Options

Tips for survival for the MSG show!!!

Comments

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    question for everyone who said "there's so much to do in NY." Everyone always says this. but every time I've been there, I've never really done anything. what is there to do that you can't do in any other major city? (and don't say get take-out all night, because that's not "doing" something). This is a serious question, I'm not like ragging on NY or anything, I just don't get it.

well first thing is every bar is open till at least 5am

last call is 4am ,,then u find the after hours spots and u can party till the afternoon lol
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    well first thing is every bar is open till at least 5am

last call is 4am ,,then u find the after hours spots and u can party till the afternoon lol

that's the best you got? that's basically the same as the argument for being able to get take-out all night.
  • Options
    ReverbReverb Posts: 34
    Crazyworm: This hotel is probably your best bet for Manhattan:
    http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll/qscr=dspv/htid=792443

I doubt you'll find a better place in midtown that includes breakfast for less than the $212 they are quoting for 6/24 right now.
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    My 16 year old daughter and a male friend went into the city to visit friends at Julliard last week. Train in, lunch, show, visit, train out. No problem.

NYC is not only safe, it is fun. The cultural change from one block to the next, as if there is a line there is very cool.

I have been to Kentucky, it is a little different.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    question for everyone who said "there's so much to do in NY." Everyone always says this. but every time I've been there, I've never really done anything. what is there to do that you can't do in any other major city? (and don't say get take-out all night, because that's not "doing" something). This is a serious question, I'm not like ragging on NY or anything, I just don't get it.

Did you leave your hotel room?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    i'm coming to NYC with my Red Sox gear so i probably have more to fear than you! :)
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272

How about all the museums that you can go to. Central park, Riverside park. A sports game. Night clubs, jazz clubs, tons and tons of live music, much of which is high quality. The theater. Just walking around cool places like South St Sea Port. Biking up and down the West Side highway.

If you can't find things to do in the City, than that means you're either not looking, or specifically trying not to do things.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813

maybe youre just looking in the wrong places.

go to the MSG to see other then Pearl Jasm and catch a NYR game live .
    you will see them in the cup finals right before PJ at the Garden- book it now .

try the Green- Wood Cemetary- this place is like a fairytale- right smack in the middle of Brooklyn NYC .
    Southstreet Seaport
    Statue Of Liberty
    Empire State Building
    World Trade Center Site Downtown
    Rockaway Beach NYC
    - the citys largest beach and former stomping grounds of The Ramones
    Timers Square
    A Plethora of Museums and Art Galleries
    as well as Cafes , Bars and Restarauntxs
    Little Italy
    Chinatown
    Keyspan Park Brooklyn NY
    Yankee Stadium
    Shea Stadium

shall i go on ?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    yosi wrote:
    How about all the museums that you can go to. Central park, Riverside park. A sports game. Night clubs, jazz clubs, tons and tons of live music, much of which is high quality. The theater. Just walking around cool places like South St Sea Port. Biking up and down the West Side highway.

If you can't find things to do in the City, than that means you're either not looking, or specifically trying not to do things.

Agreed. Thing is...for me, I just walk from Central Park to Chinatown, and I feel like I've done something. Haha. It's all good. It's the only city I know, where I can just walk aimlessly and have the time of my life.
  • Options
    i'm coming to NYC with my Red Sox gear so i probably have more to fear than you! :)

when i see you i shall have to spit on you =)
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    that's the best you got? that's basically the same as the argument for being able to get take-out all night.

you're always miserable so what would be fun to you?

i gave a stupid answer to a stupid question

what is their to do in nyc?? anything u want
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    Wow, im sorry let me type like im in school for you. It's called internet lingo, and it's a style of writing..

a style of writing

now that's funny.

I think not.

I think you were wrong about insinuating that the original poster sounded dumb.

A person coming to a big city may not be a big deal to you, but it is a whole new experience for this person and he had some questions. There was no need to tell him he sounded dumb.

that's my beef.
  • Options

once you see the size of me you will swallow that spit! :D

but hey,most Yankee fans know how to swallow! :D

(just fucking with ya!))
  • Options
    once you see the size of me you will swallow that spit! :D

but hey,most Yankee fans know how to swallow! :D

(just fucking with ya!))

seeing as how im a 5'3 19 year old girl... pretty sure id just yell "FUCK YOU" then run away into a crowd. good thing about nyc is that theres always crowds to hide in
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    NY PJ1 wrote:

this sums it up
    NYC is the greatest city in the world

everything''s open all night
    you can get any kind of food you want to eat
    go to the clubs,
    go to a concert,
    go shopping
    go to a park or a museum (as others mentioned and listed examples)

go to a sporting event.

Look at Time Out New York or the entertainment listings in the Voice. The energy in this city is like no place else.

and agreed if you can't find something to do that you can't find anywhere else? You're not looking and you don't get it.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    seeing as how im a 5'3 19 year old girl... pretty sure id just yell "FUCK YOU" then run away into a crowd. good thing about nyc is that theres always crowds to hide in

Can't we all just get along! :D
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813

nice girls dont spit
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Allie wrote:
    this sums it up
    NYC is the greatest city in the world

everything''s open all night
    you can get any kind of food you want to eat
    go to the clubs,
    go to a concert,
    go shopping
    go to a park or a museum (as others mentioned and listed examples)

go to a sporting event.

Look at Time Out New York or the entertainment listings in the Voice. The energy in this city is like no place else.

and agreed if you can't find something to do that you can't find anywhere else? You're not looking and you don't get it.

i mean really ... lol

if u stay in your hotel all day,,yea maybe it can get boring :confused:

broadway shows
    all the live music in the village
    shopping in the village
    down by the seaport,,boat cruises

i mean anything at all !!
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    nice girls dont spit

yeah they swallow :D:D:D
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    sward wrote:
    Agreed. Thing is...for me, I just walk from Central Park to Chinatown, and I feel like I've done something. Haha. ..

holy shit thats a LONG walk!!

a few other tips:
    - eat street food. cheap. delicious. try the gyro stall on the southwest corner of MSG (on 8th ave and 31st st). Lamb over rice (5 bucks) is my fav. also try the 2-3 bucks a piece pizzas found on every block.
    - don't even THINK about renting a car or something. Subway and Buses are the way to go.
    - if point A to point B is less than 10 blocks, walk. its safe.
    - buy drinks/liquor beforehand and use a cooler, like someone else said. bars can be pretty expensive.
    - be nice. take it easy. don't stress. try not to have the 'deer in the headlights' look.
    - at any given time, more than half of the crowd around midtown Manhattan are 'tourists'. so feel the tourist vibe, and enjoy the city/show.

:D
    my signature.
  • Options
    p.s. dont take a camera and point it up,, thats when i walk by and knock ya over lol

dam tourists :eek:
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    lol some people think we live in iraq lol

When Dinkins was Mayor, one could make a case :)
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    you're always miserable so what would be fun to you?

i gave a stupid answer to a stupid question

yeah but isn't there anything you want to do in any other city? I've been to NY like maybe, I dunno, 5 or 6 times? It's always been fairly boring- I feel like when you go to NY you're just going to do whatever it is you need to do there and get out. it's so big that there's not enough time to actually seek out fun things to do. obviously when you live there the plethora of stuff to do must turn out to be convenient. but for visiting and just like chilling by yourself or a couple other people...I've had much more fun in san francisco, seattle, denver, chicago, london, berlin, copenhaagen, paris, and boston. I've enjoyed the architecture and overall landscape much better in many of these cities as well. If you go to visit NY, the only things you're going to know about to do are the very obvious, touristy things.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    The cops aren't that bad neither. Me and my friend lost the location of our car and we were looking for it for 6 hours between 9PM-3AM...One cabbie dropped us off at the wrong side of the street, in the W instead of E :mad: ...final one cop who just punched out gave us a ride around Central Park area to find it. We did! I think we got it because of the "West" "East" style named streets- so confusing! :D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    When Dinkins was Mayor, one could make a case :)

touche

i miss those days alittle

selling fireworks in the summer!!

made so much money at a young age and the cops didnt say boo
  • Options
    yeah but isn't there anything you want to do in any other city? I've been to NY like maybe, I dunno, 5 or 6 times? It's always been fairly boring- I feel like when you go to NY you're just going to do whatever it is you need to do there and get out. it's so big that there's not enough time to actually seek out fun things to do. obviously when you live there the plethora of stuff to do must turn out to be convenient. but for visiting...I've had much more fun in san francisco, seattle, denver, chicago, london, berlin, copenhaagen, paris, and boston. I've enjoyed the architecture and overall landscape much better in many of these cities as well.

i dont know what to tell ya ??
    your def. in the minority on this one

that being said we have plenty of tourists so by all means book another city
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    touche

i miss those days alittle

selling fireworks in the summer!!

made so much money at a young age and the cops didnt say boo

By the way, Let's Go Rangers!!!!! Let's make it 2 in a row tonight, baby!!
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    By the way, Let's Go Rangers!!!!! Let's make it 2 in a row tonight, baby!!

YES YES YES

heading to jersey in a few hours :)

p.s. theirs a boring place :eek: lol
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    YES YES YES

heading to jersey in a few hours :)

Good for you! I'm yet to go to the Prudential Center. How is it?
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Not to mention that the area around the Garden will be densely populated with NY's Finest for the night of the shows.
    IMO, NY, especially the neighborhoods you are likely to go to--midtown, Greenwich Village, SOHO, lower Manhattan, upper east and west sides are as safe as any major US city. Maybe more so than some.