Options

You know you're getting old when...

Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
edited October 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
you go out with friends to a pub and see an extension lead plugged in and turned on with nothing in it, think "Bloody hell that's dangerous, what if someone spills a drink on it!" and turn it off...

Like I did on Saturday night :oops: :lol:

What about everyone else? :D
Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    When you realise people born in the 90s are now old enough to work :shock: ... and think of the 80s as retro :? :o ... I swear walking around certain parts of London it's like being in a time warp
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    when you suddenly realize how embarrassing young people can behave......
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Your 4th grader needs to explain to you the New Math. What was wrong with the old math?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    chime wrote:
    When you realise people born in the 90s are now old enough to work :shock: ... and think of the 80s as retro :? :o ... I swear walking around certain parts of London it's like being in a time warp

Try the people in the 90's are old enough to be your children :shock:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    electric blankets start to look appealing :shock:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    You can't stay awake past 10 PM and you wake up at 4 AM
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    your ears grow hair
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    you get annoyed when kids dont hold the door open for an old lady.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    you get annoyed when kids dont hold the door open for an old lady.

And you're the old lady.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    ....I broke a wooden spoon and thought to myself "hey, I should keep the long handle because it would be perfect to use to stir a tin of house paint".....when I've never stirred house paint in my adult years at all and have no plans to. :?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    When it seems more people are younger than me than older than me;
    When I start every other sentence with, "When I was your age . . ."
    When I realize I don't remember much that happened in my 30s because nothing much happened in my 30s, and I don't have the brain space to remember meaningless stuff.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    chime wrote:

Try the people in the 90's are old enough to be your children :shock:

Worse yet....you have some born in the late 80's.... :roll:
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    when your kids want dropped off for school,around the corner :|
  • Options
    when you actually say the phrase

"you'll take someones eye out with that"

particularly bad if your kid is playing with a balloon.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    you dye your hair, not simply for a fun color change, but to cover greys... :?

you look at a new outfit/shoes/skirt/whatever and think, is this too young for me? will i look like i am trying to look young?

you look at a hot 20-22 year old and think...man, he's hot. then you feel dirty for looking at a guy who basiclly, while legal, appears to be way too young! (of course you still look and think it, but sure..the guilt is there and cuts into the pleasure, a wee bit anyway) ;)

also, every time you are in a bar or restaurant and see younger people ordering drinks, you just think...no way, they can't be 21! and you realize, yes, more than likely they are....and you too once looked *that* young. :|:D:mrgreen:

thanks for the reminders sian....... :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    You post in the "You know you're getting old when..." Thread
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    you use your ear and nose hair trimmer just as often as your razor.
  • Options

:lol:

i don't know how true it is, but i've read/heard that outside of determining male gender the ONLY other factor that the Y chromosome adds is the ability to grow additional ear and nose hair. you men deserve to get sumthin' extra. ;)

btw - BD....someone under the age of 30, maybe even 25?....started this thread! :twisted:
    so you know you're really getting old when you think, wtf, WHY is someone under 30 starting a 'you know you're getting old' thread?! :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted:

jk sian.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Nastasja wrote:
    when you suddenly realize how embarrassing young people can behave......

ha..ha...yep, I have been doing that. I think "did I act like that?" :P
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options

i don't know how true it is, but i've read/heard that outside of determining male gender the ONLY other factor that the Y chromosome adds is the ability to grow additional ear and nose hair. you men deserve to get sumthin' extra. ;)

btw - BD....someone under the age of 30, maybe even 25?....started this thread! :twisted:
    so you know you're really getting old when you think, wtf, WHY is someone under 30 starting a 'you know you're getting old' thread?! :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted:

jk sian.

No it's fine! :lol:

I've just been feeling old lately... and Saturday night's extension lead incident topped it all off!

It's also didn't help that on the same night, one of my friends was being tickled and I stopped it saying "if you carry on like that he'll bang his head" :oops:

• Options

jk sian.

Yeah you're right!

The nerve Sian! :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    You post in the "You know you're getting old when..." Thread
    :lol::lol::lol: plus uno!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options

I've just been feeling old lately... and Saturday night's extension lead incident topped it all off!

It's also didn't help that on the same night, one of my friends was being tickled and I stopped it saying "if you carry on like that he'll bang his head" :oops:

well just stop that! immediately! :twisted:
    *said in best, older, authoratative voice*
    :mrgreen:

you just did a 35 mile bike ride!
    you are under 30!
    ENJOY!

let those of us who basically know we are middle-aged, hang on a bit longer to thinking...nah, i'm not that old yet. ;)

i repeat - you're under 30!
    ENJOY!
    8-)

i just checked your profile :oops: :twisted: :lol: ...you're 25!
    sweet bejeebus - you're in your prime! ENJOY!

i am in my second prime..... ;)
    and yes, i do realize.....you know you're getting old when you lecture younger people to enjoy their youth. :mrgreen: :geek: 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

well just stop that! immediately! :twisted:
    *said in best, older, authoratative voice*

you just did a 35 mile bike ride!
    you are under 30!
    ENJOY!

let those of us who basically know we are middle-aged, hang on a bit longer to thinking...nah, i'm not that old yet. ;)

i repeat - you're under 30!
    ENJOY!
    8-)

i just checked your profile :oops: :twisted: :lol: ...you're 25!
    sweet bejeebus - you're in your prime! ENJOY!

i am in my second prime..... ;)
    and yes, i do realize.....you know you're getting old when you lecture younger people to enjoy their youth. :mrgreen: :geek: 8-)

:lol: Trust me, I'm an old 25!

I just thought the thread would be entertaining... as there seems to be an increasing number of 'youngsters' about these days... :?

Remember, you're only as old as the man you feel, D2D ;)

• Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    When you're buying booze at the grocery store and the automatic scanner says to look at ID and the kid at the manager station gives you a look like "oh, you're really old, so sorry the machine is so ignorant". Even when I really don't look that old. Compared to other 37 year old white men.
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    When you're buying booze at the grocery store and the automatic scanner says to look at ID and the kid at the manager station gives you a look like "oh, you're really old, so sorry the machine is so ignorant". Even when I really don't look that old. Compared to other 37 year old white men.

That was gonna be my next one!

I stopped being ID'ed this year and I don't know whether to be happy or sad about it :lol:

• Options
    gabers wrote:

That was gonna be my next one!

I stopped being ID'ed this year and I don't know whether to be happy or sad about it :lol:

The best is when you get carded now, makes my day :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    And when you do get ID'd (automatically I'm sure, the guy never even looked at me) you laugh in the checkout guys face and say 'you're kidding me, right?' :lol:

At least he had the good grace to blush :mrgreen:
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    1) when you realize people who were born in the same year that TEN and NEVERMIND were released are now graduating or have graduated high school

2) when you realize that you have now been out of high school for over half your life

3) you remember carrying around boom boxes through the streets and playing/using cassettes

4) players you had baseball cards of now have sons who are now playing in the major leagues

5) you remember what it was like to use a pay phone and had a system to get out of a collect call

6) you know or knew how to change a typewriter ribbon

7) you have drunk water straight from the hose outside your house

8) weekends were a reason to go out and try and meet and see other people, not sit at home and try to avoid other people

9) the biggest thought about money was how many beers and shots i can buy with my paycheck this week

10) you remember when banks were only open 10-3 except on friday nights when they would be open until 7:00
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It's funny, I'm 18 and have been in Montreal for a month and a half, and have gotten carded once...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V