Backspacer sales numbers?

Comments

• SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    BF25394 wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:

thanks for posting this. this is what we need to to accurately judge how backspacer sold. could you post other album sales from the last year or so? how much did u2 sell?

What's with frickin Nickleback? Who is their audience? I don't know anybody who listens to them. They truly suck balls.

It's another example of the NCIS Theory. You probably don't know anyone who watches "NCIS," yet it is the most-watched scripted program on television. You can't project based on your own acquaintances, which tend to be self-reinforcing.

But I know like 10 people :)
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,809
    there seems to be a weeks worth of posts gone. Or am I going crazy?
    I miss igotid88
  • Pearl Jam album sales in Italy 2009:

BACKSPACER PEARL JAM 52452 - Year End Charts: #59
    TEN PEARL JAM 21087
    YIELD PEARL JAM 4390
    VITALOGY PEARL JAM 4388
    VS. PEARL JAM 4105
    PEARL JAM PEARL JAM 3789
    NO CODE PEARL JAM 3028
    BINAURAL PEARL JAM 2729
    RIOT ACT PEARL JAM 2482
    LIVE ON TWO LEGS PEARL JAM 2231
    REARVIEWMIRROR (GREATEST HITS 1991-2003) PEARL JAM 1531
    LIVE AT BENAROYA HALL- OCT22, 2003 PEARL JAM 1257
    LOST DOGS PEARL JAM 758
    LIVE AT THE GORGE PEARL JAM 651
    LIVE FROM AUSTRALIA TOUR PEARL JAM 299
    LIVE IN EUROPE PEARL JAM 265
    VS/TEN PEARL JAM 243
  • LIVE IN EUROPE PEARL JAM 265

What ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    I have a question fe those that have an opinion on it: In today's day and age are sales truly an indication of a bands popularity?
    I would argue that attendance at tours is a truer gauge what with torrent downloading and the like.
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• FeiracoFeiraco Posts: 255
    It surprises me in a positive way that Backspacer is #28 in the worldwide Itunes list, 4 months after its release: http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/albums/

It peaked in the first few weeks, and then was positioned at #40 or #50 for a while. The last time I checked was some weeks ago.
    Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017
  • Feiraco wrote:
    It surprises me in a positive way that Backspacer is #28 in the worldwide Itunes list, 4 months after its release: http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/albums/

It peaked in the first few weeks, and then was positioned at #40 or #50 for a while. The last time I checked was some weeks ago.

I'm totally surprised as at how well this album is doing.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,363
    Note that the position of #82 on this week's Billboard 200 translates to sales of about 7,000.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    finally aired the commercial again during the Grammy's.
    I miss igotid88
    I was trying to locate information about the going rate for a 30-second spot on the Grammys, but couldn't find it. Does anyone know?
    BF25394 wrote:
    I was trying to locate information about the going rate for a 30-second spot on the Grammys, but couldn't find it. Does anyone know?

I don't know. But Target sponsored the Grammy's. During that last half-hour about 23 million people watched.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:

I don't know. But Target sponsored the Grammy's. During that last half-hour about 23 million people watched.

That makes more sense. I was thinking that a 30-second spot on the Grammys would go for $300,000 or so, and that there was no way Target would get its investment back. But if Target paid a flat amount to sponsor the whole show, including a certain number of 30-second spots, it makes more sense as an investment of advertising dollars.
    For week of 1/19-1/25, "Backspacer" sold 5,502 units in U.S. Total sales through 1/25 of 473,302.
    Sade's "Soldier Of Love" sold more copies-- 502,000-- in its first week than "Backspacer" has in 21 weeks. Wow. Sade has to be the most under-the-radar big-selling rock act on the planet. They have released eight albums, including six studio albums, and every one has hit the top ten in the U.S. At a time when everyone's sales are in decline, they saw a huge increase in first-week sales over their last album (370,000), which was released before the download boom. Every one of their five previous studio albums is at least triple-platinum.

As you know from my posts, I pay pretty close attention to this kind of stuff for professional and personal reasons. Yet I had no idea about any of what was in that first paragraph until I read it today. Sade-- the Stealth Superstars.
  • Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    BF25394 wrote:
    Sade's "Soldier Of Love" sold more copies-- 502,000-- in its first week than "Backspacer" has in 21 weeks. Wow. Sade has to be the most under-the-radar big-selling rock act on the planet. They have released eight albums, including six studio albums, and every one has hit the top ten in the U.S. At a time when everyone's sales are in decline, they saw a huge increase in first-week sales over their last album (370,000), which was released before the download boom. Every one of their five previous studio albums is at least triple-platinum.

As you know from my posts, I pay pretty close attention to this kind of stuff for professional and personal reasons. Yet I had no idea about any of what was in that first paragraph until I read it today. Sade-- the Stealth Superstars.

umm, Sade is not really a big selling rock act, rather a light "smooth" jazz female vocalist.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    I think Sade is a person, not a group. The reason I think Sade does so well is that older people dig easy listening and that's what she does. Also, older peeps have money and they don't understand downloading singles.

Therefore, they buy the entire CD. Rather than just one or two tunes from it. That's my take anyhow.

So, how did PJ do this week?
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • inlet13 wrote:
    I think Sade is a person, not a group. The reason I think Sade does so well is that older people dig easy listening and that's what she does. Also, older peeps have money and they don't understand downloading singles.

Therefore, they buy the entire CD. Rather than just one or two tunes from it. That's my take anyhow.

Maybe someone is confusing Sade with Slade.
    inlet13 wrote:

Sade is a band named after its lead singer. And, yes, it's not "hard rock," but it is still rock.

I agree with your take on why Sade's album sales have not eroded like most other bands, but it's another thing to actually see a big sales increase in this environment. There are plenty of tech-savvy people in their 30s and 40s who like Sade and who know how to download from iTunes.
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    am i the only one who thinks backspacer isn't selling well?
    it's a better album than their self titled with two solid singles.... self titled produced world wide suicide... the rest were pretty bad for the radio.
    any ideas why it isn't selling as well as the others? is it because they re-released ten back in the spring? could that have dulled the sales a bit?
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    it's a better album than their self titled with two solid singles.... self titled produced world wide suicide... the rest were pretty bad for the radio.
    any ideas why it isn't selling as well as the others? is it because they re-released ten back in the spring? could that have dulled the sales a bit?

I think because Target is the only major retailer it's available at (and who buys cds at Target?) and the lack of promotion. Also, I think a lot of PJ's target audience tends to download songs rather than purchase CDs.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    BF25394 wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:

Sade is a band named after its lead singer. And, yes, it's not "hard rock," but it is still rock.

I agree with your take on why Sade's album sales have not eroded like most other bands, but it's another thing to actually see a big sales increase in this environment. There are plenty of tech-savvy people in their 30s and 40s who like Sade and who know how to download from iTunes.

Sade, rock? Nothing like a little "Smooth Operator" to get me going! :D
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    pjsyco wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:

Sade, rock? Nothing like a little "Smooth Operator" to get me going! :D

Here is the Wiki run down of Sade.

"Sade (pronounced /ʃɑːˈdeɪ/ shah-DAY) is an English R&B band that formed in 1983. The band's music features elements of R&B, soul, jazz, funk and soft rock. The band is named after its British Nigerian lead vocalist, Sade Adu."

I would say R&B defines this group. Rock and Roll..... not so much.
  • J.J. Posts: 41
    BF25394 wrote:

Yeah Sade Adu is the singer that the band is named after. Also it is def not rock, but R&B....

I agree with another poster that the target audience is a bit older and willing to buy cd's plus those that do buy the albums probably aren't hosting them on many torrent sites or trying to get a leak out there for the masses to hear prior to release. Plus a lot of their hits still get a good amount of radio play, these hits span all albums, where as PJ gets the same hits from Ten played over and over with a few from the other albums being sprinkled in mostly on PJ " friendly " radio stations.

I also agree with the Target statement..who the heck buys cd's from Target? They sure aren't my 1st choice. Everything I buy is from my local mom & pop shop..everything else I get from the net! :o)
    edited February 2010
    James Brown, Aretha Franklin, The Coasters, The Supremes, The Drifters, The Temptations, The Four Tops and countless other R&B acts are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Rock is a very broad category. Listen to "Soldier Of Love," Sade's current single. There's no way you can credibly tell me that's not rock.

As long as we're quoting Wikipedia, here is its entry on "rock music":

"The sound of rock often revolves around the guitar back beat laid down by a rhythm section of electric bass guitar, drums, and keyboard instruments such as organ, piano, or, since the 1970s, synthesizers.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, rock music developed different subgenres. When it was blended with folk music it created folk rock, with blues to create blues-rock and with jazz, to create jazz-rock fusion. In the 1970s, rock incorporated influences from soul, funk, and Latin music. Also in the 1970s, rock developed a number of subgenres, such as soft rock, glam rock, heavy metal, hard rock, progressive rock, and punk rock. Rock subgenres that emerged in the 1980s included new wave, hardcore punk and alternative rock. In the 1990s, rock subgenres included grunge, Britpop, indie rock, and nu metal."
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    DS114969 wrote:

I think because Target is the only major retailer it's available at (and who buys cds at Target?) and the lack of promotion.

Bingo.
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    Backspacer has to be closing in on 500,000 sold here in the US. I think the US album sales can be determined a success at this point.

Pearl Jam apparently liked the deal they struck with Target. Some people on here claim that deal has had a negative effect on total sales, but Pearl Jam apparently liked other aspects of the agreement. By today's standards, meaning today's fledgling music industry, I think 500,000 is a success no matter how you decide to distribute the album. Not too many million-sellers these days.

I would've liked to see a Letterman appearance or a Saturday Night Live appearance... a performance of "Just Breathe" on SNL as the song was enjoying radio success might've pushed a few more units. Maybe they'll still do these shows and release another single, who knows? I'm guessing Pearl Jam is completely comfortable with the amount of promotiong they're doing and trying to keep up with the times as far as a way they feel comfortable in distributing future albums.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • J.J. Posts: 41
    BF25394 wrote:
    James Brown, Aretha Franklin, The Coasters, The Supremes, The Drifters, The Temptations, The Four Tops and countless other R&B acts are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Rock is a very broad category. Listen to "Soldier Of Love," Sade's current single. There's no way you can credibly tell me that's not rock.

As long as we're quoting Wikipedia, here is its entry on "rock music":

"The sound of rock often revolves around the guitar back beat laid down by a rhythm section of electric bass guitar, drums, and keyboard instruments such as organ, piano, or, since the 1970s, synthesizers.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, rock music developed different subgenres. When it was blended with folk music it created folk rock, with blues to create blues-rock and with jazz, to create jazz-rock fusion. In the 1970s, rock incorporated influences from soul, funk, and Latin music. Also in the 1970s, rock developed a number of subgenres, such as soft rock, glam rock, heavy metal, hard rock, progressive rock, and punk rock. Rock subgenres that emerged in the 1980s included new wave, hardcore punk and alternative rock. In the 1990s, rock subgenres included grunge, Britpop, indie rock, and nu metal."

Are we arguing about Sade being rock band or making rock music? I am confused here?

I am familiar with the Soldier of love single and when I hear it I don't think rock? That's just me though.. When I think Sade I think older stuff like " your love is king" " smooth operator" " is it a crime" " smooth operator " those are definite RB style tunes, not rock to me, just my opinion though.

If that wasn't directed at me I apologize..it's just your post followed mine and you came out quoting Wiki and I just wasn't sure why..

I am also familiar with the rock and roll hall of fame and it's general purpose for the record. Which is to recognize influential people in the music business whether it be rock act, blues, R&B or shit even producers and engineers.. it would silly to try and have a hall of fame for all genres..wouldn't it?
    J. wrote:

Are we arguing about Sade being rock band or making rock music? I am confused here?

I am familiar with the Soldier of love single and when I hear it I don't think rock? That's just me though.. When I think Sade I think older stuff like " your love is king" " smooth operator" " is it a crime" " smooth operator " those are definite RB style tunes, not rock to me, just my opinion though.

If that wasn't directed at me I apologize..it's just your post followed mine and you came out quoting Wiki and I just wasn't sure why..

I am also familiar with the rock and roll hall of fame and it's general purpose for the record. Which is to recognize influential people in the music business whether it be rock act, blues, R&B or shit even producers and engineers.. it would silly to try and have a hall of fame for all genres..wouldn't it?

It's rock. It's adult rock, but it's still rock.

Your point about the Hall of Fame is my point exactly. "Rock and roll" is an extremely broad category. It basically means "modern popular music" and it encompasses a lot of subgenres.
    wnh1977 wrote:
    Backspacer has to be closing in on 500,000 sold here in the US. I think the US album sales can be determined a success at this point.

Pearl Jam apparently liked the deal they struck with Target. Some people on here claim that deal has had a negative effect on total sales, but Pearl Jam apparently liked other aspects of the agreement. By today's standards, meaning today's fledgling music industry, I think 500,000 is a success no matter how you decide to distribute the album. Not too many million-sellers these days.

I would've liked to see a Letterman appearance or a Saturday Night Live appearance... a performance of "Just Breathe" on SNL as the song was enjoying radio success might've pushed a few more units. Maybe they'll still do these shows and release another single, who knows? I'm guessing Pearl Jam is completely comfortable with the amount of promotiong they're doing and trying to keep up with the times as far as a way they feel comfortable in distributing future albums.

The album is extremely close to 500,000-- it literally could sell its 500,000th copy any day now.

Pearl Jam likes the Target deal because they make money off of it regardless of how the album sells. Target bought a million copies from the band for $5.00 each. The band made $5 million regardless of whether a single consumer ever bought the record. Under a traditional record deal, the band would get roughly $2.00 per unit moved, meaning that they would have to actually sell 2.5 million copies to consumers to make the same money.
    DS114969 wrote:

I think because Target is the only major retailer it's available at (and who buys cds at Target?) and the lack of promotion. Also, I think a lot of PJ's target audience tends to download songs rather than purchase CDs.

As of June 2007, Target was the #5 music retailer in the U.S., behind Wal-Mart, Best Buy, iTunes and Amazon.com (0.1% behind Amazon).

Also, downloads count in the sales total. And something like 75 percent of sales have been of CDs, not downloads. Pearl Jam fans tend to be collectors. They want the physical product and the artwork.