Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    pizza
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    long walks
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    1 Corinthians 15;50
    John 4;24
    John 3;3-8
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    So someone messaged me on facebook as I've been off it for a while. Was nice that someone thought of me but now I regret being honest in my reply as there's been a deafening silence since! Is it any wonder that when someone asks 'how are you', we all just reply 'oh fine grand'? People don't really want to know the honest answer and to have to deal with it. Lesson learned....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

So someone messaged me on facebook as I've been off it for a while. Was nice that someone thought of me but now I regret being honest in my reply as there's been a deafening silence since! Is it any wonder that when someone asks 'how are you', we all just reply 'oh fine grand'? People don't really want to know the honest answer and to have to deal with it. Lesson learned....

Sometimes some are more comfortable with niceties vs genuineness.

Never regret being honest, Jenny. The lack of response is on them, not you. Plus there may be more to their silence than their silence.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Never regret being honest, Jenny. The lack of response is on them, not you. Plus there may be more to their silence than their silence.
    Thanks Hedo. It kinda cheered me up to get the message and then she managed to bring me down again by ignoring my reply. My experience of taking a break from Facebook has really just shown me how false online friends usually are. You tell yourself it's great you have all these people to talk to but really they're only there when it suits them and when you're good craic, not when you actually need them
  • Options
    Romans 9;18
    Revelations 22:16(17)
    2 Corinthians 3;17
    Romans 8;5
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Trips, vacation
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

JWPearl said:

I really could do with a date for my brother's wedding...of course the fact that I have never had a date in my life does present something of a challenge...

have you ever thought of rsvp or something and make sure you take a couple with you or something
    what do you mean by rsvp? Wedding invites usually only a plus 1. I only have one male friend and he doesn't want to come.

The problem with this wedding is that I won't know anyone there other than my dad, his wife and my younger half-brothers and half-sister, who really I barely know at all. I'm also likely to be an object of a degree of interest, as my dad's illegitimate eldest daughter with another woman haha
    Ask your one male friend to suck it up and go with you even if he doesn't want to, because you need him to do you this favour?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094

hedonist said:

Thanks Hedo. It kinda cheered me up to get the message and then she managed to bring me down again by ignoring my reply. My experience of taking a break from Facebook has really just shown me how false online friends usually are. You tell yourself it's great you have all these people to talk to but really they're only there when it suits them and when you're good craic, not when you actually need them
    this happens to me a lot. I stopped lying. I would usually just say the expected "pretty good, how are you?", but when my anxiety/depression hit a peak last summer, it was actually exhausting to keep the lie going. it chipped away at me. I knew who was really asking the question based on if they had follow up questions the next day, the next week, the next month. The others, I don't blame them, just like the conversation starter. some people, as hedo said, aren't comfortable with seeing into your closet. they just want to comment on the furniture.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JWPearl said:

I really could do with a date for my brother's wedding...of course the fact that I have never had a date in my life does present something of a challenge...

have you ever thought of rsvp or something and make sure you take a couple with you or something
    what do you mean by rsvp? Wedding invites usually only a plus 1. I only have one male friend and he doesn't want to come.

The problem with this wedding is that I won't know anyone there other than my dad, his wife and my younger half-brothers and half-sister, who really I barely know at all. I'm also likely to be an object of a degree of interest, as my dad's illegitimate eldest daughter with another woman haha
    Ask your one male friend to suck it up and go with you even if he doesn't want to, because you need him to do you this favour?
    or, go alone! it might seem weird at first, but if anyone asks why you are alone, say "I didn't want to babysit anybody tonight; I just wanted to be free". stay for dinner and the speeches, if you find yourself bored and lonely, leave. you are not obligated to stay past the speeches, and definitley not for the garter belt ridiculousness of parading all the single souls up in front of everyone, if people still do that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2016

If I was you I'd go alone, because then its easier to meet someone, I really hope you'll have a good time Jnimhaoileoin !!!
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2016

hedonist said:

this happens to me a lot. I stopped lying. I would usually just say the expected "pretty good, how are you?", but when my anxiety/depression hit a peak last summer, it was actually exhausting to keep the lie going. it chipped away at me. I knew who was really asking the question based on if they had follow up questions the next day, the next week, the next month. The others, I don't blame them, just like the conversation starter. some people, as hedo said, aren't comfortable with seeing into your closet. they just want to comment on the furniture.
    Yeah, I am just always honest. I actually can't stand empty niceties and pointless small talk. How boring! I want substance and honesty and reality.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Thanks guys, on the slim chance that I might meet someone, maybe I will go to the wedding alone :smile:

I wish I could be honest about how I feel and tell someone when I'm struggling but really, nobody wants to know. Sad but true, that's life! For that reason, I will always be there for anyone who needs to talk
  • Options
    I'm just thinking about how little traffic there is on these boards when most of you aren't at work. :lol:;)
  • Options
    Think I will get married with the dawn and the garden with family nice to join up that way so close.....
    Should be superb and whatever bad happens I'm sure we can met justice and take care of it...
    For the boss too is our friend and we can find things out easily...
    Benefits of seats...
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,771
    My mind is grey..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    how much I would like to see the a/c repair guy pull up in the driveway with the right a/c parts..
    also, how cute my two little dogs look flattened out on the floor in front of the fan :)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm just thinking about how little traffic there is on these boards when most of you aren't at work. :lol:;)

this is so true. you might notice I come here 9-5, Monday to Friday. LOL.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Thanks guys, on the slim chance that I might meet someone, maybe I will go to the wedding alone :smile:

I wish I could be honest about how I feel and tell someone when I'm struggling but really, nobody wants to know. Sad but true, that's life! For that reason, I will always be there for anyone who needs to talk

just one time, one day, say "ah, not the best". you'd be surprised how many people might actually act concerned and ask a follow up. or may share a story of their own.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited July 2016

stupid double post.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

just one time, one day, say "ah, not the best". you'd be surprised how many people might actually act concerned and ask a follow up. or may share a story of their own.
    You're right, I would be surprised :tongue: I could never do it face to face and that's pretty much the only way anyone ever talks to me now, when I venture out into the big bad world. Usually I just wait for the gloom to pass and put up with feeling miserable. Eventually you wake up one day and feel a bit better, then gradually rejoin society! Sure I'm still hanging out here, that's something :smile:
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    Summer is here! The humidity this morning . . . oh, my! Where is the ocean, and where is the car to take me to it?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I've marked about a billion exam papers today. I think a nice cold beer is on my mind.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

My mind is grey..

The mind is grey like the city... Are you turning into a Ghost? :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap said:
    Well that was suitably depressing. Scott and I have much in common ha
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I just wanted to show you how fake everything on Facebook is.
  • Options
    Pap said:

I just wanted to show you how fake everything on Facebook is.
    I know, I did understand that aspect of it but it also highlighted to me how, like Scott, I am guilty of wanting people to validate my existence on facebook, like my comments and photos etc. It's bloody pathetic, I know that and yet it feels like something you can't control? Hence I now think it's better for me not to interact on facebook at all because then I can't fall into the same old trap again.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jenny, you don't need validation from others.

To paraphrase the Beatles, it's within and without you.

Plus, sometimes you just need to give everything a laugh at the absurdity of it all.