Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    hedonist said:

Jenny, you don't need validation from others.

To paraphrase the Beatles, it's within and without you.

Plus, sometimes you just need to give everything a laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Oh I know, easier said than done though! Sure who doesn't want friends and for people to like them? It's all well and good saying the main thing is that you like yourself but it's quite hard to do so when you're constantly wondering why nobody else seems to think you're worth knowing or spending time with. No man is an island and all that haha
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894

Pap said:

Well that was suitably depressing. Scott and I have much in common ha

I just wanted to show you how fake everything on Facebook is.
    I know, I did understand that aspect of it but it also highlighted to me how, like Scott, I am guilty of wanting people to validate my existence on facebook, like my comments and photos etc. It's bloody pathetic, I know that and yet it feels like something you can't control? Hence I now think it's better for me not to interact on facebook at all because then I can't fall into the same old trap again.
    I have been guilty of this for sure. I think there are certain types of personalities that shouldn't be on social media. mine included. I post something I think is funny, if it doesn't get any likes or reactions or comments I get kind of down. it really is stupid. but that's the state of society now. instant gratification in all facets. but then I have deleted my account before, and then I feel like I'm "missing something", like I wasn't invited to the party. it really seems silly, but it is human nature. it's empty communication. we are social beings, and we spend so much time on social media, but it doesn't give us the real face to face communication that we desire. get out into the real world and engage. social media is fake. I can't watch the video above at work, but I know for a FACT that 99% of facebook users use it like people wear makeup: hiding the blemishes, accentuating the good features to the point of it being unnatural. nowadays I see right through that stuff. there's one couple in particular that I'm friends with, that if you only knew them through facebook, you'd think their life is paradise day in and day out. it is just so transparent and dumb.

on national mental health day, I posted about my own struggles; all real, no editing, no filter. you wouldn't believe the reaction from people I never knew had the same struggles. some on the post, some in private messages. but the message to me was clear: we are all the same. we all struggle. no one is exempt from sadness, depression (clinical or situational), loneliness, etc, no matter what our online presence presents to the world.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Pap said:

I know, I did understand that aspect of it but it also highlighted to me how, like Scott, I am guilty of wanting people to validate my existence on facebook, like my comments and photos etc. It's bloody pathetic, I know that and yet it feels like something you can't control? Hence I now think it's better for me not to interact on facebook at all because then I can't fall into the same old trap again.
    I have been guilty of this for sure. I think there are certain types of personalities that shouldn't be on social media. mine included. I post something I think is funny, if it doesn't get any likes or reactions or comments I get kind of down. it really is stupid. but that's the state of society now. instant gratification in all facets. but then I have deleted my account before, and then I feel like I'm "missing something", like I wasn't invited to the party. it really seems silly, but it is human nature. it's empty communication. we are social beings, and we spend so much time on social media, but it doesn't give us the real face to face communication that we desire. get out into the real world and engage. social media is fake. I can't watch the video above at work, but I know for a FACT that 99% of facebook users use it like people wear makeup: hiding the blemishes, accentuating the good features to the point of it being unnatural. nowadays I see right through that stuff. there's one couple in particular that I'm friends with, that if you only knew them through facebook, you'd think their life is paradise day in and day out. it is just so transparent and dumb.

on national mental health day, I posted about my own struggles; all real, no editing, no filter. you wouldn't believe the reaction from people I never knew had the same struggles. some on the post, some in private messages. but the message to me was clear: we are all the same. we all struggle. no one is exempt from sadness, depression (clinical or situational), loneliness, etc, no matter what our online presence presents to the world.
    Thanks for sharing. You're right I know, nobody's life is perfect, even though it's tempting to think that sometimes. I'm frequently guilty of feeling envious of people I know, perceiving their lives to be so much better than my own. It's actually the trait I despise most in myself, that tendency towards envy and jealousy. Countless times I have asked myself what it achieves? Being envious of others won't change anything about my own life, it will simply make me feel crap. You can't change your looks, your family or your personality. You are who you are. The best example I can give is my former badminton partner. She is tall, pretty, everyone loves her, she has a great family and they're really close. She has a long-term boyfriend and they're about to buy a house together, oh and she has passed me out in badminton so that she's now sought after as a partner and has left me behind. I envy her all this and yet this is such wasted emotion. I can never be as pretty or as popular as her, I can't have her family :tongue: So on and so forth. I know this, I understand this, and yet......

You can see how I frustrate myself! It's like a constant battle against my own thoughts and feelings, I could write a book on being my own worst enemy. How is it that you can essentially conspire against yourself, is it something wrong in the hardwiring of the brain?? I'm sure the psychology of it is quite interesting, good thing we don't have a culture of therapy here or they'd be making a fortune out of me
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894

Pap said:

Thanks for sharing. You're right I know, nobody's life is perfect, even though it's tempting to think that sometimes. I'm frequently guilty of feeling envious of people I know, perceiving their lives to be so much better than my own. It's actually the trait I despise most in myself, that tendency towards envy and jealousy. Countless times I have asked myself what it achieves? Being envious of others won't change anything about my own life, it will simply make me feel crap. You can't change your looks, your family or your personality. You are who you are. The best example I can give is my former badminton partner. She is tall, pretty, everyone loves her, she has a great family and they're really close. She has a long-term boyfriend and they're about to buy a house together, oh and she has passed me out in badminton so that she's now sought after as a partner and has left me behind. I envy her all this and yet this is such wasted emotion. I can never be as pretty or as popular as her, I can't have her family :tongue: So on and so forth. I know this, I understand this, and yet......

You can see how I frustrate myself! It's like a constant battle against my own thoughts and feelings, I could write a book on being my own worst enemy. How is it that you can essentially conspire against yourself, is it something wrong in the hardwiring of the brain?? I'm sure the psychology of it is quite interesting, good thing we don't have a culture of therapy here or they'd be making a fortune out of me
    your good looking badminton friend has her own struggles. believe me. her life isn't perfect, no matter if it seems that way. the people who LOOK as if they have it all often are the most troubled.

a good self help book or meditation or yoga class would do you wonders. or just simply making an effort to go for a walk every day. hell, those two things would do ME wonders.

if you wish to talk further about this, pm me. I think I've taken up enough of this thread with my ramblings. LOL

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Pap said:

your good looking badminton friend has her own struggles. believe me. her life isn't perfect, no matter if it seems that way. the people who LOOK as if they have it all often are the most troubled.

a good self help book or meditation or yoga class would do you wonders. or just simply making an effort to go for a walk every day. hell, those two things would do ME wonders.

if you wish to talk further about this, pm me. I think I've taken up enough of this thread with my ramblings. LOL

Haha, you're too kind, we both know it's my boring ramblings :tongue:

Exercise is indeed my refuge, on that note I'm going to shut up and go spend an hour on my exercise bike reading a good book! Thanks again for listening :smile:
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Jenny, for what it's worth: I'm envious that you live in Dublin. It is such a beautiful city. And if you need a break, the rest of Europe is easily accessible.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

Jenny, for what it's worth: I'm envious that you live in Dublin. It is such a beautiful city. And if you need a break, the rest of Europe is easily accessible.

Oh I do love my home, I know I have many things to be thankful for :smile: By the way, if you ever need a break, we have a few spare rooms :wink:
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I'd love a break...
    I will have a break when I get home though.....lol
    Good thing we can never be bought...
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

SD48277 said:

Oh I do love my home, I know I have many things to be thankful for :smile: By the way, if you ever need a break, we have a few spare rooms :wink:
    Thank you! That is a very generous offer. :smile:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Luke 9;23
    Galatians 3;13
    Matthew 27;46
    Hebrews 10;(12),13
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Pap said:

HFD, It is nice to have your perspective. I appreciate reading your honesty.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    When I will die, there will be no speech, just music and photos of me laughing.
  • Options
    Mind you own business
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    Today is National Tell The Truth Day....imagine a world where EVERYONE told the the truth. Also it's world chocolate day......ok I'll pick some Kit Kat and Snickers bars.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

Today is National Tell The Truth Day....imagine a world where EVERYONE told the the truth. Also it's world chocolate day......ok I'll pick some Kit Kat and Snickers bars.

Peace

We can't handle the truth :tongue:
  • Options

g under p said:

Peace

Speak for yourself lol

That's why I'm not worried bc I know the truth...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

g under p said:

Peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhAS1qiuu1Q
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    I love when weeks fly by because you get to do work activities outside/in the bays instead of in the cube farm :smiley:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    FrankieG said:

I love when weeks fly by because you get to do work activities outside/in the bays instead of in the cube farm :smiley:

May I ask what is your job I can't make it out
  • Options
    People who talk about helping the environment and then littering.

:anguished:
  • Options
    John 8;32
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,397
    edited July 2016

You can see how I frustrate myself! It's like a constant battle against my own thoughts and feelings, I could write a book on being my own worst enemy. How is it that you can essentially conspire against yourself, is it something wrong in the hardwiring of the brain??

The man they call my enemy... I've seen his eyes... He looks just like me... A mirror...
    The brain is wired... The brain is deep... Oh are you sinking?...
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Would rather keep listening to music and riding its wave than turn back to the news right now.

And I'm glad I did - was able to.

Fucking Wynton Marsalis!

First he pays awesome tribute to Satchmo, now Haydn?

Aural balm, and then salm.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,584
    JWPearl said:

g under p said:

Peace

Speak for yourself lol

You are the lucky one who knows the truth????..share it..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

JWPearl said:

g under p said:

Peace

Speak for yourself lol

You are the lucky one who knows the truth????..share it..
    I do accept for what is my privacy lol..
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,315
    i love Elaine Hendrix
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Dallas. :frowning:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,256
    Quite a few job rejections this week, and I'm in atrial fibulation, which is common for people with heart defects, but it is still scary.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    My girlfriend apparently she gets all her ideas from God Jesus and the Angels and they guide and protect us.....interesting I thought...I guess there's no hiding when justice is met...
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,256
    edited July 2016
    Atrial Fibrillation drugs aren't working. Going to the hospital for a couple days to try out a new drug so that the staff can monitor my response. I hope it works. I don't like hospitals. They make me sad.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird