Options

You know you're getting old when...

Comments

• Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    When you have just accepted redundancy with roughly a years pay and STILL dont know whether to spend some of it going to OZ for a couple of shows, OR saving it and being sensible as who knows how long it will be until i get another job?

Ten years ago i would already have the flights and tickets booked even though i only got the call 90 minutes ago!!

Dam you sensible getting old thoughts..............

COME TO OZ!!!! :D

i would LOVE to!!! I will probably never get the chance again whilst having the money just sitting in the bank will i?

all i need to do is convince Mrs super Vedder ;)
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    When you have just accepted redundancy with roughly a years pay and STILL dont know whether to spend some of it going to OZ for a couple of shows, OR saving it and being sensible as who knows how long it will be until i get another job?

Ten years ago i would already have the flights and tickets booked even though i only got the call 90 minutes ago!!

dude, that sucks about the job, but come to oz :)
    it has been a while since the beers in Poland, time for some more 8-)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

damn, sorry about that. ouch. :?
    however, i see i too am getting old(alright, yes...i am old ;)...especially around here!) but i actually have to echo your 'sensible/old' thoughts. i would strongly suggest holding the $$$. i agree, when you are younger, less esponsibilites, etc...so much easier to just take off. idk your situation, but sounds like you have a wife....any kids?....mortgage?.....with the current economy ad tight job market, it really would be wise. and hey, if you DO get a job a lot quicker than expected, hell yes....you can STILL go to oz! sure, maybe not for a pj tour, maybe in 6-12 months, but you'd still get there! and if it takes you a long while, you'll be thankful to have that cash cushion.

(and DAMN, a year's salary severance package? NICE!)
    seriously tho, if you weren't planning/didn't have the funds for oz before being laid off, i would strongly urge you to think long and hard about it...

and yes, my entire post is just an excellent example of 'you know you're getting old when....' :lol:
    no matter your decision, good luck!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    You begin driving with your hands at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    You begin driving with your hands at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.

I do that! I realize it sometimes and stop!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    PJBPJB Posts: 39
    you go out with friends to a pub and see an extension lead plugged in and turned on with nothing in it, think "Bloody hell that's dangerous, what if someone spills a drink on it!" and turn it off...

Like I did on Saturday night :oops: :lol:

What about everyone else? :D

When you go see pjam, pass on the beer, and take a couple of preventative ibuprofen so you wont hurt so bad tomorrow
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

damn, sorry about that. ouch. :?
    however, i see i too am getting old(alright, yes...i am old ;)...especially around here!) but i actually have to echo your 'sensible/old' thoughts. i would strongly suggest holding the $$$. i agree, when you are younger, less esponsibilites, etc...so much easier to just take off. idk your situation, but sounds like you have a wife....any kids?....mortgage?.....with the current economy ad tight job market, it really would be wise. and hey, if you DO get a job a lot quicker than expected, hell yes....you can STILL go to oz! sure, maybe not for a pj tour, maybe in 6-12 months, but you'd still get there! and if it takes you a long while, you'll be thankful to have that cash cushion.

(and DAMN, a year's salary severance package? NICE!)
    seriously tho, if you weren't planning/didn't have the funds for oz before being laid off, i would strongly urge you to think long and hard about it...

and yes, my entire post is just an excellent example of 'you know you're getting old when....' :lol:
    no matter your decision, good luck!
    THE PEARL JAM FANS NOT GETTING OLD..WE DRINK THE MAGIC FILTER THAT IS PJ SONGS AND WE STAY YOUNG FOREVER.. :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    THE PEARL JAM FANS NOT GETTING OLD..WE DRINK THE MAGIC FILTER THAT IS PJ SONGS AND WE STAY YOUNG FOREVER.. :D

now i show my age b/c the tune from the 80s forever young is in my head after reading that, and yet...i cannot recall the name of the band who wrote/played it...and i actully think it was my senior prom song. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    You find yourself paying attention to lady tena adverts :? :lol:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

now i show my age b/c the tune from the 80s forever young is in my head after reading that, and yet...i cannot recall the name of the band who wrote/played it...and i actully think it was my senior prom song. :lol:

i assume you're not talking about the bob dylan song then?
  • Options

Didn't Rod Stewart put out some garbage with that title?
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    When you find that you can't "sleep in" on weekends anymore. Not because you don't want to, but because your body is so conditioned to waking up at the crack of dawn that you just physically can't do it :(
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    When movies that you loved as a kid/teenager are coming up on the "Silver Anniversary Re-Release".
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options

Didn't Rod Stewart put out some garbage with that title?

bing is your (and my) friend! :D

Alphaville - Forever Young

Let's dance in style, lets dance for a while
    Heaven can wait we're only watching the skies
    Hoping for the best but expecting the worst
    Are you going to drop the bomb or not?
    Let us die young or let us live forever
    We don't have the power but we never say never
    Sitting in a sandpit, life is a short trip
    The music's for the sad men
    Can you imagine when this race is won
    Turn our golden faces into the sun
    Praising our leaders we're getting in tune
    The music's played by the madman

Forever young, i want to be forever young
    Do you really want to live forever, forever forever
    Do you really want to live forever
    Forever young

Some are like water, some are like the heat
    Some are a melody and some are the beat
    Sooner or later they all will be gone
    Why don't they stay young
    It's so hard to get old without a cause
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse
    Youth is like diamonds in the sun
    And diamonds are forever
    So many adventures couldn't happen today
    So many songs we forgot to play
    So many dreams are swinging out of the blue
    We let them come true

Do you really want to live forever forever forever
    Forever young, i want to be forever
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    When you find that you can't "sleep in" on weekends anymore. Not because you don't want to, but because your body is so conditioned to waking up at the crack of dawn that you just physically can't do it :(

hmm i dont have this problem cause sleep is my friend but surely elana you can find other ways to 'sleep in" that dont precipitate you actually having to get out of bed. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254

hmm i dont have this problem cause sleep is my friend but surely elana you can find other ways to 'sleep in" that dont precipitate you actually having to get out of bed. ;)8-)
    I hate the lack of sleep. I am 54 and go to bed late and wake up 2-3 hours later, wide awake! Now I know why old people take naps. I am exhausted most of the time. Why is it I cannot sleep until morning? I love it if I sleep until its even remotely close to morning. If the sun has already risen, I...well... I don't know cuz that hasn't happened in about 5 yers.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Heatherj43 wrote:

I hate the lack of sleep. I am 54 and go to bed late and wake up 2-3 hours later, wide awake! Now I know why old people take naps. I am exhausted most of the time. Why is it I cannot sleep until morning? I love it if I sleep until its even remotely close to morning. If the sun has already risen, I...well... I don't know cuz that hasn't happened in about 5 yers.

yeah i have to admit that would suck. i find my natural rhythm wakes me around 4am but only enough for me to note that it is around 4am and that woohoo!!! ive still got hours til i need to get out of bed. my bedroom is the darkest room in the house so that helps as does depression. im tired but its more mental tiredness than physical tiredness.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885

True...but Tim is still a youngin' and apparently has nooo problem sleeping till his heart's content :P I'm just gonna have to wake his ass up :mrgreen:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    ... when you don't contribute to "You know you're getting old when..."- type threads anymore, because they've gotten old.

:lol:
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    you have spots of grey hair at 23 and realize it's getting a bit more noticeable at 24

:oops:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    when you moan about current trends, teenagers and lack of respect from said teens...
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    metsfan wrote:
    you have spots of grey hair at 23 and realize it's getting a bit more noticeable at 24

gimme a break! lol..I don't have any grey :P
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    metsfan wrote:

i find it hard to feel too bad for you... i'd kill for grey hairs... i just notice there is less and less hair on my head every day :(
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

i find it hard to feel too bad for you... i'd kill for grey hairs... i just notice there is less and less hair on my head every day :(

Speak up! I can't hear you.... WHAT?
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    When in work You take ID of old looking, tired and gravelly woman or man and then realize she/he is in Your age.
    Very upsetting
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

Speak up! I can't hear you.... WHAT?

OMG...so made me laugh!

when you look at pictures of you from when you were 20...which is now over 20 years ago :shock: ...and think my god, that's me......*I* looked like that? wtf has happened? :lol: :? :|

my husband *just* started to have grey hairs appear @ 43, tho being blonde, i think they take longer to show up, lucky fucker....and he still has all his hair, which is nice. he has gottn quite wrinkled with age tho :? but somehow manages to still look quite youthful. now my hair has soooo much grey, tho presently it is reddish :)...but my skin looks pretty damn good. all trade-offs. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Walking past a mirror and not knowing who you are looking at.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options

:lol::lol::lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    you look at a new outfit/shoes/skirt/whatever and think, is this too young for me? will i look like i am trying to look young?

you look at a hot 20-22 year old and think...man, he's hot. then you feel dirty for looking at a guy who basiclly, while legal, appears to be way too young! (of course you still look and think it, but sure..the guilt is there and cuts into the pleasure, a wee bit anyway) ;)

Oh, I see you had already discussed the 20-22 year old guilt :lol: and absolutely, I'm with you on the outfit/shoes/skirt, too :cry:
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    when u are ready to pay in the line and the woman in the cashier said to the previous 25 young costumer thank u young man and after say to u ,,its 30 euros for u ...SIR.....u pay and say again thank u and goodday SIR