Options

You know you're getting old when...

Comments

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    1) when you realize people who were born in the same year that TEN and NEVERMIND were released are now graduating or have graduated high school

2) when you realize that you have now been out of high school for over half your life

3) you remember carrying around boom boxes through the streets and playing/using cassettes

4) players you had baseball cards of now have sons who are now playing in the major leagues

5) you remember what it was like to use a pay phone and had a system to get out of a collect call

6) you know or knew how to change a typewriter ribbon

7) you have drunk water straight from the hose outside your house

8) weekends were a reason to go out and try and meet and see other people, not sit at home and try to avoid other people

9) the biggest thought about money was how many beers and shots i can buy with my paycheck this week

10) you remember when banks were only open 10-3 except on friday nights when they would be open until 7:00

Brilliant. :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    You know you're old when you remember old coins... and were astounded by the replacement ones when they were released :lol:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    pjhawks wrote:
    1) when you realize people who were born in the same year that TEN and NEVERMIND were released are now graduating or have graduated high school

2) when you realize that you have now been out of high school for over half your life

3) you remember carrying around boom boxes through the streets and playing/using cassettes

4) players you had baseball cards of now have sons who are now playing in the major leagues

5) you remember what it was like to use a pay phone and had a system to get out of a collect call

8) weekends were a reason to go out and try and meet and see other people, not sit at home and try to avoid other people

9) the biggest thought about money was how many beers and shots i can buy with my paycheck this week

10) you remember when banks were only open 10-3 except on friday nights when they would be open until 7:00

too true!
    and i remember when vinyl was IT. cassettes were a modern marvel! :lol:
    and ahhhhh...typewriters........we actually still have one in our office, needed for the occasional form and all the younger employees look at it with trepidation. :P
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    :lol: Trust me, I'm an old 25!

I just thought the thread would be entertaining... as there seems to be an increasing number of 'youngsters' about these days... :?

Remember, you're only as old as the man you feel, D2D ;)

no harm intended!

and yes, it is. :D

and daminnit, that's the problem then, eh? the man i feel is 43! :shock: :lol::mrgreen:
    he's still adorable tho...;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Your beautiful baby is now taller than you.

You have to start waxing your chin. :o
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    pjhawks wrote:

too true!
    and i remember when vinyl was IT. cassettes were a modern marvel! :lol:
    and ahhhhh...typewriters........we actually still have one in our office, needed for the occasional form and all the younger employees look at it with trepidation. :P
    My 6 year old finally figured out what Backspacer was last night on the computer, LOL

Let us not forget the greatest invention of all!!

The 8 track :D
    8_track_tapes_closeup.jpg
    I think I had 3 of these :?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    :lol: Trust me, I'm an old 25!

I just thought the thread would be entertaining... as there seems to be an increasing number of 'youngsters' about these days... :?

Remember, you're only as old as the man you feel, D2D ;)

no harm intended!

and yes, it is. :D

and daminnit, that's the problem then, eh? the man i feel is 43! :shock: :lol::mrgreen:
    he's still adorable tho...;)

See, that's your first mistake right there... My man is nearly 3 years younger than me, so technically, i'm 23 ;):mrgreen:

Yeah right! :lol:

You know you're old when you like Elton John's early music and not just his collaborations ^^^^

• Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    gabers wrote:
    When you're buying booze at the grocery store and the automatic scanner says to look at ID and the kid at the manager station gives you a look like "oh, you're really old, so sorry the machine is so ignorant". Even when I really don't look that old. Compared to other 37 year old white men.

That was gonna be my next one!

I stopped being ID'ed this year and I don't know whether to be happy or sad about it :lol:

I don't get id'ed anywhere except :roll: ... my local post office refuses to sell me the lottery ... you have to be 16 to buy it FFS ... do I look 15 :twisted: ... I've been old enough to buy it for nearly that long ... ENDS RANT!

*coughs* I was a touch offended :oops: :mrgreen:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    chime wrote:
    gabers wrote:
    When you're buying booze at the grocery store and the automatic scanner says to look at ID and the kid at the manager station gives you a look like "oh, you're really old, so sorry the machine is so ignorant". Even when I really don't look that old. Compared to other 37 year old white men.

That was gonna be my next one!

I stopped being ID'ed this year and I don't know whether to be happy or sad about it :lol:

I don't get id'ed anywhere except :roll: ... my local post office refuses to sell me the lottery ... you have to be 16 to buy it FFS ... do I look 15 :twisted: ... I've been old enough to buy it for nearly that long ... ENDS RANT!

*coughs* I was a touch offended :oops: :mrgreen:

Sorry but I did LOL when I read this :lol::D

Bless you, you should be flattered! I'm 5 years younger than you and I don't get ID'ed at all anymore :cry:

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    you remember eating mcd's and other junk daily and washing it down with 24 beers a night and your stomach was still flat as a washboard. and now any time you eat something other than salad, you can see your gut rounding out a bit more as soon as you sit down.
  • Options
    [See, that's your first mistake right there... My man is nearly 3 years younger than me, so technically, i'm 23 ;):mrgreen:

You know you're old when you like Elton John's early music and not just his collaborations ^^^^

you've never met/seen my husband...there's no mistake there. ;)
    i keep him young, that's all. :mrgreen:

i love elton's earlier music, i don't think that makes me old, merely sensible. 8-)

BD - 8 tracks! :lol:
    i never personally owned any, but i remember my oldest sister had it in her camaro. :D

you know you're getting old when you actually look back and see ALL the technology that has been invented...in your lifetime! :shock:

damn conor, you just had to bring THAt up eh? hell yes....the days of eating anything and everything you wanted, with NIL negative effects. gone....long gone! :( :evil: :cry:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    you remember eating mcd's and other junk daily and washing it down with 24 beers a night and your stomach was still flat as a washboard. and now any time you eat something other than salad, you can see your gut rounding out a bit more as soon as you sit down.

Oh god yes... :(

Except my junk food fat goes on my bum :(

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    You feel guilty checking out the adorable and sexy, 21year old IT guy :|
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    [See, that's your first mistake right there... My man is nearly 3 years younger than me, so technically, i'm 23 ;):mrgreen:

you've never met/seen my husband...there's no mistake there. ;)
    i keep him young, that's all. :mrgreen:

i love elton's earlier music, i don't think that makes me old, merely sensible. 8-)

I love Elton's early music but the picture made me think of a comment a kid came out with at work once: "Didn't he do that song with Blue?" (an English boy-band). She had no idea that he had an extensive and rather good back catologue behind him :roll:

I'm sure you do keep him young D2D, I was only joking, no offense meant :)

• Options
    meme wrote:

Women are such odd creatures... I can assure you that no matter how old I get or feel, I will NEVER feel guilty about checking out sexy 21 year old girls, hehe.

Sorry to bring up the eating one for everyone, but it's been hitting home a lot lately. I need to get my ass to the building's fitness center.
  • Options
    Sorry to bring up the eating one for everyone, but it's been hitting home a lot lately. I need to get my ass to the building's fitness center.

You know you're old when you say things like that SS ;)

• Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    You give to charities where cures are still needed because you might need it real soon.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    meme wrote:

Women are such odd creatures... I can assure you that no matter how old I get or feel, I will NEVER feel guilty about checking out sexy 21 year old girls, hehe.

yes meme...i said the same thing. :oops:

and hey, my husband does occasionally feel guilty, especially if i remind him he's old enough to be the father of whomever he's admiring. ;) seriously tho, sure...we all get over it, but yes....many of us do feel a small twinge of guilt....but we still do it and enjoy it anyway. :mrgreen:

i hear ya!
    i am on my own program for the same issue and it does indeed suck. i faced it once before, realizing i could not maintain my skinny self by eating anything/everything anymore. it's a hard reality to face. good for you doing so younger.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    You give to charities where cures are still needed because you might need it real soon.

:(

when you look forward to a quiet one and an early night...

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    dunkman wrote:
    your ears grow hair
    :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    when in sex u make pround of yourself about quality and not for quantity
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    when every second day u use the expresion:when i was younger,i usally..
  • Options

:mrgreen:

you know what? quality IS definitely more important!

guess i am just illustrating my age tho, eh? ;)

btw - i try never to use the expression 'when i was your age' or 'when i was younger'....sure, sometimes it's unavoidable, but overall, i do try and avoid it. again, just showing my age..... :mrgreen:

and i despise the expression 'she looks great for her age'....! :evil:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    meme wrote:

and hey, my husband does occasionally feel guilty, especially if i remind him he's old enough to be the father of whomever he's admiring. ;) seriously tho, sure...we all get over it, but yes....many of us do feel a small twinge of guilt....but we still do it and enjoy it anyway. :mrgreen:

i hear ya!
    i am on my own program for the same issue and it does indeed suck. i faced it once before, realizing i could not maintain my skinny self by eating anything/everything anymore. it's a hard reality to face. good for you doing so younger.

eh, i have whole shelves on my dvd rack devoted to movies about the 'old enough to be the father' thing ;)

too far?

anyway, don't go congratulating me just yet... i said i have to get to the fitness center and start eating right... not that i'd started doing it yet :)
  • Options

i hear ya!

eh, i have whole shelves on my dvd rack devoted to movies about the 'old enough to be the father' thing ;)

too far?

anyway, don't go congratulating me just yet... i said i have to get to the fitness center and start eating right... not that i'd started doing it yet :)

well i still enjoy younger men. ;)
    as i said, if i think about it...i might feel dirty/pervy, but i simply try not to think about it. :mrgreen:
    hahahaha.

eh well, at least your thinking about it. then again, maybe i wasy lucky, b/c it didn't hit me until after 30, and took me a good 5 years of denial before i faced the facts. :P then i went right back to my wicked ways and am still facing it at 40. so much for the wisdom age correlation eh? :mrgreen:

and i definitely feel old when i consider that people 10-15 years younger than me start feeling old! :shock: and normally, i don't feel old! :lol:

edit - and btw, yes! too far! you are too young to have DVDs containing hot girls that you think you are old enough to be their father! :o ack! that reminds me, my husband saw miley cirus at a today show taping (he used to work right around rockefeller plaza) he had no idea who she was, saw her from behind, and commented to his partner about the chick with the smokin' hot legs. when he found out who she was, from his partner sgiving one of those, wtf man...do you know how old that girl is?! hahahahaha. my husband was mortified. and yes, he said she looked way older from behind. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    VixenVixen Posts: 70
    when you go to a club with your friends for the first time in aaages and are completely dumbfounded by today's fashion, mini dresses covering nothing but nipples and ass cheeks, meanwhile you are 'still' wearing jeans and fitted shirt feeling totally and utterly out of place..modesty can be a right bitch..or is it just old age?!? LOL! :lol:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    i know i'm getting old when i agree with practically everything said in this thread! :shock: :P :lol:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    i know i'm getting old when i agree with practically everything said in this thread! :shock: :P :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol: ..THE BEST..ALWAYS U PUT THE BEST POSTS,... :lol::lol:
  • Options

:mrgreen:

you know what? quality IS definitely more important!

guess i am just illustrating my age tho, eh? ;)

btw - i try never to use the expression 'when i was your age' or 'when i was younger'....sure, sometimes it's unavoidable, but overall, i do try and avoid it. again, just showing my age..... :mrgreen:

and i despise the expression 'she looks great for her age'....! :evil:
    I Know exactly what are u talking about.. :D
  • Options
    You know you're getting old when you have to go for an afternoon nap... not that I do that of course... no no no no no...

:oops: