There's so much vinyl!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I pretty much just buy pearl jam records, but one of my favorite non pj is my siamese dream vinyl.

The records are bright orange, but not a consistant shade of range, it looks pretty cool.

I bought that at a record shop in the late 90's maybe.

Truth is I rarely find time to be at home to spin the vinyl. So if I buy any its mostly for collecting (or if I have the time spin one its pearl jam, or my old ass copy of dark side of the moon).

I listen to most of my musc on my portable player walking to work and back. Doesn't sound nearly as good as vinyl, but its portable :)
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Probably best topic here. My dad has TONS of vinyl and I would listen to them all the time when I was younger. I recently started collecting.

Vitalogy (cousin gave me his when it was first released. Still in PERFECT condition)
    At the Fillmore East - The Allman Brothers Band (first pressed copy)
    Truth - Jeff Beck
    Blow by Blow - Jeff Beck

Both Jeff Beck one's are also first pressed copy. I am on a hunt though to get Pearl Jam's vinyls.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • MK186319MK186319 Posts: 186
    Now days it easier to collect vinyl cause the net, but when i started collecting many years ago, all i had was record conventions, and just a hand full of shops that sold the wax, but know most shops have now extinct where i live, it's me and the net now. if you had the choice of two of the same album do you get the 180gr or the colored? decisions, decisions,?
  • gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    MK186319 wrote:
    gfraser wrote:
    MK186319 wrote:
    Just bought Glaciers six song EP limited to 119 copies on white vinyl, has a silk screened cover as well, if you like Tool, you just might like Glaciers. http://www.omgvinyl.com/

picked this up earlier today also :D

link to the store http://glaciers.bigcartel.com/
    did you get the white or blue? i'm thinking of getting the blue too only 300

only got the white, it sounds like a sweet package. wax sealed, letterpressed belly band! i mean come on :shock:
    This post is © by gfraser
    MK186319 wrote:
    Now days it easier to collect vinyl cause the net, but when i started collecting many years ago, all i had was record conventions, and just a hand full of shops that sold the wax, but know most shops have now extinct where i live, it's me and the net now. if you had the choice of two of the same album do you get the 180gr or the colored? decisions, decisions,?

no question, weight before color! color is for collecting but weight is for spinning.
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Parksy wrote:
    Good thread :)

the last few records I've bought are:

Monsters of Folk

:clap::clap:
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,326
    MK186319 wrote:

Someone already said 'weight before color' but I disagree. Color is cool, average ears can't tell the difference. Stored properly, both will last forever.

(assuming gfraser meant that heavier sounds better)
    MK186319 wrote:

Someone already said 'weight before color' but I disagree. Color is cool, average ears can't tell the difference. Stored properly, both will last forever.

(assuming gfraser meant that heavier sounds better)

yup i was saying that thicker vinyl sounds better, it does on a decent system and average ears can tell for sure. i would go for weight before color any day simply for sound. i dont think colored vinyl is really that cool and to be honest, when i have the option, i usually buy the black vinyl, its much more classic. :)

oh and cant stand picture discs...yuck!
    does anyone remember those 45 single's you used to get in cereal boxes or magazines? they were made out of a thin piece of plastic, but hey! they did play!!!!!!! Those were the days.
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    MK186319 wrote:
    does anyone remember those 45 single's you used to get in cereal boxes or magazines? they were made out of a thin piece of plastic, but hey! they did play!!!!!!! Those were the days.
    OMG yes (I know...showing my age). That's how I got my Sugar Sugar single!!
    :lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    does anyone on here remember (this will really show your age if you do :lol: ) post card records? it was before my time but a guy at work told me about them, you would buy a post card and write your shit on the back but the front side was a record! he said they where really only good for a couple of plays because they where so thin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-Ford-Adv-Postc ... 518d862e63

woooh look at ms clauses short skirt!
    gfraser wrote:
    does anyone on here remember (this will really show your age if you do :lol: ) post card records? it was before my time but a guy at work told me about them, you would buy a post card and write your shit on the back but the front side was a record! he said they where really only good for a couple of plays because they where so thin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-Ford-Adv-Postc ... 518d862e63

woooh look at ms clauses short skirt!
    I'm not that old, i can say I'm younger than Eddie Vedder, that ebay post is cool!!!!!! :lol:
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    ddezso wrote:
    Parksy wrote:
    Good thread :)

the last few records I've bought are:

Monsters of Folk
    Backspacer x 2
    Quadrophenia re-release
    Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
    Tragically Hip - We are the Same
    Wilco - Wilco
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    Jack Johnson - En Concert
    Neil Young - Live @ The FIllmore
    Kings of Leon - Only by the Night

My latest obsession (other than Backspacer of course) is Sky Blue Sky by Wilco. I know it's not their newest but it's their best. I highly recommend...

yeah, sky blue sky was actually the first Wilco album i ever listened to. I have it on CD... very good. Impossible Germany ranks amongst the best songs of all time... IMO.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Cob wrote:
    MK186319 wrote:
    Vinyl is coming Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is so much to buy and so little money, I pre-ordered all Nirvana re-issue's 180 gram colored, Nirvana live at Reading vinyl, DMB, AIC, Dead Weather, and of course PJ Backspacer, i just might order the Foo-Fighters Greatest Hits? What has everyone else been buying? or what are your new editions?

I love the perception that people have that vinyl is "coming back" it never went anywhere, I have been constantly been buying vinyl since I was a kid in the 70's, when cd's came out in the 80's I still bought vinyl, when vinyl became less attractive to consumers in the 90's, it was still available and I still bought it, in fact in the late 90's and early 2000's there were so many re issues on 180G or 200G vinyl it was awesome.

My friends and I have been buying from Music Direct a lot the past 5 or 6 years, the Austin Record Convention comes to town 2 times a year, Half Price Books here in Austin has a pretty good used vinyl selection and Waterloo Records and several other record shops here in Austin have great selection new records, I have Backspacer on cd and I am buying it on vinyl next week, along with MMJ:At Dawn, The Who:Who's Next and one of The Kinks re-issues, either Misfits or Sleepwalker, oh and I just bought a used (2008) Miles Davis Bitches Brew 180G at Waterloo for $15.00 in PERFECT condition, so to me vinyl is not coming back, it never went anywhere to begin with! But I'm glad more people are excited about it again! I have over about 2,000 records and it's been an addiction since I was a kid. :mrgreen:

http://www.musicdirect.com/ I LOVE this site to buy records.

Hello,

No disrespect, but I believe that vinyl IS coming back. At least in the mainstream.

Some examples:
    Green Day re-released their catalogue on vinyl. As did Ben Harper.

The Tragically Hip... after 11 studio albums finally released their latest on vinyl as well.

Box stores are actually beginning to carry vinyl. I was in Best Buy one day and saw a record player on sale as well as like... 8 or 9 records. REALLY not a lot, but it wasn't there the last time I was in Best Buy.

Those are just a couple examples.. not concrete.. but examples.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • a definite bump for the uk release of the first 4 white stripes albums on vinly. I actually spent over an hour looking for a thread but nothing. no biggie i got em all and i must say u r all missing out!!! good luck finding them on sleeze-bay!
  • ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    I started to get all PJ vinyl :)... but I have to admit that a vinyl collection seems very attractive to have and to spin...

I got the Cream Disraeli Gears ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disraeli_Gears ) I do not even know what is inside... it is still sealed and framed in those 45' LP Frames :) . I think it is a classic black disc because it is de Back to Black "collection".

Some of you European guys, French in particular, know where vinyls can be found here in Paris. I've been living here 5 years now, and I cannot find any "indie" music shop :S.

Another question to all of you... do you guys use a regular player for spinning your LPs ? or something more pro in order to get a nice sound ?
    -- rafa
  • Mad MohabMad Mohab Posts: 310
    I sometimes wish tenclub had as good of shipping rates as Subpop, they rock and are super cheap!

Mudhoney Since Weve Become Translucent (clear vinyl)
    Mudhoney The Lucky Ones (with free non album 45)
    Mudhoney EGBDF (coloured vinyl)

All around ten bucks. Add the Green River Tees and kick ass poster, and a Nirvana five dollar sliver 45 and a heap of super cheap Mud 45s and thats what Ive been buying. Also

Oregon Crossing
    Pink Floyd - Zabriskie point reissue (w their best song 'Unknown Song') on glorious vinyl
    Soundgarden - Ultramega OK

Searching for

Mudhoney - Tommorrow Hit Today
    and
    Three Fish - Selt Titled and Quiet Table, both with three extra, non cd tracks, which are incredible. I would be VERY much appreciative if anyone had them digitialized...

Some of you European guys, French in particular, know where vinyls can be found here in Paris. I've been living here 5 years now, and I cannot find any "indie" music shop :S.

Another question to all of you... do you guys use a regular player for spinning your LPs ? or something more pro in order to get a nice sound ?

Any anwser to that? :)
    -- rafa
  • Just picked up

Smashing Pumpkins-Chicago Tapes and Unreleased demos
    The Breeders-Last Splash
    Elvis Costello-The Best of
    Devo-Freedom of Choice
    NIN-The Downward Spiral

Viva!
    just got Twisted Sister 25th ann 180gram bubble gum Pink vinyl w/Poster, can't wait to hang that on my wall, just kidding :lol: !!!!!!!! The 80's rocked!!!!!! :twisted:
    I thikning about getting the upcomming Them Crooked Vultures album on vinyl :)
    -- rafa
  • R-Dub81R-Dub81 Posts: 374
    Glad to know that the vinyl is coming back around in a big way. Here are a few of mine

Straight Up - Tribute to the singer of Snot
    Offspring - conspiracy of one
    Run DMC - Last studio album with all 3 members
    Slipknot - Iowa
    PJ - Avocado & Backspacer (sealed)
    G&R - Chinese Democracy (sealed)
    "Some people think it makes a difference...I think it's the difference that makes it" 

340xxx
    03 - Mansfield 3
    04 - Asheville
    06 - Hartford
    08 - Columbia, MSG 1, MSG 2, Hartford
    10 - Kansas City, Hartford
    12 - Atlanta
    13 - Charlotte
    16 - Columbia
    18 - Boston 2
    I pre-ordered Them Crooked Vultures!!! from Amazon the link from their website is no longer, the vinyl and t-shirt combo, i think it was limited to 500, or thats the vinyl number run, not sure. Great line up for a band.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    MK186319 wrote:
    I pre-ordered Them Crooked Vultures!!! from Amazon the link from their website is no longer, the vinyl and t-shirt combo, i think it was limited to 500, or thats the vinyl number run, not sure. Great line up for a band.

Pre-ordered the vinyl too! Shipping made it a bit pricey. $42.99 was the final cost with shipping... :o
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    MK186319 wrote:

Pre-ordered the vinyl too! Shipping made it a bit pricey. $42.99 was the final cost with shipping... :o

I could not pre-order it :S... hopefully Virgin record might bring some Vinyl here in Paris :) .. I hope :roll:
    -- rafa
    I've just got Sublime premium audiophile 180 grams original packaging :)

Jeeeezzz.... I will need a nice vinyl player for spinning some of those I have already.

What do you guys have??? some kind of pro equipement??? or anything else? any advice?
    -- rafa

Jeeeezzz.... I will need a nice vinyl player for spinning some of those I have already.

What do you guys have??? some kind of pro equipement??? or anything else? any advice?

I have the Pro-Ject debut 3 nice table for being on a budget
    Nirvana 180gm Bleach on white vinyl comes out November 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MK186319 wrote:

I have the Pro-Ject debut 3 nice table for being on a budget

400 buuuuucks ??? :S

something less expensive ??? :?
    -- rafa