Options

Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana

Comments

• Options
    Let me ask you this: if this situation had been exactly the same, except for one point, that the JP was black instead of white, would you all be calling him racist? I bet not. You can't have it both ways.

of course... what would his race have to do with him doing something racist?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    NoK wrote:
    actually.........Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

nowhere in this guy's objection to marrying an interracial couple do I see the above. He says NOTHING about the character of either one of the people wanting to get married, does he? Nor does he say anything about superiority of either race. Get a grip people.

Look at the definition and tell me what he did was racism. What he did was WRONG, but it wasn't racism. Sorry folks, but you are misdefining what racism is.

If I like Asian women over white women, does that mean I'm racist? If I prefer white women over Asian women, am I racist? To you people, in both instances, I am. And that's ridiculous. It's personal preference, not a superiority complex. Jeez. :roll:

actually.... you are wrong. Racism is not ONLY the belief that one race is superior to another but also the belief that race accounts for differences in human character. His assumption was that children from a mixed family will suffer more than the average children. This means he already has a preconceived belief regarding the characters of people from different races. Thats no better than people who cross the street because an african-american or middle-eastern guy was approaching from the other direction.

no, I'm not wrong. Neither are you. they are both definitions of racism. However, you take a giant leap here. Yes, he is assuming that children from a mixed family will suffer more than the average child. So then you jump over the grand canyon by making the claim that this means he has a preconceived belief regarding the characters of other races? Where did that come from? He is merely stating that they suffer because of identity crisis, on both sides. He's not saying that "those poor white kids are going to think they are black", he is saying all kids of mixed race suffer indentity crises. And that's arguable, but not racism.

People are way too quick to jump the gun and throw around all these nasty terms for people who have any supposedly politically incorrect opinion.

Let me ask you this: if this situation had been exactly the same, except for one point, that the JP was black instead of white, would you all be calling him racist? I bet not. You can't have it both ways.

Now you are making assumptions racism is racism it should not matter if the minority is doing it to the majority race. It is what it is and I see no difference in that.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    the man is a hero. i wish i could shake his hand.
    I'll be back
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    If his concern is 'the children', he is stuck in the past. As the old die off, and there are more interracial couples, hopefully the term interracial will become meaningless. I can tell you my 2 beautiful biracial daughters are bright and doing well in school and life. That guy ought to resign. He's a dinosaur.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    If his concern is 'the children', he is stuck in the past. As the old die off, and there are more interracial couples, hopefully the term interracial will become meaningless. I can tell you my 2 beautiful biracial daughters are bright and doing well in school and life. That guy ought to resign. He's a dinosaur.

I would have to agree wholeheartedly.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    Now you are making assumptions racism is racism it should not matter if the minority is doing it to the majority race. It is what it is and I see no difference in that.

Peace

I am not making assumptions, I'm stating an observation based on past experiences. If I'm wrong, then I'll admit to it.

I agree. I just honestly have seen many instances where people don't view it the same if it is a minority perpetrating the act, or on behalf of the minority, that's all. And many don't view it the same. Kinda like "employment equity", where if you have the same qualifications as another applicant, and they are a minority, they get the job. To me, that's racism at it's core.

Peace to you too. :D
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    g under p wrote:

Peace

I am not making assumptions, I'm stating an observation based on past experiences. If I'm wrong, then I'll admit to it.

I agree. I just honestly have seen many instances where people don't view it the same if it is a minority perpetrating the act, or on behalf of the minority, that's all. And many don't view it the same. Kinda like "employment equity", where if you have the same qualifications as another applicant, and they are a minority, they get the job. To me, that's racism at it's core.

Peace to you too. :D

I think you said here in the past you're from Canada. I was up there some years ago for several weeks. I traveled the city of Toronto on the train and buses and one thing that struck me was my observation so many interracial couples I thought it was the coolest thing about the country other than how clean it was up there. I didn't observe anyone looking down on it and like JJ said hopefully this relationship of interraciality will be something of the past. Hell we have a President who is a result of said relationship.

I can see we disagree to agree our understanding of racism but it;s an on growing process that is to be learned as this and other countries go forward.

I'll tell you a little tid bit, My fiance and I are an interracial couple. She likes to treat me to concerts and I do the same for her. I like rock she likes Rap, Hip Hop such as RUSH, The Who, PJ for me and for her Jay Z, Mary J Blige, somebody named A Konvict and the guy named half dollar. :) Anyway, I took her down to Miami to see Jay Z and Mary J Blige and to a mostly black audience. We gather many stares especially with my lady's excitement for this show she can be very loud. As the show goes on it becomes clear my lady knows the words to the songs better than many around us to the point where she's shouting to no end.

One of the women behind us comes up to her in one of the songs and starts to sing this song and others together. After Mary J Blige was over they spoke on why those songs meant to each other to the point of tears. It was quite touching how strangers found something that brought them together and the fact that they were of opposite races never factored in it at all. Even though it was a concert I wouldn't attend without her it was one of the most enjoyable times I've had at show in some time.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    I think mulatto kids are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen, personally. I don't understand this guy's thinking.

We will all be one big HUMAN race in about 200 years. No purebreads anywhere to be found!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

Yeah... We ain't lettin' any of 'em coloreds marry our women...

:roll:
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    what's that sign posted on many business walls? We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Or something along those lines. I'm not saying it's right, but the guy has seen many interracial marriages fail and doesn't want to contribute to another divorce. Those are his beliefs, he has a right to pick and choose who he marries. The same as people are able to pick and choose who marries them.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    edited October 2009
    what's that sign posted on many business walls? We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Or something along those lines. I'm not saying it's right, but the guy has seen many interracial marriages fail and doesn't want to contribute to another divorce. Those are his beliefs, he has a right to pick and choose who he marries. The same as people are able to pick and choose who marries them.

You're flat out wrong. This guy is an elected public official and one of his duties is to marry people. He doesn't reserve the right to deny a man and woman a marriage certificate based on race. He is there to serve all people, not whom he picks and chooses.

"The U.S. Supreme Court tossed out any racially based limitations on marriage in the landmark 1967 Loving v. Virginia case. In the unanimous decision, the court said that "Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the state."

What he did directly contradicts Supreme Court rulings. It is discrimination and it is against the law. He should resign immediately or be removed from office.

He is so concerned about an interracial child. Guess he doesn't want the kid to grow up and be President. :roll:
    Post edited by JD Sal on
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options

A business is a private entity. The judge is a representative of the State, and the Supreme Court ruled over 40 years ago that the State may not discriminate on the basis of race regarding marriage. He doesn't have the right to refuse. Its different than a private business.
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790

A private business cannot deny service to someone because of their race.

"The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options

As an elected, gov't employee, he doesn't have that right... What if you went to the court clerks office to file divorce papers and the person working there didn't believe that women should be allowed to file for divorce. He should be able to pick and chose, right?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    and I'll say again. Many of you have given me the facts that I had asked. He was indeed acting outside of his authority, and therefor illegally. So he should absolutely be fired. Case closed.

But sued? I find that a bit overkill. What is the obsession with sueing people these days? It's gotten ridiculous. "hey, you pissed me off, you owe me money!". I never understood the correlation between someone being "wronged" and giving them money for compensation, when finances never came into the equation in the first place.

yeah, suing is ridiculous now. people want to get whatever buck they can.
    its almost comical.

regarding getting the facts... there's always the possibility the media has left facts out. not saying this is what happened, but its possible. if the media wants you to believe the man is a racist, they'll do it. just sayin.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    NoKNoK Posts: 824
    no, I'm not wrong. Neither are you. they are both definitions of racism. However, you take a giant leap here. Yes, he is assuming that children from a mixed family will suffer more than the average child. So then you jump over the grand canyon by making the claim that this means he has a preconceived belief regarding the characters of other races? Where did that come from? He is merely stating that they suffer because of identity crisis, on both sides. He's not saying that "those poor white kids are going to think they are black", he is saying all kids of mixed race suffer indentity crises. And that's arguable, but not racism.

People are way too quick to jump the gun and throw around all these nasty terms for people who have any supposedly politically incorrect opinion.

Giant leap? Its very simple. Assuming that children from a mixed race will grow up with a disadvantage because they have some identity crisis is racist. Why? Because to assume that you would have to believe that each race is fundamentally different (i.e. they are too different to generate viable fit offspring). Get it? I'm not talking to you from a "political correct" standpoint only a logical one. In the end, I don't give a shit if he is sued or not its not my business.

and to answer your question, he could be pink for all I care. He is still a racist piece of shit.

Edit: And just to add to that, the only reason a kid might have an identity crisis coming from a mixed race family is because of society not the colour of his/her skin.
  • Options
    NoK wrote:
    Giant leap? Its very simple. Assuming that children from a mixed race will grow up with a disadvantage because they have some identity crisis is racist. Why? Because to assume that you would have to believe that each race is fundamentally different (i.e. they are too different to generate viable fit offspring). Get it?

again, another giant leap. too different to generate viable offspring?? where are you coming up with this stuff? My God, he's not saying they are going to be disadvantaged in the sense of being disabled in any way, he means identifying with their roots and knowing who they are, so to speak. It's really quite simple. You are making it way more complex than it is. Don't overanazlyze too much.

Get it? :roll:

Calm yourself down a bit. You can have a perfectly logical debate without the :evil:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    I can not believe that I read all 6 pages

after reading it I noticed that only two people mentioned the below fact, ironic this is all coming up the same year we have a "biracial" president
    this man does know who your president is doesnt he???

also it seems there is a fine line between discrimination and racism, and while they are not mutually exclusive they can work independently. I think that what this guy did was discriminatory while I suspect he might be a racist as well.

I'm in an interracial marriage have one child and one due in a week and when the are old enough I am going to send them over to the houses of some of you guys to kick your asses 8-)

While my children will face different issues then other children I do not think that it is something that they can not overcome. Nor are their struggles going to be any more difficult then other children's. I am also a social worker and I have many, many client's that are "pure bread" and have lives that have not turned out so well. So who has any right to say how my children will turn out especially before they are even born, fuck him, and it is becuase of people like him that they might have a difficult time.

Lastly someone should inform this JP that we have our own holiday, it might piss him off a bit ;)
    http://www.lovingday.org/
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    KDH12 wrote:
    I can not believe that I read all 6 pages

after reading it I noticed that only two people mentioned the below fact, ironic this is all coming up the same year we have a "biracial" president
    this man does know who your president is doesnt he???

also it seems there is a fine line between discrimination and racism, and while they are not mutually exclusive they can work independently. I think that what this guy did was discriminatory while I suspect he might be a racist as well.

I'm in an interracial marriage have one child and one due in a week and when the are old enough I am going to send them over to the houses of some of you guys to kick your asses 8-)

While my children will face different issues then other children I do not think that it is something that they can not overcome. Nor are their struggles going to be any more difficult then other children's. I am also a social worker and I have many, many client's that are "pure bread" and have lives that have not turned out so well. So who has any right to say how my children will turn out especially before they are even born, fuck him, and it is becuase of people like him that they might have a difficult time.

Lastly someone should inform this JP that we have our own holiday, it might piss him off a bit ;)
    http://www.lovingday.org/

Thanks for reading through this thread and posting the loving day link. Many varied points of views on this case huh. This story will be around for awhile till KB is either fired or has to resign.

Peace

• Options

Man I sure hope if you have children you've been teaching them a better way to treat people of all races than what you've posted here and on AETrip.

Peace

• Options
    NoKNoK Posts: 824
    again, another giant leap. too different to generate viable offspring?? where are you coming up with this stuff? My God, he's not saying they are going to be disadvantaged in the sense of being disabled in any way, he means identifying with their roots and knowing who they are, so to speak. It's really quite simple. You are making it way more complex than it is. Don't overanazlyze too much.

Calm yourself down a bit. You can have a perfectly logical debate without the :evil:

If you think I am not calm while typing this then you are the one overanalysing. I'm perfectly fine thank you. :roll:

I am taking a purely scientific approach to the argument. By viability I mean the fitness of the children to lead a NORMAL life. Do you not realise that a psychological disadvantage is no different than a physical one? Perhaps at times even more debilitating.
  • Options
    NoK wrote:

Edit: And just to add to that, the only reason a kid might have an identity crisis coming from a mixed race family is because of society not the colour of his/her skin.

Yes, and there's the strength in numbers. The more kids (and adults) there are that are not what society terms 'white' or 'black', the less the terminology 'white' and 'black' will matter in society and the more people will be taken at face value for who they are as human beings and what they do with themselves, instead of the color of their skin. Damn. My husband and I should have had an even dozen, not just 2. 8-)
  • Options
    Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    g under p wrote:

Man I sure hope if you have children you've been teaching them a better way to treat people of all races than what you've posted here and on AETrip.

i have 2 kids and i teach them to love everyone. it pisses me off that there is a double standard when it come to race. a black person can say whatever they want about whites and blacks its ok, nobody says anything. but when a white person says something they are a racist and thats bullshit. iv come across more racist blacks than i have whites. iv seen people on here talk about mexicans and chinese people and nobody says a fucking thing. its no different, its the same fucking thing. we cant move forward when there is a double standard and it pisses me off, so sometimes i will push it a little bit, make little jokes or whatever, but i know who i am and im not some racist. i guess because im white i cant makes jokes about another race? blacks do it all the time and nobody says a thing. as long as theres a doublestandard nobody can move forward.

Peace
    I'll be back
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    g under p wrote:

i have 2 kids and i teach them to love everyone. it pisses me off that there is a double standard when it come to race. a black person can say whatever they want about whites and blacks its ok, nobody says anything. but when a white person says something they are a racist and thats bullshit. iv come across more racist blacks than i have whites. iv seen people on here talk about mexicans and chinese people and nobody says a fucking thing. its no different, its the same fucking thing. we cant move forward when there is a double standard and it pisses me off, so sometimes i will push it a little bit, make little jokes or whatever, but i know who i am and im not some racist. i guess because im white i cant makes jokes about another race? blacks do it all the time and nobody says a thing. as long as theres a doublestandard nobody can move forward.

Peace

People in this thread need a lesson in using the quote button and if you are unsure there is a preview button as well 8-)

I work with mostly all black folks and rarely if never hear anything that resembles racism or discrimination

I hang out and round mostly white people and hear discriminatory and racist comments regularly, just my experience but I do not by this double standard argument.

Not to mention when you are the dominant race in a society that is controlled by old white guys there is more scrutiny especially when you have a 400 year history of racism and when your society was supposedly built on equal freedoms for all.

Get over it and don't be so sensitive at least your grandparents didn't have to "ride in the back of the bus" sorry to be cliche but it gets the point across.
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    g under p wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    You who are on the road
    Must have a code that you can live by
    And so become yourself
    Because the past is just a good bye.

Teach your children well,
    Their father's hell did slowly go by,
    And feed them on your dreams
    The one they picked, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
    So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

And you, of tender years,
    Can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
    And so please help them with your youth,
    They seek the truth before they can die.

Can you hear and do you care and
    Cant you see we must be free to
    Teach your children what you believe in.
    Make a world that we can live in.

Teach your parents well,
    Their children's hell will slowly go by,
    And feed them on your dreams
    The one they picked, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
    So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

Yes teach the children well and glad that you are. However you posted..
    it does not make him a racist. he marries black couples, just not interracail, he shouldnt be crusified for what he believes. go find someone that will do it.

Then someone asked You are joking right?

And you replied...
    not joking. so i guess now im a racist.

It appears you weren't joking but that's besides the point. K Bardwell is a public official a judge and if you're not you can joke about it even though it's not at all funny and not as simple as moving on to someone else they should find to marry them. What if there's no one else to marry them in LA, it's his job to marry couples, this is not a one time case he's been doing this for atleast 2 years and to several other couples. If he's allowed to do this or continue to do this where does this end, it won't this is part of where this racist behavior kicks in. We will soon get comfortable enough to put these mixed couples at the rear of the bus.

We need a progression forward not a regression backwards to a time in this country where a mixed couple could go to jail for being together much less marry or even share a water fountain that said *Whites Only*

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    g under p wrote:

Peace

i dont teach my children to love everybody. what i teach them is respect.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Absolutely, good manners and respect to their peers is a great start for children.

Peace

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    g under p wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Absolutely, good manners and respect to their peers is a great start for children.

Peace

actually 2 of those 'children' are adults. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    NoK wrote:

If you think I am not calm while typing this then you are the one overanalysing. I'm perfectly fine thank you. :roll:

I am taking a purely scientific approach to the argument. By viability I mean the fitness of the children to lead a NORMAL life. Do you not realise that a psychological disadvantage is no different than a physical one? Perhaps at times even more debilitating.

well, when someone resorts to swearing throughout their post, it seems like they are angry. Please forgive me if that's just the way you speak normally.

Yes, I realize that a psychological disadvantage is no different than a physical one. And your actual point is...?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    NoK wrote:

well, when someone resorts to swearing throughout their post, it seems like they are angry. Please forgive me if that's just the way you speak normally.
    oh the irony. considering i just finished reading this post.
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SELL-OUT. UNLESS YOU CONSIDER EVERY PERSON ON EARTH THAT COLLECTS A PAYCHEQUE EVERY TWO WEEKS A SELL-OUT, THEN I GUESS YOUR ARGUMENT HAS VALIDITY. HOWEVER, UNLESS YOU ARE UNEMPLOYED, THEN YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE.

Case fookin' closed.