Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    SD48277 said:

Chicago! I don't know if you like taking in museums, but the Art Institute of Chicago is worth checking out. And you can see The Bean in Grant Park on the way to the Institute.

I do enjoy art! There's actually a wonderful art museum in Detroit that not a lot of people know about. They're having a big Diego Rivera/Freida Kahlo exhibit until July, and I think the bf and I are gonna hit it up next week!

And of course we gotta hit up the bean! Gonna have to make a 'what to do in Chicago' thread (if there isn't an old one from PJ at Wrigley floating around somewhere) closer to the day of show!

I am really excited, I love exploring new places, especially cities :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    samjam said:

SD48277 said:

Chicago! I don't know if you like taking in museums, but the Art Institute of Chicago is worth checking out. And you can see The Bean in Grant Park on the way to the Institute.

I do enjoy art! There's actually a wonderful art museum in Detroit that not a lot of people know about. They're having a big Diego Rivera/Freida Kahlo exhibit until July, and I think the bf and I are gonna hit it up next week!

And of course we gotta hit up the bean! Gonna have to make a 'what to do in Chicago' thread (if there isn't an old one from PJ at Wrigley floating around somewhere) closer to the day of show!

I heard about the Rivera/Kahlo exhibit. I wish I lived closer so I could check that out. Please report back on how it is.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    It'll sound awful but I was thinking living in Detroit might be a bit more home-like than what's happening to NY these days. This was after Anthony Bordain did his rust belt episode.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

It'll sound awful but I was thinking living in Detroit might be a bit more home-like than what's happening to NY these days. This was after Anthony Bordain did his rust belt episode.

I do have to say, it's pretty awesome to have moved here when I did. The city is really expanding and rebuilding and it's really awesome to see and be a small part of.

But the good news for me is that NY will always be home, and I don't see my mom moving out of state, so I always have good ol NY to come back to when I visit my mom :)
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    samjam said:

SD48277 said:

go hit up 81 to show you around Chicago...he's fun times. Tell him I sent you and he'll be nice, I promise.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    samjam said:

ldent42 said:

I do have to say, it's pretty awesome to have moved here when I did. The city is really expanding and rebuilding and it's really awesome to see and be a small part of.

But the good news for me is that NY will always be home, and I don't see my mom moving out of state, so I always have good ol NY to come back to when I visit my mom :)
    Plus with the rents low it makes it better for small businesses right? So you get mom n pop shops rather than Chase and Starbucks and CVS on every Damn block.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

samjam said:

ldent42 said:

Plus with the rents low it makes it better for small businesses right? So you get mom n pop shops rather than Chase and Starbucks and CVS on every Damn block.
    Yes and no (but mostly yes). Many of the big buildings in Detroit are owned by the same person/company (Dan Gilbert/Quicken Loans), but as for the smaller ones, yes, there are a ton of unique-to-Detroit restaurants/bars/stores/small businesses. There's really not many chain restaurants or chain retail downtown. I absolutely love that aspect!

And I may have to take your advice, RCKNDY, albeit I may be a little scared if there's a preface of 'he'll be nice, I promise' haha :)
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    samjam said:

ldent42 said:

samjam said:

ldent42 said:

Yes and no (but mostly yes). Many of the big buildings in Detroit are owned by the same person/company (Dan Gilbert/Quicken Loans), but as for the smaller ones, yes, there are a ton of unique-to-Detroit restaurants/bars/stores/small businesses. There's really not many chain restaurants or chain retail downtown. I absolutely love that aspect!

And I may have to take your advice, RCKNDY, albeit I may be a little scared if there's a preface of 'he'll be nice, I promise' haha :)
    I haven't met him yet.. So I can't say.. But from his personality in here, he's a really good dude.. He just has a twisted sense of humor!
  • Options
    I've been trolling the shit out of this place lately and idk why. I think I spent more time on here than a teenager spends looking at her phone the last few days.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,799
    edited April 2015
    I just woke up from a 5 hr nap, now my sleep for the night is fucked! I may have pushed it a little too much to get the mani/pedi. On the upside I have real purdy toes now.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

I just woke up from a 5 hr nap, now my sleep for the night is fucked! I may have pushed it a little too much to get the mani/pedi. On the upside I have real purdy toes now.

Purty toes!! And I love the tatt!!
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,541
    samjam said:

Why is life so expensive. Everything is expensive.

do you bieleve this??..the greek milk is cheaper in Germany than my country..lol
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    samjam said:

I have an interview on Friday with a company under an umbrella company I've interviewed with two times before (and didn't get the job)...so I guess they like me enough to keep me in mind, at least! As my bf said, "can't they just like you a liiittle bit more?" Here's hoping!

Hoping even more to get a job I interviewed a couple weeks ago. It sounds awesome, is in a great location, and pays 5K more than the job I'm interviewing for on Friday!

But I've learned to expect nothing as far as job interviews go, so we'll see.

Update! I was smart to expect nothing. Just found out they'll be moving forward with another candidate. Again. For the third time. Thanks, guys. Back to square one! It's coming up on a year since I've graduated college and THIS FRIGGIN SUCKS. I am livid right now. Also it's the freaking holiday and I'm far away from my family, so that just adds to the happiness of the day.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    samjam said:

samjam said:

I have an interview on Friday with a company under an umbrella company I've interviewed with two times before (and didn't get the job)...so I guess they like me enough to keep me in mind, at least! As my bf said, "can't they just like you a liiittle bit more?" Here's hoping!

Hoping even more to get a job I interviewed a couple weeks ago. It sounds awesome, is in a great location, and pays 5K more than the job I'm interviewing for on Friday!

Update! I was smart to expect nothing. Just found out they'll be moving forward with another candidate. Again. For the third time. Thanks, guys. Back to square one! It's coming up on a year since I've graduated college and THIS FRIGGIN SUCKS. I am livid right now. Also it's the freaking holiday and I'm far away from my family, so that just adds to the happiness of the day.
    Oh, sam, I'm sorry.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,345
    samjam said:

Many of the big buildings in Detroit are owned by the same person/company (Dan Gilbert/Quicken Loans), but as for the smaller ones, yes, there are a ton of unique-to-Detroit restaurants/bars/stores/small businesses. There's really not many chain restaurants or chain retail downtown. I absolutely love that aspect!

Any Greek restaurants in Detroit? We have nice dishes! :wink:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap said:

samjam said:

Many of the big buildings in Detroit are owned by the same person/company (Dan Gilbert/Quicken Loans), but as for the smaller ones, yes, there are a ton of unique-to-Detroit restaurants/bars/stores/small businesses. There's really not many chain restaurants or chain retail downtown. I absolutely love that aspect!

Quite a few! There's a whole area called Greektown :)
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,345
    samjam said:

Pap said:

Quite a few! There's a whole area called Greektown :)
    Great! :smiley: Try one of those tonight! I'm very certain that the Greek food is going to lift you up. :wink:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    samjam said:

samjam said:

Hugs Sam! It really is a game of luck.. And numbers.. I went through this when I graduated, only people looked at MY degree and LAUGHED.. Some only made it that far before handing me my résumé and having security walk me out. My field was UNHEARD of back then.. It's just NOW, 22 years later, being recognized.. Only now we're Animal Behaviorists, instead of Animal Psychologists. So keep "pushing four walls back"! We all know what a talented and intelligent girl
    You are. It's only a matter of time before done lucky industry lands your services! :-) keep your head up, and always push forward!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited April 2015
    23scidoo said:

samjam said:

Why is life so expensive. Everything is expensive.

do you bieleve this??..the greek milk is cheaper in Germany than my country..lol
    I am personally regularly shocked by how expensive the good brand of Greek yogurt is here, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited April 2015
    samjam said:

samjam said:

It does suck, and sorry you didn't get the job. I know it's frustrating. Not sure of it makes you feel any better, but the fact is, this sounds pretty standard. I don't know many people who had anything better than some random clerk job or a temp job only a year out of college if they aren't working in restaurants or as drivers or in retail still (i personally looked for 6 months, finally settled for a shitty temp position, and then another temp position after that and another after that until I had a couple years of experience and finally wheedled my way into one of the places I had temped at and climbed the ladder from there). Experience is almost everything; education is practically meaningless without it to most people. In steps the age old conundrum: you can't get a good job without experience (or solid connections), and you can't get experience without a job. In steps pure random luck (or not... which is when you open your mind to other industries).

Good luck!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

samjam said:

samjam said:

It does suck, and sorry you didn't get the job. I know it's frustrating. Not sure of it makes you feel any better, but the fact is, this sounds pretty standard. I don't know many people who had anything better than some random clerk job or a temp job only a year out of college if they aren't working in restaurants or as drivers or in retail still (i personally looked for 6 months, finally settled for a shitty temp position, and then another temp position after that and another after that until I had a couple years of experience and finally wheedled my way into one of the places I had temped at and climbed the ladder from there). Experience is almost everything; education is practically meaningless without it to most people. In steps the age old conundrum: you can't get a good job without experience (or solid connections), and you can't get experience without a job. In steps pure random luck (or not... which is when you open your mind to other industries).

Good luck!
    Very true as well!
  • Options
    I'm surprised they actually call to tell you they went with someone else. I didn't know that was something that happened.
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Sam, hang in there! You WILL get a job in the end.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

I'm surprised they actually call to tell you they went with someone else. I didn't know that was something that happened.

It was an e-mail, don't think I've ever gotten a call, unless it was me calling to find out if I would be moving forward in an interview process. But some companies will send e-mails, yes. Normally its an HR person, but this time the guy actually sent the e-mail. He was an exceptionally nice dude when I interviewed him, so I can see how this fits with his personality. At the least, a nice gesture!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It is a nice gesture. A friend of mine is going through a similar situation, Sam, he's been on more interviews in the last couple months than I have in my life. He'll have one or two that he's excited about and when I ask about it later on he's just never heard back from them. Or they had it narrowed down to him and someone else but they haven't decided yet. So it's definitely cool that they at least inform you not to hold out hope. The only other time I've heard of that happening is when you're being set up through an agency like a headhunter or a temp agency.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Hang in there sam! You will find something.

I applied to so many jobs and never heard back. I had filed for unemployment, and went for a year and a half applying and applying, and applying, I only got one call for an interview...a 'group interview', which I think is a stupid way to interview people, everybody talking over each other. ugh.

Temp agencies are a great way to get your foot in the door, most large companies only hire through agencies...sure they put ads out online-they have to-but they go through agencies so it doesn't cost them very much money to invest in a worker to see if they will work out or not.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Partners sometimes suck..........like they REALLY can piss you right off!!!! :angry:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Allergies. Or-- aller-geeze! Going for allergy shot on Monday. Thought I could skip it, but apparently it is a necessary thing for me each spring now. Allegra and Nasonex are no match. :frowning:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    deadendp said:

Allergies. Or-- aller-geeze! Going for allergy shot on Monday. Thought I could skip it, but apparently it is a necessary thing for me each spring now. Allegra and Nasonex are no match. :frowning:

I got allergies too, not that bad though, a little bit of stuffy nose and itchy eyes and bit of a cough(which could still be from the virus I had)...

Hope the shot helps you! I know when I lived in KY though, not too far from the ohio border, my allergies were HORRIFIC!!! So I can imagine how bad yours are...that area is bad for seasonal allergies, my grandpa always had trouble too....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Same here. I've been blowing my nose for three days now.
    ELITIST FUK