Options

Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Comments

• Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741

look, you have an opinion. I have mine. I have mixed-race close family, so don't sit there in your tower and tell me what racist is or isn't. I have a fairly good idea what racist is or isn't, I'm just not so quick to judge as everyone else here seems to be.

And that's my opinion.

I'm thinking you're one of those "gotta get in the last word" types of fellas....
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,190
    inmytree wrote:

look, you have an opinion. I have mine. I have mixed-race close family, so don't sit there in your tower and tell me what racist is or isn't. I have a fairly good idea what racist is or isn't, I'm just not so quick to judge as everyone else here seems to be.

And that's my opinion.

I'm thinking you're one of those "gotta get in the last word" types of fellas....
    i am thinking that too. what is that, post number 57 in this thread? but hey, if he feels he needs to post 100 then he will.

by the way johnny, your continued defense of this guy makes you look like a fool. i am done wasting my time on this issue. i don't live in a tower, but you should watch the rocks you throw when you live in a glass house.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    brandon10 wrote:

i can see that everyone's worthy of having a defense, i just can't see why you or anyone else would continue to defend this guy. you fail to see any of the logical arguments and the rebuttals of your position that have been posted here, rather you change the subject or divert attention on to side issues of no relevence to the original topic. you call it playing devil's advocate, but to me it appears that you are grasping at straws or posting just to read your own words. why else would 49 posts be necessary in this thread?

you sarcastically referred to me as "doc" in a prior post and i let it go. now you poke at me by referencing my background in orthopedics. i think the problem is you posted a worthless link and you had no idea what you were even talking about and i called you on it. you conceded that you lost that point but you went on and on about something else. it is one thing to have a position that you can defend with reputable links and evidence, but it is something else entirely to post the work of such an obviously misguided writer and imply that it is credible. i have no hard feelings either, but just know that there are alot of educated people on this forum that can see through some of the BS wiki jibberish that people post on here, and when it is something that i know about as part of my profession i am going to say something about it.[/quote

And to add to this point. It does not take a Harvard education to realize that the justice of the peace is racist. Just a little common sense. I mean come on? He said he has piles of black friends and they use his washroom?! This guy is beyond obvious racist. Quit trying to defend him. You are making Winnipeg look bad.

And that's my opinion.

Have you asked that family member or anyone else about this case and what might be their opinions?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    NoK wrote:
    wow, now you're just being pompous. what a joke. What are you basing this on? You don't know me from a hole in the ground, yet you assume you are more learned than me. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. You sound like a very nice person that is not judgmental at all.

no, actually, I'm not hot under the collar at all. Just responding to you in kind.

are you kidding me? I'M not following the discussion?? Are you reading my posts??

Lets see. You act all high and mighty telling me to go do more study and come back then you get riled up when I respond in kind to your post. Do you how pathetic such an act is?
    ok, gimmesometruth, I've had a bit more time to research this a bit, and I've found MANY articles with medical background that support the theory that Africans have different muscular make-ups than whites. Oh, sorry, is it ok to say "whites"? Or do I have to say European-Americans? ;)

He rips your argument and this is all you have to say? Haha
    I don't know. Maybe ask the person who went that direction.

Wow. Again. You come up with the lamest analogy of dog breeding which I proceeded to rip apart. Then you attempt to cover that embarrassment with a useless post referencing wikipedia that gimmesometruth27 proceeds to rip apart. And this is what you come up with to divert again?

The truth of the matter is I've given you solid reasons why believing children from a mixed race background will grow up disadvantaged either physically, psychologically or socially is racist, and you have responded to all with a load of crap.

You must be so proud of yourself, ripping that dog analogy apart, which I made fun of myself a few minutes after I posted it! :lol:

Look, it seems to me you are interested less in the discussion than you are just being "right" or trying to convince everyone around you to think your way, which I don't. You are obviously of an opinion, and I'm not saying it's wrong, but I'm not saying it's right either. See, that's me. I like discussion. I couldn't care less if I convince the world of my point or not. If someone can convince me of something, that means I learned something. I learned something from gimmesometruth. I honestly thought that Africans were genetically predisposed to being more athletic. He set me straight, and I like that. I learned something. It's something I'd like to research a bit further, because many people hold this same assumption.

Discussion breeds knowledge and wisdom. But you have to listen in order for that to happen. The fact that you continue, over and over again, to claim I said this or said that and diverted this and diverted that is really showing that you aren't interested in discussion at it's base.

Now, you can tell me that the last two paragraphs were "yet another diversion" from the discussion, when really there hasn't been much of a discussion between you and I for quite some time. And I was prepared once again to just leave this be, but you just keep on with the same rebuttals and I keep on with the same rebuttals to your same rebuttals, and around and around we go. So let's just stop, ok?

As Jerry Seinfeld says, end it "like a Band-Aid.....RIGHT OFF!". ;)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

And that's my opinion.

so, I'm not supposed to respond to someone when they adress me? Like now? Am I not supposed to respond to this because it looks like I'm trying to get in the last word?

Get a life.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

And that's my opinion.

i am thinking that too. what is that, post number 57 in this thread? but hey, if he feels he needs to post 100 then he will.

by the way johnny, your continued defense of this guy makes you look like a fool. i am done wasting my time on this issue. i don't live in a tower, but you should watch the rocks you throw when you live in a glass house.

that's unfortunate. I thought we had turned a respectful corner, and then you turn around and get all fourth grade on me. Apparently education does nothing for maturity or character.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Have you asked that family member or anyone else about this case and what might be their opinions?

Peace

no, I haven't.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

that's unfortunate. I thought we had turned a respectful corner, and then you turn around and get all fourth grade on me. Apparently education does nothing for maturity or character.

and it continued......... :roll:

are you finished yet?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    inmytree wrote:

And that's my opinion.

so, I'm not supposed to respond to someone when they adress me? Like now? Am I not supposed to respond to this because it looks like I'm trying to get in the last word?

Get a life.

thanks for the tip...I'll head out to Costco and pick up a life... :lol:

anyhoo...if you watched the video interview I posted, twice, the JoP stated he would only refuse to marry a couple in a black/white relationship and a couple who were obviously drunk or on drugs...and he added the drunk/drugs comment to save face...please, feel free to justify his actions...I have no problem with that...If you agree with his assessment that "mixed" children are somehow disadvantaged, so be it...that's one you...

keep on keepin on, my friend...
  • Options
    and it continued......... :roll:

are you finished yet?

are you for real? well stop addressing me and I'll stop responding. it's pretty fucking simple.I thought you said you were done wasting time on this?

You have it your way. You can have the last word. You have a free pass. Your next post I won't respond to. I promise. But then don't accuse me of not responding cause I have nothing to retort. :roll:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

anyhoo...if you watched the video interview I posted, twice, the JoP stated he would only refuse to marry a couple in a black/white relationship and a couple who were obviously drunk or on drugs...and he added the drunk/drugs comment to save face...please, feel free to justify his actions...I have no problem with that...If you agree with his assessment that "mixed" children are somehow disadvantaged, so be it...that's one you...

WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME. I had asked you about the content of that video 3 days ago, because I couldn't view it at work, and I didn't have time to view it at home, but you refused to acknowledge my request and instead just kept resoring to your name-calling. I told you quite clearly several times that if he said he would only refuse to marry a black/white couple as opposed to any other interracial marriages, then obviously, yes, he has a prejudice against Africans. So you OBVIOUSLY WEREN'T IN FACT READING MY POSTS. Now was that so hard?

JESUS CHRIST we could have avoided all your insults and jackassery over the past few days if you had just answered my simple fucking question.

So can we please consider this issue closed, or are you going to respond and insult me for responding?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME. I had asked you about the content of that video 3 days ago, because I couldn't view it at work, and I didn't have time to view it at home, but you refused to acknowledge my request and instead just kept resoring to your name-calling. I told you quite clearly several times that if he said he would only refuse to marry a black/white couple as opposed to any other interracial marriages, then obviously, yes, he has a prejudice against Africans. So you OBVIOUSLY WEREN'T IN FACT READING MY POSTS. Now was that so hard?

JESUS CHRIST we could have avoided all your insults and jackassery over the past few days if you had just answered my simple fucking question.

So can we please consider this issue closed, or are you going to respond and insult me for responding?

ha ha ha...somebody call the waaaaaambulance...suddenly you're a victim...oh, whoa is you...

anyway, I gave an answer to your question on page 10 of this thread...

here you go:
    the man admitted in an interview that he only refuses to marry drunks and black/white couples...

and he only added the drunk thing to save face...

and this scenario you speak of, are you referring to the dog one...?

this name calling you whine of...what are you referring to...?

and for someone who doesn't have time to watch the video, you sure do have a bunch of time to respond in this thread...
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    And I already answered that question about the 49 posts. When I am the one person on one side of the discussion, with several people on the other side, it doesn't take a mathemetician to figure out why my post count on this discusion would be higher than the rest.

When you're the only person that sees nothing suspicious or remotely racist in these facts, and everyone else unanimously seems to think it clearly is, perhaps instead of playing devil's advocate you ought to think about whether or not your position is as reasonable as you've so desperately been trying to convince everyone it is.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

And that's my opinion.

I'd be very curious if you have asked them if they would think it was racist if a JoP refused to marry them for the reasons he gave. And if they said they would, would you argue with them and tell them they are wrong and he's not a racist?
  • Options
    brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    Hey johnny sitar, I think having racist family members would make you a better judge of racism than having mixed race family members.
  • Options
    NoKNoK Posts: 824
    You must be so proud of yourself, ripping that dog analogy apart, which I made fun of myself a few minutes after I posted it! :lol:

Look, it seems to me you are interested less in the discussion than you are just being "right" or trying to convince everyone around you to think your way, which I don't. You are obviously of an opinion, and I'm not saying it's wrong, but I'm not saying it's right either. See, that's me. I like discussion. I couldn't care less if I convince the world of my point or not. If someone can convince me of something, that means I learned something. I learned something from gimmesometruth. I honestly thought that Africans were genetically predisposed to being more athletic. He set me straight, and I like that. I learned something. It's something I'd like to research a bit further, because many people hold this same assumption.

Discussion breeds knowledge and wisdom. But you have to listen in order for that to happen. The fact that you continue, over and over again, to claim I said this or said that and diverted this and diverted that is really showing that you aren't interested in discussion at it's base.

Now, you can tell me that the last two paragraphs were "yet another diversion" from the discussion, when really there hasn't been much of a discussion between you and I for quite some time. And I was prepared once again to just leave this be, but you just keep on with the same rebuttals and I keep on with the same rebuttals to your same rebuttals, and around and around we go. So let's just stop, ok?

As Jerry Seinfeld says, end it "like a Band-Aid.....RIGHT OFF!". ;)

The reason why I reply is because I hate people claiming something that is false. Like for instance, you currently claiming that you made fun of your dog analogy "a couple of posts" after you posted it. Did you forget that a page later you referred to that analogy as a valid one? Not to mention the fact that I fail to understand why someone would post something they would eventually make fun of.

I wont tell you the last two paragraphs of your post were a diversion, I'll just say they were nonsense. Cheers.
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Sounds like my southern ex mother in law. She says you don't mix apple and oranges like that. When my daughter was about 13 she had a crush on a black boy that went to her school. When her gramma found out, she told my kid that she would disown her if she went with the guy and asked her if she was that hard up for a boyfriend.
    I kept the peace with my ex's family, for the sake of my kids, but my kids had never heard me ever say anything racist in the least, so this shocked my daughter. She had innocently said this to her gramma and didn't expect that response. She was quite naive about how some people are racist.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    KDH12 wrote:
    lastly anyone that thinks.....

mixed children are at a psychological disadvantage..... are ignorant

or anyone who thinks.....

that different races marrying is similar to dogs breeding..... is ignorant

ok, none of you obviously read my follow-up post where I admitted the limitations of that analogy. But many of you like to omit what doesn't suit your collective need to be angry with someone who won't follow your opinion, which you can't help but present as fact. Gimme a break.

:roll:

don't say it if you don't mean not angry but really...... what was the point
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    ok, gimmesometruth, I've had a bit more time to research this a bit, and I've found MANY articles with medical background that support the theory that Africans have different muscular make-ups than whites. Oh, sorry, is it ok to say "whites"? Or do I have to say European-Americans? ;)

how much research could you have done in 23 minutes
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:

The fact that you did not take 2.5 minutes to watch he video shows that you really do not care about this issue and does show that you just want to argue.

If you had watched the video you would not have spent the last 3 pages blaming the media for blowing out this of proportion.

I suggest that instead of posting Wiki answers and not watching videos you should educate yourself before taking a certain stance on a issue that to most seems pretty "black and white"
  • Options
    La. official quits after interracial marriage flap

He refused to marry a couple because bride was white, groom was black

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33609707/ns ... ethnicity/

updated 8:07 p.m. CT, Tues., Nov . 3, 2009
    BATON ROUGE, La. - A Louisiana justice of the peace who refuses to marry interracial couples resigned Tuesday, after weeks of calls for his ouster from civil rights groups and several public officials, including the governor.

Keith Bardwell quit with a one-sentence statement to Louisiana Secretary of State Jay Dardenne: "I do hereby resign the office of Justice of the Peace for the Eighth Ward of Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, effective November 3, 2009."

Gov. Bobby Jindal called Bardwell's resignation "long overdue."

Beth Humphrey, who is white, has said she and her now-husband, Terence McKay, who is black, received their marriage license from the parish clerk of court, where they also got a list of people qualified to perform the ceremony. When she called Bardwell's office on Oct. 6 to ask, Humphrey said Bardwell's wife told her that the justice wouldn't sign their marriage license because they were a "mixed couple."

‘I think those children suffer’
    When questioned, Bardwell, who is white, acknowledged he routinely avoids marrying interracial couples because he believes children born to them end up suffering. In interviews, he said he refers the couples to other justices of the peace, who then perform the ceremony, which happened in this case.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said in an October interview with The Associated Press. "I think those children suffer, and I won't help put them through it."

Bardwell didn't return repeated calls Tuesday to comment about his resignation, which followed calls for his removal from officials including Jindal and U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu.

"We're saddened that it took national attention to this issue, which was decided back in 1967 by the Supreme Court, and also that it took public admonishment from other elected leaders in order for him to resign," said Laura Catlett, a lawyer for Humphrey and McKay.

Jindal said Bardwell made the right decision.

"What he did was clearly wrong and this resignation was long overdue," the governor said in a statement.

‘We are better off without him’
    Landrieu said Bardwell's refusal to marry the couple reflected terribly on the state.

"By resigning ... and ending his embarrassing tenure in office, Justice Bardwell has finally consented to the will of the vast majority of Louisiana citizens and nearly every governmental official in Louisiana ... We are better off without him in public service," she said.

Humphrey and McKay have filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against Bardwell. Catlett said the resignation won't stop the lawsuit, which also names Bardwell's wife as a defendant.

"This does not in any way change the fact that he, with his wife's help, discriminated against an interracial couple while he was a public official," Catlett said.

Bardwell was elected in 1975 as justice of the peace in Ponchatoula, La., a town 55 miles north of New Orleans. His term was set to run through 2014, and he had said that even before the flap, he hadn't intended to run for re-election.

HAHAHA, thanks for playing Mr. Bardwell.....Buh bye..

• Options
    Humphrey and McKay have filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against Bardwell. Catlett said the resignation won't stop the lawsuit, which also names Bardwell's wife as a defendant.

"This does not in any way change the fact that he, with his wife's help, discriminated against an interracial couple while he was a public official," Catlett said.

Bardwell was elected in 1975 as justice of the peace in Ponchatoula, La., a town 55 miles north of New Orleans. His term was set to run through 2014, and he had said that even before the flap, he hadn't intended to run for re-election.

I wonder if those in charge of this JOP knew he was denying couples that were interracial? I also question whether this resignation was due to this impending lawsuit?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    g under p wrote:

I wonder if those in charge of this JOP knew he was denying couples that were interracial? I also question whether this resignation was due to this impending lawsuit?

Peace

does this lawsuit bug anyone else? ... granted i haven't read everything that's going on here but i thought it was just one JP and now he's resigned ... what more do people want ... continuing with the lawsuit just smells of greed and opportunism ... something that is ruining the fabric of society ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

does this lawsuit bug anyone else? ... granted i haven't read everything that's going on here but i thought it was just one JP and now he's resigned ... what more do people want ... continuing with the lawsuit just smells of greed and opportunism ... something that is ruining the fabric of society ...

I hesitate to get back into this thread, but what the hell......I had actually posted your exact same paragraph (and then deleted it and moved on) saying that while it is a good thing he resigned, why are they still going on with this civil suit? He is gone, his office apologized, isn't that what they wanted? NOPE. They want MONEY! That's what bothers me the most out of all of this. It doesn't seem like it was anything to do with being wronged, it's about being paid for being wronged, which in itself is hypocritical.

So getting a payday will reverse time so this never happened? Gimme a break. The honourable thing to do here is for this group to say "we got what we wanted, and what was right, thank you and goodnight", and fade away into the distance.

Sometimes I think today some groups are just waiting for the politically incorrect mouse to walk by, if for no other reason than for the greedy money-hungry opportunistic cat can pounce on him.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

We on the outside of this case don't know what this couple went through or how it affected them. That said maybe they want to make sure that this doesn't happen again. That's why I asked if the powers that be knew whether he was turning away interracial couples. Those in power that govern that city muust know in one form or another that this kind of discrimination won't be tolerated.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    We on the outside of this case don't know what this couple went through or how it affected them. That said maybe they want to make sure that this doesn't happen again. That's why I asked if the powers that be knew whether he was turning away interracial couples. Those in power that govern that city muust know in one form or another that this kind of discrimination won't be tolerated.

Peace

yeah ... but it says the lawsuit is civil against the JP himself ... i suppose if suing someone is there idea of preventing it from happening again ... maybe ... but it doesn't seem right to me ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

yeah ... but it says the lawsuit is civil against the JP himself ... i suppose if suing someone is there idea of preventing it from happening again ... maybe ... but it doesn't seem right to me ...

This case may get thrown out who knows but the message is sent to the powers that be or to any individuals who may want inflict their ways society should or should not conduct themselves. Basically discrimination is still a suitable offense right? Sad case that this kind of behavior towards people STILL exists in America today.

Peace

• Options
    someone gets their feelings hurt and they want to sue. i expect no less. its the american way. :|
    I'll be back
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    This case may get thrown out who knows but the message is sent to the powers that be or to any individuals who may want inflict their ways society should or should not conduct themselves. Basically discrimination is still a suitable offense right? Sad case that this kind of behavior towards people STILL exists in America today.

Peace

well ... therein lies the rub ... it appears too many things are sue-worthy ...

at the end of the day - this was one JP abusing his power to support his prejudices vs. an entire organization or entity ... sadly, discrimination occurs on a daily basis around the world and ultimately will not change unless we educate people ... i find lawsuits like this excessive and ultimately counter to progress ...
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,449
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion about mixed-race marriages, but when a government official abuses his power as this fella is, it is just plain wrong.