Options

*** San Diego Fanviews Here 10/9/09 ***

Comments

• Options
    pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Santa Monica, CA Posts: 107
    SOLAT319 wrote:

OH MY GOD! Are you the one who took these? Thank you for sharing!

:)

you are welcome!
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:

Awesome fucking video. Thanks!

Please post some more if you have them!!!!! :)

last one i have, it was posted earlier....Parachutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCTPYEI-GQ
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
  • Options
    Hi. I think I got my extra from you "Just Breathe to Tolumne" during the soundcheck out front, if you are the John I met out front with friend Devry (I think that was your name, got it wrong twice). Got a PM from "AmentsChick" that she had an extra she wanted to sell me, then never answered 2 more PMs back, wtf? I ended up in AAA Row 3 on the aisle but spent most of the show outside Row 2 if not along the front row too on Stone's side. You guys both came by and we rocked out together a couple of times. And I think I got the spare that "Evergreen888" wanted for her friend from Memphis who was seeing them for the first time. And to "Fortunate as Me", I have the same blue cannon camera that you say you lost in the parking lot, well I still have mine but I think mine is officially fried as I dropped it into my wine cup. Trying to dry it out now, but it won't even turn on. Hopefully my front row picks and 1 video will be ok on the memory card. Yeah, the security were letting all kinds of people come up front and dance in the open section to the far right on Stone's side. Ed came by and gave a lady in a wheelchair next to me a tambourine (1 of only 2 he gave out, if I'm not mistaken as I think he then ran another one back behind the stage on Mike's side to someone?). During Ledbetter he visited again and gave a few of us pics which was sweet. I had one black ev 23 pic but now I have the Evil Knievel pic too. Met 2 girls from Seattle who had only seen them once or twice that danced with me during Evenflow hand in hand. (That was cool). Loved the energy and the positivity that abounded from Ed. The teachers coming out was great as was the singing lead into So You Wanna be a Cracker Barrell. I had snuck in two big ziploc baggies of wine in my crotch but as I got in, I realized that one had sprung a leak, so I was the first man to completely wet my pinot noir pants! Luckily they weren't the white jeans, but dark ones. Great show, tons of fun as always. I don't know about you but Unthought Known and Force of Nature are absolute bombers that totally rock the house...they sound soooo incredible live!!!

Peace to All Jammers!
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    while waiting for the trolley, my friend went to the bathroom...a drunk off his ass guy was in there saying "motorhead! motorhead!" my friend asked why he was saying that and he said "he thinks we just saw motorhead"

:crazy: :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Any pics of Mike playing on top of the speakers during Alive?
    mafioso420 wrote:

Here are the pics I took...

http://picasaweb.google.com/cacuellar76 ... directlink

Thanks San Diego for such a great show.

Also here are the videos I took...

Unknown Thought
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-agGW3ags

Red Mosquito

Got Some
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwuWrISNKJM
    120XXX
  • Options
    mafioso420 wrote:
    mafioso420 wrote:

Unknown Thought

Red Mosquito

Got Some

thanks, but it's Unthought Known :)

and the 2nd link is the same as the 1st
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
  • Options
    EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 492
    Gbegenyi wrote:
    RIDICULOUSLY UNBELIEVABLY FUCKING AMAZING!!

Thank you pearl jam. I'm having withdrawal symptoms already.

I agree with you 100%. Last nights show was amazing. I can't begin to describe i, but I will try (this might be REALLY long!) :mrgreen:

For starters I was at the last two LA shows which were my first and they were great, but the San Diego show was as good as both of those combined.

I actually had great seats for the LA venue and wasn't expecting too much for the bigger San Diego show. The ten club seats that I got weren't bad, but as I was waiting for the person I was giving my extra ticket too I heard someone at the box office getting front row on Mike's side, so I figured I should go and try my luck. Sure enough after a brief scare, a single ticket was open, but then was gone. I was able to score a section AAA row 5 seat on Mike's side!!!

I already knew the show was going to be awesome, but after that I was just in shock! I was then able to pick up the amazing poster and the Padres themed shirt so I was ready. Soundcheck was cool to hear as they played one of my favorites You Are (more on that later).

I would like to thank Mary Ann a fellow Phoenix area fan who I met at McGregors and gave me a ride over to the box office to pick up our tickets, she also was hooked up with similar incredible seats.

I was very glad to make it to the pre-party and hang out with a ton of fellow Pearl Jam followers. I went to the shows by myself which was great because it allowed me to meet some really, really great fellow fans. (Eric, Patrick, Raivo, Mary Ann, Mason and many others whose names I may not remember never got).

On to the actual show itself, unfortunately I was walking and riding the trolley around so by the time I ate and got to the venue and sold my extra 10C ticket I had missed the beginning of the set when Eddie came out and sang Under Pressure with Ben Harper, that would have been awesome to see!

I walked down to my seat and could not get over how fortunate I was to be sitting at such an amazing spot on Mike's side no less!!

I was going into the show REALLY wanting to hear Severed Hand and Go. I also was hoping for In Hiding and Down. I figured there was no way I would get them all.

1. Last Exit: A song that I have always really liked, but after hearing them open with it it has been stuck in my head all the way home. It was such a hard rocking GREAT way to get the show started.
    2. Corduroy: To go from Last Exit into another Vitalogy track was awesome! It was so rocking and sounded better than it did during LA 3. One of my favorites so what an amazing job they did on this one.
    3. Severed Hand: At first note I knew I was getting one of my four that I so desperately wanted. I love the guitar work in the song and they just NAILED it! I was so happy to hear this and await the boot for this song alone.
    4. Brain of J.: a song that just doesn't played enough IMO. I just noticed that they only played in Toronto this tour so that makes me even more excited to have heard it. Such an awesome rocking song. One of the MANY pleasant surprises in this set.
    5. Small Town: hearing the crowd screaming "HELLO!!!" is so cool, glad I got to hear it twice.
    6. Amongst the Waves: one of many amazing songs off of the new record it sounds so great live and Mike's guitar work on the live version just is awesome.
    7. Johnny Guitar: my unsung fave on the album. It is my most played song from the album and again just a great vibe to it.
    8. Even Flow: to all those who want them to shelve this song, screw you all! :D Just being able to hear Mike's guitar solo makes spending 70 bucks a ticket worth it, it was sickening how he shreds that song!
    9. Unthought Known: seems to be one of the best songs on the new album to be heard live: Already fans and Eddie scream "with gems and rhinestones" which is great to hear! Played at all three of the shows I saw.
    10. Parachutes: Another highlight of the show, he said he was going to F up the lyrics and asked for help (he did mess up), but hearing this song live was sweet, especially since they didn't play it at all in 2008.
    11. Daughter: For me this was the first song that was played that I am not absolutely in love with. It is a great and is special hearing it live with the tag.
    12. I Got Id: I know why it is a favorite for so many. What a fabulous song live!!! Glad I was able to hear it, since it also doesn't get played too much.
    13. You Are: Probably my number two song highlight of the night after Severed Hand. This is my favorite song from Riot Act and when they started playing it I couldn't for the life of me figure out the name of it, I just knew I love it. After I finally realized what it was they were in it. The ending guitar solos for the song were AWESOME. This will be the highlight of the boot for me for sure. The song was 100 times better than I ever could have imagined!!!
    14. Force of Nature: after not playing it pre-LA it is finally getting the plays it deserves. Yet another stellar track from the new album.
    15. Got Some: This is a song they are playing every show this tour and I see why. it is such a high energy rocker and is SO much fun to sing live, here's to playing this for years to come.
    16. Do the Evolution: hands down one of the greatest PJ songs to hear live. From the unison Hallelujah's to the screaming It's Evolution BABY!!!! This songs rocks so hard!!!!
    17. RVM: When they played this song in LA the bridge in the center was UNBELIEVABLE, so I knew it would be again, unfortunately I was dying of thirst, so I had to leave to get a beverage, thankfully there was no line and I was back before the solo ended!

WHEW!!!!!! An encore break!! Much needed, I could not believe that they could have played 17 straight songs that I absolutely love. I was speechless. How could this night really get any better?? I will finish my show review tomorrow, there is plenty to read here. I need to catch up on some sleep tonight after the long drive today.

:mrgreen:

You are welcome!!! It's always great to meet someone from the same town. Great review, BTW. I still haven't been able to get mine together. POST SHOW DEPRESSION.

I think I am going to try and get to Philly for a show or two. :twisted:
  • Options
    mafioso420 wrote:
    mafioso420 wrote:

Unknown Thought

Red Mosquito

Got Some

thanks, but it's Unthought Known :)

and the 2nd link is the same as the 1st

Sorry about that, I'm still beat from this past week 2 Pearl Jam shows and Two Dodger Games and a whole day with my Nephew.

Here's that other link...
    Red Mosquito
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvsaM7uowZQ
    120XXX
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    TipJammer wrote:
    The Pearl Jam Night of My Life... WOW... Front Row.. DEAD CENTER!

This guy totally deserves it!
    Duncan, it was great seeing you and meeting your girlfriend. Let's do dinner soon!

Thanks Selin. I felt like Pearl Jam thanked me for my many years of support. We're even now hehe.

Virgin America rocks too. Elena was happy to meet you. I've told her how we always run into each other.

JAM ON!
  • Options
    I was the woman (lady? Am I getting that old?? ha ha) in a wheelchair that was blessed with a tambourine from Eddie. I just blogged about the night at myheartdog.com, but I wanted to give a fanview here, too.
    This was truly one of the most memorable concerts and experiences I've ever had. Rivaling getting sang to by Bono while he lay on stage holding my hand. (I'm also a huge U2 fan).

I was a very, very lucky gal to have been able to be up front, and I feared it might never happen. My first show was in LA, and I wasn't able to see a thing, which made it very hard to give myself over to the show. A friend and I were able to get some fan club seats, and because they were not for disabled, I asked someone in charge about upgrading them to closer wheelchair seats. He had me go to the box office, which I thought was useless, as I was already told the last close wheelchair seats had been taken. However, as soon as I got there, these had just opened up. I was elated.

When I got into the venue, that elation got dampened when I realized that though these were close seats, there was still going to be a wall of people standing directly in front, blocking the view of anyone who can't stand. The security down there was very nice, and got someone from the venue management to come discuss letting me sit off to the side, out of the way, and still be able to see. First words out of her mouth was "Unfortunately..." Kiss of death. The wheelchair spots were what was alloted to us, and they would be more than happy to let me be up top at the end, if I would like to see. Yeah. Like that helps.

Well, when the show started, I tried to raise up as high as I could on my arms, and look around people, to no avail. This big, burly security guard kept eyeing me, then he looked like he couldn't take it any more, and whispered to a colleague. Then he motioned for me to come past the barrier, and had me sit against the railing off to the side of the stage. I swear, I teared up, I was so completely overjoyed at this generosity. At last, I was able to feel that connection, and really give myself over to the show. It was amazing!!

I don't know if Eddie remembered me from meeting at his solo show, or if he just wanted to give me the tambourine, but I'm so grateful to him. I really hoped that I might have a chance to get one, and my dream came true!

I hung out with that friend at the end, at the backstage area, with a handful of other fans. Waiting while traffic left, and just chatting with each other, hoping maybe to get him to sign my tambourine. (Not usually into asking for autographs, but that would be cool). He did come out, after a bit of heavy Corona consumption, just to say hi. We were asked not to request him to sign anything, and nobody did. He looked at me and said "Ah, there you are!" and reached for my hand and kissed it! (Squeal!) Then he spotted my German Shepherd, and asked who this guy was. I told him his name, Borias, and he smiled and said "I like that!"
    So cool. I thanked him for the show, and the tambourine, and we all said goodnight.
    Yeah, it was a really amazingly good night!
  • Options
    What a great show, I took my dad who always wonders why I follow them around and constantly mention them. He was blown away by McCready and really liked the energy of the show. The poster is awesome!!!

We had the rear view seating, which was totally enjoyable. It was awesome to watch Matt kill the drums and see the excited faces of people in the crowd when they were rocking. Brain of J and Little Wing were the biggest highlights for me. I fucking love Brain of J, so to see that was fucking awesome. And Little Wing, well that was just so cool. The dude on the drums was killing it. It was also awesome in the back b/c it was packed so I get to fucking dance/jam the entire night.

For a greatest hits type show, they slayed it.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • Options
    GrandmaGrandma Posts: 259
    That's a beautiful story about getting the tambourine and meeting Eddie. Thanks for sharing!

I was over in the loge - ok seats, didn't expect much since I suspect every LA and SD 10c member was there. I did prefer the acoustics in LA - kind of echo-y on the side in SD. But the setlist was great - and seeing Lulu's birthday, and Eddie and Matt's teachers play, and the Mohawk story -- definitely made it well worth the trip. Under Pressure was a real treat too. Lots of the Backspacer songs too - and they are so strong live. Unthought Known just builds and builds.

My husband asked if I would do this again ( go to all 5 shows ) -- I think he was hoping I realized it was a bit much driving 100 miles or more a night after work for 5 nights in 10 days . But I'd do it again in a minute. What a great 2 weeks!
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    mafioso420 wrote:
    mafioso420 wrote:

Unknown Thought

Red Mosquito

Got Some

Thanks so much for sharing these!
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    norm wrote:
    while waiting for the trolley, my friend went to the bathroom...a drunk off his ass guy was in there saying "motorhead! motorhead!" my friend asked why he was saying that and he said "he thinks we just saw motorhead"

I met that same friggin' drunk dude on the train in elevator. Did you get off Grantville station?
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    EnvoyEnvoy Posts: 14
    To Heartdog: my wife and I were seated right above you, and your joy during the show was there for all to see. I had to leave, but she told me all about Eddie coming over to give you the tambo. I'm not surprised at all.

To all the San Diego fans: I may have been the luckiest guy in the room, because I got tapped to sit in on drums. When Matt let me know they were thinking about it, I just about lost it. That night, I started thinking "holy shit, these people are here to see PJ, they don't want a couple of old dogs out here!"

And then I thought, maybe I ought to just trust these guys to know what they are doing. Your comments in these posts make me smile more than I can possibly say. I'm humbled, and still walking about six feet off the floor.

Which is totally freaking out my cats.
    Leading a life of noisy desperation, for a rather long time.
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    Ok, so back to my review!

The End: Just Ed and the guitar, what a beautiful song, better than with the strings. I just love it.
    Red Mosquito: Ben Harper is a friggin' awesome performer. After hearing this song all three nights it makes even the album version better. He shredded this song each and every night. I love Ben Harper.
    The Happy Birthday was so cool, very nice of Ed, but I am sure the girl was semi-embarassed.
    Given to Fly: My all-time favorite songs, dedicated to the birthday girl. Ed changed the lyrics to fit her, changing the he's to she's. I heard it during LA3, but this one just felt better. Still my favorite song, plus what topped it off was the extended finish as Ed went off stage and talked to LuLu, such a great song!!!
    Last Kiss: Ok, so if someone told me before hand that they would have thrown this one in this set, I would have been mad, but after hearing them singing it to the back stage folks it was actually AWESOME! The ending with the whole crowd singing Oh oh ohhhh ohohohoh!!! was so great. Was very impressed by it.
    The Fixer: for anyone who doesn't like this song listen to it live. It is phenomenal!! The crowd joining in the Yeah's and the music and just being able to yell it out was incredible, give it a listen live, you'll love it.
    Life Wasted: This song sounds so awesome on the album and as the case with every frigging song of theirs it just blows up live! Stunning.
    Encore 2

Why Go: I was desperately hoping to hear Go, but was still glad to hear this one, it is so cool live. and just yelling, "Why go home!!!!" over and over is awesome because it is a true saying of every single person in the crowd. The coolest part of the whole song was when Mike tossed out a handful of picks, they hadn't been reaching the fifth row, but a guy who came down from LA the day of the show, tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to the aisle, i couldn't tell what he was pointing at so he sort of pushed me out of the seat and there it was, one of Mike's picks!!! I pounced on that right away!! I tried to give it to the guy but he wanted me to have it! How awesome.
    Black: Obviously an amazing song, and one I was glad I was able to catch after not hearing it the first two shows I saw. What a spectacular song it is, words can't describe it.
    Better Man: again another song I hadn't heard yet and the crowd joining really did it for me, Ed kept it going and going and going and going. Such a great song, glad they still play it a lot.
    Little Wing and Rock Star: I can honestly say that I did not know these two songs, but getting the two guys who taught Matt and Ed their instruments was awesome. Rock Star sounded so rocking, I can't wait until the boot arrives so I can hear it as well as the original version.
    Alive: after hearing it the first two shows I was a little disappointed when it started, but soon realized why they play it so often, it is awesome. "yeah I'm still ALIVE!!!!!!" They closed with it in LA three and by now it was LONG after 11 and I was so hoping they would do ONE more song (you can imagine what it was) and not wrap with it. If I remember correctly this was the song where Eddie got up on the speaker near where I was sitting which was SO cool.
    Yellow Ledbetter into Star Spangled Banner: not only did I get the one closer that I so wanted to hear, but he wrapped with SSB! I absolutely love the song and just being five rows from Mike McCready was such a treat and the perfect way to cap off what was one of the best days I have ever had. Mike was spot on it was sounded incredible. Star Spangled Banner was as amazing as everyone told me it would be. What a great show it was!! Thanks Pearl Jam so much for a great, great week.

Final Thoughts: Eddie seemed to be so happy during the last show, even more so than LA. He was constantly smiling and laughing. He always seemed to make eye contact to people he knew in the crowd. His stories were great and he never missed a beat.
    Besides the fact I had the greatest seats that I will probably ever have for a PJ show, the only thing that could have made the day better would have been to have met the band. Is was perfect and so much fun all the way around. I met so many great people and am going to have some great photos from the people around me.
    I am obviously getting the bootleg, the shirt looked awesome, the poster was the best of the three. I so wish I could make the final Philly show that would be a dream come true, but I will always hold on to the memories of the last week, one of the greatest weeks ever! Thanks to everyone who was involved in making my week memorable. I have realized after these shows that I will go to every show I can from here on it out. I am officially and 100% addicted.

Thanks all who read this and good night.

Wow, I am finally speechless.
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Envoy wrote:
    To Heartdog: my wife and I were seated right above you, and your joy during the show was there for all to see. I had to leave, but she told me all about Eddie coming over to give you the tambo. I'm not surprised at all.

To all the San Diego fans: I may have been the luckiest guy in the room, because I got tapped to sit in on drums. When Matt let me know they were thinking about it, I just about lost it. That night, I started thinking "holy shit, these people are here to see PJ, they don't want a couple of old dogs out here!"

And then I thought, maybe I ought to just trust these guys to know what they are doing. Your comments in these posts make me smile more than I can possibly say. I'm humbled, and still walking about six feet off the floor.

Was that you?????

One of the great moments in concert history!!

You were terrific and the looks on your faces was sheer joy! Always wanted Little Wing. Thanks for that!

So was Matt a good student, LOL!

For me and my 6 year old it was sheer joy. He made it to Little Wing but the poor fella finally passed out! He had the best time. As stated before he is the biggest Brain of J fan and he got it! The look on his face and the mini-mosh pit between us was one of my highlights of my life. He will be a fan forever from this. He is also quite lucky for their being Small PJ SD shirts still available :D. Thanks to the guys behind us who were egging the Loganator on.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 492
    Envoy wrote:

OMG!!! You have no idea how much we all enjoyed it! My friend Jen flew out from Memphis for her first PJ show and she LOVES Little Wing, and then she could not get over how the show was so personal. It was a GREAT moment! Thanks so much!
  • Options

Oh man, the LuLu-part makes me feel warm inside. Ed's such a sweet guy. I hope to see a few shows in the US some day.
    Can anyone tell more about Ed's stories?
  • Options
    Envoy wrote:

you sir did a GREAT job!! absolutely loved it!! you're a great teacher because your former pupil kicks ass!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen:
  • Options
    norm wrote:

I met that same friggin' drunk dude on the train in elevator. Did you get off Grantville station?

no we went to the station near the hilton...kinda wished i had seen the guy...i would have asked him what he thought about lemmy singing betterman ;):lol::lol:
  • Options
    I lucked out and won tickets from 94.9 the day before. Otherwise, I would have missed this amazing show. I haven't missed them in San Diego since '95. My dream came true to experience "I Got Id" live finally. I had never seen "Red Mosquito" either. Those were some sweet slide leads from Ben Harper. Also, "Under Pressure" was quite amazing. Too bad that won't be on the bootleg.

There were alot of PJ standards that night, but they all ripped. I never get tired of Cordoroy or Evenflow live. Alive is almost an obligatory San Diego tune since it was written here in waves. Even though there were about 12 or 13 songs of the same songs from the '06 show, it was still an awesome time spent with old friends. :)

Thanks Pearl Jam for the amazing hometown energy. Even my wife who is not a fan enjoyed the communal spirit at the show.

I hope they come back again sooner than three years from now.
    "Do you think the carpetpissers did this?" - The Dude
  • Options
    breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    I enjoyed the show very much.

I thought the setlist overall was a bit "safe". Kind of like if a relative who is not necissarily a PJ asked me to put together a PJ mix cd for them. It would be all the more "user friendly" tracks. Definately no "Blood".

Well played, energetic, joyus.

Great way to wrap it up.

thank you pj.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    last exit as an opener?!
    niiiiiccccccccceeeeeeeeee!
    8-)

all these amazing setlists just get me even MORE excited for philly!
    :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Maybe on paper it doesn't look like the best setlist, however overall it was just a great PERFORMANCE by the band.

But yes Last Exit as an opener was awesome 8-)
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    THANKS 10C! THANKS WISHLIST FOUNDATION and PRE-PARTY ORGANIZERS!!!!

PLUS's: 2 Hours 40 Mins, Hometown Crowd/End of Tour Vibe, 10C Seats/10C Audience Sing Alongs, First Wishlist Pre-Party Where I Actually Know People (PJJ! And Met a Great Couple from Canada following the Tour along with many others), Eddie's Under Pressure w/ Ben Harper/Relentless 7, Force of Nature (and having now heard 9/11 of Backspacer Live), Eddie the Blabberin' Fool (Mohawk Story esp - but most talkative I've EVER heard Ed, live or boots, at one point his whole "I know you wanna sing, I know you need to sing" stream of consciousness "spoken-word" had me in the asiles!), Parachutes, Last Kiss, Little Wing w/ Guitar and Drum Teachers!!! (VERY Well played on Drums!!!), So You Want to Be a Rock'n Roll Star (esp with Mohawk story intro), Brain of J, I Got ID, The End - solo acoustic, Lulu's Birthday (another wonderful story by Ed), Se Hotel Group Rate (thx again 10C!), Gas Lamp District, The Mission cafe for breakfast - twice!, Ocean Beach, Balboa Park (whoa the Fazal Sheikh "Beloved Daughters" exhibit), Seein' So Many PJ Shirts around town and at the airport, TCHiggs buyin' my extra and having a rockin fan next to me, 10C members on other side next to me leaving before the 1st Intermission (he was bummed, she was not into it), Seeing the Fans behind the stage, Viejas Arena Venue (not Gibson Amp-like, but a nice 12,000-seat venue), 10th Show!!!, Breaking My Poster Curse (hey, it's a step up from my usual fate), and did I say "UNDER PRESSURE!"

"We got a shitload of guitars and amps and drums up here, got the place to ourselves, so we might just blow the roof off this joint tonight!"

MINUS's: Not Buying Enough Wishlist Lottery Tix, No Backspacer Backdrops due to tix sales behind the stage (C'mon the typewriter is just sooo cool, plug the PJ "moon"), Sooo Many Repeats from West Coast Swing on Final Night (SH, Evo, GTF, RM, RVM, Eldery, Daughter, Betterman -- but as said, staples, but great vibe) , Sitting in the Wrong Seat and Inconviencing the Nice Folks whose seats I had claimed - sorry! (Thank God that was during Relentless7), Folks around me who wanted to sit after about 4-5 songs, Folks around me following the playoffs during Ben Harper, Left my Fleece in the Rental Car, Left my iPhone at Home had to relearn basic map skills, Finding out what a 416,XXX Really Gets You - Sec U Row 12 (LA had me fooled), Having DVR set for Niner's Game avoiding all coverage all Sunday only to get on plane and hear dude say "Whoa, Niners got Blown Out!"

One more awesome moment from sooo many: "That'll teach 'em not to skip the opening act...."

UNDER PRESSURE!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    davet7462davet7462 Posts: 40
    edited October 2009
    Should I feel as guilty as I do?

Just joined the 10C earlier this year. Was really kind of hoping they'd hit up Phoenix - and I'd be able to get tickets and go to my first show there (yes - that's right - my first show. Sorry - I'm way late to the party.) Anyway - I got pretty excited when I saw they were doing 4 nights in LA and 1 in San Diego - until I realized that all 4 LA shows were weeknight - which would make commuting from Phoenix (and my job) pretty tough. So I just requested the San Diego show in the hopes my wife and I would be able to come out for a nice weekend in San Diego and a great show. But alas - my wife's son's wife wound up expecting their first child (and thus - my wife's first grandchild) somewhere in beginning to mid October. So not only could my wife not go - but neither could her son (who is a huge music fan). So I opted to bring my wife's son's wife's cousin (who wound up moving in with them right after they got married about a year and a half ago) - if for no other reason than to give them a break for an evening of relaxation.

Headed out from Phoenix about 10:00 AM - got to the Hilton around 4:00. Headed over to the venue - stopped at some Mexican dive for 'dinner.' Got to Viejas around 6:00 - went to pick up the tickets - completely expecting to have just alright tickets - and was going to be happy about that. After all - its kind of an intimate venue - so I figured there wouldn't be a 'bad' seat anywhere. Got in the M-Z line for 10C tickets (could someone please explain why they have over half the alphabet in one line - while A-E had its own window (with zero patrons) and F-L had its own window - with only a few people. Yet the M-Z line was about 20 people deep.) Not that I really cared - because we were early enough and my step-nephew was working his way through the merchandise line.

Got to the window - the lady had me sign the envelope - and then hands me two tickets for Section AAA - Row 2. Seriously? Was totally not expecting that - just wow.

Just an incredible show. I've seen alot of concerts in my time - and this definitely one of the best. I've followed Pearl Jam and have alot of their bootlegs and CD's (just had never been able to catch them live). Aside from the show - the one thing that really struck me is the dichotomy between just how much of a stage presence/command Eddie has and how he is able to come across as just another guy - like someone you could meet at a bar - sit on the stool next to him - and spend 2 hours just hanging out.

As for the setlist - how am I allowed to have any complaints? :lol: The only slight disappointment is not hearing Just Breathe - but that certainly didn't detract at all from the show. My all-time favorite PJ song is Garden - but I went in with zero expectations that it would be played.

As for John (Matt's drum teacher) and Eddie's guitar teacher - major kudos! Great, great portion of the show with the two of them playing!

To Heartdog - Very cool story - and Congrats! Glad you had a wonderful time. Saw Eddie go get the tambourine and find somebody in the crowd to give it to - but didn't see who it was! Just an awesome story!

To Tipjammer - My step-nephew and I talked to you briefly before the show. That was awesome to watch the whole Parachutes scenario unfold - great experience. Hilarious when Ed said 'I'll probably f*ck up the lyrics - so I might need some help.' Then he points at you - just awesome!

At the end of the show - a lady in the front row on Stone's side was able to get Ed's wine bottle. Then somebody asked for the other one - to which Ed replied 'No - that's vodka.' :lol:

Again - great experience. Took some pictures with the blackberry:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marciaandd ... 445505991/
    Post edited by davet7462 on
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    "We've got a shitload of amps and guitars and drums, and the stage to ourselves so I think we should just blow the roof on this fuckin place....."-EV 10-9-09

nuff said...

I have seen PJ more times than I can count and I have never seen the band so ON FIRE! The setlist was perfect for a drunken crowd in SD to sing along too. It's always a dissapointment (IMO) to see a bunch of rarities that kill the casual fans in the crowd. I thought the setlist was perfect!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    mt_wrxmt_wrx Posts: 33
    Great show! Thanks as always to the 10c for the seats. They just keep getting better and better!!

As mentioned in some other posts, this was a very sentimental show that had that backyard party vibe to it. You know the kind where you know the band, the entire crowd of people partying, and any story is about people you feel close to and understand? Felt very much like that to me and my wife.

Highlights for me included Last Exit as the opener, Johnny Guitar (hadn't seen live yet), Force of Nature (LOVE this song off the new album. Lucky to have seen it twice!), GREAT jam for RVM, even better jam for Red Mosquito between Mike and Ben!!, LITTLE WING!!!!!!!!!!, and of course how much good energy and vibe that the band was sending out. EV was grinning all night long.

Couple of bummers were standing in that SUPER long line for the 10c tix when we got there which in turn caused me to not be able to grab one of the Padres shirts for myself. Oh well... I got one for my wife. Didn't realize I had such a popular last name!

Overall it was a very special show that didn't disappoint. Happy to once again have had the opportunities to see our most favorite band ever.

Review from the local paper...
    Pearl Jam rocks and reminisces
    By George Varga
    Pop Music Critic
    2:00 a.m. October 12, 2009

pearl_t350.jpg?
    ...more pix @ http://uniontrib.com/more/pearljam

Pearl Jam delivered so many rousing anthems at its marathon, 32-song concert Friday night at SDSU's Viejas Arena that it almost seemed anti-climactic when the show concluded with guitarist Mike McCready's Jimi Hendrix-inspired solo version of “The Star Spangled Banner.”

Then again, little short of a cameo by the ghost of Hendrix, who died in 1970, could have topped what was perhaps Pearl Jam's most memorable San Diego concert in the band's 19-year history.

Memorable not just because it included such rarely performed songs — at least on this leg of the tour — as the lilting, Beatles-flavored 2006 ballad “Parachutes” and the doo-wop-tinged “Last Kiss,” a 1962 Wayne Cochran chestnut that the band played while facing its fans seated behind the arena stage.

And memorable not just because of Pearl Jam's galvanizing renditions of such early favorites as “Alive” and “Better Man,” which were matched by similarly impassioned versions of “Got Some,” “The End” and five other songs from its new album, “Backspacer.” (Lead singer Eddie Vedder, an Illinois native who grew up in North County, performed “The End” by himself, gently intoning such tender lyrics as: I wanted to grow old / Just want to grow old.)

No, what made this concert really stand out was the all-enveloping sense of communal spirit among the audience, the band and the band's extended family.

Of course, it's a given that many fans will sing along with gusto at every Pearl Jam concert. But Friday's show, which drew a crowd of 11,500, boasted enough unique moments to make you regret the absence of San Diego-bred film director Cameron Crowe (“Almost Famous,” “Jerry Maguire”), who is working on a documentary to commemorate Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary next year.

The first came when Vedder brought on stage Lulu Wismar and her dad, Keith (a veteran Pearl Jam road crew member who now works for Ben Harper, Friday's opening act). After recalling how he'd cradled Lulu in his arms when she was not yet two days old, Vedder had the crowd sing “Happy Birthday,” then had Lulu blow out the candles on her birthday cake.

Sentimental? No doubt. But can you name another major rock band that would devote time, mid-concert, to honor the child of one of its former roadies?

Eight songs later, Vedder gave props to his former guitar teacher, Bud Whitcomb, and to veteran San Diego Symphony percussionist Jon Szanto, who was Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron's teacher when Cameron was a Chula Vista teenager.

Another band might have left it at that. But not Pearl Jam, which had Szanto and Whitcomb join in to perform Hendrix's blues-drenched “Little Wing.” Cameron happily turned over his drums to Szanto, who played with poise and precision, while Whitcomb and Pearl Jam's McCready (who lived here for four years as a boy) traded tart licks.

Equally moving was Vedder's nostalgic introduction to Pearl Jam's spirited version of The Byrds' 1967 gem, “So You Want to Be a Rock ‘n’ Roll Star.” Grinning broadly, he recalled the time he was promoted to “chief of post-midnight security and gas pump detail.”

What followed was a delightful recounting of how Vedder implored his then-boss to let him get a Mohawk haircut — the better to realize his budding dreams of punk-rock stardom. “This job now,” he concluded, “I'm never going to (expletive) quit!”

Vedder, 44, has been a rock star nearly half his life. His group has weathered the years longer and better than any other band to emerge from Seattle's grunge-rock scene of the early 1990s. Friday's triumphant concert here suggested Pearl Jam has the potential to endure for another 20 years.

Union-Tribune
    George Varga
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    stickfig13 wrote:
    The setlist was perfect for a drunken crowd in SD to sing along too. It's always a dissapointment (IMO) to see a bunch of rarities that kill the casual fans in the crowd. I thought the setlist was perfect!

As this is the first tour I'm seeing multiple shows from, noted my very casual dissappointment, esp after seeing a festival venue like Outside Lands -- which is almost pure greatest hits. As noted, they seem to be dropping one gem among these greatest hits and backspacer songs. What? Parachutes? You Are? Life Wasted? I'd go with Brain of J....

I think the gem was performed by the opening act personally -- but that's not really the same. Same for Petty cover....

But I can 1000% get behind your comment -- all the audience sing-alongs really where wonderful! Even Last Kiss! If anything I noted a slight energy dip for the Petty cover?!?!!?

And you could tell how many casual fans where there by them forgin' ahead on Betterman and Black as Eddie was holding notes out an extra measure or two -- rookies!

EDIT: This post now improved with Pictures! http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/acutejam/10_09_09%20PJ%20SD/
    [sic] happens