Options

Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Comments

• Options
    NoKNoK Posts: 824
    well, when someone resorts to swearing throughout their post, it seems like they are angry. Please forgive me if that's just the way you speak normally.

Yes, I realize that a psychological disadvantage is no different than a physical one. And your actual point is...?

Hahaha you can try to deflect by accusing me of swearing when I have not swore at you once in my posts but that only suggests you have realised your argument is baseless. Please point me out to the post were I swore throughout.

Well if you do not get this simple point then surely there is no point in explaining it any more. Plus I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings by swearing throughout my explanation.
  • Options
    NoK wrote:
    well, when someone resorts to swearing throughout their post, it seems like they are angry. Please forgive me if that's just the way you speak normally.

Yes, I realize that a psychological disadvantage is no different than a physical one. And your actual point is...?

Hahaha you can try to deflect by accusing me of swearing when I have not swore at you once in my posts but that only suggests you have realised your argument is baseless. Please point me out to the post were I swore throughout.

Well if you do not get this simple point then surely there is no point in explaining it any more. Plus I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings by swearing throughout my explanation.

I don't have time at the moment to check, but maybe I quoted the wrong person. That was not intentional, and my argument is certainly not baseless. But nice try.

ah, nothing like someone getting off track of the actual argument to sling crap. Keep your condescension to yourself next time.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    oh the irony. considering i just finished reading this post.
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SELL-OUT. UNLESS YOU CONSIDER EVERY PERSON ON EARTH THAT COLLECTS A PAYCHEQUE EVERY TWO WEEKS A SELL-OUT, THEN I GUESS YOUR ARGUMENT HAS VALIDITY. HOWEVER, UNLESS YOU ARE UNEMPLOYED, THEN YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE.

Case fookin' closed.
    [/quote]

and the irony here is??? I censored myself, in case you didn't notice. and regardless, this is getting a bit off track people. quoting a seperate thread? some of you are getting desperate for an argument.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    and one last thing. I'm actually trying to have a civilized discussion, and some of you people are turning it into a schoolyard insult-fest. What gives? I don't agree with you so you have to resort to childish discrediting attempts at the person with this garbage?

It's disgusting. :roll:

I'm done with this thread. it's obvious some of you people can't have an adult conversation. And don't resort to the cliche "aw, he realizes he lost the argument, so he's leaving" crap. It's been said a thousand times before, and it's baseless, and most always uttered by the most immature.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    wow...this one is still going...

to be honest I'm shocked that anyone can even attempt to justify this clown's actions...as I said earlier, the "oh, the poor children" argument is stupid and lame...

how does this guy know they will even have children...?

The man doesn't want be part of mixing races...if that's not racist, I really don't know what is...

and to the poster who pulled the "private business" card...yeah, go ahead and try that one at a real business and see how that goes..."No interracial couples served here, thanks Management"...
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    what's that sign posted on many business walls? We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Or something along those lines. I'm not saying it's right, but the guy has seen many interracial marriages fail and doesn't want to contribute to another divorce. Those are his beliefs, he has a right to pick and choose who he marries. The same as people are able to pick and choose who marries them.

If we allow something like this to happen then we might as well turn back the clock to the 1950's. Would you be comfortable with that? Would you Crazy Mary want some business to turn you away for having white teeth and a smile or because you're a woman? Well would you?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,138
    inmytree wrote:
    wow...this one is still going...

My thoughts exactly. In a world of gray...this is about as black and white as you get.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Drunk or interracial...at least he has standards.... :roll:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/1 ... 25758.html
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    Late to the party here, but I echo what others have said. This Judge is an idiot and should be fired. Not really sure about suing him for everything he has, though, since it would be tough to prove that many damages.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Racism is just plan stupid. For many reasons, but the chief among them that everyone is of mixed race.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options

I don't have time at the moment to check, but maybe I quoted the wrong person. That was not intentional, and my argument is certainly not baseless. But nice try.

ah, nothing like someone getting off track of the actual argument to sling crap. Keep your condescension to yourself next time.

So you accept that you were wrong and quoted the wrong person but then you re-accuse me of slinging crap? Seriously, that's about as childish as you can get. You are the one getting off track by trying to play the "pity me" card. Accept and move on.
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    inmytree wrote:
    Drunk or interracial...at least he has standards.... :roll:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/1 ... 25758.html

I can't trust someone who's eyes move so much :shock:
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    NoK wrote:

So you accept that you were wrong and quoted the wrong person but then you re-accuse me of slinging crap? Seriously, that's about as childish as you can get. You are the one getting off track by trying to play the "pity me" card. Accept and move on.

yes, I reaccused you, because you can obviously do nothing else but talk sarcastically to people. calling you out is childish? gimme a break. and where you get this "pity me" bullshit is beyond me.

"Well if you do not get this simple point then surely there is no point in explaining it any more. Plus I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings...."

you are obviously one of those people that can't actually MAKE a simple point, so you resort to such schoolyard antics such as this. Grow up. Welcome to an adult conversation.

Now I'm REALLY outta here.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    edited October 2009
    NoK wrote:

yes, I reaccused you, because you can obviously do nothing else but talk sarcastically to people. calling you out is childish? gimme a break. and where you get this "pity me" bullshit is beyond me.

"Well if you do not get this simple point then surely there is no point in explaining it any more. Plus I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings...."

you are obviously one of those people that can't actually MAKE a simple point, so you resort to such schoolyard antics such as this. Grow up. Welcome to an adult conversation.

Being in an interracial relationship makes me think of the many instances of ignorance I've faced when living in South Florida makes me think of.......This thread, the things said here both positive and negative about KB racist behavoir towards interracial couples compels me to the lyrics in the song by......

RUSH...*WITCH HUNT*

The night is black, without a moon.
    The air is thick and still.
    The vigilantes gather on
    The lonely torchlit hill.

Features distorted in the flickering light,
    Faces are twisted and grotesque.
    Silent and stern in the sweltering night,
    The mob moves like demons possesed.
    Quiet in conscience, calm in their right,
    Confident their ways are best.

The righteous rise
    With burning eyes
    Of hatred and ill-will.
    Madmen fed on fear and lies
    To beat and burn and kill.

They say there are strangers who threaten us,
    Our immigrants and infidels.
    They say there is strangeness to danger us
    In our theatres and bookstore shelves,
    That those who know whats best for us
    Must rise and save us from ourselves.

Quick to judge,
    Quick to anger,
    Slow to understand
    Ignorance and prejudice
    And fear walk hand in hand.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

Ah yes great comeback. Use the sarcastic sentences I wrote AFTER your bullshit accusations.

The fact that throughout the thread you have accused people of slandering you when they have not is lame. It is obvious all you are trying to do is deviate from the conversation at hand. It reminds me of a previous banned poster who would either skip the thread or cry to the mods when he realises his argument is wrong.

I made many simple points to which you are YET to reply. Unless you think "and your point is.." is a valid reply. My friend it is your problem, not mine, if you do not understand.
  • Options
    see, the point that I am in this discussion is not to make "great comebacks", it's to have a discussion. I have never painted my opinion on this matter as fact, which many here continue to do. It's not black and white, which so many have said it is.

And you once again overdramatize. I did not accuse folks of slandering me. I simply told people to calm down to keep it a legitimate discussion, not to turn it into a pissing match. Which is what is happening now.

Check all my previous posts. Why would I try to deviate from the topic at hand? I have made several points, and I stand by them. I'll check out the points you say I "don't understand" (another nice condescension) a bit later when I get to work, and I'll be happy to respond.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    this thread is like a fatal car crash. i know i shouldnt look but i cant help myself. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,138
    It's not black and white, which so many have said it is.

I completely disagree. It is black and white. It's a simple issue. He denied them a marriage license because the man and the woman were different races. That's racism. There is no other justification for that behavior.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

I completely disagree. It is black and white. It's a simple issue. He denied them a marriage license because the man and the woman were different races. That's racism. There is no other justification for that behavior.

race is never a simple issue. wouldn't you think, if he was a racist, that he would refuse to marry ANY black people, regardless if they were marrying a white, Asian, black, whathaveyou?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

race is never a simple issue. wouldn't you think, if he was a racist, that he would refuse to marry ANY black people, regardless if they were marrying a white, Asian, black, whathaveyou?

he can still be a racist and do all the things you mention...the man did not want to be part of "mixing races"...what part of that is not racist....?
  • Options
    NoK wrote:
    ....shit...........piece of shit.......

there you go. I did quote the correct person. I never said you were swearing at me, the point was you were getting all hot under the collar (IMO-if you say you were not, then fine), I just wanted to keep this discussion on the straight and narrow, that was all.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    NoK wrote:
    again, another giant leap. too different to generate viable offspring?? where are you coming up with this stuff? My God, he's not saying they are going to be disadvantaged in the sense of being disabled in any way, he means identifying with their roots and knowing who they are, so to speak. It's really quite simple. You are making it way more complex than it is. Don't overanazlyze too much.

Get it? :roll:

Calm yourself down a bit. You can have a perfectly logical debate without the :evil:

If you think I am not calm while typing this then you are the one overanalysing. I'm perfectly fine thank you. :roll:

I am taking a purely scientific approach to the argument. By viability I mean the fitness of the children to lead a NORMAL life. Do you not realise that a psychological disadvantage is no different than a physical one? Perhaps at times even more debilitating.

and this is your "point" that you say I don't understand. I understand things when they are presented to me coherently. You said that a psych disadvantage is no different than a physical one. And I said "and your point is..?". It is a logical question within the context of this discussion. I never argued that they weren't different, so I asked what point were you trying to make with that statement. You were, to me, arguing a point that was never argued. Simple as that. I don't want to go into specifics, but I know personally very well why they are no different, so we can agree on that.

Now, to get back to the topic, let me give you a hypothetical:

A man owns two purebred dogs. He loves both dogs equally. Yet he doesn't want them to breed together, because he believes that they should stay within their breed. Is this man a breedist ( :lol: )? No, he wants both his dogs to breed, just not together. Does this mean he is disrespecting these dogs? Nope, he's looking out for what he believes is best for each of their future families. Do I agree with this dog-lover? Nope, because I could care less about breeds of dogs. And I think dogs should be able to f*** whoever they want! ;)

This man acted outside of the law. He should be fired. But he is not racist with the facts that we know as reported by the media.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    he can still be a racist and do all the things you mention...the man did not want to be part of "mixing races"...what part of that is not racist....?

I can easily throw that same point back to many of you........"what part of that IS racist?". Asking a question is not an argument.

The man simply, to my knowledge, has no prejudice against any race. He just doesn't think they should mix.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Would he have been okay with a Swede marrying an Italian? English/Greek? Chinese/Korean?

(of course)

Now, would he have been okay with any of those ethnicities marrying a black person?
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    The ironic thing in this whole situation is that he says he doesn't want biracial children to have a tough time growing up... but they'd only have a tough time if they were around people like him.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    this thread is like a fatal car crash. i know i shouldnt look but i cant help myself. :lol:

seriously! honestly i never thought there would be any disagreement over what this shithead did! and now marriage is being compared to breeding dogs!! :roll: :lol::lol:
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

I can easily throw that same point back to many of you........"what part of that IS racist?". Asking a question is not an argument.

The man simply, to my knowledge, has no prejudice against any race. He just doesn't think they should mix.

I'll gladly answer that question: The man actions, i.e., is refusing to marry a couple solely based on their respective races, in this case a white women marring a black man, is racist. He does not feel races should "mix", which here means, if they have children those said children would be at a disadvantage over "pure race" children...that's an amazing assumption based on his own world view...which just happens to be a wee bit racist...

your last line befuddles me...you say he has no prejudice but that he feels blacks and whites should not mix...call me kooky, but that's just plain racist...he sees a "mixed" race as being inferior...

and your example about the dogs is silly, no offense meant, but comparing this situation to dog breeding way off...they are not even in the same galaxy...
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    inmytree wrote:

that is, in itself, racist. it's the same argument used by the nazis against the jews and the KKK to uphold Jim Crow and separate but equal. the only reason to feel that way is becos you feel one will pollute the purity of the other.
  • Options
    Would he have been okay with a Swede marrying an Italian? English/Greek? Chinese/Korean?

(of course)

Now, would he have been okay with any of those ethnicities marrying a black person?

and how do you know that? that was one of my main points a few pages ago. many ethnicities have an issue with their offspring marrying outside of their own heritage. is that considered racist? no one answered that question.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

I'll gladly answer that question: The man actions, i.e., is refusing to marry a couple solely based on their respective races, in this case a white women marring a black man, is racist. He does not feel races should "mix", which here means, if they have children those said children would be at a disadvantage over "pure race" children...that's an amazing assumption based on his own world view...which just happens to be a wee bit racist...

your last line befuddles me...you say he has no prejudice but that he feels blacks and whites should not mix...call me kooky, but that's just plain racist...he sees a "mixed" race as being inferior...

and your example about the dogs is silly, no offense meant, but comparing this situation to dog breeding way off...they are not even in the same galaxy...

I don't believe he ever said they WOULD be inferior, more that they would have trouble identifying with any one group.

I expected that response to my dog analogy, but it was the best one I could come up with before my morning coffee. ;)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

(of course)

and how do you know that? that was one of my main points a few pages ago. many ethnicities have an issue with their offspring marrying outside of their own heritage. is that considered racist? no one answered that question.

I'll answer....

yes...