Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    ldent42 said:

My mother just told me that my niece, who lives in America, has been getting calls from the American Army trying to recruit her as she's going into her final year in school. I never realised they recruit so aggressively, or that they target foreigners as well! Strange....it's a whole different world over there

you wouldn't believe how bad it was in like 2002. I don't know what the universal rule is or if they is one, and I can only speak from my own experience, but the public High School would give over the information of students who were 17+ to the army recruiters. They would specifically target poorly performing schools (which are in poor neighborhoods) and target students with less than stellar records. One of my friends they flat out asked him when the last time he got high. Not like 'do you use any drugs' but flat out 'how long has it been'. And they came after me too, but I told them to fuck off and hung up on them - they called me back and told me the police were on their way to my apartment and recited my address to me, because I "verbally harassed" them. I didn't stick around to find out if the cops ever showed up or not. One of the tactics they'd use going after the boys was to tell them that they'd never get into college and even if they did by some miracle they're not able to pay for it. They would go after them before they got to the point of looking at schools where they would learn about financial aid and CUNY, it might sound stupid cuz I mean we'd just been attacked - you could see that shit from my HS they had cops in front of the windows for that reason, but a lot of my friends bought into it, got sucked in or convinced or whatever you'd like to call it. As of right now none of them have gotten a college degree using the GI Bill. But one of them is like very close and he's even in a private school, so hes probably going to be the first. Still, we're talking 1 out of like 15+?

It's fucking scary. And terrible.
    Wow - I had no idea this sort of thing goes on. Is it even legal for the schools to hand over this information to recruiters?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I have no idea if it's legal or not, but I mean it's the army so it wouldn't really matter if it were illegal. What I remember happening was there was a period of time - could've been two weeks could've been two days, I don't remember exactly - where everyone I knew (and in those days it was A LOT of people) from my school got the same type of phone call from the Army recruiting office. Those of us who had poor grades got a more aggressive pitch "When are you gonna get your life together?" was the line I specifically remember being used on me. The Catholic/Private school kids didn't get those calls. There was buzz about it for a while with a general "WTF" reaction from all us kids.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I miss all you degenerates here!

My days have been filled with workigworkingworking...like I never take an 'official' break, I walk the beach for an hour instead. But, I haven't logged onto my laptop in over a week-I'm actually on it right now...I don't have time to check in as much as I want to...my brain is filled with dog toys and treats...I do think of Boomer, and if he'd like certain toys...like the goat ones.

I had a submission for the Mother F***er thread...something bit me on the ankle last week, it swelled up something awful and looked just like I twisted it, minus the purple. Still a bit swollen, it would qualify as a 'cankle' and it itches like crazy. It makes a lovely popping sound when I try to stretch it.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ^^^look, I can't even have complete thoughts...just rambling...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    ldent42 said:

I have no idea if it's legal or not, but I mean it's the army so it wouldn't really matter if it were illegal. What I remember happening was there was a period of time - could've been two weeks could've been two days, I don't remember exactly - where everyone I knew (and in those days it was A LOT of people) from my school got the same type of phone call from the Army recruiting office. Those of us who had poor grades got a more aggressive pitch "When are you gonna get your life together?" was the line I specifically remember being used on me. The Catholic/Private school kids didn't get those calls. There was buzz about it for a while with a general "WTF" reaction from all us kids.

Well my sister-in-law isn't passing on any of their messages, nor would my niece have any interest so they're wasting their time!
  • Options
    On a scale of one to ten I think dreaming about Azerbaijani pole vaulters must rate pretty high on the weird scale?

Perhaps weirder is the wildly varying subject matter of my dreams last night. From the pole vaulter I was then being arrested for leaving a floral tribute to 'Mrs Ryanair' to the house across the road after it had accidentally been left outside our house. (Was put on trial for breaking in, even though I just left it outside their door.).

Then I was attending my father's funeral in a wedding dress, except it was in a courtroom. For some reason I seemed to get on the judge's good side by telling him how I had been the inventor behind certain things that had brought my father some kind of business success? Yeah that bit is a little hazy haha

In another random part of the dream I was playing a soccer match and the other team were really bad. Of course it helped that I seemed to be playing with old Bayern Munich legends like Mehmet School and Zé Roberto..

Anyhoo, I don't usually remember so much so just thought I'd share my weirdness ha
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099

On a scale of one to ten I think dreaming about Azerbaijani pole vaulters must rate pretty high on the weird scale?

Perhaps weirder is the wildly varying subject matter of my dreams last night. From the pole vaulter I was then being arrested for leaving a floral tribute to 'Mrs Ryanair' to the house across the road after it had accidentally been left outside our house. (Was put on trial for breaking in, even though I just left it outside their door.).

Then I was attending my father's funeral in a wedding dress, except it was in a courtroom. For some reason I seemed to get on the judge's good side by telling him how I had been the inventor behind certain things that had brought my father some kind of business success? Yeah that bit is a little hazy haha

In another random part of the dream I was playing a soccer match and the other team were really bad. Of course it helped that I seemed to be playing with old Bayern Munich legends like Mehmet School and Zé Roberto..

Anyhoo, I don't usually remember so much so just thought I'd share my weirdness ha

I don't remember my dreams much at all, but I have started to write them down.... Looking back, I have some weird stuff in that notebook haha
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I should have never gone to sleep so early, now I'm going to feel like a coffee and get no sleep, it's only 1.13am
  • Options

Did you eat junk food before bed? lol
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    I'm reading about state governments looking to ban the Confederate flag, but wishing they were talking about a way to stop the killings instead....
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    FrankieG said:

I'm reading about state governments looking to ban the Confederate flag, but wishing they were talking about a way to stop the killings instead....

With you on that! What is the point in banning a piece of heritage? Not saying it's a piece of my heritage but it is a piece of history....that's just stupid....especially while all this murder...mass murders...that have nothing to do with the confederate flag are happening all around the country....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

FrankieG said:

With you on that! What is the point in banning a piece of heritage? Not saying it's a piece of my heritage but it is a piece of history....that's just stupid....especially while all this murder...mass murders...that have nothing to do with the confederate flag are happening all around the country....
    Well I agree with banning symbols of racism, which I think the confederate flag is. But more so, I think it's a cop out to not have the more important conversation. But I'd rather not get into it here in AET, and I very rarely like to go over to AMT haha
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752

PJ_Soul said:

I suddenly have a really random hankering to watch Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure..... I like that their shitty music somehow brings peace and harmony to the world, lol.

I was JUST thinking about that movie!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    My 42 yr. Old, no-kid-having-ass, is watching Box Trolls!! LmaoYKM! Hide your cheese!!
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863

My 42 yr. Old, no-kid-having-ass, is watching Box Trolls!! LmaoYKM! Hide your cheese!!

LOL, You're too cute!!!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Did you eat junk food before bed? lol
    Nope, I don't eat junk food (assuming I know what that is!). I do eat a lot at night generally though, right up to when I go to bed haha
  • Options
    oh gosh thats f!@#$% funny
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

FrankieG said:

Long discussion on AMT about this if you are interested. It's not really possible to boil it down but there are a lot of counter points to the "heritage" argument (and the ban discussed was really only applicable to display on government premises, not private property).
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,115
    FrankieG said:

On a similar note, I'm trying to decide if I want to post in the Confederate flag thread. As a native South Carolinian, I guess my views are more complex than just it should be taken down (which, ultimately, is my position). I think though, that I wouldn't be eloquent enough in my response to have people think I'm not some backwoods redneck.
  • Options

FrankieG said:

On a similar note, I'm trying to decide if I want to post in the Confederate flag thread. As a native South Carolinian, I guess my views are more complex than just it should be taken down (which, ultimately, is my position). I think though, that I wouldn't be eloquent enough in my response to have people think I'm not some backwoods redneck.
    I hope you do decide to post; all views are welcome, particularly those from the south, and you don't seem to lack eloquence.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,115

FrankieG said:

I hope you do decide to post; all views are welcome, particularly those from the south, and you don't seem to lack eloquence.
    Thank you. I'm a computer programmer, and while it is a bit of a cliche, I sometimes feel that I don't explain myself that well. I think I'll give it some more thought and let you all shred me to pieces lol.
  • Options
    I was trying to find out the location of a store we (*my teenager) want to go to when we're in New York this weekend so I clicked on google maps. In addition to the map, I got helpful directions to the store, from my current location. In Victoria, BC. I now know how to drive there, which is apparently going to take me 47 hours (not sure if I get breaks or not). More interesting is the info on how to walk there - all 2,863 miles. Expect me in 5 weeks or so, if I start now...
  • Options

FrankieG said:

It would be interesting to see where you stand, and what your views are. My heritage had long used the symbol known as the swastika long before Hitler, it represents universal harmony. He disgrased the symbol, and I can go into a long personal story about it, but I will just say that I am saddened by certain things that once meant something good becoming a symbol of hate.
    I don't know the entire story of the confederate flag, but I'd like to read the history and see if I still feel the same way I do now.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,767
    How much asshole can someone be..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,133
    Going back to sleep

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    feel a little bent
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    EDIT: This was suppose to quote oftenreading, oh well... /edit

After I posted this I went over there and started to read a littl eof that thread.. I'll have to go through it a little more today and then maybe I will give my views.

In other news, I'm going to a wedding this weekend (its not mine haha), but I'm still looking forward to it alot.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I had a great day yesterday, which is more than I can say for a lot of days. Great dinner (had a burger with bacon, pickled onions, and a sunny side up egg--calories don't count in summer, right?), great concert (Tedeschi Trucks Band with Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings opening)! I'm sad it's over! Also applied for an internship that looks pretty awesome.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    ZOMG how is it after 2 already?!?!?!

I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date!
    No time to say Hello! Goodbye!
    I'm late! I'm late! I'm late!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    That, over the next two nights, basically any desperate horny single guy around Boston would probably do OK for himself if he just hung around TD Garden and struck up a conversation with one of the members of the fairer sex exiting the NKOTB concert.

Just sayin'....
    I SAW PEARL JAM