*** Seattle 1 Fanviews Here 9/21/09 ***

Comments

• I'm sure I'll get called out on this but I felt it was a bit forced. Maybe it was just the new material but it kinda felt too 'produced' I guess and the flow didn't feel there. We got some cool tunes... love Indifference and Off He Goes always, and I dug the horns and strings even though the horns were not super audible over on Mike's side. I enjoyed the show but just didn't get as into it as normal. My +1 had a good time and thought the energy was good though, so maybe I just had an off night.

I will chalk it up to first show of tour edginess ( for me or them? :) ), and look forward to going back tonite. I was at the two Key Arena shows in 2000 when Ed bashed the crowd night one then came back and rocked out night two. We'll see what tonite holds!
    Life is Participation in Evolution
    believe you me, i do believe
  • CaliBigWaveCaliBigWave California Posts: 83
    My first time finally seeing them in Seattle, been waiting years for this night and it didn't disappoint. Loved the setlist, loved the energy, and Gonna See My Friend sounded like a freight train passing by. My favorite of the night. Very happy to see Just Breathe and The End. Knew it was gonna be a great night no matter what when I picked up my tix and was one of the lucky ones in row 9 with my 217xxx number. Can't wait for night two! :D
  • Hah i know, I'm 1/2 dead here at work too... on 2nd cup of coffee...

I'm not very good at taking pics at shows, they never come out right. I have a few videos on my FB, they're nothing spectacular though. :)

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 9210_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 8745_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 2925_n.jpg

Oohhh yes, I remember 2000! I went to both shows and night 2 was def better. :-)
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • Enjoyed the show. I thought the new songs sounded awesome live. I gotta tell you though, The fucking crowd sucked. Lets pick it up tonight people. Thats all. See you later.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• From where I was sitting the crowd was very much into it. The band was AWESOME! I think Got Some was probably my favorite, that song just rocks live! Evolution was awesome too, so much energy! I was a little annoyed when Ed brought up how he went and bought the new record at "Target". Overall it was a fantastic show, top 3 in the 11 that I've been to.
    "Counts his money every morning, the only thing that keeps him horny"
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    anyone have a pic of the PJ Seahawks shirt?
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    Heard the soundcheck with my ear against the door:

Just Breathe
    The End X 2 (twice)
    The Real Me

If you want to add it to the set list on the front page. :)

are you sure about this?

I heard it was very different thats all.

a friend was there and the soundcheck he reported back was

i am mine, off he goes, unthought known, and the real me and a tiny bit of inside job 15 mins later
    I am positive. I was walking by the lower North side of the Key and heard the beginning of Just Breathe and stood there with my ear to the door and listened to it with board member "A satellite forever orbiting" He can verify what we heard. We could hear the string arrangements and I believe that why they did The End twice is so they could make sure everyone was on the same page. ;)
  • sennin wrote:
    anyone have a pic of the PJ Seahawks shirt?
    Check the merch thread - http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=106209
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • I thought the crowd was fine. Not the best I've seen, but not horrible. I think for me anyways, I wasn't real energetic during the new songs because I wanted to focus on the guys and take the songs in for the first time. You don't get too many opportunities to see something played live for the first time, and we saw 5 of them last night!
  • http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2009920028_pearljam23.html

Review of the show written by Charles Cross...good stuff!
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    http://blog.thenewstribune.com/tacomaro ... /#more-718

Another review with pictures from Ernest Jasmin at the TNT in Tacoma.
  • the S/N version of the poster is up at amesbrosshop.com
  • So was the Seahawks shirt a one off? I got to the front of the Merch table just as it sold out there. After 2 posters and a "special event shirt", I did not have time to stand in another line for one.
  • first time in seattle... awesome show...
    off he goes, inside job, just breathe... eddie's voice perfect not like @ the Outside Lands Festival... enjoy the part about the phone calls (ed thanks stone for calling mike before he dropped his guitar career, and then he thanks matt for pick up the phone when they called him, and finally he thanks jeff, stone and mike for called him... awesome, mike goes and hug stone and jeff...) that's friendship and that's a f***ing band
    thanks for an excellent night at the beutiful seattle... unfortunately can't go tonite (job obligation... no money-no concerts :lol: ) but I bet is going to be better... anyway I'll see them again @LA4 and SD
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
    first time in seattle... awesome show...
    off he goes, inside job, just breathe... eddie's voice perfect not like @ the Outside Lands Festival... enjoy the part about the phone calls (ed thanks stone for calling mike before he dropped his guitar career, and then he thanks matt for pick up the phone when they called him, and finally he thanks jeff, stone and mike for called him... awesome, mike goes and hug stone and jeff...) that's friendship and that's a f***ing band
    thanks for an excellent night at the beutiful seattle... unfortunately can't go tonite (job obligation... no money-no concerts :lol: ) but I bet is going to be better... anyway I'll see them again @LA4 and SD
    "All it took was four phone calls!" :lol: That was a neat moment though.
  • JonTurnerJonTurner Posts: 89
    edited September 2009
    This was my 22nd show, but my first in Seattle. I haven't seen them in 3 years, and all except for Vegas 2006 (when I moved there) were on the east coast. That said, I thought the crowd last night was one of the worst at a Pearl Jam show that I've been to. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible by any means, but around me at least (and I was 31st row, floor), most people were just standing there or, in the case of one couple, doing drunk dances slapping each others asses all night - drove my g/f nuts lol. They were distracting, but at least I prefer that to people just standing there. The crowd as a whole just didn't seem to be that into the new songs which was really frustrating - I thought Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, and Unthought Known would be huge and anthemetic (word?) live, and I loved them, but it didn't help that the crowd didn't seem to be into them at all...

Hopefully it'll be better tonight... all that said, the band itself was amazing as always. Eddie flubbed a decent number of lyrics, but I never mind that too much - he had a funny improv or two b/c of it. The Kanye comment was hilarious too, and the band had some other good non-musical moments like the "thank you" speech already talked about in the thread. I wish the string quartet was a little louder - it was cool having them on stage for Just Breathe and The End, but I had to strain to make them out in the songs at all (same with the Saxes during The Real Me).

So overall, the music was sick of course, maybe I just expected too much from a Seattle crowd... I expect it'll be better tonight! I'm really looking forward to tonight's set, last night seemed to be a little too much a greatest hits show aside from the new stuff... songs I'm hoping for tonight: In Hiding, Faithful, In My Tree, Present Tense, I Got Shit (my 5 favorites), SOLAT, Brother, Tremor Christ, Last Exit, Army Reserve, Marker in the Sand, Go, Animal, Rats, Release, Why Go, Black... I expect we'll get a lot of those too, really looking forward to tonight!!!
    Post edited by JonTurner on
    It makes much more sense... to live... in the present tense
  • Looks like a great set, but I gotta ask, why are they playing The Real Me in like every show? I've never really liked that song, Baba O'Reilly or any other of their covers is so much better.
    Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • JonTurner wrote:
    This was my 22nd show, but my first in Seattle. I haven't seen them in 3 years, and all except for Vegas 2006 (when I moved there) were on the east coast. That said, I thought the crowd last night was one of the worst at a Pearl Jam show that I've been to. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible by any means, but around me at least (and I was 31st row, floor), most people were just standing there or, in the case of one couple, doing drunk dances slapping each others asses all night - drove my g/f nuts lol. They were distracting, but at least I prefer that to people just standing there. The crowd as a whole just didn't seem to be that into the new songs which was really frustrating - I thought Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, and Unthought Known would be huge and anthemetic (word?) live, and I loved them, but it didn't help that the crowd didn't seem to be into them at all...

Hopefully it'll be better tonight... all that said, the band itself was amazing as always. Eddie flubbed a decent number of lyrics, but I never mind that too much - he had a funny improv or two b/c of it. The Kanye comment was hilarious too, and the band had some other good non-musical moments like the "thank you" speech already talked about in the thread. I wish the string quartet was a little louder - it was cool having them on stage for Just Breathe and The End, but I had to strain to make them out in the songs at all (same with the Saxes during The Real Me).

So overall, the music was sick of course, maybe I just expected too much from a Seattle crowd... I expect it'll be better tonight! I'm really looking forward to tonight's set, last night seemed to be a little too much a greatest hits show aside from the new stuff... songs I'm hoping for tonight: In Hiding, Faithful, In My Tree, Present Tense, I Got Shit (my 5 favorites), SOLAT, Brother, Tremor Christ, Last Exit, Army Reserve, Marker in the Sand, Go, Animal, Rats, Release, Why Go, Black... I expect we'll get a lot of those too, really looking forward to tonight!!!

I noticed that about some of further rows on the floor. I was sitting in 128, which is about center court and that section was rocking.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2009920028_pearljam23.html

Review of the show written by Charles Cross...good stuff!
    Funny comment about Even Flow. It was better than most EF's I'd seen :lol:

The crowd was good on my side "Stone"

Stoked for tonight!
    NERDS!
    Funny, you people are complaining about last nights crowd not rocking out to the new stuff....the new stuff that was just released THE DAY BEFORE THE SHOW. Could it be, that a lot of fans didn't KNOW the new material yet and were soaking it in?

Again, from my perspective (row 12 floor AA), the whole place seemed to be having the time of their lives and really rocking out/enjoying the show.
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    Funny, you people are complaining about last nights crowd not rocking out to the new stuff....the new stuff that was just released THE DAY BEFORE THE SHOW. Could it be, that a lot of fans didn't KNOW the new material yet and were soaking it in?

Again, from my perspective (row 12 floor AA), the whole place seemed to be having the time of their lives and really rocking out/enjoying the show.

Exactly! I've listened to the album maybe 8 times before the show, and I just wanted to watch and listen to what they were doing. I didn't realize I needed to jump up and down and scream during Just Breathe and The End...
  • anakin_pdx wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

Exactly! I've listened to the album maybe 8 times before the show, and I just wanted to watch and listen to what they were doing. I didn't realize I needed to jump up and down and scream during Just Breathe and The End...

i went pee during just breathe and the end.
  • Well it was an interesting show, I thought it started out really well, Long Road was great, Gonna See My freinds will be an instant classic.

I will say this though it was too hit friendly for my liking. honestly it felt like a festival show, It just seem to get a little of the same old some old towards the end and finishing on Alive was just kind of like, ok thats it see you tomorrow. For the first show back in Seattle since a couple years, i would say this was middle of the Road

I really do think some of the songs need to put on the shelf for a bit, there great songs we all know which ones they are, but made dust off some old ones and make stars. I mean no supersonic...but we got room for elderly.

Anyways it was great to see them. The merchadise price is a getting a bit out of control. The poster was colorful some neat little tidbits, but didn't feel the need to buy it :). By the way Sir Mix A Lot was there, got a picture of him flipping us off, classy!
    Be Green and Free
  • My husband and I had a BLAST. I thought they sounded fantastic and was totally happy with the set list. Off he goes just made my night. As someone else also mentioned. I have a pretty high number 400XXX and was in row 14 in a side section. I was totally thrilled with my 10C seats. I had prepared myself for much much worse. So, thanks for that 10C.

As a side note, I had some wasted jackass sitting in front of me that friggin texted on his cell phone all night and even called someone. wtf? seriously. He could have stayed at home and done that. He came and went about 10 times from his seat. :lol: It was annoying, but I did enjoy when he fell through some of the seats and caused a ruckus. I believe he also lost a concact lens at some point. What a dick. I'm sorry if that guy is here, but man, you are probably one one of the most inconsiderate concert-goers I've ever had the priveledge of sitting near in all of my 30+ years of going to concerts. I know anyone can have a bad night due to consumption of preconcert intoxicants, but this guy was the worst.
  • what a f####in goood concert!!!

it'll remain in history!!
    Spin, Spin!!
    Spin The Black Circle!!

Viva la Vinyl
  • DID ANYONE HAPPEN TO GET 'OFF HE GOES' ON VIDEO FROM LAST NIGHT???

(yes, I am shouting :lol: )
  • Incredible setlist. We knew we'd get a lot of Backspacer and rightgeously so. Starting the west coast tour off with Long Road was so great. Throwing Small Town in there in Seattle, just approapriate. And not ending with Yellow Ledbetter was so nice. I truly feel this was one of the most solid setlists in all the shows I've seen. The crowd was great overall. Though the mother and daughter in front of me sat for half of the show. It sucks I must be a responsible husband and father to be and only get to go to this one show, but for me, a really great show. Great to be in Seattle, great to meet new friends and see old friends I've met along way. Great to be growing older with a band we've known for almost 20 years. Have fun on the rest of the tour!

PS, be careful of that merch stand!! It will suck your money away from you. I blew over $200 between PJ and Ames Bros, but I did get to meet the Ames Bros and shake the brother of PJ Royality's hand!!
  • We were jammin' out hard in section 114.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    "All it took was four phone calls!" :lol: That was a neat moment though.

Am I missing a joke or something? Because I only counted three phone calls, lol.
  • im agreeing with everyone else, this was my first concert seeing pearl jam ever! but i still didnt feel the vibe during the new songs besides the fixer. But, i loved the concert just i was hoping more vs. or even some more ten songs since they have been known to play that and yellow ledbetter but its all good :D i still enjoyed the show very much and im jealous of the people who are going tonight too!
  • [quote=i went pee during just breathe and the end.[/quote]

I hope you mean that you actually left your seat and went to the restroom...
    ;)
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
    Ohana Encore 10/01/21
    San Diego 5/03/22
    Los Angeles 5/21/24
    Los Angeles 5/22/24