*** Seattle 1 Fanviews Here 9/21/09 ***

SeaSea Posts: 3,011
edited September 2010 in Given To Fly (live)
September 21, 2009 Seattle, Washington, Key Arena

Set List: Long Road, Corduroy, Gonna See My Friend, Got Some, Hail Hail, Amongst The Waves, Daughter, Even Flow, Johnny Guitar, Unthought Known, World Wide Suicide, Small Town, Off He Goes, Down, Save You, The Fixer, Life Wasted

1st encore: Just Breathe w/the Octava String Quartet, The End w/ the Octava String Quartet, Inside Job, Rearviewmirror

2nd encore: Given To Fly, Do The Evolution, Better Man, The Real Me (Townshend) w/ the Syncopated Taint Horn Quartet, Indifference, Alive

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please try to keep the thread for Fanviews....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lmao. "Taint Horn"

Im sorry, I had to.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Had a blast. I thought the new songs were great live, especially The End, Just Breathe, Got Some, and The Fixer. Unknown Thought was pretty damn good too.
    Oh yeah, and this Mike McCready guy? Pretty damn good also.
    :) He owned the stage as always.
    It was nice to see Down, Save You, and Inside Job make the set list.

Can't wait for tomorrow.
    Trent
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    Looking forward to hearing how just beathe as played and if it was full band or not
  • daryl jamdaryl jam Posts: 104
    edited September 2009
    Just got back from the show, loved the new material! Was stoked for Down, Rearviewmirror, Off He Goes, Long Road...Indifference and The Real Me were cool too. Ed made funny comment about the band agreeing with Obama about Kanye being a jackass. Also that he was nervous about the inflatable Space Needle and that we should tear the roof off the arena to look at the real one. Life Wasted was a train wreck tho, lyrically messed plus some kind of mic stand or amp problem i think. Really cool when Ed asked the security to make sure that a little boy down front got a guitar pick. Class Act. See you tommorow.
    Post edited by daryl jam on
    angels dance on a pin head, just to make room for you and i....
  • SamSam Posts: 45
    Just Amazing from start to finish! They were all having so much fun.

Love ya!
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    edited September 2009
    trentk wrote:
    Had a blast. I thought the new songs were great live, especially The End, Just Breathe, Got Some, and The Fixer. Unknown Thought was pretty damn good too.
    Oh yeah, and this Mike McCready guy? Pretty damn good also.
    :) He owned the stage as always.
    It was nice to see Down, Save You, and Inside Job make the set list.

Can't wait for tomorrow.
    Trent

What about Amongst The Waves!? That song had me going nuts.
    The band sounded incredible..Off he Goes was absolutely beautiful.
    The new backdrops are awesome
    Post edited by BlackCorduroy on
  • I enjoyed it immensely, if my calculations are correct this was show number 12 for me. I was pleasantly surprised at my seats (Section 128) on Mike's side, considering I joined the fan club in 2004. I liked hearing the new stuff, mostly because I'm still a little unfamiliar with it, but "Just Breathe" live is a beautful song with awesome lyrics. It was also cool to hear stuff from the previous album as well.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Out of all the new songs played tonight,Ed freakin NAILED
    "The End"!
    I believe it was the closest to what it sounds like on the album.
    Loved all the new songs!
    I am looking forward to a great show#2 tomorrow
  • To hear Off He Goes basically made my night.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • quasiquasi Posts: 492
    Some photos from the show just posted on Seattle PI.com.

http://www.seattlepi.com/ae/gallery.asp ... =9/21/2009
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Great show. I finally got to hear Long Road, Indifference, and Off He Goes (only heard it at Gorge 05 but I don't count it)

They also played my 3 favorites off Backspacer. Seeya all tomorrow
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • interesting that there was no daughter tag....
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Heard the soundcheck with my ear against the door:

Just Breathe
    The End X 2 (twice)
    The Real Me

If you want to add it to the set list on the front page. :)
  • Oh wow it was amazing, where to start? Hearing the soundcheck before the show was cool haha.

When we were in line a guy behind us had a seizure! That was scary but we hear hes doing okay now thank god the medics showed up fast.
    Anyways we had great seats and everyone around us was so cool, I started crying when they played Off He Goes that song means sooo much to me its my favorite song and I am so happy I got to hear it live!
    Wow the new songs are great live, and Eddie did fantastic with The End.
    Also so happy they played Inside Job.
    The crowd was pretty good lots of energy and singing.
    Can't wait for tomorrow! Hoping to hear Jeremy, heheeh.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • So happy -- great show!! I never thought I'd get to hear them do The Real Me. Also loved that they did Daughter, with my 2 daughters in attendance!!! They (the daughters) loved the political commentary, and so did I! It was a hopping Down!

Also enjoyed the b a c k s p a c e r backdrop, just as an aside.

More to come tomorrow!!!!
  • Whew! Awesome concert. Great experience. Ben Harper sounded fantastic. Seated on Mike's side off the floor first section(127), row 10, right on the asile. Great view of the stage and Mike jumping around and acting like a robot. That guy must drink like 30 rockstars and just Beavis out. Loved hearing all the songs from Backspacer and Ed said "it's great to finally be able to play these songs" I'm beat and going to bed. :D
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe Posts: 1,203
    The show poster is awesome. Ames Bros. Surfing sasquatch. A lot of details referring to grunge. Cool.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • bicyclejoe wrote:
    The show poster is awesome. Ames Bros. Surfing sasquatch. A lot of details referring to grunge. Cool.

I thought it was a cool poster too. Not much talk about it though...
  • First off....Pearl Jam played well and the new songs were killer. I enjoyed hearing Unthought Known live. Eddie's comment about backing President Obama's statement of Kanye West being a Jackass was hilarious. I thought the sound was off all night because it seemed like they couldn't find the right mix with Eddie's voice mix or Mike's guitar work. I believe they could have turned up the volume too. I was also sitting by fans who only stood up for ten-vitalogy era songs and didn't know anything off of Backspacer or Self-titled. So, I guess I might have been expecting too much from the Seattle crowd, but damn.... it was the worst crowd that I've seen at a Pearl Jam show and this would be my 12th show seeing them across the country. The Tampa and W. Palm Beach crowds last year absolutely slaughtered this Seattle crowd.

Pearl Jam looked like they were having fun, but you could tell the bad crowd was affecting them. Let's go Seattle!!!! Here's for a great 2nd show.
  • clockistotimeclockistotime Los Angeles, CA Posts: 249
    quasi wrote:
    Some photos from the show just posted on Seattle PI.com.

http://www.seattlepi.com/ae/gallery.asp ... =9/21/2009

it looks like Ed cut his hair a lil' bit... or am i just crazy?
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • loved the energy, seeing them in their hometown was a trip. got 15th center of the aisle, awesome view! the new material is hella good live, gonna see my friend sounds even better. got some = HELL YEAH. and hail hail, i can never get enough of that song. ever.

couple of hours just being into the music and the atmosphere, was something much needed. loved sharing it in a room filled with folks just as excited as i was to be there!

i love this band :)
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    Heard the soundcheck with my ear against the door:

Just Breathe
    The End X 2 (twice)
    The Real Me

If you want to add it to the set list on the front page. :)

are you sure about this?

I heard it was very different thats all.

a friend was there and the soundcheck he reported back was

i am mine, off he goes, unthought known, and the real me and a tiny bit of inside job 15 mins later
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Had an AMAZING time!!! So many songs I have never heard live before, not even counting all the Backspacer songs!! I thought the band sound GREAT!!! Cool to see them with a little string section for Just Breathe and The End, and then a horn section for The Real Me!!!

Opening with Long Road was cool and closing with Alive was very different!!!

Will post more about it at a later time as I process it. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, had a BLAST!! Thanks for the great seats 10c!!!
  • Great show!!! . . . a few pics and off to bed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42719033@N ... 430830440/

Unthought Known . . . wow!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-Vkj_mUQ4
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Great show!!! . . . a few pics and off to bed:

Wow!! is right. Thanks for that.....that was great sound and picture
  • Another amazing show tonight. Just winding down in the hotel right now.

The show started off with a great version of Long Road then straight into some fast paced cuts. IMO Gonna See My Friends and Got Some sounded bad ass. Amongst the Waves followed Daughter I believe and it didn't come off as well IMO.

The 2nd Encore was like a PJ career snapshot. GTF, DTE, RVM were all fantastic. I was up in section 114 with awesome people. One of my best friends from Utah ended up right next to me. Thanks for knowing that 10c :mrgreen:

Ready for round 2 tomorrow!
    NERDS!
  • lmao. "Taint Horn"

Im sorry, I had to.

hahah truly a beavis and butthead moment. i'm right there with you
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • jdelinjdelin Posts: 189

Wow Unthought Known sounded awesome! They need to make it to Boston to play these new songs ASAP!

NY 9/29/96; NJ 9/8/98; NY 9/10/98; NY 8/24/00; Mansfield 7/2/03; Mansfield 7/11/03; Boston 9/28/04 (VFC); Post-Letterman, NY 5/4/06; Boston 5/24/06; Boston 5/25/06; Mansfield 6/28/08; Mansfield 6/30/08; Boston 5/17/10; Dublin 6/22/10; Alpine Valley 9/3/11; Alpine Valley 9/4/11; Worcester 10/15/13; Worcester 10/16/13; Brooklyn 10/18/13; Philadelphia 4/29/16; Boston 8/5/16; Boston 8/7/16, Seattle 8/8/18, Seattle 8/10/18, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18

Mike Watt featuring EV, NY 4/27/95; Three Fish w/JA, NY 7/11/96; Three Fish w/JA, NY 6/11/99; EV Solo, Boston 8/1/08, Tres Mts. w/JA & MM, Boston 3/27/11; EV Solo, Boston 6/16/11
  • CalumCalum Posts: 635
    im buying the boot just for this lol

Just Breathe w/the Octava String Quartet, The End w/ the Octava String Quartet
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • jdelin wrote:

Wow Unthought Known sounded awesome! They need to make it to Boston to play these new songs ASAP!
    UK's my favorite on Backspacer. I thought that clip they sounded a little sloppy. I feel like they started it too fast, so it lost the appeal it gets from the way the song builds.