Options

Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    I totally understand your point and the ideals behind the deterrence of crimes by way of punitive punishment, however, I think maybe you put a little too much faith in the justice system. You say "if it's nothing more than fishing for cash, the case will get tossed". There are too many cases to count where people get a ridiculous amount of money for ridiculous reasons. The most famous, of course, is the aforementioned McDonald's coffee fiasco. $3 million because that person spilled coffee on themselves? Outrageous.

This could quite literally ruin this guy's entire life, which is not reasonable considering the long-term ramifications for the victims are pretty well non-existent.

I think him resigning is being held accountable, no?

it's a start. but like i said, there's value in teaching a lesson and sending a message. he clearly hasn't learned anything and therin is the problem. and we need to let other people know this is unacceptable.

i rather doubt it's going to come anywhere near ruining his life, and if it does, sorry, im not getting all misty-eyed becos some outdated racist went broke for being a douchebag.

I agree there is value to sending the public a message, absolutely. I missed the part though, where he clearly hasn't learned anything?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I totally understand your point and the ideals behind the deterrence of crimes by way of punitive punishment, however, I think maybe you put a little too much faith in the justice system. You say "if it's nothing more than fishing for cash, the case will get tossed". There are too many cases to count where people get a ridiculous amount of money for ridiculous reasons. The most famous, of course, is the aforementioned McDonald's coffee fiasco. $3 million because that person spilled coffee on themselves? Outrageous.

This could quite literally ruin this guy's entire life, which is not reasonable considering the long-term ramifications for the victims are pretty well non-existent.

I think him resigning is being held accountable, no?

it's a start. but like i said, there's value in teaching a lesson and sending a message. he clearly hasn't learned anything and therin is the problem. and we need to let other people know this is unacceptable.

i rather doubt it's going to come anywhere near ruining his life, and if it does, sorry, im not getting all misty-eyed becos some outdated racist went broke for being a douchebag.

I agree there is value to sending the public a message, absolutely. I missed the part though, where he clearly hasn't learned anything?

he went on national tv to defend his decision and rationalize his choice, then resigned like a coward without ever accepting responsibility or acknowledging any misconduct. i don't think he should be able to resign, grab his state pension check, and walk away without any sort of formal public censure that tells everyone that this kind of behavior is unacceptable in a public official. if louisiana won't do that and he won't own up, then bring on the civil trial.
  • Options

he went on national tv to defend his decision and rationalize his choice, then resigned like a coward without ever accepting responsibility or acknowledging any misconduct. i don't think he should be able to resign, grab his state pension check, and walk away without any sort of formal public censure that tells everyone that this kind of behavior is unacceptable in a public official. if louisiana won't do that and he won't own up, then bring on the civil trial.

shit, that part I did not know. WOW. I'm going to try to find a link to the video. I'm interested in what he had to say to back up his stance.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

shit, that part I did not know. WOW. I'm going to try to find a link to the video. I'm interested in what he had to say to back up his stance.

it was posted in this very thread... he went on tv to defend what he did in an interview. the link is somewhere in the back pages here. and the article about his resignation said it was one sentence and did not even acknowledge the controversy.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    The guy is probably right about the difficulties that children of interracial marriages face, but its not up to him to decide that all such marriages should be avoided. Change has to occur somehow.
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    The guy is probably right about the difficulties that children of interracial marriages face, but its not up to him to decide that all such marriages should be avoided. Change has to occur somehow.
    I think these kids USE to have issues in our society, but not anymore. I find that kids that are of mixed race are so beautiful. Also, how would anyone know they are of mixed race unless the parents go to the school or the neighborhood kids know. In reality, the child most likely wouldn't be the only one, thus accepted.
    I find it hard to believe they would ahve the issues they had 20 years ago.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,190
    johnny i am going to just disagree with you and be done with it. you are still defending this douchebag justice of the peace andi am finished debating you on this topic. you have to have the last word so you can have it. maybe they do things differently in canada, but the guy is a racist and he will pay the penalty and hopefully some hefty damages to this couple. the only way to make him learn a lesson for his discrimination is to hit him where it hurts. his wallet.

AND ONE LAST TIME. I NEVER DEFENDED THIS IDIOT. I MERELY DON'T JUDGE AS QUICKLY AS YOU OBVIOUSLY DO. WHICH MAKES YOU A HYPOCRITE IN THIS SITUATION.

I wanted to know all of the facts before I jumped on the racism bandwagon.

i'm a hypocrate? for wanting social justice for this family? you make me laugh with your namecalling :lol: i already said i don't care if you agree with me or not. you are the one getting your knickers in a twist over this thread and over this JP. i simply said i was done debating with you on this topic. i was going to peruse your 60+ posts in this thread and post them here for all to see that you did defend the guy, but triumphantangel beat me to it. thanks TA for saving me a couple of hours of busywork :D
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    johnny i am going to just disagree with you and be done with it. you are still defending this douchebag justice of the peace andi am finished debating you on this topic. you have to have the last word so you can have it. maybe they do things differently in canada, but the guy is a racist and he will pay the penalty and hopefully some hefty damages to this couple. the only way to make him learn a lesson for his discrimination is to hit him where it hurts. his wallet.

AND ONE LAST TIME. I NEVER DEFENDED THIS IDIOT. I MERELY DON'T JUDGE AS QUICKLY AS YOU OBVIOUSLY DO. WHICH MAKES YOU A HYPOCRITE IN THIS SITUATION.

I wanted to know all of the facts before I jumped on the racism bandwagon.

DOUBLE POST...............
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    johnny i am going to just disagree with you and be done with it.

then be done with it already.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

it was posted in this very thread... he went on tv to defend what he did in an interview. the link is somewhere in the back pages here. and the article about his resignation said it was one sentence and did not even acknowledge the controversy.

oh, I misunderstood. I thought the resignation comment was something other than what I had already read.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

wow, good one.

do you not want to talk about your 60+ posts where you clearly defended the guy?

like i said you have to get the last word.

grow up....

• Options

wow, good one.

do you not want to talk about your 60+ posts where you clearly defended the guy?

like i said you have to get the last word.

grow up....

no, I don't, because we covered that already. I keep trying to be diplomatic about this, and you keep coming back and slamming me for something I said (and then admitted if I was incorrect) 4 days ago. It's over.....like I said, LET IT GO.

what is your illogical obsession with this "last word" shit? I don't have the right to respond to your posts where you call me names? I haven't been defending anyone but myself in the last several posts because you can't do anything but make this personal.

go ahead, I give you the last word, since you're so obsessed with it. Have 18 of em for all I give a shit. This thread is dead anyway. Stop reviving it.

"grow up". oh, gimme, you make me laugh! :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096

don't make assumptions....

and don't believe this until you read the research

from what I have read mixed children don't have a harder time they just have different challenges... no easier or harder

as they get older they are often forced to identify more closely with one race but that is the fault of the social structures in our schools, besides what kid does not have identity issues at some point in life
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    coo coo Crazy Cooter couldn't bring himself to marry this couple... :cry:

You wouldn't let a dog marry a cat would you?! wink and a kiss!!!!

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08