG shows, Im Excited!!! Im from Kentucky, so a trip of this magnatoood is a big deal for me. Is there any secrets for a man on a budget, but will come at all cost, even if I have to dress like a bum(so I have less a chance of getting mugged) and sleep on the side of the road..Anywhere cheap to stay for a couple of nights?

didn't you hear crime is at an all-time low in new york? bring you best jeans and t-shirt and enjoy the show.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Crazyworm wrote:

Don't worry about getting mugged. I'm from NYC and I guarantee you won't end up in a neighborhood to get mugged. NYC is not dangerous. Just enjoy the sights and the sounds of the big city.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    didn't you hear crime is at an all-time low in new york? bring you best jeans and t-shirt and enjoy the show.

lol some people think we live in iraq lol
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:

Its unreal.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    stay in jersey and take the railroad into Penn Station.

Leave yourself plenty of time, youll be fine.

enjoy the show and enjoy NYC & The Worlds Most Famous Arena .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Its unreal.

it's not like msg is in compton....
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    stay in jersey and take the railroad into Penn Station.

Seriously??

Just find a cheap hotel and stay in the city.
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    wow that post makes u seem really dumb.

Mugged? WTF r u kidding me?
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    you'll be fine.

my only suggestion is to pick up booze and pregame in your hotel room. the bars can be a little pricey in midtown.

edit: you don't have a hotel yet. stay in jersey and take the path to 33rd street.
  • Options
    you'll be fine.

my only suggestion is to pick up booze and pregame in your hotel room. the bars can be a little pricey in midtown.

and get your hot dogs on the street. they're two bucks from the cart, five bucks inside.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options

I was just kidding about that, thanks for calling me dumb though...I was told to stay in the jersey side then train it over was the best thing to do, but how much do cheap hotels run in the city? I cant wait to see the greatest city in the world, Im not scared at all, thanks you guys are great!
  • Options

Wow, that post makes you look kinda ignorant.

Not recognizing sarcasm? WTF r u kidding me?!?!?!?!?!
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Options
  • Options
    I would say stay in Jersey, but the hotels there are all expensive at that time too, I looked. There is all sorts of cheaper hotels in NYC and the subway makes every thing semi close. Look for hotels, when you find a few that are a price in your budget go to tripadvisor.com and see what people have said about the hotel and you can even see pictures that people have taken... It is the best way to make sure you are not staying in a roach motel.

Also dont be scare of NYC, I know there is probably an overwhelming difference between NYC and Kentucky but it is a relatively safe place.

Oh, and to save money. Bring a big cooler. Fill it with sandwich stuff, munchies, and whatever you like to drink. Get to your good spot before you head out to the show: drinks are $7+ and most restaurants are over priced.

and lastly, start saving money now. You also might wanta park in Jersey and take the path over, parking is alittle cheaper there.
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    NY PJ1 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS MADE ME LAUGH FOR A LONG TIME LOLOLOL
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    Oh, and to save money. Bring a big cooler. Fill it with sandwich stuff, munchies, and whatever you like to drink. Get to your good spot before you head out to the show: drinks are $7+ and most restaurants are over priced.

This is probably good advice. Food will definitely be more expensive, but I would at least suggest trying some NYC bagels, and NYC pizza.
  • Options
    I would say stay in Jersey, but the hotels there are all expensive at that time too, I looked. There is all sorts of cheaper hotels in NYC and the subway makes every thing semi close. Look for hotels, when you find a few that are a price in your budget go to tripadvisor.com and see what people have said about the hotel and you can even see pictures that people have taken... It is the best way to make sure you are not staying in a roach motel.

Also dont be scare of NYC, I know there is probably an overwhelming difference between NYC and Kentucky but it is a relatively safe place.

and lastly, start saving money now. You also might wanta park in Jersey and take the path over, parking is alittle cheaper there.

Thank you very much, that is really helpful, and thats exactly what Im gonna do, pearl jam fans are great people, I cant wait till were all in one place at the same time!
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I always thought NY was dangerous (about 20 years ago) until you go there and realize how killer the city is.....so much to do in such little time.

Per capita, Boston is more of a dangerous city.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    Danimal wrote:
    I always thought NY was dangerous (about 20 years ago) until you go there and realize how killer the city is.....so much to do in such little time.

Per capita, Boston is more of a dangerous city.

Cripes, per capita, little old Halifax, NS, Canada (pop. 380,000) has a worse crime rate. There are very few spots in NYC that you can't venture without being surrounded by people, and in midtown area, by cops. I don't live there, but have been many times and have never felt unsafe. That said, I'm sure there are some spot, like any city, where you'd be smart to avoid, especially at a late hour. Just use some common sense ;-)
  • Options
    nuzpapernuzpaper Posts: 211
    I just posted a thread about where I am staying. Budget friendly and in a good area.

http://www.thepodhotel.com/
    Toronto 96, Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Ottawa 05, Toronto 05, Toronto 06, Toronto 06, Denver 06, Denver 06, Chicago 07, New York 08, New York 08...I'm just getting started
  • Options
    sward wrote:
    Cripes, per capita, little old Halifax, NS, Canada (pop. 380,000) has a worse crime rate. There are very few spots in NYC that you can't venture without being surrounded by people, and in midtown area, by cops. I don't live there, but have been many times and have never felt unsafe. That said, I'm sure there are some spot, like any city, where you'd be smart to avoid, especially at a late hour. Just use some common sense ;-)

Yeah I just threw that per capita thing in there for......I actually have no idea why I threw it in there.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    Danimal wrote:
    Yeah I just threw that per capita thing in there for......I actually have no idea why I threw it in there.

Well..I thought you made a good point though. Most people see the sheer size of NYC and assume it's dangerous. As well, as maybe taking in its more violent past, but nowadays..pretty safe. Within reason.
  • Options
    sward wrote:
    Well..I thought you made a good point though. Most people see the sheer size of NYC and assume it's dangerous. As well, as maybe taking in its more violent past, but nowadays..pretty safe. Within reason.

I guess I was just stressing that NYC is a safe place to go. Hmmmm haven't been there is a while....might have to book myself a trip!

• Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    nyc is the greatest city in the world... no questions asked
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    ogre1213 wrote:
    nyc is the greatest city in the world... no questions asked

It's definitely ONE of them. Hhahah.

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    You have a better chance of getting your poster stolen by some insane PJ fan than getting mugged in NYC...

I remember in 2003 my now ex-gf was w/ me and she was sick so I walked to the drug store @ 2am to get her some medicine so she could sleep... I was completely fine and safe...

people just think really bad things when they come to NYC... but really it's a wonderful place and most people are nice... just don't get in their way when they are in a hurry and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778

really, because people who type like that on a regular keyboard make me cringe

u
    r u

drives me insane

and you have the nerve to call him dumb

does anyone know how to converse like an adult these days?
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    really, because people who type like that on a regular keyboard make me cringe

u
    r u

drives me insane

and you have the nerve to call him dumb

does anyone know how to converse like an adult these days?
    Wow, im sorry let me type like im in school for you. It's called internet lingo, and it's a style of writing..
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    question for everyone who said "there's so much to do in NY." Everyone always says this. but every time I've been there, I've never really done anything. what is there to do that you can't do in any other major city? (and don't say get take-out all night, because that's not "doing" something). This is a serious question, I'm not like ragging on NY or anything, I just don't get it.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    I got mugged in broad daylight but that was almost 10 yrs ago. I got my purse snatched in the village on Broadway.

but, and Im guessing the OP is a guy, you sound guy-ish, I think guys don't really have a problem

and it's magnitude...not magnatooooood ;)

here this might help:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04102008/entertainment/how_to_pass_for_a_native_new_yorker_105910.htm
    there are 'cheap' places to eat over there by 34th Street, where MSG is. There's a Chinese buffet. I don't know how healthy it is but it is 'affordable'

and for God's sake, I would not recommend for someone to stay in Jersey
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!