blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    ^

hhhhaaaaaaaa!
    nice.
    :)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    im straight... but i have a couple of gay friends and in general the GLBT community always seems to be the most genuine and caring sort of people... so count me in on the club! now when do i get my membership card and xmas single?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Glad you spoke up here, as I've seen some subtle, some blatant homophobic commentary on this board that has made me pretty sick. I just joined and I love having this proximity to so many other fans, but this is one thing I've noticed that I find disheartening. I usually like dudes, but I'll be in your club anyway! :)

so we are not allowed to be homophobic. I am, doesnt mean I have to be mean or ANYHTING but it is how I grew up, and it makes me very uncomfortable,

sorry that this makes you sick, but in America we are both allowed to feel sick about certain issues.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    so we are not allowed to be homophobic. I am, doesnt mean I have to be mean or ANYHTING but it is how I grew up, and it makes me very uncomfortable,

sorry that this makes you sick, but in America we are both allowed to feel sick about certain issues.
    you certainly dont have to voice your discomfort at the expense of people in this thread... you have no more of a right to be openly homophobic than to be openly racist... and im sure if you dropped an "N-bomb" thered be some ramifications

if you dont like it... just avoid it... thats the beauty of message boards

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    besides me, are you queer or do you know of any queer/GLBT Pearl Jam fans? I think we should start a club or something.

huh? You ask "Are you queer?" I thought "queer" was a hateful term like "fag."

If I were to ask a gay person if they were queer, they'd think I'm being an asshole.

So am I to understand that gay people use the word "queer" the same way black people use "nigger?" meaning it's okay for them to say but if I (a straight, white male) were to say either of those words, I'd be homophobic or racist?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    so we are not allowed to be homophobic. I am, doesnt mean I have to be mean or ANYHTING but it is how I grew up, and it makes me very uncomfortable

Your comments make me uncomfortable. As sgossard3 said, you don't have to comment. I'm not sure why you'd enter a thread about GLBT PJ fans just to say you're homophobic. I avoid the blatant macho sausage fest threads, I know they're there, I just ignore them. Simple. Be respectful, we're all just people after all.

gwerty wrote:
    Im gay too. There are a few of us, but hard to find in the crowd. The whole "gay guys dont like rock music" is a sterotype. The are plenty of gay guys that like good music, just as there are plenty of straight guys that watch Sex in the City(i dont). I brought up the "are there any gay fans" a few years ago on this board, and got some pretty hatefull comments directed towards me. Im glad to see that this thread is a lot more respectful.

That's horrible that you got hateful comments! I'm really sorry to hear that happened on this board and I'm hoping this thread doesn't start to degenerate into something similar. ITA that "gay guys don't like rock music" is an inaccurate stereotype.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    Tone wrote:
    Your comments make me uncomfortable. As sgossard3 said, you don't have to comment. I'm not sure why you'd enter a thread about GLBT PJ fans just to say you're homophobic. I avoid the blatant macho sausage fest threads, I know they're there, I just ignore them. Simple. Be respectful, we're all just people after all.
    you know the people that are overzealous and open with their homophobia are often using it to hide their own "forbidden" sexual urges ;):D

• Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    sgossard3 wrote:
    you know the people that are overzealous and open with their homophobia are often using it to hide their own "forbidden" sexual urges ;):D

Indeed ;)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    you certainly dont have to voice your discomfort at the expense of people in this thread... you have no more of a right to be openly homophobic than to be openly racist... and im sure if you dropped an "N-bomb" thered be some ramifications

if you dont like it... just avoid it... thats the beauty of message boards

I would never drop words like that, and I am very mouthy, I have respect for who people are, I was just raised in an area where things were a certain way and its hard to change inner thoughts.

no more shows
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

First off I can read what I want, just like you can support what you want, I wasnt disrespectful, I commented on how people like me make you or whoever sick. We are all equal and and have all been through differant expierences and ended up where we are today, thats the beuaty of life, the hard part is getting along and accepting people. We are all hear to learn from eachother.

As far as my forbidden sex urges, I AM MARRIED AND FAITHFULL AND LOVE THE WIFE AND MY SEX LIFE IS WHERE I WANT IT. If I was attracted to men I would go get 1.

no more shows
  • Options
    First off I can read what I want, just like you can support what you want, I wasnt disrespectful, I commented on how people like me make you or whoever sick. We are all equal and and have all been through differant expierences and ended up where we are today, thats the beuaty of life, the hard part is getting along and accepting people. We are all hear to learn from eachother.

As far as my forbidden sex urges, I AM MARRIED AND FAITHFULL AND LOVE THE WIFE AND MY SEX LIFE IS WHERE I WANT IT. If I was attracted to men I would go get 1.
    just playin

congrats on the sex!

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    sgossard3 wrote:
    just playin

congrats on the sex!

hahaha
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    smile05 wrote:
    think i might be Pearl Jam gay
    i'm hetro,married with two kids
    two of my all time heroes are Michael Stipe & Stephen Fry
    Whoo Hooo! Right on about Stephen Fry. He's an amazing man. Check out his podcasts.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838

no doubt you have your own feelings and your entitled to them (as ignorant as they are), but as far as letting it be known, yeah.......why should you go around making it known how sick it makes you? fuckin walk away from it if ya can't stomach it and keep the ignorant thoughts to yourself.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    no doubt you have your own feelings and your entitled to them (as ignorant as they are), but as far as letting it be known, yeah.......why should you go around making it known how sick it makes you? fuckin walk away from it if ya can't stomach it and keep the ignorant thoughts to yourself.

see, this is whats wrong with this place, now you gotta talk down to me and act all tuff, I didnt start a thread, I responded to someone who mentioned poeple who have thoughts like me make them sick, I obviously am on the other side here.
    Last time I checked I just dont go in and out of threads talkiing about my standards on this subject. So calm your nasty down and relax.
    And why should I have to keep my thoughts to myself and others who agree with you do not? That is whats wrong with this whole world, people see things from their side only.
    For people who want things so equal why should they not be alble to accept how others feel.

no more shows
  • Options

please show me where I said anything makes me sick, becasue not much does, I said uncomfortable.
    credibility usually starts with understanding what you are debating, I think you have been sitting here just waiting for someone to show up from the other side and here was your chance to blow up.

no more shows
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    just playin

congrats on the sex!
    Its all good, I understand we are all equal, I just am explaing my side, it obviously comes from upbringing, and I sociallize with every walk of life, I am uncomfortable with the differant acts of sex, not who people are, hopefully I didnt send that harsh of a measage.

no more shows
  • Options
    ciaochowciaochow Posts: 97
    So am I to understand that gay people use the word "queer" the same way black people use "nigger?" meaning it's okay for them to say but if I (a straight, white male) were to say either of those words, I'd be homophobic or racist?

Yep, something like that.
    linzpjam wrote:
    Cool thread - I'm in the club! I'm a woman, huge PJ fan (I'm up to 40 shows I think), bi-sexual, currently in a 7 year relationship with my girlfriend. I'm used to being in the minority everywhere (except here in NE Portland, where everything goes!), so the PJ crowd isn't that different. I'm happy to report that we haven't felt any negative vibes at the shows we've been to.

One funny thing, I started a thread at Christmas, bragging about the amazing Eddie ITW mosaic that my girlfriend made for me. I got some funny, somewhat macho responses like: "DUDE you should marry that girl, she's a keeper!" and "I hope you made some sweet, sweet love to her", etc. Well, I can't marry her but had no problem with the 2nd suggestion!

Right on - glad you haven't had any negative vibes at the shows. I hope you two do get a chance to be married someday soon (if that's what you want, of course). Queer Canadians have been marrying for years now... and our country hasn't fallen apart :)
    qwerty wrote:
    Im gay too. There are a few of us, but hard to find in the crowd. The whole "gay guys dont like rock music" is a sterotype. The are plenty of gay guys that like good music, just as there are plenty of straight guys that watch Sex in the City(i dont). I brought up the "are there any gay fans" a few years ago on this board, and got some pretty hatefull comments directed towards me. Im glad to see that this thread is a lot more respectful.

Or, at least, it was respectful and suddenly it turned ugly. Perhaps things are getting better in North America for us in the LBGT community at large. Anyway, welcome to the party!
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    16. toronto - aug '08 (ev solo)
    15. toronto - aug '08 (ev solo)
    14. montreal - aug '08 (ev solo)
    13. montreal - aug '08 (ev solo)
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    10. mansfield, ma - july '03
    9. NYC - oct '00 (nader rally)
    8. mansfield, ma - sept '00
    7. DC - sept '98 (voters for choice)
    6. NYC - sept '98
    5. east rutherford, NJ - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    3. augusta, me - sept '96
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    ciaochowciaochow Posts: 97
    Its all good, I understand we are all equal, I just am explaing my side, it obviously comes from upbringing, and I sociallize with every walk of life, I am uncomfortable with the differant acts of sex, not who people are, hopefully I didnt send that harsh of a measage.

It really doesn't interest me at all to start an argument with you but I do want to mention that I grew up in very, very small northern Canadian towns rampant with homophobia. I know you can break free of that mentality and not be tied to the past and the status quo of where you grew up.
    20. ottawa - may '16
    19. ottawa - may '11
    18. montreal - sept '11
    17. toronto - aug '09
    16. toronto - aug '08 (ev solo)
    15. toronto - aug '08 (ev solo)
    14. montreal - aug '08 (ev solo)
    13. montreal - aug '08 (ev solo)
    12. toronto - may '06
    11. ottawa - sept '05
    10. mansfield, ma - july '03
    9. NYC - oct '00 (nader rally)
    8. mansfield, ma - sept '00
    7. DC - sept '98 (voters for choice)
    6. NYC - sept '98
    5. east rutherford, NJ - sept '98
    4. montreal - aug '98
    3. augusta, me - sept '96
    2. toronto - sept '96
    1. gimli - aug '93
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    It saddens me that it would matter to some people, the sexual preference of a fan.

Music is a universal language. It's amazing how PJ can bring together so many different people from all walks of life. We're all different in millions of ways.

I basically look at it this way: I have no business caring or minding who you sleep with at night. If you rock out to Pearl Jam, you're good in my book.
  • Options
    Redmosquito91Redmosquito91 Jackson, WY Posts: 48
    alright... i read every post so far sooo lets see here is my 2 cents...

- i am gay. i LOVE pearl jam and their music has changed my world soo much! i have for years wondered about posting athread to see if there were any other glbt fans. it would be really refreshing to go to shows with people from the same walk of life who are also part of the Jamily. and yes if a glbta pearl jam fan group is established for sure count me in!

- i was impressed that this thread got so far before too much testosterone and close mindedness got in the way of a discussion amongst fans.

- to the person who stated their sickness about gay individuals... i respect your honesty and your viewpoints. although i disagree, communication is important and can fix alot of the world. as long as people are respectful then all viewpoints are valid.

sooo yeah... gays, lesbians, straight allies, and pearl jam are all awesome.
    Pittsburgh 4/26/03, State College 5/3/03, Reading 10/1/04, Toledo 10/2/04, Toronto 9/19/05, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Cincinnati 6/24/06, Washington D.C. 6/22/08, Cleveland 5/9/10, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Missoula 8/13/18, Denver 9/22/22, St. Paul 8/31/23, St. Paul 9/2/23
  • Options
    florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    I live in Massachusetts. This is the first state to legalize gay marriage. I support that right.
    Hold On
  • Options
    I'm not interested in fighting either, but since it was my post that set off the cascade of negativity I feel like I need to respond...

I think it was brave for parasol to start this thread and I'm glad she did. My interpretation of it was as a shout in the dark for other queer PJ fans, within a community that often feels really hetero-male oriented. (MSG was a serious sausagefest - not that there is anything wrong with sausage obviously! Moderation in all things.) It was not an invitation for you to air out your innermost feelings of discomfort about homosexual acts. Homophobic commentary makes me sick because it is hateful. I think it is important to call people out on hateful language, and in person I almost always do. But there is only so much effort I'm willing to put into a web message board...so I used this thread as an opportunity say how I feel, as it supports the original poster, which was my intent. If you are so sure that you are right in your dislike for the queer lifestyle then you shouldn't give a shit what I think, anyway.

And for the record, my parents are homophobic bigots. But I'm an adult and I think for myself. And I stick to lighter subjects like the weather when I visit home.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    See that's your problem right there, along with million other anti-gay supporters out there, you see them for their sexual acts first and not as humans like the rest of us. And why should their sexual acts bother you? They're doing it in their own home(s)/hotel(s) (at least I hope they are).

If you're a good person and you contribute to your community and society, you shouldn't be discredited because of your sexual orientation or race or nationality and so forth.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729

i think some people are putting words in your mouth a little bit. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you were just trying to be honest and say that being around gay people can make you a bit uncomfortable. i don't think you insinuated any kind of bigotry or hatred of gay people by simply stating the fact that you can feel uncomfortable in a situation in which gay people are present. i think it's admirable that you can admit this, and i agree with you that you have the right to (and also can't help) the way you inherently feel. even as a gay dude myself, i am uncomfortable around groups of gay guys. it's just the way i am.

i think "homophobic" in your case is just a feeling of discomfort rather than being "anti-gay." i'm not sure everyone in this thread got that distinction. as long as you don't treat people badly just because you're uncomfortable around them, i don't see any kind of problem.
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    i think some people are putting words in your mouth a little bit. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you were just trying to be honest and say that being around gay people can make you a bit uncomfortable. i don't think you insinuated any kind of bigotry or hatred of gay people by simply stating the fact that you can feel uncomfortable in a situation in which gay people are present. i think it's admirable that you can admit this, and i agree with you that you have the right to (and also can't help) the way you inherently feel. even as a gay dude myself, i am uncomfortable around groups of gay guys. it's just the way i am.

i think "homophobic" in your case is just a feeling of discomfort rather than being "anti-gay." i'm not sure everyone in this thread got that distinction. as long as you don't treat people badly just because you're uncomfortable around them, i don't see any kind of problem.

kudos to you for being accepting of a different point of view. the golden rule in practice....

"homophobia" is a fear of gay people. disagreeing with a lifestyle or being uncomfortable with it does not mean you are afraid of it

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options

well put.
    you are 100 percent right, I am not anti gay at all.

no more shows
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    nowayimfaithful-
    how can the "different acts of sex" make you uncomfortable??? you're not the one doing them!!!

Honestly, you can't see inside other people's bedrooms. it makes me uncomfortable to imagine certain straight people having sex-have you ever had a straight friend give a little TMI about their sex life and you're like..um, ew, didn't need to know that about you-but you don't "speak out" against that do you??? It's none of your business. You probably do things in the bedroom no one wants to hear about either. Why is it ok for you to have sex with whom and how you want to but not for other people???
  • Options
    robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    that there bible don't say nuthin' bout Adam and Steve - LOL
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    CityMouse wrote:
    nowayimfaithful-
    how can the "different acts of sex" make you uncomfortable??? you're not the one doing them!!!

Honestly, you can't see inside other people's bedrooms. it makes me uncomfortable to imagine certain straight people having sex-have you ever had a straight friend give a little TMI about their sex life and you're like..um, ew, didn't need to know that about you-but you don't "speak out" against that do you??? It's none of your business. You probably do things in the bedroom no one wants to hear about either. Why is it ok for you to have sex with whom and how you want to but not for other people???

exactly. but leave it there. and that goes for EVERYBODY.

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged