Backspacer sales numbers?

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,366
    It's actually did well as seeing most people just download records now. I don't know many people that still buy music from stores, almost everyone I tell about new music to check out they just go and download it illegally.

I don't know how many times I have to knock this down, but I'll try again. Your assertion is not true. The vast majority of music downloading is done legally via iTunes and similar services. As I have noted before, you probably don't know many people who watch "NCIS," but "NCIS" is the number one show on television. It's not reliable to project widespread patterns of behavior based on your self-selected circle of acquaintances.
    Also isn't the Itunes downloads on another chart? I don't think they count in regular CD sales.

iTunes downloads are included in The Billboard 200.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    BF25394 wrote:
    Let's look at it this way. Let's say its 340,238 like in the other post. Stone remarked that by selling it under the new arrangement, the band gets $5 per copy whereas in the past, it was about $1.50. If you take 340,238 and multiply it by $5, you get just over $1.7 million. Now if you take that $1.7 million and divide it by $1.50, you get 1,134,000. That 1,134,000 is the number of units they would have had to sell under the old arrangements in order to get the same $1.7 million. I think they wisely adapted to a totally different music industry where less qualtity is sold. They wisely upped the rate per unit.

The band's take is not contingent on retail sales, as I understand it. It has been reported that Target bought a million copies wholesale at $5.00 per copy, so the band made $5 million off the record. Target keeps whatever it gets from retail sales. For Target to break even, it needs to sell approximately 417,000 copies at $11.98 per copy. Since the 340,000 in sales includes units purchased directly from the Ten Club, as well as copies sold at independent record stores and on iTunes, it seems like Target is likely to lose money on the deal. Having said that, Target probably viewed the record as a loss leader (i.e., people come to buy the record and end up buying other stuff that they wouldn't have bought at Target otherwise-- everyone who went to Target to buy the CD and said, oh, while I'm here, I need toothpaste or garbage bags or any of the 100,000 other things Target sells). It's the same reason why Best Buy (when it sold CDs) and Wal-Mart deep discount new releases ($17.98 wholesale/$11.98 retail). They want to get you into the store in the hopes that you'll keep shopping while you're there.

Does your Best Buy no longer sell CD's? The one here does and every other one I have been to sells CDs. Hell the one here even has some vinyl it sells.

I was being facetious. They have cut back the space they devote to physical music product.
  • Looks like (hitsdailydouble) there's a pretty good bump for the Thanksgiving week.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,610
    Looks like (hitsdailydouble) there's a pretty good bump for the Thanksgiving week.

about 11k with 54% reporting thus far...
    www.myspace.com
  • GTHobbesGTHobbes Posts: 128
    Which is good enough for #49 on the chart...not bad at all. The bump from the 90s to #49 must be due to Just Breathe catching on. Regardless, it's nice to see.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi
  • GTHobbes wrote:
    Which is good enough for #49 on the chart...not bad at all. The bump from the 90s to #49 must be due to Just Breathe catching on. Regardless, it's nice to see.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

More likely the fact that Target lowered the price to $6.50 for black Friday and Saturday too, I believe.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Final:
    #43 with sales of 24.500 copies.
    Great result!
  • eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    @#43 with almost 25k.....what happened?
  • elderman wrote:
    @#43 with almost 25k.....what happened?

On Sale at Target for $6,50.
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    It sounds like Backspacer had a good bump this week... any idea how many it's sold since released? Is it closing in on 400,000 yet?
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • Around 383.000 copies yet.
    mr.igby wrote:
    Final:
    Great result!

that's a solid bounce back.

i just do not understand why they chose not to do any tv shows around release time. conan 3 months prior? acl 2 months after?

if they would have followed something more similar to avocado's model, they would be gold certified at this point........and that would be WITHOUT working with THE Bruce Dickinson. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    mr.igby wrote:
    Final:
    Great result!

that's a solid bounce back.

i just do not understand why they chose not to do any tv shows around release time. conan 3 months prior? acl 2 months after?

if they would have followed something more similar to avocado's model, they would be gold certified at this point........and that would be WITHOUT working with THE Bruce Dickinson. :lol:

Certification and sales are two different animals. They have already shipped enough copies of the record to be certified gold, perhaps even platinum (if Target really did buy 1 million copies). They have to ask for, and pay for, the certification. Usually, the record company handles this. It's not clear that there's anyone to do this at "Monkeywrench Records."
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    Backspacer officially clocked in at #45 in its tenth week of release on the Billboard 200 chart.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • Just an interesting number:

Out of the 392.964 copies sold from Backspacer, 99.882 were digital album downloads.
    So there were 293.000 physical copies (CD, Vinyl) sold yet.
    mr.igby wrote:
    Out of the 392.964 copies sold from Backspacer, 99.882 were digital album downloads.
    So there were 293.000 physical copies (CD, Vinyl) sold yet.
    Man, where do you get these figures?
    Earlier in the year I noticed "PJ" was coming up to "Binaural" sales, do you have the current ones?
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    it went from 45 to 134 on the Billboard chart :?
  • There used to be someone on here before it became a pay site that would post sales for this week, last and in total for EVERY Pearl Jam release. It included all of the singles and Merkinball, which still sell in small amounts which was awesome to see. I think I got on there by buying old singles at major stores with soundscan.

Maybe the poster got tired of it becuase every one would ask to see the rundown on other favourite bands, but thanks again to whomever it was.

Another thing, how does international sales work? I would love to see worldwide figures.
  • William WallaceWilliam Wallace Posts: 553
    edited December 2009
    elderman wrote:
    Man, where do you get these figures?
    Earlier in the year I noticed "PJ" was coming up to "Binaural" sales, do you have the current ones?

Hi.
    You can find some figures here:
    http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=5

I don't know the Binaural sales, but it should be around 800.000 I guess.
    I know RVM sold 992.610 copies since its release.
    Post edited by William Wallace on
  • Mad Mohab wrote:
    There used to be someone on here before it became a pay site that would post sales for this week, last and in total for EVERY Pearl Jam release. It included all of the singles and Merkinball, which still sell in small amounts which was awesome to see. I think I got on there by buying old singles at major stores with soundscan.

Maybe the poster got tired of it becuase every one would ask to see the rundown on other favourite bands, but thanks again to whomever it was.

Another thing, how does international sales work? I would love to see worldwide figures.

His name was UpHereSoHigh or something like that and he had access to this info based on his job. He changed jobs and lost access to this information. That's my understanding.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
    does anyone know/can post the salese numbers for the other big releases over the past couple years? i'm curious to see how pj stacked up to recent releases of u2, gnr, acdc, coldplay, kings, etc etc etc....

i really don't understand why this info is so tough to obtain.
    www.myspace.com
    does anyone know/can post the salese numbers for the other big releases over the past couple years? i'm curious to see how pj stacked up to recent releases of u2, gnr, acdc, coldplay, kings, etc etc etc....

www.worldwidealbums.net

I thought it was interesting that Pearl Jam did not rank among Pollstar's 50 highest-grossing artists of the decade in terms of revenue from touring. That puts the band's relative popularity in perspective. (By the way, I don't know if they ranked 51st or 100th or 200th-- Pollstar's list didn't go beyond 50.)
  • BF25394 wrote:

I thought it was interesting that Pearl Jam did not rank among Pollstar's 50 highest-grossing artists of the decade in terms of revenue from touring. That puts the band's relative popularity in perspective. (By the way, I don't know if they ranked 51st or 100th or 200th-- Pollstar's list didn't go beyond 50.)

I wouldn't expect Pearl Jam to rank among that top 50. They really don't tour that often and they also keep their ticket prices in check. By comparison, the Dave Matthews Band tours constantly and the Rolling Stones charge $500 a pop for their best seats.
    BF25394 wrote:

I wouldn't expect Pearl Jam to rank among that top 50. They really don't tour that often and they also keep their ticket prices in check. By comparison, the Dave Matthews Band tours constantly and the Rolling Stones charge $500 a pop for their best seats.

And those are reasons why DMB and the Stones would rank ahead of PJ. Those aren't reasons why at least 50 artists would rank ahead of them. I mean, 'N Sync is 18th on the list, and they haven't toured since 2002.

And, by the way, Pearl Jam's tickets have not exactly been cheap for years.
    elderman wrote:

http://www.worldwidealbums.net

what language is that?
    here is what it said for u2:
    U2 No Line On The Horizon 191.295 191.295
    ....? didn't that sell about 191k in its first week?
    www.myspace.com
  • BF25394 wrote:
    And, by the way, Pearl Jam's tickets have not exactly been cheap for years.

Didn't you get the message pit memo? PJ have the most affordable ticket prices around and people would pay double to see them. How dare you question ticket prices with everything the band do for you.

:lol:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,810
    Mad Mohab wrote:
    There used to be someone on here before it became a pay site that would post sales for this week, last and in total for EVERY Pearl Jam release. It included all of the singles and Merkinball, which still sell in small amounts which was awesome to see. I think I got on there by buying old singles at major stores with soundscan.

upheresohigh. but it's always been a pay site. he had access because of his work.
    I miss igotid88
  • C2V3NC2V3N Posts: 449
    Soundscan list for January 2nd 2010.
    (I saw this on some board)

102 PEARL JAM BACKSPACER 14,884 - 418,945

World wide numbers >> http://www.worldwidealbums.net/2009.htm
    Pearl Jam Backspacer 806,000
    one, two, three, four, five against one
    five, five, against one
  • After Backspacer was at #123 on the Billboard charts last week, it made a big jump to #77 this week.
    I don't know if any PJ album before made such a great move.